Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Burr gives Black by Kenneth Cole one star

'...This slightly more nuanced scent, created by perfumers Harry Frémont and Sabine de Tscharneris, is the smell of deodorant with a synthetic spice angle. And there we have it. It is the scent favored by the former frat-boy/college-football-player/mid-level manager in a tie, intently following the PowerPoint presentation by the regional sales guys at the Tuesday 9 a.m. meeting. He is wearing Kenneth Cole shoes and a Kenneth Cole shirt, he looks like he drinks vodka martinis and, if you’re sitting next to him, he smells like he arrived at the meeting freshly showered from his workout at the gym. Sexy, if that’s your thing. And for millions of men and the women who like them, it is. Coty knows what it’s doing....'

Read the full review at the NYT The Moment blog here
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Burr gives Black by Kenneth Cole one star

I definitely work with some of those people....
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I like it as a change of pace. At least he recognizes that it does have some complexity. I like the incense in this one more than the drier and very expensive incense frags by niche companies. I think this is an example of having your "mind's nose" get accustomed to certain kinds of frags so that you can't appreciate what you have come to regard as "common," even if it really is not.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 14th May 2009 at 10:06 PM.

The first Kenneth Cole, the one in the grey/silver round bottle, disappeared pretty quickly. Black would be a huge step up from that particular one, which obviously isn't saying a lot.
    The Bark Bites Back.

Next to the bottle of Van Winkle Special Reserve

My previous girlfriend picked out KC Black for me. Thankfully, both her and the frag are gone.

In fairness, I agree with Burr that Black is inoffensive. The ex, however...
    Marge: Do you want your son to become Chief Justice of the Supreme Court or a sleazy male stripper?
    Homer: Can't he be both, like the late Earl Warren?

Basenotes Institution

I personally hate fragrances like Black. Nice to see Burr calling it like he sees it.

-- Jack Kerouac

KC black, to me at least, really stands out from the mass market crowd. Its not ground breaking, but its a gem of a tried and true formula that still manages some oomph in the uniqueness department. I suppose I say this because it has sentimental value, but Ive always gotten tons of compliments from girls on it, and it lasts decently.

The thing about it is that it has strength without sharpness, which is what I look for, along with uniqueness in the context of my rotation, and it's not so simple that it will bore you quickly. I don't have any major experience with the most common men's frags, so my "mind's nose" doesn't tell me it's "unworthy" or too generic.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 14th May 2009 at 10:07 PM.

Black actually reminds me of Bud Ice. When I turned 21 in college, I went out and bought myself a six pack of Bud Ice. It had alcohol in it, and sure enough, it did the trick. At the time, I would have considered it my favorite beer.

15 years later, I've tried probably over 400-500 beers, and guess what? Bud Ice is probably somewhere near the bottom of the rank. I don't even remember what it tastes like, really, other than the fact that if I go to any supermarket and grab a sixer of any brewery who advertises on tv, it's bound to taste pretty similar.

So what does Bud Ice have to do with KC Black? Well, I suppose they both have alcohol in them.
    The Bark Bites Back.

I have nothing against designer frags. I love some cheapies. I love some linear and simple frags that are surely just as cheap and synthetic as KC Black. But oh how I loathe KC Black. I admit that it's actually got some complexity and is multilayered and does evolve, but there is this sickening and abrasive soapy note (perhaps the lotus note? I can definitely smell the lotus in here [an almost earthy, slightly dirty floral note], but it's just harsh compared to the real thing) that pervades the whole composition and makes it feel like sandpaper up my nose. It turns my stomach, too. A shame because without that note I think I'd actually enjoy the scent quite a bit.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 14th May 2009 at 10:33 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Not too surprised that Burr only gave it one star. He did criticize KC Black in his book The Perfect Scent . I believe he may have been pointing to it having an olfactory "hook" at the top notes, and then fading into really something not so good. Basically he disliked Black.

I do like to read Burr's reviews, so thanks for posting this Mike.

It should not be called Black. There is nothing dark about this fragrance. They should name it Kenneth Cole Bland.

Kenneth Cole Black is pleasant enough. Let's keep perspective, I'd prefer to be sitting next to a person that has recently showered and spritzed 2-3 sprays of KC Black than a sweathog.

