Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you have a fragrance that you only wear at a certain day/time?

I'm not sure how this happened, but very slowly I started wearing Serge Noire by Serge Lutens only on Sunday nights.

Once in a while, I'll wear another incense scent ever-so-often on a Sunday night (Jubilation XXV, Avignon...) but on other days when I go to reach for Serge Noire I stop myself and force myself to wait for Sunday nights to wear it.

It's become a little tradition I have. The more I have done it, the more the scent is mentally tied into the whole olfactory and emotional experience of Sunday evenings: reflective, meditative, bittersweet..and comforting too. I can't imagine smelling (or wearing) it at any other day or time. It's almost become part of my Sunday evening, like a pair of well worn in jeans, or a favorite chair I like to sit in.

Any of you guys/gals do the same with one (or more) of your fragrances?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Default Re: Do you have a fragrance that you only wear at a certain day/time?

No, but for good luck I touch my bottle of Sous le Vent 6 times before walking out in the morning.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 11th May 2009 at 04:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I usually end up wearing M7 on saturday nights..ironically it was bought on a saturday night too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    No, but for good luck I touch my bottle of Sous le Vent 6 times before walking out in the morning.
    Really???

I don't have any such pattern, but my husband religiously wears his "good luck" St. John's West Indian Lime After Shave every Friday. It's just a tradition for him - he's kind of a traditional guy.

Post Thanks / Like

I always shave before I shower, eliminating the need for an aftershave. However, in the rare instance that I shave without showering, it's always late at night (later than I should be up ), so now I'm used to the smell of my only aftershave (Aqua Velva Ice Blue, if no-one is going to smell it, why bother with anything more expensive?) at night.

I associate the smell of Unforgivable with... "getting lucky," but that isn't a particular time of day. It's just that I know that my girl finds it sexy, and that's the only time I wear it now, when I know she'll have the opportunity to react to that. But I understand what you mean now that you mention it, the smell does seem to become a part of the experience... How strange.

EDIT: About patterns. For a while, I always spritzed twice, first right before my shirt went on, and once more exactly 5 minutes later. Since I backed myself down to 1 spritz, I no longer do this, but there ya go. It had to be a conscious decision to break the (OCD?) pattern...
    Last edited by Luke A; 11th May 2009 at 08:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Surprisingly, I don't have anything like this - EXCEPT for nighttime scents. I tend to wear a lot of Bois de Cedrat, Santal Imperial, Kenzo Power, D&G the one For Men, and Guerlain Homme at night.

Post Thanks / Like

I have always worn PG Brulure de Rose on recent visits to the crematorium - it is an appropriate scent for such occasions on a variety of levels....

: - )
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 11th May 2009 at 10:14 AM.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like

like the name says: La Nuit de L'Homme
    unico grande amore.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Great. Now I feel like I'm not crazy. I love Basenotes.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting topic - I have "Weekday" scents, "Saturday" and even "Sunday" scents.

Nope. I wear whatever I grab first - anytime of the day

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to reserve wearing Musc Ravageur to when go to night clubs.

On special occaisions, such as special holidays and weddings, I like to wear fragrances that compliment oud. When I say oud, I mean the actual oud that we, here in the Arab Gulf, place on a piece of charcoal and burn, which gives a strong smoky smell.

An example of such fragrances would be Amouage Gold, Rose 31, Annick Goutal's Myrrhe, and SL Bois Oreintal.

The rich, deep scent of the perfume along with the smokiness of the burnt ooud compliment each other beautifully.

In addition, I like to wear niche frags at night time and I keep the common ones for work or day-time.
    Last edited by zooza; 11th May 2009 at 02:58 PM.

SmellChaser
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Some of my scents are mirgrating to "Night only", but not day of week dependent (e.g., Tea for Two).

Terre d Hermes always seem to come out on Saturdays....only by coincidence.

Thumbs up Re: Do you have a fragrance that you only wear at a certain day/time?

On Friday it's Aramis 900. Wednesday & Thursday's it Grey Flannel or Azzaro pour Homme or Burberry London. I switch on different days eccept Friday.

I tend to wear Avignon to wakes dont know why I just do.

Tuscan Leather for a nightclub scent. It's smokey, so it blends in well with the atmosphere and its mega sillage helps cut through the crowds of AdG & Le Male.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike, honey, we could have just told you, you weren't crazy.

