Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Yet again, I smell Yatagan in New West for Men

Thought my nose was messing me with me I first tried New West at Ulta a few weeks back. It had that distinctive dirty pine note of Yatagan. I had always thought of New West as a bland aquatic frag. When I went in to Ulta a 2nd time, I got Yatagan yet again. Amazing that a mainstream frag like New West can get away with Yatagan's dirty pine note. Who'd have thought it?
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Default Re: Yet again, I smell Yatagan in New West for Men

Based on the reviews and feedback here I also expected some 90's US "fresh ozonic aquatic" a-la Polo Sport or Wings etc and when I first tried it at Ulta I thought I got it wrong and even had to return. On me it smells woodsy and peppery, not dissimilar to Dirty English which I sprayed on my other wrist in the store.

Post Thanks / Like

Have never smelled New West but if it reminds you of Yatagan (one of my absolute favorites!) it must smell wonderfully interesting!

Post Thanks / Like

--- no way ----
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    Thought my nose was messing me with me I first tried New West at Ulta a few weeks back. It had that distinctive dirty pine note of Yatagan. I had always thought of New West as a bland aquatic frag. When I went in to Ulta a 2nd time, I got Yatagan yet again. Amazing that a mainstream frag like New West can get away with Yatagan's dirty pine note. Who'd have thought it?
    When i sniffed New West on a card, it reminded me of Yatagan as well. At the time, i just figured i had sniffed too many frags and my nose was shot

Post Thanks / Like

If you read the ad copy at the Ulta website describing it New West now encompasses not just sand and surf like the original but, "the masculine essence of the mountains, dessert, sunshine and sea of the American West". I'm not so sure about the 'dessert', part, desert most certainly, sweet way to end a meal, not so much and have always scratched my head over the assertion that it was an aquatic. Must be the calone in the pyramid but it's almost negligible mixed in with all of the sage(brush), oregano and ceder.

I recently tried New West as well, and it didn't match up at all with how I'd always heard it described. I found it very peppery. I wasn't sure if I liked it or not-- I was just confused by it. I'll have to regroup and try it again.