Code of Conduct

Default Patricia de Nicolai

i dont wanna say scents by Patricia de Nicolai are often underrated and insult this fine perfumer; who is passionate about the scent as a whole, the ingredients that go into it and ofcourse the pricing (which imho is as fair as it gets). i feel they are terribly undervalued and thats probably the reason why it's taken for granted. Granted? maybe not...but apart from New York (which is simply one the best scents ever created), how many have we sampled from this line? i sometimes think it' coz of the un-appealing presentation that not many are inclined to sample this line and experience the genius that she is (i obviously am not representing entire basenotes, just an observation based on threads posted in the last so many months and the sotd threads)

Many would be suprised to find that PDN has really fantastic offerings, especially for warmer weathers. her scents are radiant, effervescent and full of blooming energy. With their 30 ml offerings, it's become all the more affordable to get hold of one. some of PDN's refreshing offerings like Eau d’ete could be ours for $65 for a 100ml @ luckyscent.

Please do keep PDN within your sampling range. it's one of those rare fragrance house which rarely (or rather never) dissappoints. i thought New York was her best...but then i got hold of Maharanih..and jeez, it just blew me away.

Default Re: Patricia de Nicolai

I hear you, Jenson.
    I look at my little collection of PdN's and realize that I have something for every mood and weather, so in any given week I usually wear a scent of hers at least once. I've expressed my admiration for her work before, in particular for her creations in the eau de cologne genre. I've just started to investigate the Magnifiques in the "Intense" concentration. So far, Vanille Intense intrigues me and that is saying something, because I generally steer around and away from vanilla. The Cedrat Intense was a surprisingly mellower take on the cedrat note which is expressed with almost brutal precision in the Cologne Cedrat.

I think this house's offerings in the 30ml range are the smartest thing I've seen in years of perfume buying. Kind of like a really business-savvy drug dealer - little tastes, to get you hooked until you crave/need the big bottles. At least that's how I got reeled into collecting these scents.
    Last edited by Jardanel; 13th May 2009 at 09:05 PM.

Personally from those I've sampled from the PDN line, I think they're OK scents, and that's about it. Besides New York, I've sampled Balle de Match, Maharadjah and one more whose name seems to escape me at the moment.

Balle de Match was an OK citrus, Maharadjah showed promise but pretty much fell flat after mere minutes into application. It enters it's Cinnamon phase too early IMO [which is about 3-5 minutes after application] and after that it's only dusty cinnamon I can smell, and unfortunately not a great one at that. I can safely say I'm unable to "get" New York. It just fails to register anything beyond average with me, I even bought a bottle and wore it once, but sold it off later.... good for those who get it, but for me it remains an average offering.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I have in my collection, Balle de Match, Baladin, New York, Vetyver, Nicolai Pour Homme and Carre d'As
    and I love them all.

I completely agree with you jenson - the bottle sizes and pricing are great. Unfortunately, I think many are disappointed with the softness and average longevity of most of the compositions (especially the EDPs). If it wasn't for this, I would have purchased at least half a dozen of her creations.

Sacrebleu, Balle de Match (which I may get one day) and Vanille-Tonka are among my favourites. And, no, the few intense versions available fail to rectify the problem I have with this house.

Thumbs up Re: Patricia de Nicolai

The only one I have is New York. I love it!!!!

maharnih.... hhhhmmmmmm.
    i was expecting something like Shalimar expotion of oranes and vanilla.

Nothing happend
    just a orange juice syrup mix on my skin.
    Maharadjah is GREAT on my skin.
    i like the simmilarety to serge noire.
    Last edited by moreda; 13th May 2009 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jardanel View Post
    I think this house's offerings in the 30ml range are the smartest thing I've seen in years of perfume buying. Kind of like a really business-savvy drug dealer - little tastes, to get you hooked until you crave/need the big bottles. At least that's how I got reeled into collecting these scents.
    you said it!

Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post
    I can safely say I'm unable to "get" New York. It just fails to register anything beyond average with me, I even bought a bottle and wore it once, but sold it off later.... good for those who get it, but for me it remains an average offering.
    to each his own, right bro i can very safely say, since you don'y like New York all that great..you may not appreciate scents like Patou Ph or Creed BdP

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I have in my collection, Balle de Match, Baladin, New York, Vetyver, Nicolai Pour Homme and Carre d'As
    and I love them all.
    Thts quite a collection! wow...