I wear LHB to sleep. Sweet dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice thread, mike.
    For some reason, night scents don't work for me. I'm at my peak during the day, scents at night seem tiresome and irritating to me. I'm sure I am in a very tiny minority here.

Two traditions. (a) Preparing for a trip by plane: Worth pour Homme. (b) Peak performance in a public forum: Blenheim Bouquet.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Let's put it this way, I would never show up at work in La Nuit, but then again I'd never show up at the Eagle in La Nuit either.
    When I work with my client Lanvin I always wear Imperatrice Eugenie by Creed and I'm sure they would prefer one of their scents.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 12th May 2009 at 05:55 AM.

In a recent concert series I was playing the Vivaldi Bassoon Concerto in a minor and for who knows what reason I decided to wear Creed Virgin Island Water to the first performance and it went well so it became my "good luck Vivaldi" fragrance. I haven't worn it since because the last squirt of my decant ran out right before the last performance Which is funny only because I associate Black Aoud much more with the feel of that piece. Hermes Un Jardin Sur le Nil is another "good luck" performance fragrance. We're not supposed to wear any fragrance in concerts so just a little touch to the wrist and I feel "complete"
    Last edited by nthny; 12th May 2009 at 05:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nthny View Post
    In a recent concert series I was playing the Vivaldi Bassoon Concerto in a minor and for who knows what reason I decided to wear Creed Virgin Island Water to the first performance and it went well so it became my "good luck Vivaldi" fragrance. I haven't worn it since because the last squirt of my decant ran out right before the last performance Which is funny only because I associate Black Aoud much more with the feel of that piece. Hermes Un Jardin Sur le Nil is another "good luck" performance fragrance. We're not supposed to wear any fragrance in concerts so just a little touch to the wrist and I feel "complete"
    We have a bassoonist among us! Cool.

hahaha yep

I only wear NRfH when it's raining.

Antidote has for a long time been my unlucky fragrance as for a period of time every time I wore it something huge would go wrong. I've trepidatiously started to wear it again and nothing has gone wrong.. yet! It is one of my faves but for so long I just couldn't bring myself to wear it for fear of something bad happening. The only other scent I feel this way about is L'Antimatiere.

Hugo XY I mostly only wear after a good workout. It's really light and refreshing and simple - qualities that make it less than satisfying in other circumstances, but after a workout it is perfect.

L'Anarchiste nearly monopolizes my SotD choice when the leaves are turning colors. I'd say I wear it about 75% of the time or more during that brief couple of weeks.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Post Thanks / Like

whenever i head out in the sun, i always approach either Ambre Sultan or L'Air du desert M.

whenever, i want to please my company and garner compliments...i wear L'Air or Dior Homme or Mazzolari Lui.

i like to dab on Profumums Fumidus when im working or when im at home.

i always wear TDC's or Guerlains to Church or formal events...somehow mazzo lui feels too devilish

when im not sure what i want, my go to scent is Boss Selections. it's pure genius upto the last molecule on skin. never fails to satisfy.

one of my favorite passtimes when i wake up is...dab on 4 different scents..one each on upper palms and inner wrists

don't call me crazy...call me Bner.
    Last edited by jenson; 12th May 2009 at 07:26 AM.

This may sound a bit typical but I always grave a spot of Geo F Trumpers Bay Rum Cologne after shaving..... Always after shaving.

I only wear Chanel pour Monsieur during Valentine's Day. Don't know why. That's the only time I wear that Chanel's classic. Guess it's my lucky scent (like my lucky red underwear:- Chinese people are very superstitious- lol)

Post Thanks / Like

No, I don't. I usually rely on weather and have a more seasonal approach to wearing my fragrances. Seldom shower and change fragrances for evening, I refresh what I have worn during the day.

Post Thanks / Like

Funny now that I think about it, I seem to reach for Burberry Touch on Sunday mornings.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boston View Post
    Funny now that I think about it, I seem to reach for Burberry Touch on Sunday mornings.
    Ha ha... I use Burberry Touch when going out on saturday nights. It`s a girl-magnet!

Post Thanks / Like

I only wear my jasmine frags at night, once night has fallen, never before. It would not occur to me to wear them during daytime.