Code of Conduct

Default Battle of the Cheapos! My Recent Acquisitions

I had a serious fall last year that resulted in a head injury with resulting 1) loss of a job, and 2) diminished scents of taste and smell. (Yeah, I can hear it now..."You like these stinkers? No surprise that you can't smell!)"

Despite my lack of funds, of course not cologne collecting isn't even in the picture...hell, I'll declare bankruptcy before that, and probably not even then... but whereas before I thought nothing of dropping big bucks on a bottle...now I've bought a series of cheapos to feed my habit. And the surprising part is that I actually like them!

The Hall of Shame (!) goes to:

1) Tom Ford's Voile de Fleur. I name this one because I bought a new bottle for under $30.00. I'm a little up in the air about this one. While I like the smell itself (and it also has excellent power, particularly for an ETD), I think it may be a TAD too feminine for my tastes. I know a lot of guys here like and wear it (and its kissing cousin Black Orchid) and it's something I happily wear around the house, but am uncertain if I would in public.

2) Halston Z-14. Love it. Very masculine and doesn't smell dated to me at all.

3) Guy Laroche Drakkar Noir. What can be said about this love/hate classic that hasn't already? Oddly enough, I had never smelled this one before buying a bottle a few weeks ago--probably out of pure snobbery--but I'm wearing it as my SOTD and find it quite nice...fortunately I don't remember having the baggage that a lot of reviewers here commented on that it suffocated them (or themselves!) back in the day.

4) Halston Unbound. No review because I ordered it yesterday and have never smelled it, but I bought it based on the many positive reviews here.

5) Giorgio Beverly Hills Red (new). Like this one OK but I was expecting a powerhouse and it tends to evaoprate on my skin.

6) Bijan. Funny, I had this years ago and traded it, so I probably didn't think a lot of it, but now it smells quite good (maybe because I can't fully smell it!)

No doubt these scents get praised and ridiculed here, but for you, are there any that stand out as hits or misses? And any more cheapos/freakos that you would recommend?
    Last edited by Butthead53; 7th May 2009 at 01:06 AM.

Default Re: Battle of the Cheapos! My Recent Acquisitions

What counts as cheap? The best frags I've bought full bottles of for under $20 are: Grey Flannel, Cabochard, and Escada PH. If you raise the price to under $30, I'd add Dunhill for Men and Ténéré to that list.

Who cares about how inexpensive they are? Drakkar and Z-14 are superb fragrances, no matter what price they are! As for Bijan... well... there's a reason it's el cheapo now...

I've bought 125 ml of Rive Gauche for $20... price is subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by Butthead53 View Post
    1) Tom Ford's Voile de Fleur. I name this one because I bought a new bottle for under $30.00. I'm a little up in the air about this one. While I like the smell itself (and it also has excellent power, particularly for an ETD), I think it may be a TAD too feminine for my tastes. I know a lot of guys here like and wear it (and its kissing cousin Black Orchid) and it's something I happily wear around the house, but am uncertain if I would in public.
    I own this and wear it too. You've got to trust me on this : let the topnotes die down a little bit, as that's where it seems slightly more on the feminine side. The mids to base of this little gem is where the magic is.. and makes it hard to pin it down as a feminine frag unless one just wants to nitpick

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

those are some excellent choices you made there BH53 !! you make me go out and buy the Drakkar Noir.

Escada PH is excellent, no doubt. Also, Everlast Original 1910, Adidas Victory League, Jacomo Silver/for men, Jacomo Rouge, Chopard Madness Natural Black (I consider this unisex), FUBU Plush, Francesco Smalto, One Man Show, and Rouge Royal. Derek Jeter's Driven Black may be a bit more. Among the Samba for men frags, I think Nova, Kiss Me, and Heat are the best, though many seem to like Red (and Sexy won a FiFi). I got all of these very inexpensively, but some were testers. Also, check the notes and reviews to see if they are likely for you, of course.

i want some z 14 now

I haven't tried any of those, however I do hope you continue to make a strong and quick recovery in terms of your sense of smell. I lost my sense of smell around Christmas last year due to a sinus infection and it took months to come back to normal. Honestly one of the worst times of my life. I'm sending positive waves in your direction butthead.

I've noticed that many BN'ers have managed to score some Armani Prive's at TJ Maxx, if I'm correct. I think the best one to pick up would be Cuir Amethyste.

