Code of Conduct

Default l'Heure bleue questions

I know there are many l'Heure bleue lvoers and experts here--this one's for you!

Long ago I tired HB and was convinced it was not for me. I'm not sure which concentration I tried; I know there can be a great difference in Guerlains of various concentrations.

Then I came upon this bottle, which was nearly 1/2 full or empty, depending on your point of view, and decided that at 9.99 I should by it for reference.

Lately I've been wearing it and really liking it.

I am not good a picking out notes , but I feel as if l'heure bleue is friends and family of Bal ā Versailles, which makes it friends and family of l'Air de rien--two favorites. Side by side, Bal āVersailles' civet and general dirtiness become downright gritty (not in a bad way i might add), and l'Air de Rien seems almost sunny. Yet the three seem related ot me. If L'heure bleue is twilight, than BAV is 4:00 a.m. with the start of a hangover, and l'Air de rien is high noon.

Is this a quirk of my perception? Anyone else smell the similarity?

And does anyone know when this bottle was on the market? (or if it still is--I haben't' seen it). It is 30 ml EDT. I'm trying to figure out if it is old enough that the formulation is different now.

Last edited by Nostalgie; 7th May 2009 at 03:44 PM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Default Re: l'Heure bleue questions

I had that same bottlte and I believe it was from the 1960s. I am guessing this from the sticker that was on the box...it was somewhere around eight dollars. Maybe very early 1970s.

Thank you! It certainly looks as if it was designed around that time.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Nostalgie, I wear LHB a lot (mostly pdt), but I'm not familiar with that bottle or really any of the vintage stuff unless it falls in my lap. Sorry.

I can recommend the parfum de toilette, if you ever come across that. It's more sandalwood-y than the current versions of LHB. I have a small vial of vintage LHB parfum from Perfume Court, but I don't know what bottle or year it is.

BDV with 4:00 a.m. hangover and L'Air de Rien at high noon totally make sense. LHB pdt is 5:00 p.m. at the beach after the loud people have gone home.

Hillaire

Firstly, I have many romantic, complex, relationship-of-fragrances associations that no one gets but me!

That said, LB is one of my favorite scents of all time, and I find BaV and LdR impossible to appreciate. But I tried very hard to feel your association; sometimes odd and unexpected things can come together.
    Alas...no. I don't get that.

And LB is a misty dawn for me, someone woeful and contemplative tapping Ravel out on a piano.
    BaV is decolletes and giddiness, everything unsubtle that I can think of. A bodice ripper. Tawdry.
    LdR dosen't even conjure images for me. I am still snagged on its compositional oddness..
    Last edited by Hillaire; 11th May 2009 at 01:53 AM. Reason: poor grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    Firstly, I have many romantic, complex, relationship-of-fragrances associations that no one gets but me!

That said, LB is one of my favorite scents of all time, and I find BaV and LdR impossible to appreciate. But I tried very hard to feel your association; sometimes odd and unexpected things can come together.
    Alas...no. I don't get that.

And LB is a misty dawn for me, someone woeful and contemplative tapping Ravel out on a piano.
    BaV is decolletes and giddiness, everything unsubtle that I can think of. A bodice ripper. Tawdry.
    LdR dosen't even conjure images for me. I am still snagged on its compositional oddness..

Hillaire, this is what everyone always says in general about LHB, but I don't find the LHB pdt as melancholy as other versions. It is earthier/woodier (better sandalwood) with tuberose and ylang more predominant; iris, less so.

That'll work for BaV, though.

What a weird looking bottle - what is it trying to reference?
    It took me a few years to appreciate LHB, but it's become one of my absolute holy grails. I use the parfum extrait. LHB to me is like sitting in the dessert, thirsty and having only an orange rind to suck on.
    Bal is a, sweet + raunchy animal leather and LADR is a musty leather. Love them both, but they don't have much of a connection to LHB in my mind.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 16th May 2009 at 11:15 PM.