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Sacrebleu, Balle de Match (which I may get one day) and Vanille-Tonka are among my favourites. And, no, the few intense versions available fail to rectify the problem I have with this house.
    longenity issues huh...both New York and Maharanih lingers on me pretty strong...im yet to try the ones you mention...im particularly curious about Vanille Tonka...vanille+tonka+Incense!! Yummmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Zerby View Post
    The only one I have is New York. I love it!!!!
    A*men!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    longenity issues huh...both New York and Maharanih lingers on me pretty strong...im yet to try the ones you mention...im particularly curious about Vanille Tonka...vanille+tonka+Incense!! Yummmmm
    You're right - Maharanih does last a long time on the skin. I really wanted to love this one but the unpleasantly sharp orange peel/zest accord got a little too much for me. One of the few scents I've tried that harassed me...
    Last edited by Trebor; 13th May 2009 at 10:38 PM.

I love New York and would love to sample others in the line...if there were some place I could go to sample them!
    I know I can order samples from Luckyscent, but I'm done paying for samples. I would think that in New York of all places Patricia De Nicolai would be represented in some way, but no. (please, someone correct me if I'm wrong!)
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    You're right - Maharanih does last a long time on the skin. I really wanted to love this one but the unpleasantly sharp orange peel/zest accord got a little too much for me. One of the few scents I've tried that harassed me...

hmm,..on me, the lemony fresh orange accord mellows down in half hour or so to a very comfortable lavender halo on a base of musky amber and woods....

I own and love:
    New York - what can I say that hasn't already been said?
    Odalisque - jasmine and iris over oakmoss, a great male floral.
    Maharanih - smells like orange steam to me and last quite well.
    Maharajah - lavender and cinnamon, the candle is even better than the EdT.
    The fragrances are priced quite moderately in Paris, I always visit the shop on the Rue de Richelieu.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 13th May 2009 at 11:48 PM.

Parfums de Patricia de Nicolaï are hard to get where I live. That accounts for some of it. I have New York from a Basenoter whose taste I respect very much. But he obviously was not as thrilled as I am in month three after that transaction. I only wonder why this gorgeous perfume should have an American Association? It's one of my 'Frenchiest', and while it reminds me a little of Héritage, it has an aura that is much older to me. I think of Palais Garnier and the former Gare d'Orsay in Paris and some middle aged Gentlemen painted by Caillebotte. While it's advisable with some perfumes not to smell them off the skin, this one is pure delight directly from the wrist - one of the few that truly deserves five stars!

Do PDN have anything else in that class?
    Last edited by narcus; 14th May 2009 at 11:13 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I own Sacrebleu and it truly is a masterpiece.
    Last edited by Brielle87; 14th May 2009 at 02:06 AM.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Quote Originally Posted by arlecchino View Post
    I love New York and would love to sample others in the line...if there were some place I could go to sample them!
    I know I can order samples from Luckyscent, but I'm done paying for samples. I would think that in New York of all places Patricia De Nicolai would be represented in some way, but no. (please, someone correct me if I'm wrong!)
    There's a large drugs and cosmetics store very near the Met Museum that carries a bunch of PdN stuff. Sorry I can't tell you more than that. It's like two or three streets over and three or four blocks down. Wish I knew NYC better.
    I love any number of PdN scents. New York and Odalisque are particularly beautiful. I'm very interested in this house.

I see that Odalisque has quite a following, and among both genders. Would someone please describe what it is about about this PdN floral that makes it so unique and appealing? Of the florals in this house's line, I own and love Number One, Eclipse and Le Temps d'Une Fete.

Fig Tea in the Eaux Fraiches series has me intrigued.

Top notes : dried fig enhanced by the rare China osmanthus and India davana oils.
    Heart : Tea around the maté absolute, coriander oil and jasmine notes.
    Bottom notes : Gaïac wood with an amber note.

Has anyone tried this one?
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

This is one of a couple of houses I intend to re-investigate in the near future. However, there are a few things that won't make it an easy process:

1) As mentioned already, there are not many stores that carry this line.

2) Commercial samples are very thin on the ground - after visiting the Patricia de Nicolai stores in London and Paris (as well as e-mailing them) I only had one measly sample to show for my efforts...

