Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Tom Ford Italian Cypress = Halston Z-14

I just tried TF Italian Cypress and was immediately struck that it smells exactly like Halston Z-14. Thought it was possibly only on tester strip that it smelled like Z-14 so I sprayed some on my arm. Still smelled exactly like Z-14. I'm talking copyright infringement copy. And $180 for a $10 fragrance? Clearly, Tommy has run out of ideas and is so inclined to not only copy a classic fragrance but to charge more 1800% more for it. Wish I would thought of it first.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Default Re: Tom Ford Italian Cypress = Halston Z-14

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    . . . . Clearly, Tommy has run out of ideas and is so inclined to not only copy a classic fragrance but to charge more 1800% more for it. Wish I would thought of it first.
    I would have thought that you have to have an original idea to run out of original ideas.

I think his creative management of the Gucci and YSL fragrances during his tenure as creative director (I am not sure of his exact title/position) was far more original and interesting than anything he has put out under his own name.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 14th May 2009 at 05:17 AM.

Hahaha, very interesting! Because when I smell it, I think of Jovan Sport Scent for men. It's eerily close! I definitely know what he was going for.

Moss Breches also seems to smell like Antaeus in the later stages. In the beginning stages it reminds me of a Montale, and it's more aoud-ish than it's brother, Oud Wood.

Tobacco Vanille's closest cousin is probably Burberry London but they're leagues apart.

In full disclosure, I feel as many others do that Tom Ford is a bit of egomaniac and charges far too much for his often mediocre fragrances. However, also in the spirit of full disclosure, I absolutely LOVE Tobacco Vanille, and I very much intend to acquire a full bottle of it when it becomes available in the 100 ML bottle as recently reported. I really think that with TV, Tom Ford knocked the ball out of the park as it is indeed one of the loveliest and most well executed fragrances I have yet to encounter.

I recently sampled Italian Cypress and certainly did not get the WOW factor that would in way remotely cost justify a full bottle. However, I do not think that it is fair to compare a fragrance like Italian Cypress with much higher quality composition and execution with something as horrifically synthetic and as awful as Halston Z-14.

If anyone is interested, just my 2 scents.

Best,

TJ

Sur la Plage

I absolutely get no comparison at all between Italian Cypress and Z-14.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 14th May 2009 at 12:08 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TigerJuice View Post
    ......with something as horrifically synthetic and as awful as Halston Z-14.
    Whaaaaaa'????
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Whaaaaaa'????
    I apologize! I had a rather bad go with Z-14 and I need to knock my rhetoric down because I do realize that many gentleman perhaps rightfully regard Z-14 as a classic. It just did not work for me and I need to be more respectful of other's tastes.

Wouldn't the world be boring if everyone was the same and had the same preferences?

No offense intended,

TJ
    Last edited by TigerJuice; 14th May 2009 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Grammar!

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I absolutely get no comparison at all between Italian Cypress and Z-14.
    Same with me - not even close to my nose.

Basenotes Institution

Weird coincidence: When I sent a sample of Italian Cypress to another Basenoter, they mentioned to me that it smelled like Z-14 to them also.

I never really wore Z-14 a lot (I was more of a 1-12 man). To me, IC smells like Polo.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 14th May 2009 at 02:44 PM.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TigerJuice View Post
    [B]No offense intended,TJ
    None taken, TigerJuice.

Just couldn't let that go! The beauty of BaseNotes is in our tacit agreement to disagree, and be free to express our views (as we would to ourselves)

Halston Z-14 was one of my university-days lady-pullers (or so i thought).

Nice thread.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    Same with me - not even close to my nose.
    Ditto. Interesting to some it's Halston Z-14, to others, it's Polo. Of course, I'm one of those who thinks 212 Sexy Men isn't a carbon copy of Le Male.

I think, in general, TF's Private Blends have been hit or miss. Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, and Oud Wood are ones I really enjoy and have bottles of (TL being the big bottle). That being said, they are overpriced-though I think By Kilian's new Arabian line may be pushing the envelope (I have Cruel Intentions and, don't get me wrong, love the box--but charging close to $400 for a 1.7oz is getting pretty ridiculous.)
    The Bark Bites Back.

Yeah, they don't smell alike to me either.

Got my new Italian Cypress on left forearm...my new Z-14 on right forearm...90% the same IMHO, the Z-14 is just a tad soapier, softer and not as sharp...OK....they're 75% the same!

