Code of Conduct

Thread: Guerlain recs

Default Guerlain recs

Hi everyone,

I am fairly new to the world of perfumes.
    I am interested in trying some Guerlain frags-- so far I've only tried Shalimar Light which I like a lot. I'm not sure how to define my taste, but here is my concern: I do not want the fragrance to come off as too "elderly." (I'm a 22 year old woman)

So far I have 10 frags. The ones I like best are Hermes Un Jardin En Mediteranee, Shalimar Light, and YSL Paris Spring Jardins Romantiques.

The ones I like least are: Hermes Concentree D' Orange Verte (due to a powdery/fruity mix which disagrees with me), Eclat D'Arpege (which I like but has a sharp, metallic, chemical edge), and Rochas Byzance (which has a sharp soapiness I can taste in my mouth LOL)

Any ideas?
    (Mitsouko, Shalimar, Samsara, etc)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Guerlain recs

Well, I'm no Guerlain expert -- I hope that other, more experienced hands give their advice.
    If you like Jardin Mediteranee (a green figgy scent), then you might be lucky to find and sample Sous Les Vent, a limited edition dry green chypre. That is a favorite of mine.
    Cheers,
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Post Thanks / Like

Hi MissCasey and welcome. First off, Shalimar Light is the furthest thing from an elderly lady scent, so no worries there. Secondly, Shalimar (original) is an absolutely gorgeous scent and I have been wearing it since I was around 10 years old. I have received more compliments on Shalimar than most others (and I have close to 400 bottles) so what does that tell you. I have always felt super sexy while wearing Shalimar, so don't dismiss it too quickly. Shalimar; she may be an old gal in age, but she is still a sexy hot thing.
    Have fun and explore. Remember you have to wear the scent, don't let the scent wear you. Go forth and Shalimar Light, then move on to Jicky.
    Last edited by Brielle87; 8th May 2009 at 04:23 AM.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I like L'Instant de Guerlain on my wife, and I think it's a bit like Un Jardin en Méditerranée. And there is also the Aqua Allegoria line. I'm wondering if the Figue-Iris might work for you.

Hi, and welcome!

PS - Shalimar rocks! Still hot. It's just timeless.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, I agree that the classic Guerlains are often that because they're timeless and wearable by all ages.
    If you're not keen on powder, that's going to go across the board, whether it's 'fumes from a venerable ancient house like Guerlain or a supermodernist like Comme des Garcons.

If you like Shalimar light, then great. Might be that's 'your' Guerlain. I haven't tried it yet, but it's on my 'to test' list (which grows daily, even though I've been sniffing like billyoh for the last three years!). There are a bunch of excellent suggestions above, I'll definitely second Jicky (try it in the Eau de Toilette form first - it's lighter and more lavender/citrus and fresh than the parfum or edp, which have more civet in them). The Aqua Allegorias were originally intended to be an 'introductory' Guerlain range aimed at younger women who found the classics a bit intimidating. They're a lot fresher and you can spritz and re-spritz with abandon.

I'd also suggest you try Nahema, the big Guerlain rose. I have no idea if you'll find it too 'elderly' but it's worth a sniff. Another one I think is worth trying is Chamade. (Though I must point out that I like powder, so I might not notice things you find vile. Hey, that's what personal taste is all about though. ) And oh, what about the recent Guerlains? L'Instant, L'Instant Magie and Insolence? Insolence edt had a scary hairspray topnote but they've changed that in the edp. Oooh, ooh, and ask to smell the Guerlain Vetiver. It's a men's fragrance but that has not stopped a massive number of women wearing it with great distinction. It's really fresh and citrusy and a bit herbal. Gorgeous stuff.

One unrelated suggestion is that as you go around sniffing things, you might be lucky enough to get some samples of different perfumes. (Let's be honest here - you're extremely likely to splash the cash for a bottle of something from Guerlain, so why not ask the assistant at the counter for a bunch of samples so you can try the different perfumes on your skin a couple of times before you make your mind up?) If you do get some samples, give them a try and even if you don't like them, hang onto them. Try them again in a few months, as you learn more and have tried more things. Sometimes they're handy to have as a reference, even if it's to remind you what you don't like.

Enjoy!
    x
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Hillaire

I second L'Instant!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Miss Casey,

I'm quite the newbie too, and I recently bought a number of Guerlain decants off of eBay. And I have to admit that I really like Samsara. In Turin's book it's called very "eighties and loud," but I don't find that at all. It's definitely got a spicyness to it, which I like. Guess I'm figuring out that I'm definitely a fan of Orientals. Anyway, it's all about how it wears on each individual person's skin right? So give it a sniff. I also bought some L'Heure Bleue, Apres L'Ondee, Nahema, Vol de Nuit, Habit Rouge, and Jardins de Bagatelle. I'm slowly working my way through them but would be happy to share my thoughts with you.

Jenny

Welcome Jenny!

I forgot all about this post ... I need to update it!
    Since posting I've tried Samsara- which I adore and is now a top favorite--
    Mitsouko- which is fun but I can't quite like enough for wearing--
    and I sampled L'Instant which so far has something that bugs me ... I may end up liking it though, I will see. I think I'll sample it again tomorrow.

I am also thinking of trying Terracotta Voile D'Ete, Jardins De Bagatelle, L'Heure Blue, the original Shalimar, and maybe L'Instant Pour Homme. And Vetiver.