3) The Patricia de Nicolai stores are quite small - so small that the SAs (no matter how nice and patient they are) end up breathing down your neck for the best part of your visit. It's nice having that personal touch but, often, it's also nice to have some breathing space (pun intended).

Btw, all recommendations are much appreciated.
    Last edited by Trebor; 14th May 2009 at 12:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    There's a large drugs and cosmetics store very near the Met Museum that carries a bunch of PdN stuff.
    Are you thinking of C.O. Bigelow? It's about a block away from Aedes de Venustas.
    - E.J.

Quote Originally Posted by TromboneGuy View Post
    Are you thinking of C.O. Bigelow? It's about a block away from Aedes de Venustas.
    No, way north of there. It's near the Met Museum. I'll do some casting around on Google and see if I can find the storefront.

Okay, I've just spent ten minutes or so trying to see storefronts on the Google maps street-level photos thingy with no luck. All of the City seems to have been under construction or to have had an immense van parked in front of it the day those photos were taken. But don't New Yorkers, real ones with the grit of the city coursing in their veins, know this stuff? Somebody will know this place: sort of traditional but slightly upscale drugstore/perfume/cosmetics place, two storefronts wide, nice perfume counter, just east and south of the Met Museum.
    Thanks for anyone who can help with this. And apologies to Jenson for sidetracking this thread.
    To return nearer the nub, though, distribution is a problem for this fine house. Maybe it's a marketing strategy but it seems more like failure to empathize with Basenoters' needs. A venial sin but an irritating one.
    Last edited by Strollyourlobster; 14th May 2009 at 02:20 AM.

No, way north of there. It's near the Met Museum. I'll do some casting around on Google and see if I can find the storefront.

Okay, I've just spent ten minutes or so trying to see storefronts on the Google maps street-level photos thingy with no luck. All of the City seems to have been under construction or to have had an immense van parked in front of it the day those photos were taken. But don't New Yorkers, real ones with the grit of the city coursing in their veins, know this stuff? Somebody will know this place: sort of traditional but slightly upscale drugstore/perfume/cosmetics place, two storefronts wide, nice perfume counter, just east and south of the Met Museum.
    Thanks for anyone who can help with this. And apologies to Jenson for sidetracking this thread.
    To return nearer the nub, though, distribution is a problem for this fine house. Maybe it's a marketing strategy but it seems more like failure to empathize with Basenoters' needs. A venial sin but an irritating one.
    I believe you mean Cambridge Chemists. They moved to Lexington Avenue and I don't think that they carry Nicolai anymore.
    New London Pharmacy in Chelsea does. They have testers out.
    246 Eighth Avenue New York, NY 10011 212.243.4987 800.941.0490 www.newlondonpharmacy.com/
    I can't understand why Aedes, Henri Bendel, Takashimaya or Barneys don't carry the line.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 14th May 2009 at 03:17 AM.

There's a large drugs and cosmetics store very near the Met Museum that carries a bunch of PdN stuff. Sorry I can't tell you more than that. It's like two or three streets over and three or four blocks down. Wish I knew NYC better.
    I love any number of PdN scents. New York and Odalisque are particularly beautiful. I'm very interested in this house.
    The drugstore is called Clyde's and it is around 74th and Madison. They also carry some other interesting brands including Diptyque.

jenson, thanks for heads up!
    I`m reaching PdN Vetyver, Pour Homme, Vie de Chateau, Baladin, New-York whenever I feel like I need fresh french touch
    It was one of my first web-shop buyings - and they ship to Russia!!!
    So I`m keep an eye on PdN web-shop and recommendations.
    Odalisque - could somebody write a bit more?
    I like "iris on oakmoss" description - how Odalisque is compared with other brilliant Iris Bleu Gris by MPG?

I could also bring your attention on her great home fragrances and catalytic burners. I use Lavender and Vetiver du Java and like both a lot.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Great to see so many admirers of this line! Odalisque, sacrebleu amongst others goes straight into my sampling list...

