Code of Conduct
    Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tampa Bay Basenoters - Tom Ford Private Blend Event

The Tampa Nordstrom hosted a Tom Ford Private Blend special event today. So members of the Tampa Bay Basenoters met up to attend - Jack (silverbullet), Wiley (thaifighter) and me.

The event was hosted by Kimberly DePriest, Account Executive for Tom Ford Beauty. Kimberly talked to us and showed us a presentation about Tom Ford and the Private Blend Collection. She was very knowledgeable and informative. As she talked about each fragrance, we sampled them and discussed them at the same time:

Amber Absolute
    Arabian Wood
    Black Violet
    Bois Rouge
    Champaca Absolute
    Italian Cypress
    Japon Noir
    Moss Breches
    Neroli Portofino
    Noir de Noir
    Oud Wood
    Purple Patchouli
    Tobacco Vanille
    Tuscan Leather
    Velvet Gardenia

I own several (Tobacco Vanille and Tuscan Leather) and had sampled most of the line before, so I already had my opinions on them. But I wanted to retry some of them.

I really am impressed with Amber Absolute - I think it ranks right up there with Serge Lutens Amber Sultan, my holy grail of ambers. However, I have an abundance of amber fragrances already - so I really need to curb my urge to purchase this one. As Ruggles says "How many amber fragrances does one need to own"?

I liked Velvet Gardenia initially. But when it dried down, I got the "blue cheese" factor on my skin. I like blue cheese in my salads or stuffed into my martini olives, but not on my skin.

I got to try Arabian Wood for the first time - It was not what I was expecting it to be. I thought it would be a little more "in your face", but it wasn't - but that is not necessarily a bad thing. I am still not sure what I think about it. I have a sample to test further (they gave us a each a 4ml sample of Arabian Wood as a gift). BTW - It will be available for purchase in June.

The two that really stood out to me today were Moss Breches (spicy and herbal) and Italian Cypress (a definite throwback 70's masculine fragrance vibe). I can definitely see one or both in my future collection.

The other fragrances in the line I think are nice and well done, but nothing special - they do not really stand out to me.

I also chatted with Kimberly about a couple of other Tom Ford related topics:

- The 4 new Private Blend musk scents should be available in September. They are called Musk Pure, Urban Musk, Jasmine Musk and White Suede (that one definitely interests me).

- Bois Marocain may be available for the Christmas holiday in the US - but there is a chance it may not be until sometime in 2010.

- Grey Vetyver should be available in September.

There apparently was another mystery Basenotes member who attended the viewing after us - who we saw, but did not know he was "one of us". Sam - we would love you to join our group. Also, I really liked your shoes - would love to know where you got them.

It was another successful outing for the Tampa Bay Basenoters. Hopefully we will get together again soon.

From left to right - Wiley, Kimberly DePriest, Jack, Raquel (a lovely and knowledgeable woman in our sampling group who we hopefully recruited to join Basenotes!) and Joe.

Last edited by petruccijc; 10th May 2009 at 10:48 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tampa Bay Basenoters - Tom Ford Private Blend Event

Wiley : Thai"fighter" ... damn, I should now remember to never mess with you

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

How photogenic you all look!

Why the hell didn't they do a TF special event down here in S. Florida!? ((jealous))

Sounds like fun - thanks for getting the full scoop on the future plans for the TF line. I'm not really gonna get excited about the musks (many of you know I'm mostly anosmic to musk scents), but I will try them anyway, just to be sure.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

One more thing: Did Kimberly happen to tell you who the perfumers were for the last 4 new scents (Italian Cypress, Champaca Absolute, Bois Marocain and Arabian Wood)?

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

I had a great time, thanks for organizing Joe.

For all of our troubles, Kimberly twisted our arms and forced us to take away 4ml factory samples of the Arabian Wood. She was just too charming to resist, so we politely obliged.

AW totally surprised me. It's opening as a soft floral/herbal scent was a complete 180 from the Aouds and Musks I've come to associate with scents oriented to that part of our world. (A shout out to Abubakr Al-Misky and Taz for expanding my worldviews in that regard, thanks guys!) The initial opening has only a hint of that brashness I get from Montale's Aouds that I have sampled.

