Code of Conduct

Question 1st Recollection/Memory of Creed

I didn't want to hijack the GIT -> Bourdon thread with this, and I'm not sure this question has been asked before here..

What was the first recollection you had of the existence of Creed fragrance, going "way back"? This could be seeing it at a store, hearing about it or knowing it from a parent/friend/relative, etc.

I'm wondering how far back we can go.. Anybody remember when Bois du Portugal was released and what the "word" was on it in 1985? How about Acier Aluminum in 1973? etc.?

Curious..

Default Re: 1st Recollection/Memory of Creed

one quick note: Today is Frank Sinatra´s anniversary. I read he wore bdP --
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Blog Entries

Before I became a BNer, I read somewhere that Creed was what celebrities wore. Some bit of fluff journalism somewhere, maybe 2007 or 2008. Sorry I can't do better than that!

hell! .. anybody with a nose should like BDP
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Next to the bottle of Van Winkle Special Reserve

Never heard of it until I starting hanging around here.
    Marge: Do you want your son to become Chief Justice of the Supreme Court or a sleazy male stripper?
    Homer: Can't he be both, like the late Earl Warren?

My first exposure was fairly recent.

I went into the Perfumes Raffy store in about 2002 to sample a few Amouage fragrances.

Raffy brought out a few Creed fragrances, and without knowing anything about their "history" (real or not), reputation, price, etc I instantly knew they were special.

When he told me their price I was not shocked or surprised. I was won over by the fragrances alone, no hype or reputation.

There are other houses I've since discovered that I like as much. But I'll always have a soft spot for Creed, since they kick started my hobby.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Late 1997. I read an article - might have been GQ or similar. It wasn't available here but I mentioned it to a friend and at a small lunch with friends from work for my birthday in December a large dark green flacon appeared, ordered in from UK. It's still the sort of a reference, re-set mode for me amongst the many things I've tried recently.

PS It was GIT, btw! I picked up Tabarome Millesime in Milan purely by chance in 2002 - 'oh, another Creed' - nice.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 15th May 2009 at 07:14 AM. Reason: Which One!

There was a show by Gordon Eliot called "The Genuine Article" which featured on one show Creed colognes. I happened to somehow walk into a very up-scale shop in Memphis, Zoe's, and they had it and I got some samples. It has closed now.

Indeed - amazing it's been 11 years now!

And I can totally see Sinatra being a BdP guy through and through - apparently Jennifer Love Hewitt wears it too, according to Creed!

Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    one quick note: Today is Frank Sinatra´s anniversary. I read he wore bdP --

Do you remember approximately what year this was? I'm trying to find folks who remember the "older" Creed fragrances launching and what the hoopla was at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan View Post
    There was a show by Gordon Eliot called "The Genuine Article" which featured on one show Creed colognes. I happened to somehow walk into a very up-scale shop in Memphis, Zoe's, and they had it and I got some samples. It has closed now.

Bought a 2.5 of Millisime Imperial in my first decant order about 2 years ago.

I first became aware of Creed in 1997 when my wife, a perfume fan, read about them in a fashion magazine. She wanted me to try out a few of the men's Creeds, and she bought some samples of GIT, Erolfa, and I believe SMW and MI for me to try (GIT was great, Erolfa was OK, and SMW and MI were awful).

I read about Creeds bespoke service in a Times article about two years before I joined basenotes (I wasn't much into fragrances before that); a month or two later I tried my first Creed: Millesime Imperial.
    -

long before I even knew about basenotes I shopped at fragrancenet.com quite often... searching through their databases I was always intrigued at how some of the perfumes cost so much for so little (haha little did I know anything about niche AT ALL)... My first bottle was Original Santal that I got off of Ebay, which still sits proudly on my fragrance shelf, but after spending hours upon hours sampling anything I can get my hands on my respect for the house isn't as great as it used to be; granted, there are still some Creed frags that I love with all of my heart and wear at least once a week (Erolfa for one). Are all Creeds worth the prices they command? definately not... are some Creeds worth at least as much as the prices they command? definately so
    At your service

1. There was this overexposure to something wonderful someone must have poured
    all over himself before he entered that small store of an interior designer.. ..
    2. The smell haunted me for the rest of that Saturday in the Fall of 2004.
    3.That was followed by hunting all perfume shops in my town for that very smell.
    And the longer it lasted the more grew my fear that I might lose its traces from memory.
    It took about six weeks before my nose could clearly say: "that's the one!"
    Its name: Bois du Portugal !
    Creed meant nothing to me then, and I guess my web search resulted in, among other things,
    a link to Basenotes with all the consequences, good and bad... !
    Last edited by narcus; 15th May 2009 at 06:47 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Anthony, that show had to be back in 2002, 2003, maybe as far back as 2000. It was like on the Style channel on our cable system. Hope that helps.