Having said that it isn't the type of fragrance that will excite the senior forum members on basenotes b/c it is bland and underwhelming.

Is that a comment by a pissed off Tania Sanchez in the article ?
    -

Sounds like some people aren't following the one spray rule! LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Thebark View Post
    Black actually reminds me of Bud Ice. When I turned 21 in college, I went out and bought myself a six pack of Bud Ice. It had alcohol in it, and sure enough, it did the trick. At the time, I would have considered it my favorite beer.

15 years later, I've tried probably over 400-500 beers, and guess what? Bud Ice is probably somewhere near the bottom of the rank. I don't even remember what it tastes like, really, other than the fact that if I go to any supermarket and grab a sixer of any brewery who advertises on tv, it's bound to taste pretty similar.

So what does Bud Ice have to do with KC Black? Well, I suppose they both have alcohol in them.
    That`s GREAT! You just make my day - with less words you described KC Black better than ChBurr!!!
    Vetiver The Great!!!

i think awarding one star was being far too generous and polite. except for reaction, the entire KC range is mediocre and forgettable. no one would miss it when it's gone. lovely bottle, theme and packaging though.

Quote Originally Posted by fperdices View Post
    It should not be called Black. There is nothing dark about this fragrance. They should name it Kenneth Cole Bland.
    In fashion, black is the ultimate neutral. So this use of "Black" is probably in that vein.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Is that a comment by a pissed off Tania Sanchez in the article ?
    I don't think she's from Chicago, is she? And I wish people would stop the "my city is cooler than your city" stuff.

I agree with Burr 100% on this one. When I first tried it I thought "WTF?! It smells like your bog standard drugstore or dollar-store shampoo or bodywash" and years later it still smells cheap and boring to me. The only thing I find offensive about this fragrance is the price tag.

I give it one star also, only because I can't give it zero stars (it would appear I did not rate it). This is bad stuff, and I'm on my third bottle of KC Reaction. Black is just plain unwearable.
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

In Burr's world, 1 - 5 star ratings don't mean the same as they normally do: where 3 stars are given to a 'breathtaking' perfume, and 2 stars mean something 'eminently sniffable' 1 star denominates an 'inoffensive' fragrance which one could also interpret as something positive (suitable in an office, or hospital environment maybe?) In other words, each star is an 'award' companies can use in advertising for even the meanest fragrance except those that get a 0-star ( 'don't inhale!' ). I think there were three zeros maximum in about as many years, and if I remember it correctly they were European imports. I guess this allows NYT to go the narrow path of being a tiny bit critical and still attract commercial advertising from the home industry.
    Last edited by narcus; 16th May 2009 at 06:49 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I actually wear a lot of KC clothes/shoes and sometimes drink vodka martinis, but I would never, ever wear Black or anything else by them. Same with DKNY - love the couture, hate the juice. Wonder why Burr even bothers with it anyways. It's been out forever and men who wear it aren't reading Burr's reviews and most certainly wouldn't be swayed to give it up. Here's a thought - how about reviewing juice that has come out in the past year such as Cartier Roadster or YSL Le Nuit de L'Homme where opinions haven't been formed yet? You've got so only so much space so why not use it wisely. Do I sound like an editor now?
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    ...Wonder why Burr even bothers with it anyways. It's been out forever and men who wear it aren't reading Burr's reviews and most certainly wouldn't be swayed to give it up...
    I agree with you that Black has been released so long ago, and I would love read how Burr feels about some of the more adventurous masculine releases too.

But here's the thing...A LOT of the people who are buying Black (if I had to guess) are not necessarily men - but the women in their lives (girlfriend, sister, daughter) who buy(s) their fragrance for the intended Black-target-audience. Perhaps these women read the NYT blog?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 15th May 2009 at 07:37 PM.

-- Jack Kerouac

I wore it today, two less-than-full sprays, I think. I had some things to do, so I knew I wouldn't be able to pay a lot of attention to fragrance. It worked great, just the right amount of complexity for the situation (and not something that would bother anyone). It's still going strong, 4-5 hours later. My first "real" frag was Aramis back in the 80s. Then I decided to "go natural" (unscented products, if any) for many years before coming back to frags. I don't have the preconceptions Burr seems to, so I'm glad my "naive" nose can appreciate a nice smell, which is also a good change of pace in my rotation.