Moon fish, thank you very much for drawing our attention to here frgrances line, seems pretyt interesting
    Last edited by jenson; 14th May 2009 at 11:09 AM.

i dont wanna say scents by Patricia de Nicolai are often underrated and insult this fine perfumer; who is passionate about the scent as a whole, the ingredients that go into it and ofcourse the pricing (which imho is as fair as it gets). i feel they are terribly undervalued and thats probably the reason why it's taken for granted. Granted? maybe not...but apart from New York (which is simply one the best scents ever created), how many have we sampled from this line? i sometimes think it' coz of the un-appealing presentation that not many are inclined to sample this line and experience the genius that she is (i obviously am not representing entire basenotes, just an observation based on threads posted in the last so many months and the sotd threads)

Many would be suprised to find that PDN has really fantastic offerings, especially for warmer weathers. her scents are radiant, effervescent and full of blooming energy. With their 30 ml offerings, it's become all the more affordable to get hold of one. some of PDN's refreshing offerings like Eau d’ete could be ours for $65 for a 100ml @ luckyscent.

Please do keep PDN within your sampling range. it's one of those rare fragrance house which rarely (or rather never) dissappoints. i thought New York was her best...but then i got hold of Maharanih..and jeez, it just blew me away.
    I think we have just discovered Jenson's real identity.... Patricia de Nicolai.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

I'm glad to see this much love
    Sorry, I wasn't impressed at all: New York is too powdery and sweet, I don't like amber scents. Cologne Sologne was nice for those short, very few minutes I could smell it. Balle de Match is an example for me of the really-nothing-special-not-bad-but-why-this-one scent, with worse than average longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    i think we have just discovered jenson's real identity.... Patricia de nicolai.
    lmao :d

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish View Post
    Odalisque - could somebody write a bit more?
    I like "iris on oakmoss" description - how Odalisque is compared with other brilliant Iris Bleu Gris by MPG?
    Turin gave it *****
    "Superbly judged floral accord of jasmine and iris, both abstract and very stable, allied to a saline note of oakmoss, initially feels delicate, but in use is both sturdy and radiant. It is as if the perfumer had skillfully shaved off material from a classic chypre accord until a marmoreal light shone through it. Great on a man."
    The Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Turin gave it *****
    "Superbly judged floral accord of jasmine and iris, both abstract and very stable, allied to a saline note of oakmoss, initially feels delicate, but in use is both sturdy and radiant. It is as if the perfumer had skillfully shaved off material from a classic chypre accord until a marmoreal light shone through it. Great on a man."
    The Guide
    I found it to be quite feminine -- mostly green floral (very very nice though). Need to revisit my sample.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by arlecchino View Post
    New London Pharmacy carries the line, as somone (I see) already wrote. The link, however, seems to be broken. You can still call them though.
    Last edited by RHM; 14th May 2009 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kess View Post
    I found it to be quite feminine -- mostly green floral (very very nice though). Need to revisit my sample.
    Sorry, he said, 'great a man as well.'

double post
    Last edited by kess; 14th May 2009 at 06:32 PM.

Sorry, he said, 'great a man as well.'
    Sorry, did not mean to offend, just stating my impression, i.e. don't expect monster sillage and knock-your-socks-off woods

I am a admirer of most things Patricia de Nicolaï, who is about as artisan as you can get in modern day perfumery.

I think her eaux de Cologne fragrances deserve a wider following. They are beautifully put together with clearly top quality naturals playing a large part, and they are reasonably priced. Beautyhabit carries them PdN eaux de Cologne. They used to be available in large sizes up to 500ml at what was, given the quality, extraordinary value for money. I am not sure whether they are offered in such sizes anymore.

scentemental

Quote Originally Posted by kess View Post
    Sorry, did not mean to offend, just stating my impression, i.e. don't expect monster sillage and knock-your-socks-off woods
    It was entirely my fault, I left off the last part of his quote and caused confusion.

Yes, this house deserves more attention than it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    Yes, this house deserves more attention than it gets.
    All PdN needs is to join forces with Guerlains' marketing machine ..a collection-within-a-collection, and they can play on the guerlain genes angle..
    Last edited by zztopp; 14th May 2009 at 06:59 PM.
    -

Strollyourlobster, Ruggles, et al...Thanks a lot for the help locating PdN, I'm glad I was wrong! I'll check out Clyde's and New London.
    (Incidentally StrollYL, when you first mentioned over and down from the Met, I was thinking maybe Eisler Chemists on 79th and Lex, who carries Floris but not PdN)
    Thanks again.
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post

I am a admirer of most things Patricia de Nicolaï, who is about as artisan as you can get in modern day perfumery.