I sampled my test strip 3 hours later and found a creamy woody scent that carried through some of the flowers/herbs from the opening. They are there, just not as prominent. I can pick up notes that are prominently featured in Velvet Gardenias. The brashness is totally gone. I am sniffing the strip now (next day) and I can barely detect anything. I am going to give it a full skin wearing today and see how it works on me.

I thought I'd found a new love in Noir de Noir. The opening just floored me and for five minutes that the opening lasted, I was going to buy it.

Then...

Paaaaattchhhhhhhoooooouuuuuullllliiiiii........

Boooorrrrrrriiiiiinnnnnnggggg......

Where the (#^&*$( did that come from?!?!?! Gimme back those roses dammit!!! If the opening had carried through, I would have been all over it. As it finished it was not only heavy patchouli, but not my favorite patchouli at all. I much prefer the patchoulis I have in my fresh cannabis rose and cannabis santal. heartbreaking.

I am fully with Joe on Ambre Absolute. I think all my ambre frags (including sultan) are going up for sale so I can have this. It has everything I love in Ambre Sultan and none of the things I don't. It has great sillage without being overpowering. After about 15 min, it does not have the thick, syrupy quality so often found in my ambre scents. It's very dry and warm and reminds me of LDDM in that regard, but not it's not similar enough that I'd have to choose between the two.

The Japon Noir is interesting, but doesn't resonate with me at all. I spent part of my early 20's trimming staircases for a living and the scents of lacquers, shellacs and varnishes are anathematic to me. I much prefer linseed oil to finish my woods.

Moss Breches, Tobacco Vanille and Tuscan Leather were all excellent and stood up to the acclaim they have received here.

The AA was the standout for me.

Want!

That's all the cyberink I've got time to spill atm. I am already looking forward to our next outing!
    top ten: L'Air du Desert Marocain, Black Aoud, Le Labo Rose 31, Bois du Portugal, Incense Rose, Millesime Imperial, Czech & Speake no.88, Terre de Hermes, Musc Ravageur, Nasomatto Duro

Best layers: GIT and TdH, GIT and BA

sample wishlist: Roses Musk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Man, I am so jealous! What an awesome event. I'm becoming a TF fanboy, although I've only sniffed a fraction of the line. For that reason, I was gobbling up every word. Thanks so much, guys.

C'mon, Jack - I need your thoughts, too!

Great picture, by the way. Oh, you guys must have had a blast! I have got to get in the loop at the closest Nordstrom...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I had a smashing good time as usual I'm with Joe on the Moss Breches and the Italian Cypress, FB for me. I also fancied Kimberly DePriest as third runner up

I too hope that Raquel joins our BN community.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet View Post
    I had a smashing good time as usual I'm with Joe on the Moss Breches and the Italian Cypress, FB for me. I also fancied Kimberly DePriest as third runner up

I too hope that Raquel joins our BN community.
    Cool! Mike P. gave me a sample of Moss Breches () and I do love it (so do my friends who have taken a spritz from it). The Italian Cypress sounds like a winner, too. And Kimberly? I'm pleading the 5th on that call!

I will have to keep Wiley's thoughts on AA in mind when I sniff that one. I haven't bottled on an amber scent yet, having loved both Ambre Précieux and Ambre Sultan quite a bit and being unable to decide. Ruggles is right - I only need one. I found the Hermès amber scent (Ambre Narguilé) too strong, so it's not a FB contender. But maybe this one is.

Some wonderful fragrance research, guys!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Kimberly is hot. What fragrance was she wearing?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 10th May 2009 at 03:32 PM.

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Kimberly is hot. What fragrance was she wearing?

Part Wiley, part Jack Maybe Joe knows because he can be objective
    Last edited by silverbullet; 10th May 2009 at 03:40 PM.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh my.

-- Jack Kerouac

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Steady now Jackie.............
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

One more thing: Did Kimberly happen to tell you who the perfumers were for the last 4 new scents (Italian Cypress, Champaca Absolute, Bois Marocain and Arabian Wood)?
    Mike - I sent Kimberly an e-mail with that question and a few others I did not get a chance to ask her. Hopefully she will respond, and I will post her answers.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you guys had a good time! I had no clue that Nordstrom was carrying Tom Ford Private Blend stuff. Perhaps the Nordstrom stores I've visited just don't have the clientele to offer it.

