Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 53
  1. #1

    Default Patricia de Nicolai

    i dont wanna say scents by Patricia de Nicolai are often underrated and insult this fine perfumer; who is passionate about the scent as a whole, the ingredients that go into it and ofcourse the pricing (which imho is as fair as it gets). i feel they are terribly undervalued and thats probably the reason why it's taken for granted. Granted? maybe not...but apart from New York (which is simply one the best scents ever created), how many have we sampled from this line? i sometimes think it' coz of the un-appealing presentation that not many are inclined to sample this line and experience the genius that she is (i obviously am not representing entire basenotes, just an observation based on threads posted in the last so many months and the sotd threads)

    Many would be suprised to find that PDN has really fantastic offerings, especially for warmer weathers. her scents are radiant, effervescent and full of blooming energy. With their 30 ml offerings, it's become all the more affordable to get hold of one. some of PDN's refreshing offerings like Eau d’ete could be ours for $65 for a 100ml @ luckyscent.

    Please do keep PDN within your sampling range. it's one of those rare fragrance house which rarely (or rather never) dissappoints. i thought New York was her best...but then i got hold of Maharanih..and jeez, it just blew me away.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Patricia de Nicolai

    I hear you, Jenson.
    I look at my little collection of PdN's and realize that I have something for every mood and weather, so in any given week I usually wear a scent of hers at least once. I've expressed my admiration for her work before, in particular for her creations in the eau de cologne genre. I've just started to investigate the Magnifiques in the "Intense" concentration. So far, Vanille Intense intrigues me and that is saying something, because I generally steer around and away from vanilla. The Cedrat Intense was a surprisingly mellower take on the cedrat note which is expressed with almost brutal precision in the Cologne Cedrat.

    I think this house's offerings in the 30ml range are the smartest thing I've seen in years of perfume buying. Kind of like a really business-savvy drug dealer - little tastes, to get you hooked until you crave/need the big bottles. At least that's how I got reeled into collecting these scents.
    Last edited by Jardanel; 13th May 2009 at 08:05 PM.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Patricia de Nicolai

    Personally from those I've sampled from the PDN line, I think they're OK scents, and that's about it. Besides New York, I've sampled Balle de Match, Maharadjah and one more whose name seems to escape me at the moment.

    Balle de Match was an OK citrus, Maharadjah showed promise but pretty much fell flat after mere minutes into application. It enters it's Cinnamon phase too early IMO [which is about 3-5 minutes after application] and after that it's only dusty cinnamon I can smell, and unfortunately not a great one at that. I can safely say I'm unable to "get" New York. It just fails to register anything beyond average with me, I even bought a bottle and wore it once, but sold it off later.... good for those who get it, but for me it remains an average offering.


    PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather




  4. #4
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, Manuel Antonio & Búzios
    Posts
    127,258

    Default Re: Patricia de Nicolai

    I have in my collection, Balle de Match, Baladin, New York, Vetyver, Nicolai Pour Homme and Carre d'As
    and I love them all.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Patricia de Nicolai

    I completely agree with you jenson - the bottle sizes and pricing are great. Unfortunately, I think many are disappointed with the softness and average longevity of most of the compositions (especially the EDPs). If it wasn't for this, I would have purchased at least half a dozen of her creations.

    Sacrebleu, Balle de Match (which I may get one day) and Vanille-Tonka are among my favourites. And, no, the few intense versions available fail to rectify the problem I have with this house.

  6. #6

    Thumbs up Re: Patricia de Nicolai

    The only one I have is New York. I love it!!!!

  7. #7
    moreda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    802

    Default Re: Patricia de Nicolai

    maharnih.... hhhhmmmmmm.
    i was expecting something like Shalimar expotion of oranes and vanilla.

    Nothing happend
    just a orange juice syrup mix on my skin.
    Maharadjah is GREAT on my skin.
    i like the simmilarety to serge noire.
    Last edited by moreda; 13th May 2009 at 08:36 PM.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Patricia de Nicolai

    Quote Originally Posted by Jardanel View Post
    I think this house's offerings in the 30ml range are the smartest thing I've seen in years of perfume buying. Kind of like a really business-savvy drug dealer - little tastes, to get you hooked until you crave/need the big bottles. At least that's how I got reeled into collecting these scents.
    you said it!

    Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post
    I can safely say I'm unable to "get" New York. It just fails to register anything beyond average with me, I even bought a bottle and wore it once, but sold it off later.... good for those who get it, but for me it remains an average offering.
    to each his own, right bro i can very safely say, since you don'y like New York all that great..you may not appreciate scents like Patou Ph or Creed BdP

    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I have in my collection, Balle de Match, Baladin, New York, Vetyver, Nicolai Pour Homme and Carre d'As
    and I love them all.
    Thts quite a collection! wow...

    Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Sacrebleu, Balle de Match (which I may get one day) and Vanille-Tonka are among my favourites. And, no, the few intense versions available fail to rectify the problem I have with this house.
    longenity issues huh...both New York and Maharanih lingers on me pretty strong...im yet to try the ones you mention...im particularly curious about Vanille Tonka...vanille+tonka+Incense!! Yummmmm

    Quote Originally Posted by Zerby View Post
    The only one I have is New York. I love it!!!!
    A*men!!!!

  9. #9

    Default Re: Patricia de Nicolai

    Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    longenity issues huh...both New York and Maharanih lingers on me pretty strong...im yet to try the ones you mention...im particularly curious about Vanille Tonka...vanille+tonka+Incense!! Yummmmm
    You're right - Maharanih does last a long time on the skin. I really wanted to love this one but the unpleasantly sharp orange peel/zest accord got a little too much for me. One of the few scents I've tried that harassed me...
    Last edited by Trebor; 13th May 2009 at 09:38 PM.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Patricia de Nicolai

    I love New York and would love to sample others in the line...if there were some place I could go to sample them!
    I know I can order samples from Luckyscent, but I'm done paying for samples. I would think that in New York of all places Patricia De Nicolai would be represented in some way, but no. (please, someone correct me if I'm wrong!)
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

  11. #11

    Default Re: Patricia de Nicolai

    Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    You're right - Maharanih does last a long time on the skin. I really wanted to love this one but the unpleasantly sharp orange peel/zest accord got a little too much for me. One of the few scents I've tried that harassed me...

    hmm,..on me, the lemony fresh orange accord mellows down in half hour or so to a very comfortable lavender halo on a base of musky amber and woods....

  12. #12

    Default Re: Patricia de Nicolai

    I own and love:
    New York - what can I say that hasn't already been said?
    Odalisque - jasmine and iris over oakmoss, a great male floral.
    Maharanih - smells like orange steam to me and last quite well.
    Maharajah - lavender and cinnamon, the candle is even better than the EdT.
    The fragrances are priced quite moderately in Paris, I always visit the shop on the Rue de Richelieu.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 13th May 2009 at 10:48 PM.

  13. #13

    narcus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Königl. Preussen
    Posts
    4,586

    Default Re: Patricia de Nicolai

    Parfums de Patricia de Nicolaï are hard to get where I live. That accounts for some of it. I have New York from a Basenoter whose taste I respect very much. But he obviously was not as thrilled as I am in month three after that transaction. I only wonder why this gorgeous perfume should have an American Association? It's one of my 'Frenchiest', and while it reminds me a little of Héritage, it has an aura that is much older to me. I think of Palais Garnier and the former Gare d'Orsay in Paris and some middle aged Gentlemen painted by Caillebotte. While it's advisable with some perfumes not to smell them off the skin, this one is pure delight directly from the wrist - one of the few that truly deserves five stars!

    Do PDN have anything else in that class?
    Last edited by narcus; 14th May 2009 at 10:13 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

  14. #14
    Brielle87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    2,929

    Default Re: Patricia de Nicolai

    I own Sacrebleu and it truly is a masterpiece.
    Last edited by Brielle87; 14th May 2009 at 01:06 AM.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

  15. #15

    Default Re: Patricia de Nicolai

    Quote Originally Posted by arlecchino View Post
    I love New York and would love to sample others in the line...if there were some place I could go to sample them!
    I know I can order samples from Luckyscent, but I'm done paying for samples. I would think that in New York of all places Patricia De Nicolai would be represented in some way, but no. (please, someone correct me if I'm wrong!)
    There's a large drugs and cosmetics store very near the Met Museum that carries a bunch of PdN stuff. Sorry I can't tell you more than that. It's like two or three streets over and three or four blocks down. Wish I knew NYC better.
    I love any number of PdN scents. New York and Odalisque are particularly beautiful. I'm very interested in this house.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Patricia de Nicolai

    I see that Odalisque has quite a following, and among both genders. Would someone please describe what it is about about this PdN floral that makes it so unique and appealing? Of the florals in this house's line, I own and love Number One, Eclipse and Le Temps d'Une Fete.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Patricia de Nicolai

    Fig Tea in the Eaux Fraiches series has me intrigued.

    Top notes : dried fig enhanced by the rare China osmanthus and India davana oils.
    Heart : Tea around the maté absolute, coriander oil and jasmine notes.
    Bottom notes : Gaïac wood with an amber note.

    Has anyone tried this one?
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

  18. #18

    Default Re: Patricia de Nicolai

    This is one of a couple of houses I intend to re-investigate in the near future. However, there are a few things that won't make it an easy process:

    1) As mentioned already, there are not many stores that carry this line.

    2) Commercial samples are very thin on the ground - after visiting the Patricia de Nicolai stores in London and Paris (as well as e-mailing them) I only had one measly sample to show for my efforts...

    3) The Patricia de Nicolai stores are quite small - so small that the SAs (no matter how nice and patient they are) end up breathing down your neck for the best part of your visit. It's nice having that personal touch but, often, it's also nice to have some breathing space (pun intended).

    Btw, all recommendations are much appreciated.
    Last edited by Trebor; 13th May 2009 at 11:50 PM.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Patricia de Nicolai

    Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    There's a large drugs and cosmetics store very near the Met Museum that carries a bunch of PdN stuff.
    Are you thinking of C.O. Bigelow? It's about a block away from Aedes de Venustas.
    - E.J.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Patricia de Nicolai

    Quote Originally Posted by TromboneGuy View Post
    Are you thinking of C.O. Bigelow? It's about a block away from Aedes de Venustas.
    No, way north of there. It's near the Met Museum. I'll do some casting around on Google and see if I can find the storefront.

    Okay, I've just spent ten minutes or so trying to see storefronts on the Google maps street-level photos thingy with no luck. All of the City seems to have been under construction or to have had an immense van parked in front of it the day those photos were taken. But don't New Yorkers, real ones with the grit of the city coursing in their veins, know this stuff? Somebody will know this place: sort of traditional but slightly upscale drugstore/perfume/cosmetics place, two storefronts wide, nice perfume counter, just east and south of the Met Museum.
    Thanks for anyone who can help with this. And apologies to Jenson for sidetracking this thread.
    To return nearer the nub, though, distribution is a problem for this fine house. Maybe it's a marketing strategy but it seems more like failure to empathize with Basenoters' needs. A venial sin but an irritating one.
    Last edited by Strollyourlobster; 14th May 2009 at 01:20 AM.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Patricia de Nicolai

    Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    No, way north of there. It's near the Met Museum. I'll do some casting around on Google and see if I can find the storefront.

    Okay, I've just spent ten minutes or so trying to see storefronts on the Google maps street-level photos thingy with no luck. All of the City seems to have been under construction or to have had an immense van parked in front of it the day those photos were taken. But don't New Yorkers, real ones with the grit of the city coursing in their veins, know this stuff? Somebody will know this place: sort of traditional but slightly upscale drugstore/perfume/cosmetics place, two storefronts wide, nice perfume counter, just east and south of the Met Museum.
    Thanks for anyone who can help with this. And apologies to Jenson for sidetracking this thread.
    To return nearer the nub, though, distribution is a problem for this fine house. Maybe it's a marketing strategy but it seems more like failure to empathize with Basenoters' needs. A venial sin but an irritating one.
    I believe you mean Cambridge Chemists. They moved to Lexington Avenue and I don't think that they carry Nicolai anymore.
    New London Pharmacy in Chelsea does. They have testers out.
    246 Eighth Avenue New York, NY 10011 212.243.4987 800.941.0490 www.newlondonpharmacy.com/
    I can't understand why Aedes, Henri Bendel, Takashimaya or Barneys don't carry the line.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 14th May 2009 at 02:17 AM.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Patricia de Nicolai

    Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    There's a large drugs and cosmetics store very near the Met Museum that carries a bunch of PdN stuff. Sorry I can't tell you more than that. It's like two or three streets over and three or four blocks down. Wish I knew NYC better.
    I love any number of PdN scents. New York and Odalisque are particularly beautiful. I'm very interested in this house.
    The drugstore is called Clyde's and it is around 74th and Madison. They also carry some other interesting brands including Diptyque.

  23. #23

    Default Re: Patricia de Nicolai

    jenson, thanks for heads up!
    I`m reaching PdN Vetyver, Pour Homme, Vie de Chateau, Baladin, New-York whenever I feel like I need fresh french touch
    It was one of my first web-shop buyings - and they ship to Russia!!!
    So I`m keep an eye on PdN web-shop and recommendations.
    Odalisque - could somebody write a bit more?
    I like "iris on oakmoss" description - how Odalisque is compared with other brilliant Iris Bleu Gris by MPG?

