Code of Conduct

Default friend is going to India

Suppose you have a friend traveling to India- what would you ask him to bring back? I don't want anything particularly expensive (more than $100), and I'm not a huge fan of oud. What's good to get in terms of sandalwood, or something at least that wouldn't be easy to obtain in the States?

Default Re: friend is going to India

You have a unique opportunity. When I was in high school (late 1980s) my mother worked for an international company. A visitor from India gave her two ballpoint pens made of pure sandalwood, which she passed along to me. For the Indian visitors, they were some cheap corporate gifts, but I have never seen anything like them before or since. Unfortunately, in the ensuing years, I lost both of them.

I would ask your friend to keep his eyes, ears and (especially) nose open. He will have opportunities to find fragrances that no one else in the western world will ever have access to.

My .02.

What part of India is your friend going to?

Where I live (Mumbai) it's a mixed bag of what you can get. You can get your hands on some great Ouds/Attars [but like you said, you aren't into Ouds]. Pure Sandalwood/Sandalwood Oil is terribly hard to come by nowadays, but you can get some provided you have the right kind of contacts or relatives in areas where pure sandalwood can be found in abundance.

The massive piracy of sandalwood in the 80's and 90's has led to the Govt. taking a number of steps in protecting Sandalwood, which is just one of our national treasures.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

He isn't much of a fragrance buff. I was looking for suggestions along the lines of "this is sold here" and to give him enough $$ for it. I'll find out where exactly he's going- that will probably help.

Tell your friend not to be shy or afraid of bargaining, at least one tenth of the price. It is a must.

Quote Originally Posted by the_tourist View Post
    Suppose you have a friend traveling to India- what would you ask him to bring back?
    Enlightenment?

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Enlightenment?
    enlightenment and $1.50 will get you across town on the bus...

I may be in Mumbai early next year and hope to do some first hand exploring - there is a passage in 'Emperor of Scent' where Luca Turin goes Oud hunting in a particular neighbourhood that makes interesting reading - but as you are not after Oud and it's a friend going obviously this isn't helpful I I was in Calcutta in 92 and my host took me to the big covered market - I like Sandalwood so picked up some oil and powder, but that's probably also off the cards now . . . sounds a bit grim. Perhaps Amit or other members in India could make suggestions once you have his itinerary? There may be easy to pick up collections of essential oils or similar. I usually try to at least grab a few souvenir packs of local temple incense when I get to interesting locales in the region. Good luck.