The TFIC stays the same as the top notes, while the Z-14 comes on the same, but softens very fast.

They're both nice and I think the comparison is competely justified.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Got my new Italian Cypress on left forearm...my new Z-14 on right forearm...90% the same IMHO, the Z-14 is just a tad soapier, softer and not as sharp...OK....they're 75% the same!

The TFIC stays the same as the top notes, while the Z-14 comes on the same, but softens very fast.

They're both nice and I think the comparison is competely justified.
    Hey Chuck, When will the TFIC be up on the block? waiting.......

With me...you just never know!

also not picking up this comparison at all...

might be inclined to agree with the polo comparisons a good while after the opening has faded.
    top ten: L'Air du Desert Marocain, Black Aoud, Le Labo Rose 31, Bois du Portugal, Incense Rose, Millesime Imperial, Czech & Speake no.88, Terre de Hermes, Musc Ravageur, Nasomatto Duro

Best layers: GIT and TdH, GIT and BA

sample wishlist: Roses Musk

Greetings, Gentlemen.

I just purchased the new Halston Man from Neiman's today (enjoying it very much, I might add) and the
    generous sales associate was good enough to provide offerings from Tom Ford's Private Blend Collection.
    Upon trying the Italian Cypress I was immediately reminded of my vintage bottle of Z-14. To my nose, at least, the resemblance was uncanny - the price tag, however, is a horse of different color.

By the way, I have been looking for quite some time for the original Bernini (black bottle) for Men.
    Should anyone decide they'd like to trade or sell their Bernini, I would be most interested.

Cheers,
    Miles
    Last edited by Worth1969; 17th November 2009 at 06:25 AM.

I was almost gonna purchase IC today too...but indeed it does smell alot like Z-14 AND Valentino Vendetta.
    Last edited by EarNoseThroat; 17th November 2009 at 05:50 AM.

Agree, I totally get the similarity with Z-14.

It's the same Cool Water vs. GIT similarity - definitely major overlapping profile and notes, but one is just more luxurious in execution.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

I sprayed on some Italian Cypress at a department store about thirty hours ago. I disliked the top notes, forgot to keep track of the middle notes, but the base is _still_ hanging on, and I really, really like it. Even if I have to wait six hours to get the part I want, I may be getting myself a decant.

FYI, MichaelPicasso, I still have my bottle! Don't wear it much, but it's still in my arsenal.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles Perlich View Post
    Greetings, Gentlemen.

I just purchased the new Halston Man from Neiman's today (enjoying it very much, I might add) and the
    generous sales associate was good enough to provide offerings from Tom Ford's Private Blend Collection.
    Upon trying the Italian Cypress I was immediately reminded of my vintage bottle of Z-14. To my nose, at least, the resemblance was uncanny - the price tag, however, is a horse of different color.

By the way, I have been looking for quite some time for the original Bernini (black bottle) for Men.
    Should anyone decide they'd like to trade or sell their Bernini, I would be most interested.

Cheers,
    Miles
    Splendid use of the Forums search function and agreeing with me...you're off to a great start!

Welcome abroad!
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Wow, just got a sample of Italian Cypress, and was immediately stuck that it smelled almost identical to something from my past. A little searching brought it home...it's Z-14. Now I don't have any Z-14 on hand to do a direct comparison, but going off memory, they are very similar. Z-14 is quite distinct. And just as with Z-14 (and why I don't have it anymore), while I like Italian Cypress, it's not something I could wear very often. Great scent, but just not on me. I also agree that IC shares some similarities with Polo as well. And like both, IC is quite strong.

Another that strikes me as quite similar is Tabarome Millesime. It shares a lot of the top notes, albeit toned down and with the standard Creed Millesime base, which makes it more wearable on me.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenFreak View Post
    I sprayed on some Italian Cypress at a department store about thirty hours ago. I disliked the top notes, forgot to keep track of the middle notes, but the base is _still_ hanging on, and I really, really like it. Even if I have to wait six hours to get the part I want, I may be getting myself a decant.
    For me, Italian Cypress is really similar to Tuscany by Aramis, but yeah it's the dry down that really makes the difference.

I always thought it smelled somewhat like Polo

To me, Italian Cypress is very similar to Z-14 but with considerably more longevity.

Italian Cypress smells exactly as I remember Z-14 smelling in the 80's when I used to wear it. However, I picked up a new bottle of Z-14 today and it smelled nothing like I remember it.