Edit: Oh wait, I have tried Drakkar Noir years ago. I used to love in my teenage years although I've never owned it. From I remember it's very 80s/90s smelling but a good one...
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 7th May 2009 at 06:24 AM.
    Sales thread here

Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post
    I haven't tried any of those, however I do hope you continue to make a strong and quick recovery in terms of your sense of smell. I lost my sense of smell around Christmas last year due to a sinus infection and it took months to come back to normal. Honestly one of the worst times of my life. I'm sending positive waves in your direction butthead.

I've noticed that many BN'ers have managed to score some Armani Prive's at TJ Maxx, if I'm correct. I think the best one to pick up would be Cuir Amethyste.

Edit: Oh wait, I have tried Drakkar Noir years ago. I used to love in my teenage years although I've never owned it. From I remember it's very 80s/90s smelling but a good one...
    Thank you my friend. Very kind and encouraging words.

Smile Re: Battle of the Cheapos! My Recent Acquisitions

Cigar

Design - Paul Sebastian

Under 8

Oh yes, forgot Cuba Red. Also, Lomani is a Drakkar Noir type of frag that is quite good, if that's what you are looking for, and Witness is going for a few dollars these days.

What is cheapo? Aweek ago I bought a 3.3 OZ botlle of Tiffany for men for USD 20, a 1.7 OZ bottle of Kouros for USD 25, a 3.3 OZ of Zino and a 1.7 OZ bottle of Shalimar for around the same amount. Are these cheapos? I don't think so, since their usual price is muich higher than the one I paid for.

So, my operational definition of cheapo would be those scents whose pricing policy indicate that they must be sold for less than USD 20 for a bottle of 1.7 OZ. That would exclude designer's labels.

Among these, I bought:

Avon's Wild Country
    Avon's Musk for men

They are old school scents bringing compliments as well as laughs due to the fact most have a strong prejudice against Avon. "You said Avon???" That can NOT be true?". Gosh, I love giving surprises.

I can't help but also recommend to anyone who likes spicy orientals to try Eryo by Yves Rocher. It's outstanding. The regular retail price is $40 for a 2 oz. bottle, but Rocher is constantly putting their fragrances on sale - I bought my bottle for $15. It's a great fragrance.

Of course, the best inexpensive fragrance of all is Old Spice. Can't ever go wrong with it.

Lagerfeld Photo is a good cheapo in my book. Not one my wife will let me wear, but still very good.
    Last edited by danho; 7th May 2009 at 03:19 PM.
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

I had never tried Puig's Quorum, read about it being the "latin Polo", saw a bottle for $8, 30ml, had to get it. I have only worn it once so far, but I have to say I think I like it. I don't remember it from my youth, like I thought I would. It's not as good as Polo, but it's good, and it certainly isn't too subtle. I've seen Quorum Silver for the same price, now that I've read about it here, I think I'll get it the next time I see it. I haven't tried it myself, but I hear a lot of good things about Tsar, it's at Marshall's, $15 for a 1 oz, I think. I see Opium Pour Homme, also, less than $20, again should have enough power to overcome any sense perception difficulties.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Escada PH is excellent, no doubt. Also, Everlast Original 1910, Adidas Victory League, Jacomo Silver/for men, Jacomo Rouge.........
    I wore Jacomo Rouge yesterday for the first time, which I got some time back for A$10.

What a fabulous scent! Much better than what I thought would be the case from my wrist testing.
    Renato

Versace Blue Jeans... Represent!!!

2.5 oz bottle for 10 - 20 bucks

Hall of Famer cheapo is Jovan Musk - I still get compliments when I wear it.
    Peace ~ Markymark

I recently bought a bottle of my old favorite Z-14 and have fallen in love all over again. It is great stuff! The entry in Turin's guide says it all--I don't always agree with him, but in this case it is spot on. No need to spend a lot of money to smell great. I may even revist I-12, although even back in the day it took second place to the excellent Z-14.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Big Punisher View Post
    I've bought 125 ml of Rive Gauche for $20... price is subjective.

speechless.....

So many frags I own are cheapos. I'm wearing the bottle of IZOD for men that I got at Marshalls for 15 dollars, and this is some good juice.

After partner losing job, and having to watch every penny, I discovered Forest Rain from One Planet range at Asda - £2 for 50 ml bottle (currently reduced at a serious money £1.50 !!!) - Rather sadly, I ventured onto the producers website and discovered a 2nd fragrance in the range called LAVA - The company informed me that this is being released on 18th May (again on Asda stores) - I don't know what the new frag is like but can recommend Forest Rain for anyone on a tight budget - i have honestly come across less sophisticated designer scents at 40 times the price !!!!