I think her eaux de Cologne fragrances deserve a wider following. They are beautifully put together with clearly top quality naturals playing a large part, and they are reasonably priced. Beautyhabit carries them PdN eaux de Cologne. They used to be available in large sizes up to 500ml at what was, given the quality, extraordinary value for money. I am not sure whether they are offered in such sizes anymore.

scentemental
    According to the PdN website the Colognes are available in sizes up to 1L.

http://www.pnicolai.com/ve/pages/cologne.htm

I do think that Odalisque may well seem too feminine to many men. To me it's just peaceful and pretty. Depends, I suppose, on your associations with flowers.
    I think Turin's review is spot-on, although I do find muguet in this brew which he apparently doesn't, and find it to be beautifully blended to soften and lift the jasmine. What he says about the salty oakmoss note is right, and really it was the moment that I noticed this note and simultaneously found the iris that I fell in love with this stuff. The comparison to the green iris in Iris Bleu Gris is apt, I think, although it's buzzing at very low volume below the soft jasmine/mugeut/salty-mossy accord. The character of the overall scent could hardly be different than Iris Bleu Gris--I'm just speaking of this one note. My sense is that if you love Sel de Vetiver, you might love this. I blowing through my bottle at a great rate.

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    According to the PdN website the Colognes are available in sizes up to 1L.

http://www.pnicolai.com/ve/pages/cologne.htm
    Thanks for that. I noticed, though, that when one tries to order them one gets a "There are currently no products in this range" message. I tried ordering some of their other products, but the order pages are very very confusing. It's remarkable how poorly designed are poorly maintained some of these websites are. It's very clear Patricia de Nicolaï is a better perfumer than she is a business manager. PdN products are poorly marketed and poorly presented if you ask me. There needs to be some serious work done in this regard. I mean what's the problem? They have already have a great and true story: granddaughter and artisan perfumer of the legendary Jacques Guerlain. Surely they can do something with that.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 14th May 2009 at 09:13 PM.

Thanks for that. I noticed, though, that when one tries to order them one gets a "There are currently no products in this range" message. I tried ordering some of their other products, but the order pages are very very confusing. It's remarkable how poorly designed are poorly maintained some of these websites are. It's very clear Patricia de Nicolaï is a better perfumer than she is a business manager. PdN products are poorly marketed and poorly presented if you ask me. There needs to be some serious work done in this regard. I mean what's the problem? They have already have a great and true story: granddaughter and artisan perfumer of the legendary Jacques Guerlain. Surely they can do something with that.

scentemental
    exactly! i mean, she knows how Guerlain operates more than anybody else...? maybe it has to do with pride? Maybe PDN wants to acheive all that without the fancy marketing etal...which is sad coz many outside this community may not be aware of her works. it's very clear that she is very anti marketing and is pro word of the mouth ads. maybe thts the way she wants to operate...at the same time, the box of Maharanih gives a short write up on how she is related to Guerlain et al.....all very confusing...i give up with my theories...

exactly! i mean, she knows how Guerlain operates more than anybody else...? maybe it has to do with pride? Maybe PDN wants to acheive all that without the fancy marketing etal...which is sad coz many outside this community may not be aware of her works. it's very clear that she is very anti marketing and is pro word of the mouth ads. maybe thts the way she wants to operate...at the same time, the box of Maharanih gives a short write up on how she is related to Guerlain et al.....all very confusing...i give up with my theories...

You know jenson, she could still market herself in an anti-big business manner and play up the artisanal nature of her products and production while doing so and still do it in a sophisticated and savvy way, but I don't see that happening.

It's a real pity because if anyone one is truly niche, PdN is.

scentemental

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    Parfums de Patricia de Nicolaï are hard to get where I live. That accounts for some of it. I have New York from a Basenoter whose taste I respect very much. But he obviously was not as thrilled as I am in month three after that transaction. I only wonder why this gorgeous perfume should have an American Association? It's one of my 'Frenchiest', and while it reminds me a little of Héritage, it has an aura that is much older to me. I think of Palais Garnier and the former Gare d'Orsay in Paris and some middle aged Gentlemen painted by Caillebotte. While it's advisable with some perfumes not to smell them off the skin, this one is pure delight directly from the wrist - one of the few that truly deserves five stars!

Do PDN have anything else in that class?
    Do i know this basnoter ?