When I was starting this fragrance hobby, I was looking for an exclusive fragrance. Something not alot of people have. I would window shop online through the Neiman Marcus, Saks, and Nordstrom catalogs and I would run into this "Creed" perfume that seemed to cost $110-$300 per bottle! I would do online searches for reviews of these "Creed" perfumes and that is how I ran into Basenotes. Using the reviews on BN, I narrowed down my search for this "exclusive" fragrance to one of two options, Creed's GIT and Himalaya. I ended up buying Himalaya. Creed was my first step into the niche world. I now own 4 bottles of Creed fragrances and many other niche brands.

For me, around 2005 was when I first heard of Creed.

I believe it was around 1995. I read a GQ article about "classics". It defined Creed Green Irish Tweed as the "Stone European Classic" and Old Spice as the "Stone American Classic".

After that, I was on an obsessive hunt to find it. I bought a 1 OZ bottle from Parfums Raffy, and I have seldom been without it since. It's my No. 1 all-time favorite scent, even though I am tired of it at the moment. A fresh bottle is amazing and unparalled in beauty.

IF I could only wear one scent for the rest of my days, GIT would be it. It is a great match for me.

Might have been the same article that got me started a year or so later. I do wear it every day - for about 5 minutes first thing in the morning - the GIT shaving dish is one of life's small but necessary luxuries.

About 1986 or so my aunt mentioned Creed to me and promised to buy me some. She never did. She wore one of them, a rose I believe.

Edit- Thinking about it, that was likely '85
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 15th May 2009 at 03:43 PM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    About 1986 or so my aunt mentioned Creed to me and promised to buy me some. She never did. She wore one of them, a rose I believe.

Edit- Thinking about it, that was likely '85
    I think 1985 unqestionably makes you the Creedmeister . I first heard of Creed on basenotes in 2006.
    Could anybody do a LexisNexis search to see whether there are earlier mentions of (Olivier) Creed in the press?
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by dpak View Post
    +1

Plus, once I DID hear about it, I didn't pay it much attention for a while brcause I hate the band Creed so much and that was my first association.
    ♦Wishlist♦

Nasomatto - Silver Musk
    Prada - Prada Man/Amber Pour Homme
    Tom Ford - Oud Wood

A L'Artisan Cap (old or new style)

Clothing + Goodies for sale!

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    I think 1985 unqestionably makes you the Creedmeister . I first heard of Creed on basenotes in 2006.
    Could anybody do a LexisNexis search to see whether there are earlier mentions of (Olivier) Creed in the press?
    I think meister may be too strong a definition for "heard it mentioned by a relative"

She didn't think I was interested because I hadn't reacted strongly to her previous fragrance gift. Of course I absolutely loved it but was too shy to say....
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

reviews

Ihave to confess the Creed brand has never appealed to me for some reason , am I really missing out on something that special ?

Like Dpak and A0 I never heard of Creed until I started reading this website.

I'd be interested to see the results. Searching Oliver Creed on google is pointless; all you get is Creed press propaganda.

I think it was on an episode of Nip/Tuck where a blind girl, who happened to be a perfumer, mentioned to Christian that he was trying to seduce women with his $200 bottle of Creed. Either that or in basenotes, with the 200x fragrance awards.