    I could also bring your attention on her great home fragrances and catalytic burners. I use Lavender and Vetiver du Java and like both a lot.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

  24. #24

    Default Re: Patricia de Nicolai

    Great to see so many admirers of this line! Odalisque, sacrebleu amongst others goes straight into my sampling list...

    Moon fish, thank you very much for drawing our attention to here frgrances line, seems pretyt interesting
    Last edited by jenson; 14th May 2009 at 10:09 AM.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Patricia de Nicolai

    Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    i dont wanna say scents by Patricia de Nicolai are often underrated and insult this fine perfumer; who is passionate about the scent as a whole, the ingredients that go into it and ofcourse the pricing (which imho is as fair as it gets). i feel they are terribly undervalued and thats probably the reason why it's taken for granted. Granted? maybe not...but apart from New York (which is simply one the best scents ever created), how many have we sampled from this line? i sometimes think it' coz of the un-appealing presentation that not many are inclined to sample this line and experience the genius that she is (i obviously am not representing entire basenotes, just an observation based on threads posted in the last so many months and the sotd threads)

    Many would be suprised to find that PDN has really fantastic offerings, especially for warmer weathers. her scents are radiant, effervescent and full of blooming energy. With their 30 ml offerings, it's become all the more affordable to get hold of one. some of PDN's refreshing offerings like Eau d’ete could be ours for $65 for a 100ml @ luckyscent.

    Please do keep PDN within your sampling range. it's one of those rare fragrance house which rarely (or rather never) dissappoints. i thought New York was her best...but then i got hold of Maharanih..and jeez, it just blew me away.
    I think we have just discovered Jenson's real identity.... Patricia de Nicolai.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

  26. #26

    Default Re: Patricia de Nicolai

    I'm glad to see this much love
    Sorry, I wasn't impressed at all: New York is too powdery and sweet, I don't like amber scents. Cologne Sologne was nice for those short, very few minutes I could smell it. Balle de Match is an example for me of the really-nothing-special-not-bad-but-why-this-one scent, with worse than average longevity.

  27. #27

    Default Re: Patricia de Nicolai

    Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    i think we have just discovered jenson's real identity.... Patricia de nicolai.
    lmao :d

  28. #28

    Default Re: Patricia de Nicolai

    Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish View Post
    Odalisque - could somebody write a bit more?
    I like "iris on oakmoss" description - how Odalisque is compared with other brilliant Iris Bleu Gris by MPG?
    Turin gave it *****
    "Superbly judged floral accord of jasmine and iris, both abstract and very stable, allied to a saline note of oakmoss, initially feels delicate, but in use is both sturdy and radiant. It is as if the perfumer had skillfully shaved off material from a classic chypre accord until a marmoreal light shone through it. Great on a man."
    The Guide

  29. #29
    kess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,359

    Default Re: Patricia de Nicolai

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Turin gave it *****
    "Superbly judged floral accord of jasmine and iris, both abstract and very stable, allied to a saline note of oakmoss, initially feels delicate, but in use is both sturdy and radiant. It is as if the perfumer had skillfully shaved off material from a classic chypre accord until a marmoreal light shone through it. Great on a man."
    The Guide
    I found it to be quite feminine -- mostly green floral (very very nice though). Need to revisit my sample.

  30. #30
    Basenotes Plus
    RHM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO
    Posts
    3,974
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Patricia de Nicolai

    Quote Originally Posted by arlecchino View Post
    I love New York and would love to sample others in the line...if there were some place I could go to sample them!
    I know I can order samples from Luckyscent, but I'm done paying for samples. I would think that in New York of all places Patricia De Nicolai would be represented in some way, but no. (please, someone correct me if I'm wrong!)
    New London Pharmacy carries the line, as somone (I see) already wrote. The link, however, seems to be broken. You can still call them though.
    Last edited by RHM; 14th May 2009 at 05:26 PM.
    Currently wearing: Jasmin T by Bruno Acampora

Similar Threads

  1. Parfums de Nicolai - Cedrat
    By Jemimagold in forum No longer missing fragrances
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10th August 2008, 09:24 PM
  2. Parfums de Nicolai "Vie de Chateau" is misspelled
    By Jemimagold in forum No longer missing fragrances
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 1st July 2008, 09:22 PM
  3. Patricia de Nicolaï
    By The_love in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10th July 2005, 01:16 PM
  4. Patricia de Nicolaï fragrances
    By madgradrx in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 8th July 2005, 03:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000