Code of Conduct

Exclamation NEW Olivier Durbano scent!

I have just updated my blog with text and information givent to Sorcery of Scent, on the brand new Olivier Durbano release: Turquoise.

Click here to read more...

Default Re: NEW Olivier Durbano scent!

Got to get me some

The turpentine note in the top should be interesting to sniff.
    Thanks for the early peek Dimitri
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

I also found the turpentine accord an interesting mention!
    I have to say Im very excited to try this one.

very interesting indeed!! given the notes, this should turn out quite Lutensesque!

Isn't terpentine used in CdG Hinoki?

I hope this isn't as weird and thick as Jade. Just tried it last night and I felt like a tea bag.

I did really enjoy Rock Crystal.

Thanks Dimitri for the early heads up. I'm really looking forward to this, the whole idea behind this line is fascinating, using the various gemstones opens up a whole world of opportunities and avenues to explore. The notes sound incredibly interesting, the only thing I'm worried about is the everlasting flower because the only exposure I have to it as a note is in Divine's L’etre Aime pour homme, and it was all celery on me. Hopefully I don't get that smell out of this one.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    Camphor is the note in Hinoki.
    Camphor is a component of turpentine.
    Turpentine is a distillation of resin from pine trees and is mainly composed of two versions of pinene.
    The smell of each in their pure form is different to me.
    Plus turpentine also contains many other smelly compounds in smaller percentages.
    Turpentine is also referred to as mineral spirits or white spirit and is commonly used as paint remover or thinner.
    The idea of using a strong note like turpentine right at the top of a fragrance would have mede me cringe a bit before Hinoki's successful, to me, use of camphor.
    It is why I am interested in getting a sniff of Turquoise.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Basenotes Institution

Turpentine!!! Color me interested.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Turquoise is an incredible blend of ozonic/mineral notes with what I call the "durbanote" (a joyful yet meditative incense). Like fire and water, the perfect match. I'm getting licorice-like nuances, definitely not as thick as Jade, it's very fresh actually. Finally a marine scent done right!

Quote Originally Posted by Le critique de parfum View Post
    Turquoise is an incredible blend of ozonic/mineral notes with what I call the "durbanote" (a joyful yet meditative incense). Like fire and water, the perfect match. I'm getting licorice-like nuances, definitely not as thick as Jade, it's very fresh actually. Finally a marine scent done right!
    Great to hear. How did you get the opportunity to try it? And do you know when it will be available?
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Great to hear. How did you get the opportunity to try it? And do you know when it will be available?
    It has already been launched in Paris.
    My bottle will be arriving (hopefully) by the weekend... my first blind acquisition in years.

Thanks for the heads up on this, Dmitri! I'm a fan of Rock Crystal and a HUGE fan of Black Tourmaline. Please let us know how you like it when your bottle arrives. (Great pic of you on your blog, BTW.)

My bottle has arrived and I must say this is a phenomenally good scent! Most definitely NOT a "typical" scent in the "ozonic" class.

More info and a review on my blog.

Dependent

Am clueless with the perfumer, but saw your blog and find it very interesting in character and looks (bit like the 212 ice flanker?). So many terms and lingo im alien to lol.. Glad its great for you

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    My bottle has arrived and I must say this is a phenomenally good scent! Most definitely NOT a "typical" scent in the "ozonic" class.

More info and a review on my blog.

Great review Dimitri. Looking forward to this one greatly. Let's just cross our fingers that it's better than Geranium Pour Monsieur. I have an email out to Luckyscent, hopefully they know when they will have this one in stock. I'll be sure to update with any info.

It definitely is better than the geranium mtgprox05!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    Am clueless with the perfumer, but saw your blog and find it very interesting in character and looks (bit like the 212 ice flanker?). So many terms and lingo im alien to lol.. Glad its great for you
    Matt, who cares about the perfumer, look at the pretty bottles, with the gemstones floating at the bottom... I know, I know but I'm a sucker.