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    Ihave to confess the Creed brand has never appealed to me for some reason , am I really missing out on something that special ?
    I think you are
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

Quote Originally Posted by agent zero View Post
    plus, once i did hear about it, i didn't pay it much attention for a while brcause i hate the band creed so much and that was my first association.
    so true!!
    Last edited by supracuhz; 15th May 2009 at 07:42 PM.
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

Quote Originally Posted by monsieur_sparkle View Post

I'd be interested to see the results. Searching Oliver Creed on google is pointless; all you get is Creed press propaganda.
    I checked Lexis/Nexis Economy (all I have access to) and the oldest piece was from 1997, about Creed's and other bespoke services, from The Independent (UK).
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

On LexisNexis Academic, the oldest mention of Oliver Creed is in an article about the FiFi awards in the Independent circa 2000. I also checked HW Wilson, another good database, and found a Forbes article from 1999. Barring that, I tried Access World News, which cataloges 2000 newspapers worldwide, and FINALLY found something from 1993.

SHOP IS 2ND IN U.S. TO CARRY CREED FRAGRANCES
    Knoxville News-Sentinel, The (TN) - Tuesday, December 21, 1993
    Author: BARBARA ASTON-WASH NEWS-SENTINEL STAFF WRITER
    The world lost an artist, or maybe a professional equesterian, by a nose.

Oliver Creed , who studied literature and painting, trained for dressage.!But his father James Henry Creed, fifth in a line of fragrance designers in the House of Creed in Paris, France, suggested strongly, after discovering his son young possessed an uncanny sense of smell and definite business abilities, that Oliver devote his time to the family business.(

House of Creek fragrances, which were the official favorite to Queen+Victoria, are sold at seven Neiman Marcus stores across the country and in+Knoxville at Angelyns, 4499B Kingston Pike, in the Shops at Western Plaza.

"We wanted to bring Knoxville something different - to be among the firstcities in the country, not the last, to carry unique items," says Karen Keller, owner of Angelyns.

+ Her shop became the second in the United States to carry House of Creed fragrances, just a few months behind Neiman Marcus.

Over the phone from Cannes, France, where he was attending a symposium on fragrances, Oliver Creed talked about the family business.

The business was founded in England 1760 by James Henry Creed, whose fragrances soon became the favorite of the court and an official supplier to Queen Victoria.

In 1854, at the behest of Empress Eugenia, the House of Creed moved from London to Paris and soon achieved new notoriety by creating unique fragrances in the center of a city that set fashions.

Since that time more than 230 exclusive perfumes, all original and+handmade, have been created by the Creed family and worn by royals and the not-so royal as well.

"Our fragrances have the highest percentage of natural components in the French perfume industry," said Oliver Creed , who mixes the fragrances as his ancestors did by hand in the infusion technique - a process in which ingredients from raw materials are liquified by steeping.

"This process is not followed in modern industry, but by it we are able to preserve the originality of the fragrances," he says. "Not only have manufacturers abandoned that method of making perfume, but many use artificial fragrances altogether."

Rose essences from Bulgaria, Turkey or Morocco, jasmine from Italy, irises& from Florence, tuberoses from India and French violets are chosen for Creed fragrances.

Creed creates a new fragrance every two years, he says, and in Europe many(are considered unisex "because a good fragrance can be worn by either."

Among the all-time favorites is Green Irish Tweed, created for KingAlfonso XIII of Spain. It is a blend of sandalwood, vetevier, cedarwood, essencae of violet leaves, verveine (herbal tea of India), iris from Florence and ambergris.

"Our 'factory' is a studio, really. Just 27 square feet," he says.

"Quality, quality, quality in the essence and in the packaging, is a tradition we continually uphold. We use handmolded flasks with 18K gold on the base, the Creed name and the three-feathered Prince of Wales crest. Two of our employees do nothing but handpaint the crest. Over the years the bottles have become antiques, definitely collector's items."

The company produces just one size of eau de parfum ($95 for 2 1/2 ounces) and one of eau de toilette ($75 for 2 1/2 ounces) and does not create the same fragrance in both forms.

Since the House of Creed moved to Paris - it sits in the center of the city near Hotel George V - it has not been easy to get the nod of English royalty, so the company has yet to create fragrances specifically for Queen Elizabeth(II, Princes Diana or Prince Charles - though they may wear the fragrances Creed makes, he says.

HRH Grace Kelly of Monaco wore Creed fragrances as did some of the other.late stars - Errol Flynn, Cary Grant, Marlena Dietrich, Gary Cooper and Douglas Fairbanks.

