Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default SotD Friday 8 May

Good morning!

Un Coeur en Mai
    Patricia de Nicolaï for Parfums MDCI

For Diana and Daniel
    Have a wonderful week and may dreams come true.

Top notes: hyacinths, lily-of-the-valley, Sicilian bergamot,petitgrain, galbanum, blackcurrant, melon
    Heart notes: a crystalline note reminiscent of a slightly rosy lily-of-the-valley, Bulgarian rose, Moroccan mimosa, bourbon geranium.
    Base notes: black pepper, coriander essences, precious woods, musks

That remarkable "a crystalline note reminiscent of a slightly rosy lily-of-the-valley" in the heart notes of this fragrance......I left it in the pyramid because it is a perfect description of what I am smelling.
    This is not just 'another lily-of-the-valley' fragrance but a floral with a bite. Strong and tender at the same time.
    Again, completely wearable for a man.

Have a wonderful Friday
    Last edited by Riannon; 8th May 2009 at 04:36 AM. Reason: Fatal error message aka SotD bug
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Default Re: SotD Friday 8 May

Good morning!

Etro Vetiver for me today.

Have an absolutely fabulous Friday!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Riannon View Post
    For Diana and Daniel

Have a wonderful week and may dreams come true.
    She and I just shared a great big "awwwwwwww" together.

Have a lovely day ladies, I'll be wearing the only one of mine she knows (and loves), Dior Homme.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesoul View Post
    She and I just shared a great big "awwwwwwww" together.

Have a lovely day ladies, I'll be wearing the only one of mine she knows (and loves), Dior Homme.
    Thank you Daniel and a big hug to you both.
    You will smell great but I think she will love you in every scent.

Now, go to bed and stop feeling anxious You have a long week to look forward to.
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

White Jasmine and Mint by Jo Malone

Kiton Men

I'm thinking Chergui again today. The top notes are a teeny bit generic, but the whiffs I kept getting of the dry-down are absolutely hypnotic. I can see why this is such a fave. Ta, all.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Mandragore

Have a nice weekend everyone

Thumbs up Re: SotD Friday 8 May

EMILIO PUCCI

The sensasional VIVARA, Eau de Parfum
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Daim Blond for me today. Off to the hairdressers then meeting
    a woman about hosting some French students.

Off to bed in EL ~ Bali Dream...

Riannon ... what a lovely sentiment (or should that be scentiment)? You're smelling mighty fine, too!

To the lovebirds: wishing you love always

I am back in the saddle today after three days of sickliness, and felt sufficiently bold this morning to apply a spot of my vintage Miss Balmain extrait. I almost swooned from pleasure; this is a just-up-my-street kind of chypre, and so confidently and skilfully complex that it is a real joy trying to pick apart its notes. All hail the great Germaine Cellier!

Couldn't quite recall why I hardly ever wear this scent ... But then, just a half-hour later, I remembered -- IT HAD GONE! Escaped from my skin in moments like an elegant, but blase, woman, who dazzles briefly with her presence, then turns her back, leaving only a mocking, scented trace.

Such scented encounters can often be alluring, but this almost enraged me, and left me feeling slightly disdainful! Miss Balmain is all top, with a bit of middle, but has no bottom!
    Last edited by soirdelune; 8th May 2009 at 08:39 AM.
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Me again .. second time in an hour!

Was so cheesed off by my disappearing Miss Balmain, that I decided to bring in a big gun: FRACAS! And this little baby's going nowhere, fast ...
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Parfum d'Empire EAU de GLOIRE
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Z Zegna Extreme

Good morning everybody Today me and one of my bestfriends are going out to celebrate her 30th birthday ( which really is tomorrow) For the occasion I'm in Musc Ravageur. Enjoy your day all and congratulations to the lovebirds!!

Happy Friday!
    I had a big 'Awwwww!' at the lovebirds, too.
    Ines, have a fabulous time.
    Just generally everyone - hope you're having a fantastic day. And if you're not, come over here and I 'll give you a big huggle and rub your head and call you an 'old rascal'. (Works for Small every time.)

I'm going for Molinard de Molinard today. It's a sunny, warm (over 20C) day and I have to take the car to the garage to have the two sets of damage checked out. Since I know I'll be feeling guilty and crappy later today, I'm going to wear my new linen tunic (LandsEnd sale), my nice jeans and a scent that makes me feel cheerful. (It also reminds me of Quarry, and then I laugh because I remember a joke she told me about a camel. And I just know she's grinning, reading that!)

Have a stonker, ladies and gents.
    x
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Spring has finally "hit me" and I'm feeling in a floral frenzy...so it's Tuberose Gardenia, by Estee Lauder.

