Code of Conduct

Default Have I finally gone off the deep end?

Lately I've been reading people's musings about older vintage chypres and I think that it finally got to me. EBay can be a wonderful and wicked mistress. Late last night I was hunting for the obscure and decided to type in "chypre". Who would have thought that it would lead me to one of the most bizarre purchases in my EBay experience. I just purchased the following:

11 bottles of Coty Cypre Friction Lotion Perfume Tonic. It is described on the case as "Coty non-oily single friction for the hair. Cleanses the scalp. Removes all trace of grease and leaves a new attractive lustre. Speeds up the drying of the hair after shampoo and prepares it to take a deeper and softer wave. It is exhilarating, refreshing, and an excellent tonic which stimulates the growth of the hair. Hair, fragrant with a Coty Perfume, is not only pleasing to oneself, but attractive to others."

Case No. 2946 is filled (minus 1) with 7" bottles with red wax seals.

Is it official - that I'm certifiably nuts?
    Don a wig of larks and fly!

Default Re: Have I finally gone off the deep end?

Ding, Ding, Ding...we have a winner!

Quote Originally Posted by Merbert View Post
    Is it official - that I'm certifiably nuts?
    No. Not even close. I've witnessed much more nutty behaviour here on BN (like owning 8 plus bottles of an easily obtainable designer frag.)
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Basenotes Institution

LOL. (ahem)...yes, you're nuts.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Talking Re: Have I finally gone off the deep end?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    LOL. (ahem)...yes, you're nuts.
    Ah, but my hair will smell terrific!

Blog Entries

It depends...how much was it? It will be interesting to smell. I've seen those lotions for sale & wondered what they were like, now you'll know.

Merbert,

Not to be a buzz-killer, but I'd be a bit cautious about putting it on your scalp right away. Do a patch test first in the crook of your elbow and check for any irritation. Usually, products that claim to dry the hair quickly contain alcohol, and it could be drying or irritating. Just my two cents, but out of concern for your well-being.

And, um, yes - you're nuts, but you're one of us!

May it smell great, no matter what!

J.
    Last edited by Jardanel; 12th May 2009 at 09:23 PM.

Heck, for under $30.00 for 11 bottles, it was a bargain. And yes, Jardanel, I do a patch test on every unknown substance because of sensitive skin. It really pays off when I am working with absolutes and fragrance compounds especially as I have found a few that my skin really doesn't like.

Blog Entries

I wasn't really thinking of using it. I was thinking of splashing on on arms, maybe. Only if it seems normal. But in any case it might smell good like the real perfume. I would only be interested in this sort of tonic if it was a rare frag. For instance vintage Tabac Blond, something like that I might just try to smell vintage, bcs Tabac Blond parfum is so rare.

Blog Entries

Unhappy Re: Have I finally gone off the deep end?

It's nine bottles but, who's counting. Busted my friend.? " Can't please everyone so, you got to please yourself."

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    No. Not even close. I've witnessed much more nutty behaviour here on BN (like owning 8 plus bottles of an easily obtainable designer frag.)
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 12th May 2009 at 11:41 PM.

Blog Entries

You bought 11 bottles of anything for under $30! You're not nuts, you're Scottish! We'll start invitin' ya ta clan meetins, lass.

Quote Originally Posted by ECaruthers View Post
    You bought 11 bottles of anything for under $30! You're not nuts, you're Scottish! We'll start invitin' ya ta clan meetins, lass.
    Ah, t'is but nothing compared to the 17th Century Irish pewter plates I got at our local thrift shop for a dollar apiece.
    Last edited by Merbert; 13th May 2009 at 06:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Merbert View Post
    Heck, for under $30.00 for 11 bottles, it was a bargain..
    Sounds like a no-brainer to me. Please post a thread about it -- we'd love to hear the details!
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Hah - I was searching for something else and this appeared. So, I wonder if Merbert has anything to report??? I hope that was a worthwhile purchase. I've necro'd this out of curiosity.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas