Code of Conduct

Default Is Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin a safe blind buy?

I've been to almost all the fragrance shops near me and none of them carry this one. I really like A*men and I want a gourmand in my collection, but it's a tad bit too expensive imo (though I'll probably still be getting it one day). I've read the reviews and some of the threads on here and the majority of you guys seem to like Lolita.

Right now, cheapsmells.com is selling a 50ml Lolita for 14 pounds and that's a pretty good price I think.

I've also thought about others, so please suggest/recommend/comment:

A*men (50ml) for 22.50 pounds
    B*men (50ml) for 11 pounds
    Rochas Man (50ml) for 21 pounds
    Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin (50ml) for 14 pounds

Thank you!

Default Re: Is Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin a safe blind buy?

Is B* Men a gourmand? I thought i'd read that it was a citrussy frag. Be sure to double check if that's what you decide.

My favorite from your list is easily Lempicka. I blind bought it last month and love it. Rochas was nothing special to me though my female companion at the store was losing her mind over it. It's very linear on my skin, but straight vanilla and lavendar.

A*men is an interesting frag and multi-faceted, but it just doens't do much for me. Plus, everyone has it and you won't stand out if that's important to you.

I'd strongly recommend Lolita for you. The aniseed/licorice note is fantastic without being cloying. It's complex and very unique, withour assaulting the senses. I got several enthusiastic compliments by female coworkers on it and i love tracking the drydown.

The only drawback possibly is that I wouldn't wear it everyday. Not in hot weather (fine in cool or moderate weather). and despite not being tooooo cloying, its an intense experience and might beat you over the head to wear it every day. (they do make a lighter "au fresh" version.

Given the list, Lolita is the temptress you desire.

As much as I hate to discourage a fellow B'noter from making a fragrance purchase (!), I'd have to say no.

I haven't read the reviews here, and while I'm sure they're mostly positive, this can be a fairly polarizing scent. I have it and love it but it's definitely not one I would think of when suggesting a blind buy. It's also quite powerful, so if you end up not liking it, you'll be smelling it for a LONG time. I'm also not certain that Lolita would be considered a true gormand, though I may be wrong. If you've done the research, though, you probably know better than me, but again, it's not what I would think of when naming gormands.

Now Rochas Man is another story...
    Last edited by Butthead53; 11th May 2009 at 02:51 AM.

A double NO, i own it and like it but it's a dangerous scent for a blind buy.

Although i did purchase it blind :@ )

Quote Originally Posted by cmax View Post
    A double NO, i own it and like it but it's a dangerous scent for a blind buy.
    On further consideration, depsite telling you its great, it IS a risky blind buy, even for a gourmand lover. Rochas is the safe bet. . . but then again, the greater the risk, the greater the reward.

I love it, I think it's great, it's unique, but I'm not sure it's a good blind buy. It is strongly liquorice and you would have to love liquorice.

My experience is something is not a good deal if it's not what you really want. If your heart is set on A*Men, you could just go ahead and get that. You'll enjoy wearing it, and buying the one thing you like is cheaper in the end than getting two or three less expensive things that end up not doing it for you.

If I were buying for myself, on the other hand, I'd get the Lolita. I bet it would be great for clubbing.
    Last edited by Advocate; 11th May 2009 at 03:20 AM. Reason: Sorry -- I was thinking of LeMale, not A*Men

Quote Originally Posted by uppercut View Post
    rochas is the safe bet. . . But then again, the greater the risk, the greater the reward.
    100% agree !

IF you like most sweet scents, then I'd say yes it should be a safe blind buy.

Quote Originally Posted by bk33 View Post
    IF you like most sweet scents, then I'd say yes it should be a safe blind buy.
    I think it's more bitter than sweet... but that's just me.

Hahaha thanks for all your comments! It was really informative, especially all the "I love it, but dont blind buy it" suggestions

I'll give it more thought, but I can really see myself just blind buying it in a weeks time. (Well, unless I find a cheap A*men deal)

Avon's Tomorrow for Men is nice and chocolate, if that is what you like about A*Men. If you know someone who sells Avon, you can probably smell it before you buy it, and it should be fairly inexpensive.