I must say - I'm looking forward to all the new releases, and I've now made up my mind that I have to get some Amber Absolute, especially if thaifighter can say that it has everything "Ambre Sultan" has and perhaps then some.

Any of you folks fans of Bois Rouge? I found this, and AA to be the ones I'm going to add to my wardrobe soon enough. It doesn't seem to get much love?

Thanks for the enjoyable read, and the laughs as well!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Mike - I sent Kimberly an e-mail with that question and a few others I did not get a chance to ask her. Hopefully she will respond, and I will post her answers.
    Thanks J.

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyDG View Post
    Sounds like you guys had a good time! I had no clue that Nordstrom was carrying Tom Ford Private Blend stuff. Perhaps the Nordstrom stores I've visited just don't have the clientele to offer it.

I must say - I'm looking forward to all the new releases, and I've now made up my mind that I have to get some Amber Absolute, especially if thaifighter can say that it has everything "Ambre Sultan" has and perhaps then some.

Any of you folks fans of Bois Rouge? I found this, and AA to be the ones I'm going to add to my wardrobe soon enough. It doesn't seem to get much love?

Thanks for the enjoyable read, and the laughs as well!
    I really liked the Bois Rouge. I recall thinking I'd like to sniff the opening on it. (the test strip had dried down awhile). THen I got hit with the Italian Cypress and it speaks to me a lot more in that it's a sharper woody aroma and I grew up fishing for bass hiding in and around cypress knees and roots in the shallows. That aroma is as good as hearth and home with me. If you pick up the BR and I've got anything you'd like to sample, I'd love to swap so I can wear it a few times and see how it works for me.

I had Noir de Noir on one arm and AA on the other so I had no room for anything else.
    top ten: L'Air du Desert Marocain, Black Aoud, Le Labo Rose 31, Bois du Portugal, Incense Rose, Millesime Imperial, Czech & Speake no.88, Terre de Hermes, Musc Ravageur, Nasomatto Duro

Best layers: GIT and TdH, GIT and BA

sample wishlist: Roses Musk

Post Thanks / Like

i'm so darn jealous! it's my dream to meet Bners at such events..

thnx for the lovely reviews Petrucci and Thaifighter!!

I wish I could have been there! Perhaps if enough interest is stirred they will carry the line full time (crossing fingers).

Post Thanks / Like

It's a deal! I have BR on my list - but just ordered Tobacco Vanille, as I was a bit swayed by some of the negative reviews of BR out there.

But at some point I hope to have decent sized samples of all of these. You guys are lucky to have received the 4ml for free!

Quote Originally Posted by thaifighter View Post
    I really liked the Bois Rouge. I recall thinking I'd like to sniff the opening on it. (the test strip had dried down awhile). THen I got hit with the Italian Cypress and it speaks to me a lot more in that it's a sharper woody aroma and I grew up fishing for bass hiding in and around cypress knees and roots in the shallows. That aroma is as good as hearth and home with me. If you pick up the BR and I've got anything you'd like to sample, I'd love to swap so I can wear it a few times and see how it works for me.

I had Noir de Noir on one arm and AA on the other so I had no room for anything else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Did you ask for her phone number too

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Did you ask for her phone number too
    I already have that information.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have ways of making you talk

Post Thanks / Like

Dammm
    Perfume noob

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

FYI - The perfumer for Champaca Absolute and Arabian Wood is Rodrigo Flores-Roux. The perfumer for Italian Cypress is Carlos Benaim.

I also asked if there were any new fragrances coming out soon in the Tom Ford women's line. The answer was "No - Just the 4 new Private Blend musks, which are unisex".

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

FYI - The perfumer for Champaca Absolute and Arabian Wood is Rodrigo Flores-Roux. The perfumer for Italian Cypress is Carlos Benaim.

I also asked if there were any new fragrances coming out soon in the Tom Ford women's line. The answer was "No - Just the 4 new Private Blend musks, which are unisex".
    Wonderful - thank you J.

Interesting, for several reasons...

Flores-Roux was also the perfumer for Neroli Portofino (which I loved) and the new Artisan by John Varvatos (that everyone seems to hate)

Benaim has done a ton of scents, including Polo and Polo Modern Reserve, which I mentioned IC smelled very similar to, in my review.

No word from Kimberly on the perfumer for Bois Marocain?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 13th May 2009 at 07:48 PM.

-- Jack Kerouac