Code of Conduct

Question So does Art of Shaving Sandalwood edt has real Mysore Sandalwood?

I have finally warmed up to the beautiful sandalwood note that emerges after the eucalyptus has settled down in AOS Sandalwood..I am on a quest to get some fragrances that contain the real thing -'Mysore Sandalwood'....

The description about AOS Sandalwood says this

The Art of Shaving Sandalwood Cologne

The sandalwood trees of Mysore, India, yield the world's most valuable and exquisite sandalwood essential oil, prized over thousands of years for its perfume and therapeutic qualities. The treasured essence is extracted from the heart of the mature tree 30 years or older, then aged for six months to achieve its full eloquence. Warmed by the skin, our custom blend of sandalwood and pure essential oils becomes sweetly spicey, lightly herbaceous, with a woody undertone both calming and sensual. Free of synthetic fragrance and dyes.

Considering how rare Mysore sandalwood oil has become, do you think it would be true that Art of Shaving Sandalwood cologne contains real mysore sandalwood oil? Even in small proportions?

The description says it does not contain any 'synthetic fragrance'...That means that the sandalwood fragrance in AOS sandalwood is actually the result of 'natural sandalwood' which they claim is Mysore Sandalwood....That's a little hard to believe isn't it? Also is AOS Sandalwood discontinued now?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: So does Art of Shaving Sandalwood edt has real Mysore Sandalwood?

If they say it it must be true!
    Revenge is Tribute

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    I have finally warmed up to the beautiful sandalwood note that emerges after the eucalyptus has settled down in AOS Sandalwood
    Well, that took a while!

Could it be you're more amenable to the eucalyptus now that everyone is walking around coughing and spluttering in our cold bug ridden town?

(I wish we had Swine flu instead - there's a cure for that - there's no cure for our colds!)
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Well, that took a while!

Could it be you're more amenable to the eucalyptus now that everyone is walking around coughing and spluttering in our cold bug ridden town?

(I wish we had Swine flu instead - there's a cure for that - there's no cure for our colds!)
    Renato
    I knew you would read this thread Renato and that is why I carefully chose my words when posting it

There is still no real truce with 'eucalyptus'...It is just that I have to cross the 'eucalyptus' stage to reach the 'sandalwood' stage...so no choice really

Am just going through all my samples of various sandalwood fragrances and deciding which ones I want....Surprisingly my perception about a lot of them has changed in a short time...but hey that's normal..isn't it

Am just going through all my samples of various sandalwood fragrances and deciding which ones I want....Surprisingly my perception about a lot of them has changed in a short time...but hey that's normal..isn't it
    True, but when I read your first thread on this scent some months back I knew that eucalyptus or no eucalyptus, you were going to change your mind on this scent.
    Cheers,
    Renato

I doubt it would still have real mysore sandalwood (if it ever did)...it'd be awfully expensive if it did. Your best bet would be to get a vintage bottle of whatever...Tam Dao maybe.

Well, it's not like there is no more Mysore sandalwood on the market. I would imagine it contains a small amount and it could be an inferior grade, with the major portion of the scent consisting of Austrlain or Caledonian varieties and other naturals.

Here some info on sandalwood production and usage issues:
    http://www.aromaconnection.org/2008/...elopments.html
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

It's Australian Sandalwood - not Mysore Sandalwood. Mysore is not used in commercial perfumery as it is extremely cost prohibative and socially unaceptabile.

There's a scratchy woody note underneath a mountain of eucalyptus and fir needle - I don't know how this one came to be a popular 'sandalwood' recommendation. Just like Trumpers Sandalwood Cologne, try the corresponding shaving cream to get any semblance of a decent woody note out of this.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Kohinool View Post
    It's Australian Sandalwood - not Mysore Sandalwood. Mysore is not used in commercial perfumery as it is extremely cost prohibative and socially unaceptabile.
    On a related topic, does MONTALE Santal De Mysore contain any Mysore Sandalwood?

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    There's a scratchy woody note underneath a mountain of eucalyptus and fir needle - I don't know how this one came to be a popular 'sandalwood' recommendation. Just like Trumpers Sandalwood Cologne, try the corresponding shaving cream to get any semblance of a decent woody note out of this.
    Art of Shaving's sandalwood aftershave balm is a GREAT sandalwood scent. I get endless compliments on it. More so than most of my colognes.
    - E.J.

Basenotes Institution

I love this sandalwood. I will be buying a full bottle one of these days. I love the eucalyptus element to the scent. I could care less if it has real Mysore sandalwood or wherever the heck it's from: it smells good.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I have finally warmed up to the beautiful sandalwood note that emerges after the eucalyptus has settled down in AOS Sandalwood..I am on a quest to get some fragrances that contain the real thing -'Mysore Sandalwood'....

The description about AOS Sandalwood says this

The Art of Shaving Sandalwood Cologne

The sandalwood trees of Mysore, India, yield the world's most valuable and exquisite sandalwood essential oil, prized over thousands of years for its perfume and therapeutic qualities. The treasured essence is extracted from the heart of the mature tree 30 years or older, then aged for six months to achieve its full eloquence. Warmed by the skin, our custom blend of sandalwood and pure essential oils becomes sweetly spicey, lightly herbaceous, with a woody undertone both calming and sensual. Free of synthetic fragrance and dyes.

Considering how rare Mysore sandalwood oil has become, do you think it would be true that Art of Shaving Sandalwood cologne contains real mysore sandalwood oil? Even in small proportions?

The description says it does not contain any 'synthetic fragrance'...That means that the sandalwood fragrance in AOS sandalwood is actually the result of 'natural sandalwood' which they claim is Mysore Sandalwood....That's a little hard to believe isn't it? Also is AOS Sandalwood discontinued now?

Thanks in advance.

Gupts,

Where in the ad copy that you quote above do they actually claim that their product contains Mysore Sandalwood?

As I read it, you get your standard, oft-repeated, formulaic, banal, romanticization of the origins of Mysore Sandalwood and then a spiel about their "custom blend of sandalwood and pure essential oils" blah, blah, blah.

Mysore Sandalwood is a ruse. Companies who produce fragrances are under no legal compulsion to define it specifically or to provide proof that their product contains it, which more often than not (99% of the time), it doesn't. I don't know why this mystique. It seems the lure of naturalness is still very strong. I am entirely weary and incredulous about any claims made by perfume companies. As I have noted before, Chandler Burr's courageous book The Perfect Scent makes it very clear that modern perfumery is predicated on lies and the withholding of information. To my nose and for what it's worth--for a company that "implies" its products are all natural--AOS products smell unbearably synthetic, and I'm one of those people who loves synthetic when it is done well. I can guarantee you as someone in possession of Mysore Sandalwood essential oil that AOS Sandalwood does not contain any Mysore Sandalwood essential oil; in fact, I will even go so far as too say it contains very little quality sandalwood essential oil at all. Notice, they don't even say it contains sandalwood essential oil. What they say is that it contains a "custom blend of sandalwood and pure essential oils." They can't even come straight out and say it contains sandalwood essential oil, because I suspect it doesn't. "Sandalwood"--as opposed to Sandalwood essential oil--is a very broad and elastic concept in perfumery. It means any number of synthetic woody odorants available for use by the perfumer to construct a sandalwood note. If you or anyone else is interested in Mysore Sandalwood essential oil and whether or not it has been used or is currently used in any contemporary fragrances in any significant degree, do take a look at my post (#16) from yesterday's thread on Tam Dao.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 14th May 2009 at 01:11 PM.

Thank you all for chipping in...

Like Mike said above, Mysore sandalwood or not, it smells good...and l should be getting my bottle soon too...