The lovebirds have me smiling from ear to ear ~ best to you both for a fab week!

Sur la Plage

My SOTD is Rochas Lui.

Top Notes: Cedarwood, Neroli
    Middle Notes: Sycamore Wood, Bison Grass, Cedarwood
    Base Notes: Patchouli, Vanilla

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Plus

Helmut Lang eau de parfum

Leaving shortly to go out of town for the weekend for my daughter's graduation.

Have a fantastic Friday/weekend, everyone! See you all on Sunday! xoxo
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Good morning all.
    tdem, congrats on your daughter's graduation.
    Sdl I'm gladd you're feeling better.
    Riannon, Un Coeur en Mai sounds amazing.

I went with Perles de Lalique today. I haven't worn this in months. It's really pretty. It's restrained, rather than exuberant, but very nice. Glad I thought of it.

I need to motivate myself to deal with the remaining chaos in the flat - now that we've shelled it out and shipped off most of our possessions, there is a lot of re-organising and cleaning to do. I want to have it all done by the time hubby gets home this evening, but right now all I feel like doing is flolloping around, playing with my perfume samples.

So, to pep myself up, I went for the extremely peppy Un Jour Se Leve (A New Day Dawns) by Yves Rocher. A hidden gem if there ever was one; recommend it for everyone who prefers synthetic rose/blooming live roses to the smell of rose oil, and likes the new pretend-floral-chypres.

My review:

Opens by a clean and sanitised rose-like accord , dips briefly into rose drawer liners, but redeems itself quickly by transforming into a juicy, mossy, bright floral. Smells entirely synthetic, but lovely with it. Longevity is good and the scent remains stable from about an hour onwards. It manages to stay fresh, which is a welcome surprise from this style of scent, which can often degenerate into candy floss or simple musk in the dry-down.

"A New Day Dawns" is described by Yves Rocher as a floral chypre and reminds me a little of NR For Her EDT. Where NR has missed the alarm, has messed up hair, yesterday's underwear (and a happy smile), Un Jour got up at 5 am, brushed, flossed and coiffed - and was out of the door with a fruit in hand before NR even fell out of bed.
    Last edited by Nukapai; 8th May 2009 at 11:51 AM.

Terrylove- you are THE BEST !
    And you smell good, too.
    Congrats to you all...

Kisses to the lovebirds !
    Happiest birthdays, annies...to all our BNers !

Rhiannon mijn- what a glorious pictorial and description.
    Sounds like heaven.

Wordiebirdie- I'm a Molinard girl, too.
    Feel the love, baby.

I wore TF Champaca Absolute to bed,. for 'self-medication',LOL.
    It is divinely, almost obscenely floral, with a booziness that creeps in, and a whisper of underlying wood.

Today is Boudoir-
    Because viburnum are now in bloom-
    SUCH a short-lived pleasure !

Very much crazy out there and in HERE, folks.
    Full moon, Mercury Retrograde....
    Leave yourselves PLENTY of time for EVERYTHING, won't you?

Re: Mother's Day.
    Many of you- men and women both-
    Possesss amazing mothering skills !
    Some have had to mother themselves; others mother all.
    My love and recognition of the Mothering in us all...

This one will be rough for me, I expect.
    First one without my own, poor crazy creature; also, the 12th anniversary of my admitting B's mother to my own unit for terminal care, on Mother's Day....

Spring might have finally hit Ubu, but I have been bitten! No, not like Indie_Guy wearing Rive Gauche -- that's an old Basenotes legend appearing every so often on the Men's side -- I have been bitten by a bug.

By a Chergui bug.

After reading this and that and how it tickles your senses and after wearing it more than four or five times in different weathers, and different times of the month, and different humidity, etc. I finally "got" it and even better now, the night after the application. What do you think I will wear today? Yes, SL Chergui.

Love and patience to D&D. Good vibes to everyone in pain. Hugs to all who would take them.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Habit Rouge EdC this morning. Reaching into the 90s F again today. Summer has skipped right over Spring.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Blog Entries

Red face Re: SotD Friday 8 May

My groggy self just woke up from the way-too-lateness of talking/packing last night with the other lovebird. Departing shortly on a trip to see old friends graduate (congrats on your son tdem1961), the beginning of wonderful new chapters in their lives. Today and tomorrow with them, neatly located almost halfway between Daniel and I, and then Sunday I'll be heading out to meet him...

A moment of your time, you sweet darlings...

Your support is overwhelmingly appreciated. Really can't tell you what it means to us, because I just don't have words for it. There's a lot of negativity out there and its almost too hard to believe in these shining moments of real love... like the kind all of you have shared for us and for each other every day. We're all standing beside one another in good times and bad, and that's been a truly beautiful thing to see in my brief time here. I feel privileged to be among you.

Today I celebrate the beginning of new journeys and the powerful beauty of real love.

Today it will be Flowerbomb again. Riannon, yours sounds so pretty, and so perfect for today! (that post was so darned sweet of you and big hugs for you too, my dear friend) You were right that I'd love him in anything, and I still haven't chosen my own scent for that day...

I wish I could bottle my heart right now and wear that... and there's enough love to decant and send to each of you. With love, Diana. <3
    <3 ... I'm blind crazy in love... <3

Eau Parfumée au Thé Vert Extrême
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

Blog Entries

Nukapai, funny review! Kinda makes me think UJSE and I wouldn't have much in common, however.

I'm joining all of you with the warm fuzzies for D&D. I had to put my sweetie on a plane this morning (just got back from the airport), and I miss him already.

Taking inspiration from Quarry and sampling EL Tuberose Gardenia today. Happy Friday, everyone!
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Love, spring, Friday. It's ALL good!

Just a quick note, as I'm off to work early. Testing Etro SHAAL NUR today. Likin' it!

I'm working from home and couldn't decide today. So it's, No 5 Eau Premiere on my left wrist and Un Jardin apres la Mousson on my right wrist.

I do smell nice!
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

I got a compliment from the bus driver! She asked where she could get it. I never get that. Yay.

I still smell of a rash of scents, sprayed on a shopping trip last night and built upon when I got home. In for a penny, in for a pound.

Cashmere Mist
    Sikkim
    Paris Hilton Fairy Dust
    Vanille Givree des Antilles
    Citronnier
    Lancome Magnifique

This is an unbeatable combination.

What a day!
    Now this is what spring is supposed to be about, new love, new beginnings in graduations and new aprtments/towns to live in, and Mother.
    Even looks like its going to be a beautiful day here in New England.
    I've been musing on something the last few days since I saw the new "Star Trek" movie and have been drawing parallels to my cult-like enjoyment of a particular perfume House. Thought I'd indulge myself in my perfume cult today:

Jean Patou Chaldee

You have to love the internet because without it I don't know if colognoisseurs would be able to try some of the vintage classics. Now that the whole world is one big Estate Sale we can find ways to expereience these classics. Jean Patou is a House of many discontinued gems and it is mainly through the mechanisms described above that I am able to wear these creations. Chaldee was created in 1927 by the in-house nose Henri Almeras. In the mid 20's sun tanning and looking brown had been made chic and Patou wanted to create one of the first sun-tanning oils and did that in Huile de Chaldee. M. Almeras took that beginning and turned it into Chaldee the perfume. With that inspiration you might be thinking Bain de Soleil ( for that go to Bond No. 9 Fire Island) or Coppertone (for that go to CB I Hate Perfume At The Beach 1966) or cocoa butter (for that go to Estee Lauder Bronze Goddess) and you couldn't be further from what Chaldee smells like. The top of Chaldee blows in with a light bouquet of orange blossom to start. Then like a florist adding to his bouquet M. Almeras begins to add lilac followed by jasmine and then finishes with narcissus all deep and thick. At this point Chaldee is a deep floral melange that floats airily above my skin. You would think the combination would be heavy but instead it is light and beautiful.The base of this is perhaps one of my favorite amber accords ever as it is combined with oppopanax to create a warmth that seems only appropriate for a scent which was inspired by the sun. I grew up in South Florida and cherish the smell of the beach, from the surf to the tanning products, but Chaldee definitely doesn't smell like any beach I've ever been on in my lifetime. The one thing I do know is if the beaches of France smelled like this in the 20's I want to find myself a tricked-out DeLorean to take me there.

Have a Ferocious Friday everyone.
    Last edited by Somerville Metro Man; 8th May 2009 at 02:31 PM.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

In honor of all this love in the air, as well as my extended anniversary weekend, I'm in my wedding fragrance today, Pure Poison.

Have a most wonderful day, everyone!

Basenotes Institution

Love is in the air and may you all be well and happy ! I love Basenotes ! You guys are sweet ,articulate and gorgeous !
    Montale Vanille Absolu with a touch of Musk to Musk -great stuff. Have a great Friday !
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 8th May 2009 at 02:42 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Jalaine Citrus Dream for me today.

Love's True Bluish Light

Marilyn Miglin Goddess

Basenotes Institution

Splash Forte by IUNX (from a sample - thanks NEoTY26)

Lovely stuff. Cinnamon done in a medicinal yet refreshing way. Reminds me of the best parts of White by CdG.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

What FANTASTIC love and energy on the board today!!!!

To our local (soon to be VERY local!) lovebirds, Diana and Daniel... ENJOY every moment, both of the anticipation of being together, and then the glorious reality.

