Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default En sens de Bois (newish from Miller Harris)

In my trip to London, I visited the Miller Harris store. That was quite an enjoyable experience. I went to the Bruton Street shop, in Mayfair. It is a lovely shop, and I had a very nice SA who showed me all the fragrances and let me sniff as many as I wanted. I tried on Fleurs de sel and En sens de bois, and then had a cup of tea and biscuit as I deliberated. These are from the Nouvelle Edition line (therefore pricey) and at best I could only justify purchasing one at that point. I liked Fleur de sel, but in the end I chose En sens de bois. This scent isn't in the directory yet, so here is my review of it.

“En Sens de Bois is the result of a spiritual journey to Kyoto. It is a sophisticated essence of woods; a careful and harmonious fusion of cedar, santal, patchouli and bois des landes. This is balanced with moss, iris and wonderful balms of labdanum and olibanum, which create a sense of warmth and comfort.” from the Miller Harris website

The title is a pun in French. Literally, it means “in a sensation of woods” but it sounds like “incense of woods.” The scent lives up to its name: it is a lovely woody-incense fragrance. It starts with a very good dusky-green note, which to me suggests that there is some galbanum and possibly clary sage at work. The scent takes on a haunting quality: it seems both airy and powerful at the same time. It is quite dry, with no prominent floral or sweet notes. The woods develop beautifully in the dry-down, and the patchouli is restrained. The wood and incense notes are subtle but enjoyable. The scent sits close to the skin and has a comfortable, calming feel, just as the blurb says.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Default Re: En sens de Bois (newish from Miller Harris)

Thanks for the heads up. To be honest I haven´t experienced much from this house till now. I only have a sample of her Feuilles de Tabac and Citron Citron, which I both like.
    This one sounds great.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the heads up! Sounds quite interesting. I quite like Fleurs de Sel - how would you compare the two?

This sounds lovely, Odyss! Is it quite masculine, or could a gal pull it off?

Post Thanks / Like

To Haunani -- howdy, nice to see a note from you. It is not excessively masculine, apart from being rather dry. But it is a subtle, gentle scent (once the amazing green opening subsides) so I think that a right-minded gal certainly could enjoy it.

To GB -- I know you like iris (and probably leather) but those are notes low on my list. I appreciated the herbals in Fleurs de sel but the iris-leather combo went south on me, or rather I should say it went kind of sour. It wasn't an impossible scent, I found much to appreciate and it had some great moments. But for that kind of money, it had to be a winner -- which for me meant En sens de bois. Fleurs de sel seemed bolder, more citrus & herbal and then it had those eh-notes. But En sens de Bois had a an excellent green opening and then very gentle woods.
    Last edited by odysseusm; 15th May 2009 at 02:32 AM.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Post Thanks / Like

I thought I'd do an update on this, since I'm wearing my sample of Fleurs de Sel today. I will happily amend my statement above. Today, Sel is working perfectly. The green opening notes were superb, the iris was restrained, and I find the leather-moss-vetiver drydown to be very interesting. Sel is not at all woody, nor has much of an incense note. It doesn't have the airy character of En sens de Bois. But it too is an excellent scent. I may work that into the purchase scheme in a year or so.
    Last edited by odysseusm; 17th May 2009 at 03:47 PM.
    odysseusm

I am glad that you seem to have had such a productive trip. I know the Miller Harris store in Mayfair very well, and have given them much of my hard earned cash in the past. I do tend to make a high percentage of my purchases in shops like that, they often give me a plethora of samples and it turns into a good reciprical relationship.

I am familiar with En sens de Bois, I sampled it a while ago, and I could not quite justify the outlay. It had a typical Miller Harris feel to it, contained, but very well balanced. Its very mellow, and I particularly enjoyed the hollow tone provided by the clary sage. This does evolve beautifully, but it just didn't quite reach the heights I had hoped. The Miller Harris ethos is laudable, they seem intent on being very adventerous with their projects, even allowing for the odd failure.