Code of Conduct

Default Historical scents at British Museum!

In my trip to London, I was doing research at the British Museum. I had all sorts of shops and stops planned for scents, but I never expected to find a great scent at the BM! But I did.

There is a new line, which is carred at the BM and a few John Lewis locations. It is called "Scents of Time." The goal of this company is to imaginatively re-create historical scents. Here's the website
    www.scentsoftime.co.uk. I tried to search the archives for this, but couldn't get the term to come up. So I hope this is of interest to people.

I admit that although tremendously interested, I was a bit dubious. The product placement seemed a bit touristy to me. But upon examination, I have to say the presentation is very good (booklet, box, etc) and the scents are quite well done. The BM carries three scents: Ankh (unisex woody oriental), Nenufar (women's floral acquatic), and Pyxis (women's floral oriental). I was particularly interested in Pyxis, since it is inspired by the frescoes at Pompeii, some of which I've studied. But the scent, though well done, was too sweet for me. But Ankh was very pleasing! It had elements I liked, and it reminded me of time in Egypt, in bazaars and also in old tombs and monuments. Here's my review. Has anyone else tried this line? The SA in the BM said the products are selling well.

Ankh
    Top: Sicilian bergamot and lemon, lime, junper, pink pepper
    Mid: Myrtle, cypress, lavender, geranium, jasmine, cassia, cinnamon, nutmeg, black apper
    Base: Benzoin, labdanum frankincense, myrrh, sandalwood, vetiver, birch tar, cedar, guaiacwood, accord of honey, tobacco and vanilla
    This is a truly excellent scent, a woody oriental that I can whole-heartedly endorse. The citrus notes of the opening are good, but predictably brief. Myrtle and cypress give green, coniferous notes. So far, it is light and refreshing, but then it develops some really interesting spicy-earthy elements. The sandalwood is well done, quite authentic. The birch tar is smoky and tangy, and cedar and guaiac are good and woody. The hints of tobacco and vanilla are not problematic for me. They are not sweet nor heavy. They give an earthy tang which, combined with the spices, creates an old-stones note that I find pleasant. Romantically, it suggests the atmosphere of an old pyramid tomb. The scent here is like Eau D’Italie, but with less citrus and more stony character. It is most intriguing.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Default Re: Historical scents at British Museum!

I was in the British museum last month and I somehow missed these. Thanks for the info. Next time......

These had a bit of publicity when they launched - national radio etc. I looked into them at the time and was disappointed to find out that they were not recreations of old recipes or somehow rooted to genuine historical perfumes but really just modern juices marketed into an interesting niche.

Haven't smelled 'em though so I guess I should shut up....
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Inetersting case of segmentation to be mentioned in class!

wow that's nice but i think i been to there but never see scents heeh

The scents are sold in the luxury shop at the British Museum, the one with the silk scarves and jewelry and pottery reproductions.
    Don't go sniffing the actual mummies
    By an interesting coincidence, surreality has posted a video today, in which the perfumer talks about Amun and Nenufar.
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228284
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

you can get them mail order here too

http://www.firebox.com/product/2237/Scents-of-Time

Blog Entries

Very interesting. I had stumbled across these a while back, when the product was in an earlier stage and not as appealingly marketed. I was a bit skeptical. But a good review from odysseusm makes me take notice. Hmmmm.....