Congrats, dear Tdem, on your daughter's graduation! Don't forget to give yourself a pat on the back for your contributions in getting her on her way...

Me, I'm feeling much less cranky and fairly springy, too, in Guerlain Parure. Just adore this stuff, which is unusual in and of itself because fruity fragrances tend not to suit me.

Parure notes: Plum, bergamot, fruits, hesperides, greens, Rose, lilac, jasmine, lily of the valley, jonquil, narcissus, orris, Oakmoss, pathcouli, spices, amber, leather.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Blog Entries

She's putting her bags in her car right now, and I know that's gotta make the reality sink in for her like it is for me. Two days! I work tonight, and then I have tomorrow to clean/freakout and Sunday...well, Sunday is the start of a new chapter for us.

Thank you girls and guys so much for your overwhelming love and support. We love it each and every time we see it, and it means so much for us to have some friends on our side. We'll keep you all posted for every lovely minute of it.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Thanks, Oud Girl (I don't have much in common with it either - though I guess on some days I do have a kind of buzzing enthusiasm about me. But the reason I quite like this is that on the days I really don't, I can hope to fake it with this ).

SMM - I wish you would write an encyclopaedia of perfumes!

31 Rue Cambon. Love to all, this Friday -- have a great day!

L'Artisan Dzing!

Somehow I missed what is happening. Is someone getting married? Even though I don't know what it is about, I wish you lots of happiness.
    I am trying Fragonard's Grain de soleil from Ms. Twolf. thank you and I hope you are doing well.

Love's True Bluish Light

Happy Friday!
    Laissez les bon temps rouler!

Bois de Violette pour moi.

Congrats SunnyFunny!

The commercial's had me reassessing my opinions of Le Monstre lately, so No. 5 Eau Premiere today.

Started this wet day in the lovely and drying Chergui. Not sure what I'll wear to work tonight...possibly my new Cafe by Parfum Cafe: rosemary, spices, lime, patchouli and vetiver
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

L'Artisan Fleur d'Oranger 2007-- finally arrived and I've got it on!

Geoffrey Beene Grey Flannel from a mini is next in the alphabet. (I realize it's a man's scent, I ignore these things. )

Eh.

It starts out sort of, well, cat-pee-ish. Then it settles into something perfectly pleasant but not exciting. It's nice enough that if I made a point of loving it (deliberately wearing it on happy occasions to make positive associations), I could develop a great fondness and craving for it. But without a deliberate effort, it's going to remain "eh".

This was dabbed. I'm probably going to dump the whole mini into a sprayer to see how I like it sprayed, _next_ time I go through the alphabet.

Crayfish

Daniel & Diana - congrats!!!!!! And have a blast!!!!

Divine L'Inspiratrice today.
    Very french
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

Yay! We saw the sun today! I was substitute teaching 4th graders all day. They're a lot of fun, that age group - wearing, but fun!

I'm now home and wearing Pecksniff's Chypre Green. Happy Friday!

Took a break from fragrance for a couple of days...the vog (volcanic smog) has been torture. Or maybe I have a touch of a cold. Or both. Whatever. Better today...gentle breezes are back...and I seem to have shaken the sense that I can't breathe. Whew.

Back into the fragrance game with something very mild (but very pretty)...

SOTD: C&S Neroli

Stephanie de Saint Aignan's Blanc d'Hiver - pity the nice pear note lasts only about 5 minutes on me! A mistake.

The last of my Jo Malone Blue Agava & Cacao. I love this stuff. I've already purchased a second bottle! Simple or not, it's my Jo Malones that have wound up as permanant components of my fragrance collection! The layering possibilities seem endless, but I do love several of the colognes by themselves.

After opening the mail, I am drenched in Nuit de Noel - vintage, by Caron.
    All powdery, spicy, soft - and animalic too!
    What a thrill to finally own a small amount of this GORGEOUS stuff!
    Also, in the mailbox today, samples, samples and more samples from "The Evermold State" ~ thanks Chantillylace, I'm in sniffin' heaven!

Ahhh you guys are all so beautiful.
    Catching up and rereading in detail all your posts,
    now I get what's happening .
    This case of acute bronchitis had me
    out of commission on so many levels!
    I'm getting over it though.

Joy, happiness and love to you all
    my dears

This weekend hubby and I will finally celebrate
    our 3rd anniversary . It was last week but with me
    sick we both agreed we'd make up for it this weekend .

I'm taking him for a dinner and then to Tequila Bookworm Cafe
    tomorrow night for an evening of jazz, poetry and the opening of
    Marrianne Newman's "Mother" Pregnant Portraiture

Spending the evening in Oh! de Moschino
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada