View Poll Results: lutens vs. harris

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • lutens

27 81.82%
  • harris

6 18.18%

Default musks kublai khan vs. miller harris l'air de rien

which would you get? i wasn't sent l'air de rien so the mh bottle i bought was feuelles de tabac but i may ask them to send it to see if i like it. mkk is a little hard to obtain since i'm not much of a internet decant buyer or swapper but i could get a bottle of it in the future. if it smells like kiehls though then it would be a little bit of a bummer though i like kiehls. made a poll just in case i still can't make up my mind after hearing your views.
    “The Sandal Tree as if to prove,
    How sweet to conquer hate by love,
    Perfumes the axe that lays it low.” Rabindranath Tagore, Indian poet.

Default Re: musks kublai khan vs. miller harris l'air de rien

It really, really, really, doesn't smell like Kiehl's. I'll leave it up to a fan of the fragrance to describe MKK for you, but Kiehl's is a fairly linear musk. MKK is complex and has oodles more depth, whether you enjoy that particular depth is up to you. It didn't sit well with me.

Quote Originally Posted by derekp View Post
    It really, really, really, doesn't smell like Kiehl's. I'll leave it up to a fan of the fragrance to describe MKK for you, but Kiehl's is a fairly linear musk. MKK is complex and has oodles more depth, whether you enjoy that particular depth is up to you. It didn't sit well with me.
    What he said - nothing like Kiehl's. For me the labdanum / grey amber / patchouli are most dominant.
    Very good scent in my opinion but - in my experience - shouldn't be compared to l'air de rien.
    L'air de rien is different enough & good enough to warrant a place of its own.

As Iris Silver Mist uses almost every iris molecule known to man, MKK uses more animalic material than any fragrance prior.

The basic animalics are listed below, and I'm sure there are more. But it's done with finesse, and it's relatively subtle in its delivery, very feline, and long and slow rather than hard and fast. It's a beautiful fragrance that gets better and better as it goes.

Five kinds of quality musk
    Civet
    Castoreum
    Costus (animalic that smells like wet hair)
    Ambrette (smells similar to animal musk)
    Ambergris

Kiehl's is pretty, flowery, with some decent musk, but it's nothing like MKK.

L'Air de Rien uses a high quality musk (bolstered by a lot of oakmoss) that builds and maintains some relatively exquisite tension, but the animalics level out and the scent just begins to work its way into being a great oriental with solid animalic backgrounds. It's an excellent fragrance with some outrageously good sillage (see-yazh). And as someone wrote, it has the feel of an old flannel shirt well-worn and infused with some good healthy sweat. Sometimes I think of it as a softer, more oriental vintage Narcisse Noir (Caron).

_
    Last edited by pluran; 27th July 2010 at 11:37 AM.

I've become so, so curious about the Miller Harris recently.

I like MKK, but it doesn't stay skanky on me, sadly, fading to a sweaty but less interesting rose/patchouli/powdery musk on my skin.

Why wasn't there an option to vote for both? HA!

Yeah, no comparison here. As described in PTG, MKK is "the soupy, sleepy warmth of two beneath a quilt." Unfortunately, you can't get two people into a flannel shirt - but it sure is fun trying! I love them both, honestly.
    Currently looking for Ava Luxe Midnight Violet

Visit my offsite sales thread for other items for sale - just updated!
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=265#265

As far as MKK and the Miller Harris- it's apples and oranges. Both are worth owning. Rien is the scent I would think of would go well with Clive Barker's "Coldheart Canyon"- there's something slightly twisted to it. MKK is sort of like Kiels (which I love) but it's Kobe beef to Kiehls ground chuck.

MKK is is more animalic on paper (ie notes listing) than skin...I get a biting tingling sensation of castoreum at the beginning but it transforms into a light musky floral smell pretty fast. I find Kouros more animalic.

I am yet to try De rein.
    -

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I have the two, as well as the Kiehl's. Voted for MKK though.

MKK has already been well described above. However, L'AdR is a much louder frag than the relatively demure MKK. Like Suga said, MKK loses most of its skankiness after a while, while L'AdR keeps pumping out beautiful sweaty animalics all its very long duration. L'AdR's longevity is phenomenal.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I have and love both and can't choose between them, so no vote.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

The opening of MKK can be very challenging but the dry down is nice. If you like MKK but can't handle the opening, get the L'air de Rien. The dry down of MKK smells very close to L'air de Rien.

musks kublai khan

thanks for the reviews pluran.

i only have MKK and i cant better plurans review of the same.

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka View Post
    I have and love both and can't choose between them, so no vote.
    +1!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Better get you hands on L'Air de Rein as I believe it has been officially discontinued. I voted for MKK, but I also like L'AdR a lot. I agree that it's an apples to oranges comparison. I don't find much similarities between the Kiehl's and MKK - the Kiehl's reminds me more of vintage Jovan Musk for Men - rather sweet.

Sur la Plage

L'Air de Rien
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I woted MKK. I would never ever wear it (and I can`t imagine enyone else will either), but as a work of art, It`s brilliant! It`s the most artistic fragrance I know about.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    Better get you hands on L'Air de Rein as I believe it has been officially discontinued.
    Is it really going to be discontinued, definitely?
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Is it really going to be discontinued, definitely?
    My bad, it's Cuir d'Oranger that was discontinued. It is still available on Luckyscent.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    My bad, it's Cuir d'Oranger that was discontinued. It is still available on Luckyscent.com
    Ack!!! That's even worse!!

Thanks for the head's up!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

L'air de rien seems very sweet to me, and reminds me of a stinky colleague i used to work with and havent thought about for 10 years. Thats not good. I've just layered it with Keihls and its better. I think i pefer the true animalic skank then. Having tried MKK yesterday I think I like MKK best. I only have a sample though and a full flacon of the others! I feel a SL purchase coming on. If I put all three on at once will I get a Pied Piper effect do you think, but with men? Or horses?

I voted for the Serge.

I liked the Miller Harris fine enough, but in comparison, I'd wear the Mkk more often. L'air de Rien has a certain musty quality of a long-abandoned room which still contains the clothing and personal effects of whoever was occupying it. I like melancholia and dirt in my fragrances, but this missed the mark.

A vote for MKK from me!

Try L'ombre Fauve while you're at it. You might like that more than the others.