Code of Conduct

Default White Citrus by Bath & Body Works

Since I first heard of White Citrus, I have been waiting impatiently for it to arrive. The name sounded as if it would be the perfect scent for me this Summer. This week, my Bath & Body Works store (I'm a part-time associate) got it in, and I picked up the eau de toilette, shower gel, and body lotion.

White Citrus starts out with an icy blast of lemon. I can smell just a touch of grapefruit with it as well. It's not a sweet scent at all, thank God; it's tart and cold.

The middle notes are more of a mixed blessing. Ginger is predominant, which has its own astringency to complement the citrus. However, there is also quite a bit of waterlily; it hovers on the edge of too-floral for my taste. To my nose, the fragrance mist and the shower gel are less floral than the eau de toilette.

That's pretty much it. I can't detect any base notes after the waterlily fades away. The fragrance has good progression, but some people will probably find it short-lived. Also, after the initial citrus top notes dry down, it wears close to the skin.

I smell some family resemblence to White Tea & Ginger and Cool Citrus Basil, both discontinued fragrances.

White Citrus is not a masterpiece. Two hundred years from now, people will not be speaking of it the way we speak of Guerlain's awesome Eau de Cologne Imperiale. It is cool and fun, the way a Summer fling should be.

Default Re: White Citrus by Bath & Body Works

Have you tried Bigelow's Lemon edp? It's very one-note dominant, but it's a very real, sour lemon. Just not sure when or why I'd wear it. I liked White Citrus but the wife doesn't care for it. She really liked the discontinued Grapefruit however. Now she just goes for the blue glass bottles of Ile de Tahiti body lotions. It's designed so you can't get the last 1/4th or 1/5th of the product out... Which makes her buy more sooner.

Since you work there, maybe you can tell me: Is it supposed to be damn near impossible to pull the cap off the Bigelow Barber edts? I had to pry it off with a butter knife when I got it home.
    Last edited by PorkFat; 10th May 2009 at 03:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PorkFat View Post
    Have you tried Bigelow's Lemon edp? It's very one-note dominant, but it's a very real, sour lemon. Just not sure when or why I'd wear it. I liked White Citrus but the wife doesn't care for it.

Since you work there, maybe you can tell me: Is it supposed to be damn near impossible to pull the cap off the Bigelow Barber edts? I had to pry it off with a butter knife when I got it home.
    I liked the Bigelow Lemon, but not enough to buy it. What a gorgeous bottle. I think it was intended to capture the scent of the Lemon Body Cream, which it does. However, I find it too candy-sweet. And, it's a little on the expensive side.

Hmm, I haven't had any problems with the Bigelow Barber caps. They should be snug. I am more irritated when the caps are so loose they don't stay on, which happens sometimes with the room sprays.

I adore the new White Citrus shower gel. I am a super bbw shopper and spend lots of money annually especially during the semi annual sales and the new white citrus is perfect for summer. I like that is a smooth citrus and doesn't smell like a cleaning agent. Of coursethough nothis is as amazing as my beloved cotton blossom!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by PorkFat View Post
    Have you tried Bigelow's Lemon edp? It's very one-note dominant, but it's a very real, sour lemon. Just not sure when or why I'd wear it.
    I smelled Lemon yesterday. I'm a sucker for a good lemon scent.

It's nice. But the drydown, after that wonderful lemon-sorbet-on-steroids top notes is all sugar sweet. Reminded me of Lemon Sugar by Fresh. Been there, done that. I'll pass - I wanted something a little different.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    But the drydown, after that wonderful lemon-sorbet-on-steroids top notes is all sugar sweet.
    I agree with you. Lemon is just too sweet for me.

I'm still liking White Citrus -- it's not sweet -- but people who are concerned with longevity will probably hate it. It's not a long-lasting scent. That's fine with me because I was looking for something for the high heat and humidity that we're starting to get.

I have been hit with buyer's remorse a few times since getting White Citrus. I could have got Eau de Lalique for much cheaper, or I could have spent a few more dollars and got Eau de Guerlain Imperiale instead, or I could have just got some more 4711 . . . . I find it hard to make a commitment.

Is this a unisex scent?

Quote Originally Posted by Delphium View Post
    Is this a unisex scent?
    Simple question; you'd think there would be a simple answer, wouldn't you?

I consider it to be unisex. Really all you smell up top is lemon and a little grapefruit -- nothing gender-specific about those. The middle notes are ginger and waterlily. Ginger is in lots of men's colognes (94 according to the Basenotes Directory). I was suspicious of the waterlily, but it is not very prominent. Waterlily is in lots of soap products -- think Dove body wash -- so I'm not sure it would be considered too feminine. Anyway, there is precedent for adding a floral note to a men's citrus cologne: Eau Sauvage.

Bath & Body Works does not explicitly assign a gender to the "Signature Collection" (Warm Vanilla Sugar, Japanese Cherry Blossom, et cetera), but the marketing is almost exclusively to women (and to men shopping for gifts for women). I think some fragrances, including White Citrus, lend themselves especially well for unisex wear. But I think if you like it, you should wear anything.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I tried the White Citrus and the Lemon...Lemon turned too sweet on me, and White Citrus turned fruity on my skin. Somehow both smelled too feminine to be unisex, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    I tried the White Citrus and the Lemon...Lemon turned too sweet on me, and White Citrus turned fruity on my skin. Somehow both smelled too feminine to be unisex, IMO.
    Masculine and feminine are very personal reactions, I think. Many women have commented to me that they thought Black Amethyst smelled "like a man," while I think it's a simplified version of Coco Mademoiselle.

Do you mean that White Citrus turned "fruity" in some way other than citrus, which is of course a fruit?

I Love Bigelow's Lemon.....I will have to check this out.....Thanks for the info.
    Gary

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    Masculine and feminine are very personal reactions, I think. Many women have commented to me that they thought Black Amethyst smelled "like a man," while I think it's a simplified version of Coco Mademoiselle.

Do you mean that White Citrus turned "fruity" in some way other than citrus, which is of course a fruit?
    Agreed but I wouldn't care to smell either of these on my guy. And yes, fruity other than citrusy.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    And yes, fruity other than citrusy.
    Which fruit?