Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Default My trip to the Guerlain Boutique in Montreal

So today I finally handed in the research thesis I've been working on for 9 months and even though I was dying of sleep deprivation, I decided to go reward myself by dropping by the Guerlain Boutique in Westmount of Montreal.

All I can say is......... OH MY GOD. I have never felt so much like a kid in a candy store in my whole life. It was raining outside so I had the whole boutique and the SA all to myself for an hour and a half. The first thing I asked to smell was Spiritueuse Double Vanille - which got me off to a great start with the SA. The SA was not only chic, but she had a french accent when she spoke french as opposed to a quebecois accent (the former is much more classy).

I stayed there for a full hour basically asking: "Est-ce que je pourrais sentir celle la aussi?" (translation: Can I smell that one too?). And she would go: "Behn oui! J'adore celle la" (Of course, I love that one). I think the SA and I were both equally intrigued by each other; I was surprised at how she kept offering classics over the newer fragrances to someone of my age (I'm 23 and look very young), while she was shocked by how someone my age actually liked them. I also knew what I was talking about (and quite frankly, I had more fragrance knowledge than her but I played dumb every once in a while).

I must have tried 50% of the whole store, and I liked EVERYTHING. Even the poo-poo Jicky and the animalic Mouchoir de Monsieur. I have fallen head over heels for this house.

Not to mention they had almost every fragrance ever released including Derby and all of the Paris exclusives. I didn't get to smell Derby cuz' she only had one unopened bottle left, but I tried:

Mouchoir de Monsieur
    No. 68
    L'eau Imperiale
    L'eau du coq
    L'instant de Guerlain Homme
    Jicky
    Spiritueuse Double Vanille
    Cuir Beluga
    Half of the Aqua Allegoria line
    Bois D'armenie
    La Petite Robe Noire
    The rest I don't even remember the names of, but I also tried fragrance spray for linen which was exquisite!

The irony of it all was that I left with a bottle of L'instant, a fragrance that I find to be truly amazing, but that doesn't quite capture the classic magic of Guerlain. At least it has some Guerlinade to it.

If you ever drop by Montreal, this is the place to go! . Feel free to PM for details or directions if you're ever coming down.
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 7th May 2009 at 11:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My trip to the Guerlain Boutique in Montreal

I sound like a broken record, but did they have Vetiver Pour Elle? Oh and you are one lucky guy, how I would love to have done that!
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure they had Vetiver pour Elle - but I'll check for you next time I'm there. The SA is supposed to call me and let me know when 3 new Guerlain fragrances come in the next few weeks, I think they are called Moscow, New York and Tokyo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post
    I'm pretty sure they had Vetiver pour Elle - but I'll check for you next time I'm there. The SA is supposed to call me and let me know when 3 new Guerlain fragrances come in the next few weeks, I think they are called Moscow, New York and Tokyo.
    Definitely try out Vetiver Pour Elle next time your there, it truly is unisex and amazing! And this is the first I'm hearing of these three new scents. Anyone else have any info?
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I am curious to know if the 3 new fragrances are boutique exclusive or going on general release as Im keen as mustard to try Paris - New York

Post Thanks / Like

I just did some research and Tokyo sounds wonderful. I'm not too keen on gourmond notes, so the other two (New York and Moscow) don't sound like my bag.

Post Thanks / Like

Some friends, my hubby and I are going to Montreal this summer. You and I should make plans to meet up and have a Guerlain snaffathon, it would be wonderful.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

I stopped into the Montreal Guerlain boutique in Oct of 2007 and picked up several bottles of Heritage EDP (which i sold for on eBay for a small profit). The SA was absolutely delightful and very helpful ( I too think I sniffed everything possible). Montreal is such a wonderful city and well worth a trip. Also, check out the various department stores downtown. Ste Catherine is one of the best shopping districts in the world. In one of the bigger stores (I think it was the Eaton Center) I found a kiosk selling fragrances that had some incredible out-of-production gems (I bought ten boxed bottles of Alain Delon AD for an insanely low price as well as several bottles of Ungaro I and II.)

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that Montreal is a fantastic city. When I was studying in Ottawa, I would make regular trips to Montreal which is only a couple of hours drive. Si tu parlez seulement un peu de francais, pas de problem et tout va bien!
    Thanks for sharing this experience. It replicates one I had at the Guerlain boutique in Toronto. There too I was the only customer for an extended period. I was quite pampered, got a seat and nice fruit juice and a refreshing wipe. The SA was the manager of the store, quite knowledgeable. I came in looking for Sous les Vent, and by great fortune they had a bottle (it is limited edition scent, and this was a bottle that the original customer subsequently declined). It is an excellent unisex chypre. I also bought Mouchoir de Monsieur, it is a charmingly old-school scent. I think Guerlain is an interesting house. There are some real fans out there, I'm still learning about them. Hah -- I mean the house, not the fans.
    Cheers,
    Last edited by odysseusm; 8th May 2009 at 02:29 AM.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brielle87 View Post
    Some friends, my hubby and I are going to Montreal this summer. You and I should make plans to meet up and have a Guerlain snaffathon, it would be wonderful.
    Sounds like fun! Lemme know when you plan to be here, would love to go sniffing with a fellow BN'er

Here is some info on Guerlain's new Voyage Collection: http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.com/20...cow-tokyo.html