You know jenson, she could still market herself in an anti-big business manner and play up the artisanal nature of her products and production while doing so and still do it in a sophisticated and savvy way, but I don't see that happening.

It's a real pity because if anyone one is truly niche, PdN is.

scentemental
    Exactly. thats one of the prime reasons we are having this discussion......i mean, why isnt PDN marketing herself is truly beyond my understanding. like you rightly said, if anyone is truly niche, it's PDN...and it's not related to pricing or the packaging, it's her compositions and quality of ingredients that go into it which makes it, truly niche.

Exactly. thats one of the prime reasons we are having this discussion......i mean, why isnt PDN marketing herself is truly beyond my understanding. like you rightly said, if anyone is truly niche, it's PDN...and it's not related to pricing or the packaging, it's her compositions and quality of ingredients that go into it which makes it, truly niche.
    The shops in Paris are a bit pokey, the packaging is a bit low budget, but I am thrilled that PdN puts all their money into the ingredients. Can you imagine if they took the Caron route, advertising at the expense of quality?
    PdN also has a big home fragrance business and produce their own version of the Lamp Bergere and its fragrance oils.
    I'd love to get one of these.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 14th May 2009 at 10:03 PM.

i am still looking for Mharajah .

Ruggels, i really love maharajah sampel u have sent to me
    thank u !

Basenotes Institution

I must admit I haven't sampled enough from this house, to make even a dent into smelling the whole line.

I personally did not like New York at all, and found both Maharadjah and Maharanih good for a few minutes, but nose grating and ill-fitting over the course of a full wearing. I was so ready to fall in love with these last two, since they are so cinnamon prominent, but I just couldn't get into them.

In a swap, Robin from NowSmellThis sent me a sample of Eau Exotique, which I liked a lot. But it was too small of a sample to really judge whether the scent was FBW or not. It definitely piqued my interest (mango, lime and cassis over a musky cedar drydown).
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 14th May 2009 at 10:26 PM.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

The shops in Paris are a bit pokey, the packaging is a bit low budget, but I am thrilled that PdN puts all their money into the ingredients. . . .
    Absolutely, ingredients first, always, but clearly PdN needs to invest in some simple, elegant packaging that is distinctive enough to match their worthy niche credentials. Surely, that could be done without breaking the bank.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 14th May 2009 at 10:44 PM.

Absolutely, ingredients first, always, but clearly PdN needs to invest in some simple, elegant packaging that is distinctive enough to match their worthy niche credentials. Surely, that could be done without breaking the bank.

scentemental

There's something a bit too science-project about their logo and labeling, but I like the women's bottle with the gold globe and ameythist glass in the cap:
    But the men's however, is too generic:
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 14th May 2009 at 10:54 PM.

if one goes thru the web content of her official web-page, it's pretty evident that she is very anti-marketing and hype surrounding niche. seems she is on a mission and has long terms goals in mind.

i really liked the content on her web-page, it simply echoes what we are talkin about here....a good read for any enthusiast... here it is - http://www.pnicolai.com/ve/pages/historique.htm

Definitely science project, definitely generic.

I don't like the women's bottle, which, incidentally functioned as the men's bottle before the generic men's bottles where introduced. That should tell you something right there. I find such bottles straining for elegance, which they don't achieve, much like the MPG bottles with their absurdly bulbous, gem-studded tops, and look where that company is now.

I would like to see a high tech, minimalist style of bottling and packing that would provide a decided contrast with the artisanal quality of the fragrances and their production. It would give the whole thing a modern, paradoxical edge.

scentemental
    Last edited by scentemental; 14th May 2009 at 11:04 PM.

Definitely science project, definitely generic.

I don't like the women's bottle, which, incidentally functioned as the men's bottle before the generic men's bottles where introduced. That should tell you something right there. I find such bottles straining for elegance, which they don't achieve, much like the MPG bottles with their absurdly bulbous, gem-studded tops, and look where that company is now.

I would like to see a high tech, minimalist style of bottling and packing that would provide a decided contrast with the artisanal quality of the fragrances and their production. It would give the whole thing a modern, paradoxical edge.

scentemental
    Very true. I've always found the bottles pretty ugly, for the reasons already mentioned. However, the 30ml bottles are passable (but only just). And as for those tacky labels...
    Last edited by Trebor; 14th May 2009 at 11:22 PM.