Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Dependent

Default Re: Tom Ford Italian Cypress = Halston Z-14

I think Valentino Vendetta is the closest thing I've smelled to Italian Cypress. It's slightly sharper (touch of aldehydes?) and has a dab of what I think is iris (slightly soapy edge). V's not quite as natural as IC, but it's also 1/6th the price. I would say V is 90% as good as IC.

The new Z-14 (still haven't tried vintage) smells 100% synthetic and has tons of coumarin and much more cinnamon than those other two, while having much less conifer. Vastly inferior in every way IMO.

I'm giving Z-14 a full wearing today and it smells more like Italian Cypress than I initially thought. It smells a LOT like it when you smell it straight from the bottle. The top notes don't smell like it b/c of the lemon, but after it dries down it smells like IC.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Ok so I've worn Z-14 for a little over 11 hours so far. The inital smell doesn't remind me of Italian Cypress, but after 2 hours or so it's drydown is VERY close. The opening lemon note in Z-14 seperates the two initally, however they smell similar once Z-14 has been on for a few hours. It's the reverse of the GIT and CW similarity in a few ways. This time, the more expensive one (IC) smells like the cheaper one (Z-14), but instead of the top notes being similar, it's the drydown. It also lasts a loooong time for an Eau De Cologne. I can still smell it easily on my wrist after 11 hours. Also it projected like a monster this morning. I put on 7 sprays (thinking it would be safe b/c it's an EDC) and it was STRONG! It truly is a good substitute for Italian Cypress once you get past the top notes. I now see where all the comparisons come from. This was a very good buy for $16.

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

I've never been particularly struck by any similarity between the two - indeed to my nose Z-14 dries down to be a lot more similar to Lagerfeld KL than IC.

And to whoever it was who said they were enjoying the new Halston Man - yes, I tried this the other day too and liked it a lot.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

I`ve been thinking of a purchase of Z-14 for a long time, but after reading this post I`m not sure anymore. I own a Italian Cypress bottle, which I like very much (my favorit from the Private Blend). The question is: Is it necessary to own Z-14 when I already own Italian Cypress ?

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    The question is: Is it necessary to own Z-14 when I already own Italian Cypress ?
    IMO Not really.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    IMO Not really.
    Thanks. Money saved!

Dependent

I`ve been thinking of a purchase of Z-14 for a long time, but after reading this post I`m not sure anymore. I own a Italian Cypress bottle, which I like very much (my favorit from the Private Blend). The question is: Is it necessary to own Z-14 when I already own Italian Cypress ?
    I think it's an absolutely great idea, since even the old formulation is so cheap. That way when you want to get a similar feel to IT but want to save your expensive juice, just douse the Z-14. I mean come on, you can get it for like $15. No-brainer if you already like IT.

Just make sure you get the stuff with oakmoss listed as detailed in this thread:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/287...ew-formulation)

I don't smell the connection. Love IC, could do without Z-14
    WANTED (full or partial bottles)
    Divine eau Divine (refillable)

Banned
    Blog Entries

The question is: Is it necessary to own Z-14 when I already own Italian Cypress ?

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    IMO Not really.

Thanks. Money saved!

Think you got that backwards.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by MOONB View Post
    Think you got that backwards.

Z-14 cheapened Italian Cypress for me. I wanted to buy IC but whenever I smell it, it reminds me too much of the much cheaper Z-14. It's not a bad scent or anything, but paying $195 for something that smells like a $15 fragrance doesn't appeal to me.

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

It really does smell almost the same.

I thought that Arabian Wood curiously smelled very similar to vintage Cabochard as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    Z-14 cheapened Italian Cypress for me. I wanted to buy IC but whenever I smell it, it reminds me too much of the much cheaper Z-14. It's not a bad scent or anything, but paying $195 for something that smells like a $15 fragrance doesn't appeal to me.
    How is the longevity of Z-14?

When you say similar is it a watered down version of italian cypress or more of synthetic version of it?

Quote Originally Posted by DAX View Post

When you say similar is it a watered down version of italian cypress or more of synthetic version of it?
    Longevity was something like 11 hours on me...very impressive for an EDC. It came out first, so Italian Cypress is actually an upscale, high quality version of Z-14. Z-14 has a huge blast of lemon in the beginning. It's during the drydown that they smell similar.

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Thanks. Money saved!
    Hey you can get my Z-14 125 ml, 124 ml left for next to nothing if interested
    I hate Z-14 almost as much as I hate Dior Homme/Intense, Habit Rouge and Yatagan

Jeg syntes Z-14 lugter som en medicinsk børneafdeling på et hospital....hæ....hæ.....

Claus fra København
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

Quote Originally Posted by CHSeifert View Post
    Hey you can get my Z-14 125 ml, 124 ml left for next to nothing if interested
    I hate Z-14 almost as much as I hate Dior Homme/Intense, Habit Rouge and Yatagan

Jeg syntes Z-14 lugter som en medicinsk børneafdeling på et hospital....hæ....hæ.....

Claus fra København
    Thanks for your offer, but At the moment I think I`ll stick with my Italian Cypress.

(jeg liker I-C veldig godt, så hvis Z-14 er så lik I-C folk påståer, så kanskje jeg melder min interesse en annen gang. Takk. :-)

I definitely prefer Italian Cypress.
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

I wore the hell out of some Z-14 in the 80's and still have a couple bottles one old one new. I don't get that from Italian Cypress, some similarity but not that close to me.
    “Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”

Italian cypress was next on my list but after reading this thread I'm not sure if I wanna buy it anymore

My sample is starting to smell like Azzaro for men! there goes another comparison that will downgrade IC even more.

I can't smell IC and not think of Z-14 (vintage.) IC lasts longer and the drydown is nice but too similar to Z-14 at that price point.

Its funny, I was in Vegas a couple weeks ago with a girl that I like. We went into the Tom Ford store in City Center and her favorite from the private line was Italian Cypress. A couple days later we met for lunch and I wore Z-14 and she said " You wore my favorite one today didnt you ?" I just smiled. Only a BNer could notice the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Nersh View Post
    Its funny, I was in Vegas a couple weeks ago with a girl that I like. We went into the Tom Ford store in City Center and her favorite from the private line was Italian Cypress. A couple days later we met for lunch and I wore Z-14 and she said " You wore my favorite one today didnt you ?" I just smiled. Only a BNer could notice the difference.
    Nice!

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Nersh View Post
    Was it the new or vintage Z-14 edition you wore and own ?
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

Quote Originally Posted by DAX View Post

It lasts longer than almost any other fragrance I've owned.

It smells just slightly less concentrated in the base. I use a little oakmoss absolute when I wear it to help it along and holy shit is it ever a great chypre fragrance.

I wore Italian Cypress a few weeks ago, and I was immediately struck by its similarity to SOMETHING - but maybe it's that "powerhouse men's fragrance" scent that is shared by Z-14 and all the others mentioned in this thread. I don't regret getting it - like it quite a lot.

Dependent

I'm sure it was vintage. And I'm quite sure that everyone on this thread who detects "not much" resemblance between IC and Z-14 is comparing the horrible new version, which indeed bears little resemblance to IC.

I looked for the vintage oakmoss version at TJ Maxx today at lunch, but alas, only the treemoss version could be found. I'll keep looking.
    Currently wearing: Royal Mayfair by Creed

Just the current version.

Haha - I have to chime in. I bought a bottle of Z-14 and was immediately reminded of IC. The drydown in Z-14 is a bit "hotter", though, and IC has a lovely sweetness to it.

I'm glad I'm not crazy.