Pierre Cardin Pour Homme is another great bargain scent, IMO

Blog Entries

I assume you mean cheapos as in the prices that are widely available. If so, then Escada Pour Hommw is a great bargain. For regular MSRP prices, most of Aramis scents are under $50, and that could be a bargain based on current retail prices.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Sur la Plage

I have said it before, and I will say it again - a 100ml bottle of Lanvin Arpege pour Homme at Marshalls/TJ Maxx for $14.99 is one of the best values you will find for a truly wonderful fragrance. And I don't consider it a "cheapo fragrance" at all.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

AromiErotici

Recently picked up Tristano Onofri and I am very pleased with this frag. $20 plus for a 100ml.
    I enjoy it so much it's in my regular rotation now.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I have said it before, and I will say it again - a 100ml bottle of Lanvin Arpege pour Homme at Marshalls/TJ Maxx for $14.99 is one of the best values you will find for a truly wonderful fragrance. And I don't consider it a "cheapo fragrance" at all.
    I have to agree, bought this blind, it's shockingly good for the price, and if you don't like it there are plenty of fans on this forum that will take it off your hands.

Hey Butthead53 - hope you are doing well - keep hangin' in there.

I recently took a liking to Baldessarini - kind of fruity woody - definitely masculine. Just picked up a bottle for around $32 at Beautyencounter.

AromiErotici

I forgot to mention a $5 ( 30ml) bottle of Horizon by Guy LaRoche that is pretty damn weird and pretty damn good.

As well as looking for designer fragrances for cheap, you should check out some of the fragrances that are price inexpensively at retail.

Anthony Logistics has some nice bottles. Courage and Energy are worth a sample. They're $20.

Body Shoppe also has some fragrances that seem to be overachievers. White Musk and Arber in particular. They're $28

C.O. Bigelow is another low priced, high performer. Elixer Red and Elixer Blue are the standouts, but Green and Black are also good. They're $20.

Many of these are as good, if not better than some of the well known designer fragrances.

Give them a try, you may find some more pleasant surprises.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Blog Entries

I actually bought Stetson blind because of the reviews in Perfumes: The Guide. And because it as $18 for 1.5 oz a local drug store. I haven't worn it yet but I sprayed it on a towel in the bathroom. It developed slowly to fill the room, lasted a couple of hours and smelled good. TS says it's a feminine in a macho box but it smells masculine enough for me.

Jivago 24K Men, which can often be found for around $25,- is a very good citrus/coriander frag, IMO.
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

Quote Originally Posted by ECaruthers View Post
    I actually bought Stetson blind because of the reviews in Perfumes: The Guide. And because it as $18 for 1.5 oz a local drug store. I haven't worn it yet but I sprayed it on a towel in the bathroom. It developed slowly to fill the room, lasted a couple of hours and smelled good. TS says it's a feminine in a macho box but it smells masculine enough for me.
    When I want a floriental with a strong ambery base I put Stetson on and I can't help but think of TS's "manly" review each time!

I'm not too sure about the cheapos in your Hall of Shame. This is because there are three classes of cheapos,
    A. Those that were manufactured and sold as cheaper scents, like Pierre Cardin, Everlast, Cuba, Addidas and Ulric de Varens scents, and
    B. Those that were good designer scents of the past, which don't sell well anymore at their designer price, like Z-14 and the old Ralph Lauren Chaps - but which keep hanging around year after year (Joop Homme, Photo and Cool Water seem to be in the process of joining this class), and
    C. Recent designer scent releases which, after not doing well at full price, have been savagely discounted - and when the stocks have gone, they'll be gone forever.

To my mind, true "cheapo" scents are in the A class above. Some scents like Drakkar Noir seem to be in the B class in the USA, but it is still sold down here at fairly full designer price.

I'd say that your scents are cheap, but not cheapos.
    Renato

I envy you guys...getting all those frags for such low prices. Over here the frags are monopolized by a few distributors. My country i think would be the worst place to get frags because of the price.

Blog Entries

There are also single note fragrances by Provençe Santé. 100 ml for $30 US on their web site, only $20 at my supermarket. The Vetiver is a masculine. I think the Verbena could be, depemding on what you like.

Quote Originally Posted by JoNnY 4 View Post
    I envy you guys...getting all those frags for such low prices. Over here the frags are monopolized by a few distributors. My country i think would be the worst place to get frags because of the price.
    Same here, but recently there seems to be a surge of online secondary market. The main problem is the unpredictable stock. Importers obviously tend to bring in only those that appeal to the general market and as we know, for the general market, it's often times not only about the scent, but also the brand.