I've tried all 4 fragrances on your list, and I suggest Rochas above them all... I actually don't like any of the other ones.

As for a blind buy, I wouldn't do it. Lolita Lempicka has a very strong anise/black licorice note which some people detest, and IMO Lolita Lempicka is cloying, synthetic and uncomfortable after an hour or two. Of course, you may love it, but as you've seen in the reviews, there's about a 50% chance of loving and a 50% chance of hating it.

Rochas on the other hand is loved by almost everyone.
    Sales thread here

Basenotes Institution

No it is not a safe blind buy. Test first.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Lolita is one of the most dangerous fragrance to buy blind. It's really hot, really like a hot mint hard candy, you need time to understand and love it. There's no love at first sigh for LL so I think you better play it safe and test first.
    For me, I'm starting to go for more gourmand scents lately, I can stand A*men, like Le male but LL is still on the not sure list for me.
    Last edited by jasonx; 11th May 2009 at 04:09 AM.

These frags can be really nauseating, even if you like them the first few times you wear them. I suggest getting samples and trying them out over the course of a couple of months.

like someone mentioned above...it's a very polarizing scent. you would either love it or hate it...very hard to be on fence about it...as everyone here already recommended.. sample first...the reason being.. all of here have learned it the hard way..most of us kept on piling scents which were mostly blind buys..only to discover later that we dont really need a 50 ml of it..and tht we have 10-15 bottles that we dont really like... so, why take a chance

you could sample it here (vial) - they ship for free anywhere in the world..
    http://www.fragrancex.com/products/_..._products.html

I love it and I think it's 100% worth a blind buy...unless you don't like black licorice...then I would say stay away!
    ~Alan
    stores.ebay.com/ePerfumery
    Beverly Hills Perfumery

If you buy anything from my eBay store, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU TELL ME YOU ARE A BASENOTES MEMBER!!! I will throw in a bonus sample or mini!

WANTED FOR SWAP: B*Men, Pure Coffee, Angel Ice Man

I'm a fan too. IMHO if you like A*Men, you'll like LLaM.
    It has an interesting mix of bitter and green along with gourmand candy sweet (praline) and vanilla. IT'S ADDICTIVE to me. I smelled it on a test strip a couple of times, tried it on my skin once...and the rest is history. It is a scent that leaves a very strong impression on one's memory. You can get by with wearing just a little bit. I like generous doses with all my frags : )
    Rochas is good too. Yes, a "safer" blind buy but that's exactly what makes it more ordinary. To me LLaM is more wearable than A*Men (I can't wear this one). I have B*Men too but still like LL better.
    Of the ones you listed, I would say B*Men is the least safe blind buy.

Much as I love Au Masculin, I have to concur it's an usafe blind buy. Sometimes, basenoters' opinion can be so, so wrong. Do proceed with caution.

I'd probably skip it and spend the extra 8 quid for the A*Men, I think you'll like it more/enjoy it more, just don't overspray.
    If you see this, please be warned that my wardrobe is woefully out of date. It may never be updated. Feel free to ask any questions you may have, but be warned!

Lolita Lempicka - Au Masculin

Safe blind buy? no. No blind buy could be safe without liking it. Though, as for the blind buy likers, it's a no aswell. This one is to strange, to odd, to unique to buy safely.. It has such a strong liquorice smell.. you really have to like it.
    unico grande amore.

lolita is awesome....

It's a safe blind buy at 14 pounds. If it were full price, then no.

Then again, in my mind, ANYTHING is a safe blind buy at that price!

Quote Originally Posted by andylama View Post
    It's a safe blind buy at 14 pounds. If it were full price, then no.

Then again, in my mind, ANYTHING is a safe blind buy at that price!
    Exactly!!! I'm swayed by the price as well