Code of Conduct

Default Caron pour Homme

Ever since I discovered Caron it has been a surprised after another. My first Caron was Yatagan which is an amazing scent , very very dried on my skin nevertheless awesome.
    My second Caron was L Anarchiste which is on top of my list and I think the most striking fragrance that I have. Third Man was my number 3 (of course ) I love it from first sniff and it will always be part of my wardrobe.

Today I received the much anticipated and awaited Caron Pour Homme. I knew more or less what to expect and being from Caron it should be something very good but I guess I was wrong.

I opened the box and I sprayed 3 times on my hand and twice in a test paper. From the very first moment I smell it I disliked it, it was not a mere "nah not very good" it was dislike. A very intense note of plasticine made my stomach upset. Was it the mixture of lavender and vanilla? was it the anise? I have no clue but on my skin Caron PH transformed into something cloying and artificial. One word : plasticine. Similar note that I found in L Male and The Dreamer .... a dreaded accord.

I have been smelling the paper test (and my hand) for over 7 hours now, and I still do not like it. The fragrance is not very chameleonic but rather straight forward , the plasticine monster note has toned down a lot into a more vanilla dry-down with the omnipresent Lavender all the way.
    As I mentioned above it must be that my skin and PH are not good match and perhaps my hyper sensibility to "plasticine" similarities block me. I will park PH for a while but I can tell this is absolutely a NO for me. I really wanted to like it but I guess one cannot enjoyed all.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Caron pour Homme

Sorry to hear that Basteri. Caron Pour un Homme seems to be one of those polarizing fragrances - you either love it or hate it.

I will admit that it wasn't love at first sniff for me. But over time I came to really appreciate it and enjoy it. Maybe the same will happen to you. But if not, 3 out of 4 isn't bad.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 11th May 2009 at 04:42 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

absolutely Petruccij, 3 out of 4 is superb and I have not changed my mind about Caron, a great house. :-)

I also bought this recently. So far I'm very indifferent towards it. I don't get the "plasticine" smell from it.

As you say, so many great fragrances from this house.

To be honest, as far as lavender and vanilla fragrances go, I like the much derided Azzaro Pure Lavender better (OK BN's, flame away!).

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

I disliked it a lot when I tested it on my wrist in a store. And I did that several more times, and kept disliking it.

Then one day I ordered a cheap bottle as part of another order - because it was really cheap.

I wore it, and was surprised - it was marvellous.

I went back to the store where I'd first tested it to see if it was the same scent that I'd so disliked all those other times - and it was.

Don't make any final decision till you've given it a thorough wearing. Your views may remain unchanged, but then again, you may be surprised.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Moon View Post

To be honest, as far as lavender and vanilla fragrances go, I like the much derided Azzaro Pure Lavender better (OK BN's, flame away!).
    Why flame you?
    Those that deride it often seem to also have a love for ultra expensive niche lavenders, that blow away with a gust of wind.

I have two bottles of Pure Lavender, and two of Caron PH.
    Renato

I will park it for sometime and I will give it as many chances as it takes BUT the plasticine note or similar is something that I cant take, so I am skeptical about this one. It goes from my nose straight to my stomach and I find it repulsive.
    I never tried Azzaro Pure Lavender , I should though.

Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    I will park it for sometime and I will give it as many chances as it takes BUT the plasticine note or similar is something that I cant take, so I am skeptical about this one. It goes from my nose straight to my stomach and I find it repulsive.
    I never tried Azzaro Pure Lavender , I should though.
    Leave it for a while!
    use it some other time...on better moment.
    it might work differently. right now u need to be entertained.
    u need to be taken away .... u need adventure with the perfume.
    so u have some expectations.

soon it wil change and u might like it.
    i think u understand what i am talking about here

yes I do Mo. :-)

I get the same note you do but probably not to the same degree. If I apply it right out of the shower it's lovely and wears fine, if there's any dried perspiration or a build up of of skin oils then the plastic-y note dominates. Now Dreamer, that's plastic!
    Last edited by noirwest; 11th May 2009 at 08:27 PM.

Plastic lavender isn't my cup of tea. I absolutely hate it! LOL. Yatagan is decent and unique, but I don't find myself reaching for it often. And L'Anarchiste is another one I really hate. This has led me to not bother pursuing a sample of Third Man.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 11th May 2009 at 08:49 PM.

I really enjoy Third Man, which I recently acquired in a swap (thanks Francois!). It's quite traditional - a little difficult in warmer weather, but I've found it's a total chameleon on my skin and the longevity/projection is quite spectacular.

Have yet to try any of the other ones.. not so sure I need another Yatagan type fragrance in my wardrobe by the sounds of it!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I disliked it a lot when I tested it on my wrist in a store. And I did that several more times, and kept disliking it.

Then one day I ordered a cheap bottle as part of another order - because it was really cheap.

I wore it, and was surprised - it was marvelous.

I went back to the store where I'd first tested it to see if it was the same scent that I'd so disliked all those other times - and it was.

Don't make any final decision till you've given it a thorough wearing. Your views may remain unchanged, but then again, you may be surprised.
    Renato
    I totally agree
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I first sampled CPuH at the Duty Free in Istanbul in 2006, and thought it smelled vile. That initial lavender punch in the face was too much for me. I then sampled it again last year. Same effect initially. I forgot about it but then hours later caught a whiff of something sublime, the heart/basenotes had kicked in. I loved what i smelled and bought a bottle immediately.

For me, CPuH is one of those pain-before-pleasure scents.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Third Man is nice. Kind of a Fougere Lite. Of Caron's more famous offerings, it's gotta be one of the easiest to wear.

Second round (day 2).

Still the same brutal opening, lavender turning into plasticine in less than a minute.
    Last night I applied again after shower and yet the same unpleasant note.
    The last stages of the dry down , when the fragrance is fading very much away I get something pleasant but not yet.
    Time to close the box and send cPH for an early temporary retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    Second round (day 2).

Still the same brutal opening, lavender turning into plasticine in less than a minute.
    Last night I applied again after shower and yet the same unpleasant note.
    The last stages of the dry down , when the fragrance is fading very much away I get something pleasant but not yet.
    Time to close the box and send cPH for an early temporary retirement.
    I don't smell plasticine in it.
    But I've always really enjoyed the smell of plasticine.
    I wonder if there is something significant in that.

Just curious - have you asked others around you what they perceive?
    Renato

yes, they detect the same plastic, plasticine note...

For those who have issues with PuH! Your loss is my gain. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post

...I will admit that it wasn't love at first sniff for me. But over time I came to really appreciate it and enjoy it...
    This is also my experience. Each time I wear it I am surprised by the vanillic lavendar opening which seems very amplified. I don't get any plasticine-like note. But it quickly mellows out, becomes more integrated and harmonic, and settles in for a nice, long drydown. It is one of the more unique compositions in my collection.

You may want to try to the Impact/no alcohol version. The lavender is toned down and the structure is pretty much the same.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Pour Un Homme is one of my favorite fragrances! I loved it the minute I first tried it five years ago. I think it's the perfect lavender fragrance and smells very natural to me. My wife, however, hates it and says it's too powdery.

I do prefer Yatagan, however. Troisieme Homme is very good, but not as good as the other two, IMO.

I too, put PuH at or near the top of my favorites. As a matter of record and I have said this before, all 4 of the classic Caron's for men are at or near the top for me , depending on my particular moods. PuH, L'A, 3rd Man and Yatagan are all classics, have withstood the tests of time and are worn by many. For some reason they are affordable too!. If Yatagan were 300.00 USD, its appreciation value would be much more than its current value to wearers.