Code of Conduct

Default Green treat: Floris Elite

Elite by Floris

Bergamot, cedar leaf, grapefruit, juniper berry, petitgrain
    Bay, fir balsam, lavender
    Amber, cedarwood, moss, musk, patchouli, vetiver

Since I have a reputation for loving green scents, I want to share my latest discovery: Floris Elite. I've looked in the threads, and apart from one BNer who really didn't like it, I didn't see a sustained discussion of it. I tried it in the John Lewis store in Cambridge, and immediate connected with it. I bought it on the spot, and I love it.

This has a lovely green, bergamot-rich opening. The juniper and leafy cedar add fresh notes. Bay (laurel) adds to a terrific aromatic green-herbal theme. The laurel is outstanding here, being reserved yet uplifting (as befits its ancient Greek usage in victory crowns). This is a dry, well-blended scent. There are good coniferous elements lurking in the background. The drydown continues the green theme, with mossy and light musk notes. The drydown gets cool: the moss-musk-vetiver/grass produces a classy, somewhat austere British sort of mood (which I love). I think this is a great green scent: it is aromatic, not sweet, lively and yet formal. At times it reminds me of Truefitt & Hills Grafton. Big endorsement.

Has anyone tried this?
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Default Re: Green treat: Floris Elite

sounds very interesting Oddy. i never got a chance to check this out...i remember markdavid had this one for sale at a very good price...but, the tradional BNer that i am, negative reviews in the reviews section swayed my decision

as i was reading thru your reviews..and the way you described some notes, couldnt help, but think of one other scent with similar notes. im referring to Miller et Bertaux's Spiritus Land #2....any resembalance whtsoever......?
    Last edited by jenson; 11th May 2009 at 07:51 PM.

I am a big fan of the Floris line, but I have never been able to cuddle up to Elite in the way that I can the others in the range. I do agree that the opening is exceedlingly fresh and vibrant, but I found the drydown poor, with none of the constituent ingredients making much of an impression on me, It is by no means unpleasant, but to my nose it lacks an edge, a personality of its own. However, I am always glad to see the name Floris appear on the board

Odysseusm, I did enjoy reading your experience with Elite, I will dig out my sample later and give it another go.
    Last edited by Bartlebooth; 11th May 2009 at 07:49 PM.

I'm glad you posted this Odysseusm-and just in time too!
    I was reading about Floris Elite on the Basenotes directory last night, in search of a good green fragrance (preferably with some decent moss). I have a bit of money burning a hole in my pocket, and your review just sealed the deal for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    sounds very interesting Oddy. i never got a chance to check this out...i remember markdavid had this one for sale at a very good price...but, the tradional BNer that i am, negative reviews in the reviews section swayed my decision

as i was reading thru your reviews..and the way you described some notes, couldnt help, but think of one other scent with similar notes. im referring to Miller et Bertaux's Spiritus Land #2....any resembalance whtsoever......?
    Hi jenson. Yes, I looked at the negative reviews only after I'd written up my review. I was surprised at the poor showing. I think that part of it is that some reviewers have admitted they are not big fans of green scents. For me, Elite gets it just right: lively and yet austere.
    I looked at your review of M&B #2. You got a lot of green out of it. My memory is of a terrific incense and freshly-cut ginger scent. I am sure that it reacts differently on my skin than yours. Nuka and I demonstrated that principle in our meeting. It was astonishing how the same scent varied between us. BTW - I thought I had posted a review of #2 but I don't see one. I'll have to check my notes.
    For me, the closest analogue to Elite is, as I said, T&H's Grafton. Not exact, but alike in that they are green, dry, and slightly reserved.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
    I'm glad you posted this Odysseusm-and just in time too!
    I was reading about Floris Elite on the Basenotes directory last night, in search of a good green fragrance (preferably with some decent moss). I have a bit of money burning a hole in my pocket, and your review just sealed the deal for me.
    Hi Manuel, thanks for the vote of confidence. If you like green, I'm pretty sure you'll find this a good one. Cheers,
    odysseusm

Smells ok, bought wen my gf was not feeling well so iv never really grown to love it, always reminds me of that day.
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M