PS Please do let me know what you think of the others, Jenny- since we both love Samsara then maybe we're Guerlain twins ... hehe ... I don't find Samsara spicy. I just get a lot of sandalwood and jasmine and .. isn't it so perfect!!?? I don't mind spicy though.
    Last edited by misscasey; 2nd August 2009 at 07:50 AM.
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I really do like Samsara. I'm sure it will become one of my regulars. Spicy probably isn't the right word - I'm still learning the language of perfume There are a few other Guerlains I'd like to try as well, but I think after I make my way through what I've got, I'll probably move on to trying some of the other big houses like Dior, etc. Growing up I never really had my own perfume collection - I just used to use whatever my mom had. And she had whatever my dad bought her that year. Luckily he had fairly good taste and stuck to well known fragrances like First, Ysatis, L'Air du Temps. But he never bought her any Chanel or Dior, so I wasn't exposed to those. Guess I've got a lot of catching up to do, lol.

So dare I ask, but what is a Guerlain twin?

Jenny

So dare I ask, but what is a Guerlain twin?
    Hehe, sorry. An odd thing to say ... scent twins are people who like a lot of the same scents,
    so Guerlain twins might like the same Guerlains. Just me being a goofball

PS Am thinking L'Instant may be too sweet for my taste ... not sure yet ... trying it again today.

Happy sniffing!!
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well I don't know if I
    can give the right advice
    I'm 16 and wear Mitsouko
    and L'Heure Bleue devotedly
    but i might suggest you
    try out the new "travel" collection
    they're

Moscow
    New York
    Tokyo

They combine they signatue Guerlain-eness
    with Wonderful Moderness

HOPE YOU HAVE FUN SAMPLING :brolly:
    [COLOR="Purple"]I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc [/COLOR]

Well....at 22 the only thing that can make you "elderly" is about 50 years gone by. So, be adventurous and try everything, it's amazing where you can find your favorites!

You should definitely try Shalimar if you like Shalimar Light. I'm not familiar with this particular flanker, but if it is somewhat faithfully derived from the original formula (which is, itself, derived from Jicky, another scent you may want to try) it's worth a shot...perhaps they'd be nice mates for different seasons and occasions.

I've recently found a love for Mitsouko, but am still voyaging into the world of Guerlain. I'm actually not a Shalimar fan for a reason I can't pin down, but I'm enjoying exploring lesser-known frags from the house. I think I may order one of those Guerlain variety packs from TPC in my next order.
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Thanks Mo.
    So far it's Mitsouko's not sweet enough, Samsara's just right, and L'Instant's too sweet. IMHHO.
    And ahhhhh-- Guerlain variety packs!-- great idea.

I hope I love Jicky because of its awesome name. Jicky ... just sounds so cool.

I discovered Mitsouko (and discarded both Jardins de Bagatelle and Champs Elysees as too sweet) by buying a "holiday gift set" of miniatures on ebay. You can, of course, get the vintage/rare stuff from TPC (I'm getting all those old historicals that way) but a scan of ebay can find you some deals on 5-6 bottle miniature sets...and those wee bottles are so cute!
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

I've seen those mini sets on ebay ... they are just darling and not too pricey.
    Someday I may snatch one up.
    Last edited by misscasey; 2nd August 2009 at 07:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Champs Elysées !!
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

I recommend trying Apres L'Ondee, which is my favourite Guerlain, and probably my favourite of all perfumes. It is a delicate and exquisite scent. It has some similarities to L'Heure Bleue but is lighter.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Brielle re Shalimar the original - fabulous, ageless, mysterious and wonderful . Samsara too.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by misscasey View Post
    Thanks Mo.
    So far it's Mitsouko's not sweet enough, Samsara's just right, and L'Instant's too sweet. IMHHO.
    And ahhhhh-- Guerlain variety packs!-- great idea.

I hope I love Jicky because of its awesome name. Jicky ... just sounds so cool.
    Jicky is certainly worth trying, and there's nothing "old lady" about it. Ditto the original Shalimar, but it's maybe more of a "special occasion" scent (and best by far in the parfum concentration). Après L'Ondée is something my 11 year-old daughter has worn, so I don't think of it as geriatric, either. Chamade has a green, springtime quality about it that can make it very youthful, too. For really bright, light Guerlain scents, try Eau de Guerlain or Eau de Fleurs de Cedrat. Both are lovely, lively citrus compositions. Finally, I think Vol du Nuit is rather ageless - not to mention underrated. For re
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 3rd August 2009 at 05:32 PM.

Hey Vibert, don't you quote the words "old lady" at me because I never once said them ... I said I didn't want the frag to seem too elderly. Just kidding!! I know that phrase can be used in a rude way and I would never mean it that way. I love old people and most of them smell great!

I would like to try Jicky ASAP- and the Champs Elysees reviews are starting to look good too.

One reviewer- can't remember who- mentions a friend who is head over heels in love with Champs Elysees- a friend who is "bubbly" and "enthusiastic about everything" which reminds me a lot of myself. What a neat review.

Thanks for the (nicely detailed) recs.
    Last edited by misscasey; 3rd August 2009 at 06:54 PM.

I have to recommend L'heure bleue. It is an odd fragrance, in my opinion, and at first I didn't think I liked it. But...it stuck in my mind and I kept thinking about it and going back and sniffing my sample, and now I adore it.

What does L'Heure Blue smell like to you?
    Guess I'll just have to try it-
    All the review reading did not prepare me for Mitsouko.

Edit: Purplebird's review of L'Heure Blue is a riot! I am so trying that, like, right now.
    Last edited by misscasey; 4th August 2009 at 01:16 AM.