Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Diorissimo by Christian Dior

I wore this today for the first time. It finally clicked, THIS is what lily of the valley smells like! Okay...now I now.

Soapy, almost like the bubbly part of Ivory soap that smells a bit like lye...at the edges a slight chamomile like floral. I recognize it as the smell of perhaps of US household cleansing products (dishwashing machine rinse aid?) but not in a harsh synthetic way but softer, pillowy, non-powdery.

It's been mentioned that Diorissimo has been tragically reformulated - that the original Edmond Roudnitska creation had an animalic tang to it that is missing. I can see what they mean. The only thing I smelled slightly daring was a hint of tuberose (or jasmine) indole. Not anything remotely animalic. Clean. Proper. Kind of like the origins of where Puro Lino and Clean Men started from.

It goes without saying that I would love to smell vintage juice. How does one tell they're buying vintage? The bottle shape / box?

I'm wondering do any of you guys wear/enjoy Diorissimo?
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Default Re: Diorissimo by Christian Dior

Thumbs up for Diorissimo! Tried it last week for the first time myself - a very nice jasmine-muguet chypre.

You know, it's funny, you have so many of perfume's "star" flowers growing down there - jasmine, tuberose, gardenia - that I forget that it's probably far too warm for lily-of-the-valley. Diorissimo is more full and interesting than the real thing to my nose... lily of the valley in nature is a very "pure" fragrance, like a beam of white light, rather than complex flowers like tuberose, rose, jasmine etc. Even cheap fragrances tend to recreate it fairly well ( if make it a little overpowering, at times ).

I've heard the parfum strength is the better version of the modern stuff, but I haven't tried it myself.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    You know, it's funny, you have so many of perfume's "star" flowers growing down there - jasmine, tuberose, gardenia - that I forget that it's probably far too warm for lily-of-the-valley. Diorissimo is more full and interesting than the real thing to my nose... lily of the valley in nature is a very "pure" fragrance, like a beam of white light, rather than complex flowers like tuberose, rose, jasmine etc. Even cheap fragrances tend to recreate it fairly well ( if make it a little overpowering, at times ).

I've heard the parfum strength is the better version of the modern stuff, but I haven't tried it myself.
    You are right, I've never encountered real lily of the valley at all, here in Miami. Same with a bunch of flowers. Roses are very rare down here (too hot, too many bugs, etc).

I need to test the parfum.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Blog Entries

Another nice Lily-of-the-Valley scent is DelRae Debut. It's a fresh, green, L-O-V.