I know it was reintroduced a few years ago. Did the formula change??? The ingrediant list looks different than other bottles of Z-14 cologne. Not sure what's going on.

I'd love to get ahold of an old bottle of Z-14 to compare to the new version.
    Last edited by daddydg; 23rd August 2011 at 08:50 PM.

Dependent

I'd be curious about the old Z-14 as the new one smells like dentists' tooth polish to me -- all bitter cinnamon

I bought a gift set of Halston Z-14 tonight that includes a 4.2oz spray bottle and 2.5 oz aftershave for $16 at Walgreens based solely on the comments that it smells like Italian Cypress, which I like a lot. Upon first sniff, they are similar, but IC is not a dead ringer for Z-14. Z-14 is much brighter smelling if that makes any sense. It has a very strong lemon scent not unlike Pledge. IC is darker and more brooding, and less citrusy.. I do see the similarities between the two. Z-14 also reminds me of Geoffrey Bean's Grey Flannel and Polo Modern Reserve, but only a little. Z-14 was a good buy for that price, but unfortunately it won't satisfy my desire for Italian Cypress.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

i thought of z14 when i first smelled it. A friend and the TF rep both said Polo.

Dependent

I think Valentino Vendetta is the closest thing I've smelled to Italian Cypress. It's slightly sharper (touch of aldehydes?) and has a dab of what I think is iris (slightly soapy edge). V's not quite as natural as IC, but it's also 1/6th the price. I would say V is 90% as good as IC.

The new Z-14 (still haven't tried vintage) smells 100% synthetic and has tons of coumarin and much more cinnamon than those other two, while having much less conifer. Vastly inferior in every way IMO.

I'm giving Z-14 a full wearing today and it smells more like Italian Cypress than I initially thought. It smells a LOT like it when you smell it straight from the bottle. The top notes don't smell like it b/c of the lemon, but after it dries down it smells like IC.

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Ok so I've worn Z-14 for a little over 11 hours so far. The inital smell doesn't remind me of Italian Cypress, but after 2 hours or so it's drydown is VERY close. The opening lemon note in Z-14 seperates the two initally, however they smell similar once Z-14 has been on for a few hours. It's the reverse of the GIT and CW similarity in a few ways. This time, the more expensive one (IC) smells like the cheaper one (Z-14), but instead of the top notes being similar, it's the drydown. It also lasts a loooong time for an Eau De Cologne. I can still smell it easily on my wrist after 11 hours. Also it projected like a monster this morning. I put on 7 sprays (thinking it would be safe b/c it's an EDC) and it was STRONG! It truly is a good substitute for Italian Cypress once you get past the top notes. I now see where all the comparisons come from. This was a very good buy for $16.

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

I've never been particularly struck by any similarity between the two - indeed to my nose Z-14 dries down to be a lot more similar to Lagerfeld KL than IC.

And to whoever it was who said they were enjoying the new Halston Man - yes, I tried this the other day too and liked it a lot.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

I`ve been thinking of a purchase of Z-14 for a long time, but after reading this post I`m not sure anymore. I own a Italian Cypress bottle, which I like very much (my favorit from the Private Blend). The question is: Is it necessary to own Z-14 when I already own Italian Cypress ?

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    The question is: Is it necessary to own Z-14 when I already own Italian Cypress ?
    IMO Not really.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    IMO Not really.
    Thanks. Money saved!

Dependent

I`ve been thinking of a purchase of Z-14 for a long time, but after reading this post I`m not sure anymore. I own a Italian Cypress bottle, which I like very much (my favorit from the Private Blend). The question is: Is it necessary to own Z-14 when I already own Italian Cypress ?
    I think it's an absolutely great idea, since even the old formulation is so cheap. That way when you want to get a similar feel to IT but want to save your expensive juice, just douse the Z-14. I mean come on, you can get it for like $15. No-brainer if you already like IT.

Just make sure you get the stuff with oakmoss listed as detailed in this thread:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/287...ew-formulation)

I don't smell the connection. Love IC, could do without Z-14
    WANTED (full or partial bottles)
    Divine eau Divine (refillable)

Banned
    Blog Entries

The question is: Is it necessary to own Z-14 when I already own Italian Cypress ?

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    IMO Not really.

Thanks. Money saved!

Think you got that backwards.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by MOONB View Post
    Think you got that backwards.

Z-14 cheapened Italian Cypress for me. I wanted to buy IC but whenever I smell it, it reminds me too much of the much cheaper Z-14. It's not a bad scent or anything, but paying $195 for something that smells like a $15 fragrance doesn't appeal to me.

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

It really does smell almost the same.

I thought that Arabian Wood curiously smelled very similar to vintage Cabochard as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    Z-14 cheapened Italian Cypress for me. I wanted to buy IC but whenever I smell it, it reminds me too much of the much cheaper Z-14. It's not a bad scent or anything, but paying $195 for something that smells like a $15 fragrance doesn't appeal to me.
    How is the longevity of Z-14?

When you say similar is it a watered down version of italian cypress or more of synthetic version of it?

Quote Originally Posted by DAX View Post

When you say similar is it a watered down version of italian cypress or more of synthetic version of it?
    Longevity was something like 11 hours on me...very impressive for an EDC. It came out first, so Italian Cypress is actually an upscale, high quality version of Z-14. Z-14 has a huge blast of lemon in the beginning. It's during the drydown that they smell similar.

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Thanks. Money saved!
    Hey you can get my Z-14 125 ml, 124 ml left for next to nothing if interested
    I hate Z-14 almost as much as I hate Dior Homme/Intense, Habit Rouge and Yatagan

Jeg syntes Z-14 lugter som en medicinsk børneafdeling på et hospital....hæ....hæ.....

Claus fra København
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Quote Originally Posted by CHSeifert View Post
    Hey you can get my Z-14 125 ml, 124 ml left for next to nothing if interested
    I hate Z-14 almost as much as I hate Dior Homme/Intense, Habit Rouge and Yatagan

Jeg syntes Z-14 lugter som en medicinsk børneafdeling på et hospital....hæ....hæ.....

Claus fra København
    Thanks for your offer, but At the moment I think I`ll stick with my Italian Cypress.

(jeg liker I-C veldig godt, så hvis Z-14 er så lik I-C folk påståer, så kanskje jeg melder min interesse en annen gang. Takk. :-)

I definitely prefer Italian Cypress.

I wore the hell out of some Z-14 in the 80's and still have a couple bottles one old one new. I don't get that from Italian Cypress, some similarity but not that close to me.
    “Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”

Italian cypress was next on my list but after reading this thread I'm not sure if I wanna buy it anymore

My sample is starting to smell like Azzaro for men! there goes another comparison that will downgrade IC even more.

I can't smell IC and not think of Z-14 (vintage.) IC lasts longer and the drydown is nice but too similar to Z-14 at that price point.

Its funny, I was in Vegas a couple weeks ago with a girl that I like. We went into the Tom Ford store in City Center and her favorite from the private line was Italian Cypress. A couple days later we met for lunch and I wore Z-14 and she said " You wore my favorite one today didnt you ?" I just smiled. Only a BNer could notice the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Nersh View Post
    Its funny, I was in Vegas a couple weeks ago with a girl that I like. We went into the Tom Ford store in City Center and her favorite from the private line was Italian Cypress. A couple days later we met for lunch and I wore Z-14 and she said " You wore my favorite one today didnt you ?" I just smiled. Only a BNer could notice the difference.
    Nice!

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Nersh View Post
    Was it the new or vintage Z-14 edition you wore and own ?
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Quote Originally Posted by DAX View Post

It lasts longer than almost any other fragrance I've owned.

It smells just slightly less concentrated in the base. I use a little oakmoss absolute when I wear it to help it along and holy shit is it ever a great chypre fragrance.

I wore Italian Cypress a few weeks ago, and I was immediately struck by its similarity to SOMETHING - but maybe it's that "powerhouse men's fragrance" scent that is shared by Z-14 and all the others mentioned in this thread. I don't regret getting it - like it quite a lot.

Dependent

I'm sure it was vintage. And I'm quite sure that everyone on this thread who detects "not much" resemblance between IC and Z-14 is comparing the horrible new version, which indeed bears little resemblance to IC.

I looked for the vintage oakmoss version at TJ Maxx today at lunch, but alas, only the treemoss version could be found. I'll keep looking.

Just the current version.

Haha - I have to chime in. I bought a bottle of Z-14 and was immediately reminded of IC. The drydown in Z-14 is a bit "hotter", though, and IC has a lovely sweetness to it.

I'm glad I'm not crazy.