Robert Redford, Paul Newman and Quincy Jones are also Creed fans.

In 1994 shalve balms, bathing gels and soaps will be offered in selected fragrances.

Oliver Creed 's wife Fabienne is also involved in the business. She takes care of the shop and does some buying with her husband.

He is now hoping that one of his two children, Ervin, 13, or Olivia, 15, will have a nose for perfumery and an interest to match.

When he is not up to the nose in business, Creed and his family head for their country place in the small town of Fontainebleau where his jumper horses are stabled. "My son is beginning to ride, and we do that together."
    Essentially more Creed Propaganda, just circa 1993. I wish two and a half ounce bottles still cost 75 dollars though!

EDIT: Just ran "House of Creed", "Henry Creed", "Oliver Creed", "Oliver Henry Creed," "James Henry Creed," "Oliver Henry Creed," "James Creed" though the digital archive of the London Times that dates back to 1785, close to the "founding" of Creed. Nothing.

EDIT2: Found something in the New York Times archive. At least I thought it was. Found a result from 1934 on "House of Creed". But instead, some poor underpaid person assigned to copying down the old newspapers put "House of Greed" down as "House of Creed."
    Last edited by Royal; 15th May 2009 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Royal View Post
    EDIT2: Found something in the New York Times archive. At least I thought it was. Found a result from 1934 on "House of Creed". But instead, some poor underpaid person assigned to copying down the old newspapers put "House of Greed" down as "House of Creed."
    House of Greed, House of Creed, what's the difference?

If anyone happens to be at the British National Archives in the near future:

"Royal Warrant Holders

From 1900 lists of royal warrant holders are published annually in the London Gazette. Grants of the right to display the royal arms are recorded in the records of the Lord Chamberlain´s Department in LC 5/243-246 from 1837 to 1901. Earlier tradesmen´s appointments appear in the Appointment Books, Series II in LC 3/61-70 from 1660 to 1837."

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/f...rade/royal.htm

I suppose of George III commissioned REL that would be listed here then.
    Last edited by the_good_life; 15th May 2009 at 08:59 PM.
    My Wardrobe

Is this open to free public access? If so I will have a look. I was thinking of going to Kew anyway to catch the end of the bluebells there.

If anyone happens to be at the British National Archives in the near future:

"Royal Warrant Holders

From 1900 lists of royal warrant holders are published annually in the London Gazette. Grants of the right to display the royal arms are recorded in the records of the Lord Chamberlain´s Department in LC 5/243-246 from 1837 to 1901. Earlier tradesmen´s appointments appear in the Appointment Books, Series II in LC 3/61-70 from 1660 to 1837."

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/f...rade/royal.htm

I suppose of George III commissioned REL that would be listed here then.

reviews

This is developing into an Agatha Christie mystery, post by post! Keep 'em coming! I for one would love to get some firm evidence that vindicates Creed's claims of a long and illustrious lineage.

Quote Originally Posted by dpak View Post
    Ditto, haha
    unico grande amore.

Quote Originally Posted by Royal View Post
    On LexisNexis Academic, the oldest mention of Oliver Creed is in an article about the FiFi awards in the Independent circa 2000. I also checked HW Wilson, another good database, and found a Forbes article from 1999. Barring that, I tried Access World News, which cataloges 2000 newspapers worldwide, and FINALLY found something from 1993...............
    Essentially more Creed Propaganda, just circa 1993. I wish two and a half ounce bottles still cost 75 dollars though!

EDIT: Just ran "House of Creed", "Henry Creed", "Oliver Creed", "Oliver Henry Creed," "James Henry Creed," "Oliver Henry Creed," "James Creed" though the digital archive of the London Times that dates back to 1785, close to the "founding" of Creed. Nothing.

Maybe you also want to search for Olivier Creed(the French name holds another 'i'.)

Most interesting finds so far (just starting but short of time) :

The Sweet Smell of Excess

What Wounded Soldier Doesn't Want to Smell Zesty?

also has comments

Even the French 'Le Figaro' launches perfume ads camouflaged as either interview or article : Creed, de Père en fils...
    (who said 'Creed don't advertise' ? )
    Last edited by narcus; 16th May 2009 at 10:53 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.