Ok, sorry to keep bumping this up but I am pumped! Just got the email back from Luckyscent with two bits of good info. They said they should have Turquoise up on the site and ready to go next week, and they informed me about another few scents I'm real psyched for, the rest of the Humiecki and Graef scents that have been available overseas forever, they just got in as well. Can't wait to try Eau Radieuse!

I am very excited about this one, but won't buy unsniffed because I really didn't care for Jade. I love Rock Crystal and Black Tourmaline. This one sounds very promising though! Will be watching Luckyscent carefully to see when it pops up.

Basenotes Institution

So, D - does it smell like turpentine? Or like something 'like' turpentine?

Signed,

A Certified Turpentine Sniffer

-- Jack Kerouac

Haha - well the turpentine is not really discernable (not as in a "wash your oil paint brushes" kind of terpentine at least... but I do find a penetrating accord in the background that is mineralic (one that I cannot assign to myrrh, elemi or oliban). I think its certainly one you might like to try Mike. Will send you a PM.

Lucky Scent has this now. I just ordered a sample. Unfortunately, it's a bit more expensive ($140) and they've also raised the prices a bit now on all of the earlier Olivier Durbanos. Each release has gotten progressively more expensive.

I just got my sample today and am wearing it right now. After trying and hating Jade, I was cautiously optomistic about Turquoise. I'm actually really liking this stuff guys. It's actually a very unique take on a very familiar genre. I'm not quite sure what sort of fruit I'm smelling, but it does smell very fruity to me, which is generally a no go for me so we'll have to see how this develops. I also get the sort of mineralic note in the background that Dimitri mentions but thankfully it isn't like the one that I dislike in Terre d'Hermes.

I'm really intrigued by this. The notes sound amazing and interesting, and I'm a big fan of marine and ozonic scents done right.

Granted, Versace Pour Homme already does the marine/oud/mienral thing amazingly well, but I wouldn't mind having another scent with a greener, pinier take on it all.

So is this just fruity, mtg, or are the greens and incense noticeable to you?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

The only vaguely fruity vibe that I can imagine here is the juniper berry... but that still seems more suggestive of conifers/pine to my nose than any actual fruit to speak of.

The interpretation of ozone/marine here is quite removed from the "mainstream" idea... and the incense are definitely there. If you're familiar with Durbano's entire line, you will recognise the oliban/frankincense as his "red thread".

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post

I hope this isn't as weird and thick as Jade. Just tried it last night and I felt like a tea bag.

I did really enjoy Rock Crystal.
    Could you expound on that bit more? Was it a used tea bag or new/dry? My condolences if were a used decaffeinated one.

I've only tried my sample of this once so far, but I'm not a fan at this point. It has a sharpness that reminds me of Jade, which I also didn't like. I guess I'll stick to Rock Crystal and Black Tourmaline. (BT being, by far, my favorite of the Durbano offerings to date.)

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I'm really intrigued by this. The notes sound amazing and interesting, and I'm a big fan of marine and ozonic scents done right.

Granted, Versace Pour Homme already does the marine/oud/mienral thing amazingly well, but I wouldn't mind having another scent with a greener, pinier take on it all.

So is this just fruity, mtg, or are the greens and incense noticeable to you?
    No it's not just fruity theres a lot more going on. I agree with Dimi it must be the juniper berries that I'm smelling. Odd thing is that juniper berries rarely smell this fruity to me, but oh well I like it. I have to disagree with Dimitri in one thing though. The ozone accord is very familiar, it smells very close to the same accord used in most designer aquatics. The differnce here is that it is juxtaposed beautifully with so much other great stuff, so that it never becomes boring or annoying to the nose. I personally can no longer stand the designer aquatics because it seems that it's always about that incredibly strong ozone accord on top of some generic woody drydown. Turquoise however has as I said before something fruity to go along with it (perhaps others won't find it as fruity as me, I seem to have sensitivities to fruit accords in frags), and some beautiful green notes as well as light incense. Me being not a HUGE fan of incense I'm digging how light it is in Turquoise, I do not find it to be in the forefront. I think you may really like it SoS.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    I've only tried my sample of this once so far, but I'm not a fan at this point. It has a sharpness that reminds me of Jade, which I also didn't like. I guess I'll stick to Rock Crystal and Black Tourmaline. (BT being, by far, my favorite of the Durbano offerings to date.)
    That's intersting Tony. I hate Jade, find it smells oddly hot and muddy. But I don't get many similarities between this and Turquoise.

