Code of Conduct

Default Effective (eye) makeup removal???

What is the best way to remove (eye) makeup? Having tried everything I've heard of the best for me are facial wipes, and even they are barely adequate. I certainly don't understand why they're meant to be bad anyway.

I've tried using olive and almond oil. They certainly remove the makeup, but I'm left with a greasy face that nothing will shift. Plus after using around the eyes, the oil eventually creeps into my eyes and irritates them for a long time.

I have a gentle lotion for the purpose - yes it's gentle but very ineffective. I have to apply it three times, rinsing after each application, to get rid of all the makeup. AND it still gives me some of the grease issue above.

I've tried pads for eye-makeup. They do their job, but being soaked with oil ... see above.

What do people mean by saying oil is the best method? You can't leave it on, and can't get rid of it either, short of using hot water and fairy liquid! Obviously hot water and anything harsh is out of the question on the face.

I'm getting really tired of this problem.

Presumably there are people out there who have it figured out?

Default Re: Effective (eye) makeup removal???

The secret is to hold the cotton pad soaked in the eye makeup remover on each eye for 20 seconds plus before gently wiping.

I like Simple eye makeup remover.

Wipes, yeah no problem but give it a few years and then wonder why you have so many eye wrinkles.

The oil is best is actually the two phase ones you buy, you shake the bottle and apply with cotton pads again. Pure castor oil is good for conditioning the lashes, but very very little is needed.
    DONNA

As a man, I don't have the problem. I've seen videos by Sali Hughes, the Guardian's beauty journalist, who describes a "hot cloth" method using cream cleansers. Lisa Eldridge has some videos as well. I think you can get these by doing a search on youtoube for them and cleanser or make up removal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XarZc96Jpw

http://www.lisaeldridge.com/video/12.../#.VKVhzHvq72Q

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    The secret is to hold the cotton pad soaked in the eye makeup remover on each eye for 20 seconds plus before gently wiping.

I like Simple eye makeup remover.

Wipes, yeah no problem but give it a few years and then wonder why you have so many eye wrinkles.

The oil is best is actually the two phase ones you buy, you shake the bottle and apply with cotton pads again. Pure castor oil is good for conditioning the lashes, but very very little is needed.
    Thanks for that. Actually I didn't hear about the 2-phase type oil products, just literally loading on pure olive or almond oil. But that didn't work for me, even though I sometimes moisturize with a droplet of almond oil on a damp face. But my skin won't absorb any more than that.

And course wiping shouldn't be done the same way other areas might ... Needless to say it's more a case of dabbing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    As a man, I don't have the problem. I've seen videos by Sali Hughes, the Guardian's beauty journalist, who describes a "hot cloth" method using cream cleansers. Lisa Eldridge has some videos as well. I think you can get these by doing a search on youtoube for them and cleanser or make up removal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XarZc96Jpw

http://www.lisaeldridge.com/video/12.../#.VKVhzHvq72Q

cacio
    I've heard about the hot cloth stuff. Isn't heat supposed to be bad for facial skin?

Sorry of that sounds stupid. I try to walk the line between being boyish, i.e. not fussing too much and looking youthful too.

Anyway, I'm dense for not thinking of Lisa Eldridge. Her makeup videos are really good. Never thought of consulting her for getting rid of the stuff.

I think by hot she doesn't mean scalding hot, but simply a cloth dipped in warm water. I don't think warm is bad per se. Steamrooms can be good, if one has dry skin.

cacio

Ok, I'll shut up till I know more after the videos. Thanks again.

Lancome makes a good eye makeup remover. Cold cream works well too but it tends to leave an oily reside. Be gentle and don't stretch your skin - you don't want to get baggy eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark View Post
    Lancome makes a good eye makeup remover. Cold cream works well too but it tends to leave an oily reside. Be gentle and don't stretch your skin - you don't want to get baggy eyes.
    Thank you. Sometimes when I got frustrated it could be easy to rub harder than necessary.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

That video by Lisa Eldridge was really enlightening. I also ordered one of her recommended products. Hopefully things should be less aggravating from here onwards.
    Last edited by Luthien; 7th January 2015 at 08:50 PM.

I have a two-step process where I use one of Shu Uemera's Cleansing Oils followed by a creme cleanser by La Prairie. The key is to apply the oil to dry skin, over the face then wet your hands to emulsify the oil. Rinse with warm water. As noted by others, please be gentle with the rubbing. Btw, it does wonders for removing mascara and other eye makeup.

Quote Originally Posted by mangifera View Post
    I have a two-step process where I use one of Shu Uemera's Cleansing Oils followed by a creme cleanser by La Prairie. The key is to apply the oil to dry skin, over the face then wet your hands to emulsify the oil. Rinse with warm water. As noted by others, please be gentle with the rubbing. Btw, it does wonders for removing mascara and other eye makeup.
    Do you manage to keep the stuff out of your eyes? I always struggle with that? I can't even imagine getting rid of the oil completely. But maybe it's worth another try. Though for now I'm quite happy with the Bioderma solution.

Cleansing balms are my favorite. Try The Body Shop's camomile balm. Works for me, doesn't sting eyes, and it's just one step - I have no patience for complicated face cleansing!

The Shu Uemura oil is good too - works pretty much the same as the balm. But it's like 300 times more expensive.

Luthien, the oil doesn't get in my eyes because I'm not putting lots on. Even when massaging my lashes to get the mascara off, I'm good. It's just trial and error. You don't need too much to get the job done.

Kagey, I may have to try the balm. It's going to be hard to leave Shu Uemera but I can sample. LOL.
    Last edited by mangifera; 23rd January 2015 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mangifera View Post
    Kagey, I may have to try the balm. It's going to be hard to leave Shu Uemera but I can sample. LOL.
    I think they make the camomile in an oil also, but I've never tried it. I love the Shu but I can't justify that price, especially as I don't find it noticeably better than the balm.