It's weird.. occasionally I get this "feeling".. this totally illogical hunch that I'll really like a frag before I've even tried it. I fall for the name, the notes, the image it represents.. one or all of those. First it was Erolfa. I now own and love it, considering it one of my all time faves. Next it was Bois de Turquie. I now own and love it, considering it one of my all time faves.

I rarely get that feeling but I have it again for Turquoise. I've not smelled *anything* else by Durbano, yet - although Jade and Black Tourmaline intrigue me. So far I'm two for two with my hunches.. will it be three for three?

Imma order a sample of this soon!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Dependent

Similarly, i bought Erolfa on the blind after reading that its "oceanic". I enjoy it.

I'm a sucker for nice looking bottles and packaging. Really tempted to do a blind on one of those "gems", but will wait for more agreements before committing. reading what mtgprox05 said about Turquoise makes it all the more tempting. Luckyscent's international shipping rates are killer for full bottles.

SOS, it would be great to read what you think about them once you have sampled
    Last edited by MFJ; 20th June 2009 at 03:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    Similarly, i bought Erolfa on the blind after reading that its "oceanic". I enjoy it.

I'm a sucker for nice looking bottles and packaging. Really tempted to do a blind on one of those "gems", but will wait for more agreements before committing. reading what mtgprox05 said about Turquoise makes it all the more tempting. Luckyscent's international shipping rates are killer for full bottles.

SOS, it would be great to read what you think about them once you have sampled
    Matt here's a little secret. Use code "mua" for free shipping forever! Shhhhh.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Matt here's a little secret. Use code "mua" for free shipping forever! Shhhhh.
    Whoo! thanks for the heads up Phil! oh man another hole in my pocket soon.

Basenotes Institution

Wearing this today for the 1st time.

I am an aquatic hater, and there are just a handful of beach-type fragrances that I like, usually the more edgy ones. More recently, I think I've mentioned, that the aquatic/watery facet in Secretions Magnifique by ELDO really ruined watery notes for me. After the trauma of sampling SM, all fragrances thereafter that featured even a tiny bit of this aromachemical made me a little queasy. Sucks, right?

So, this note is in Turquoise. But...the note is also diffused around a wonderful soapy incense with that turpentine note balancing it all out. Brilliant.

I plan on wearing it a couple more times, but easily I can place this in the 'edgy aquatic' category (like Ocean Rain by Mario Valentino, Acqua di Sale by Profumum, Mare by Beth Terry, etc...).
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 22nd June 2009 at 03:56 PM.

-- Jack Kerouac

I wore this again on Monday whilst on a wee shopping excursion in the city, and was asked about my scent by 2 complete strangers in the space of 4 hours! This never happens (except for when i wear Black Orchid or Scent intense)!

It was a warm day, and I had worked up a light sweat whilst trying on clothes in cramped changing rooms. When I was returning some jeans to their installations, a shop worker was stacking shoes on top of boxes at my feet... he looked up and asked if the jeans were a good fit, and then asked if I could tell him what cologne I was wearing His face dropped when I told him it was a niche release that couldnt be bought at the local DS, but was not altogether unobtainable.

The second was by a woman possibly in her late 40s who was standing beside me as I was paying for lunch in a busy coffeeshop/bakery. She said "of all the wonderful smells in this place, YOU have got to be IT!" I was a bit surprised, but pleased she'd asked me what it was. She got me to jot the name down on the back of her receipt too.

Kudos Monsieur Durbano! I can probably count on one hand the number of times Ive garnered multiple compliments in one single outing.
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 12th August 2009 at 04:05 PM.