Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 27 of 27
  1. #1

    Default My Experience With Jicky

    I can't say I was impressed with Jicky in EdT form. It was the phantom of a lemon-scented wet-wipe, then it was gone. Wimpy and unpleasant.

    Today, however, I tried Jicky in parfum form - a big difference. I'd classify this with Diptyque's L'Autre and Hermes Eau d'Hermes as a transparent animalic citrus. Though Jicky is not spicy like the other two, all three share an interesting lemony-citrus top contrasted with an animalic base.

    Jicky's top goes on with a strong bergamot and lemon, dry but not harsh. After twenty minutes or so the civet comes roaring in and civet's fecal quality makes this quite a dirty, skanky citrus just slightly modified by a light vanilla. In the base the civet calms down and becomes mellow, allowing the vanilla to show itself more. After about the six hour mark, it's all gone.

    The thing is, the parfum behaves rather like an EdT on me. It doesn't have full-bodied quality and exceptional longevity I expect from a parfum, and given that, have to wonder if it's really worth parfum prices...

  2. #2

    Default Re: My Experience With Jicky

    So, to summarize:

    EdT - Lemon wipe
    EdP - Ass wipe


  3. #3

    Default Re: My Experience With Jicky

    Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    The thing is, the parfum behaves rather like an EdT on me. It doesn't have full-bodied quality and exceptional longevity I expect from a parfum, and given that, have to wonder if it's really worth parfum prices...
    I had the same longevity issues so I bought the parfum extrait and I'm sorry to say that it doesn't have much longevity either. It's a pity as Jicky is so wonderful. Vol de Nuit, Mouchoir de Monsieur and Apres le Ondee also have longevity issue on me. L'Heure Bleu is the only one of the important Geurlains that lasts quite well on my skin.
    And that's the way I see it.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 15th May 2009 at 06:05 AM.

  4. #4

    Default Re: My Experience With Jicky

    Thanks, guys. I think I trust you with this one.
    I now take the ťxtrait of Jicky and VDN off my 'to get' list.


    It's one of the first perfumes I thought I knew.
    My sentimental attachment actually goes back to
    an overnight stay at some luxury apartment in Berlin.
    That was in my early days, and somehow the
    mix of vanilla and 'something dirty' began to
    live it's own life in my soul. Decades later, when
    I 'came by money' myself, I thought I'll just buy the EDT
    but it appeared to be flat and small...
    Memory meets reality, or just reformulation in
    downward steps? Both, I guess.
    Last edited by narcus; 15th May 2009 at 03:41 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi Ť un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

  5. #5
    Sur la Plage

    petruccijc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Clearwater Beach, Florida
    Posts
    17,010

    Default Re: My Experience With Jicky

    I agree. The EDP is quite lovely - but really does lack longevity.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

  6. #6

    Default Re: My Experience With Jicky

    Oh well, that`s why people (and me too) chasing after the vintages.

    As for Jicky - I used two bottles dated in 1980`s (50 ml EDT and 50 ml EDP) and both of them could be named as silver fur, warm and a bit skunky.
    But they were gone - and I bought refill of EDP XXI century edition. It has the same structure, but less body, less furry and somewhat poor, lacking and not-satisfying.

    So I need perfume - or old bottle.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

  7. #7

    Default Re: My Experience With Jicky

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I had the same longevity issues so I bought the parfum extrait and I'm sorry to say that it doesn't have much longevity either. It's a pity as Jicky is so wonderful. Vol de Nuit, Mouchoir de Monsieur and Apres le Ondee also have longevity issue on me. L'Heure Bleu is the only one of the important Geurlains that lasts quite well on my skin.
    And that's the way I see it.
    Ruggles: do you mean the extrait of Vol de Nuit? I agree with you on Jicky, MdM and AlO but the extrait of Vol de Nuit has excellent longevity on me. However, I agree that it is nowhere near the shower-surviving stamina of LHB extrait.
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & RÍve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)


    Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

    "The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

  8. #8

    Default Re: My Experience With Jicky

    Jicky EdT is no good for me either. It's all about the EdP!

  9. #9

    Default Re: My Experience With Jicky

    I use Jicky Parfum and that only lasts around 6 or 7 hours on me

  10. #10

    Default Re: My Experience With Jicky

    I own and proudly wear Jicky edp in vintage late 80's formulation and it's wonderful. It also lasts ages, like 10-12 hours on my skin being detectable. It's a staple in my drobe.

  11. #11
    Basenotes Plus
    Candy Perfume Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Milton Keynes
    Posts
    2,068

    Default Re: My Experience With Jicky

    I have no longevity issues with the EDP (I'm wearing it today) bit have found the EDT to be incredibly fleeting. The parfum was scary.
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

    Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

  12. #12

    Default Re: My Experience With Jicky

    I get decent longevity with the EdT but I do have to spray a lot of it for it to last well. I love it. My bottle is from the late 90's. It is a sort of flat scent after the initial citrus topnotes but rich and comfortable. Oily, quiet, animalic lavender.

  13. #13

    Default Re: My Experience With Jicky

    Quote Originally Posted by Merlino View Post
    Ruggles: do you mean the extrait of Vol de Nuit? I agree with you on Jicky, MdM and AlO but the extrait of Vol de Nuit has excellent longevity on me. However, I agree that it is nowhere near the shower-surviving stamina of LHB extrait.
    I have the extrait of VdN and I find it lacking in the longevity department. Perhaps it's just me. It lasts about 3-4 hours.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 15th May 2009 at 04:36 PM.

  14. #14

    Default Re: My Experience With Jicky

    That's a real shame... I probably like VdN even better than I like Mitsouko (*ducks to avoid the bottles flying my way* ) and the extrait stays with me throughout the day...
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & RÍve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)


    Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

    "The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

  15. #15
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,868

    Default Re: My Experience With Jicky

    Galamb - I was always under the impression that the Eau de Parfum formulation of Jicky was the best for longevity, diffusion, sillage, etc. Your post confirms this. You need to try the Eau de Parfum Galamb - preferably, as moonfish suggested, a vintage bottle. If you ever see Parfum de Toilette, that is vintage. I see it on Ebay ever so often, usually at a very high price.

    I personally don't own a full bottle of Jicky yet, since I tested the EdT and experienced the same thing that you did. If I ever do own a bottle, it will be vintage EdP or PdT. For now, you might want to sample Mouchoir de Monsieur - a heartier, skankier and just-as-luxurious version of Jicky. My full bottle is on the way to me soon, and I can't wait to wear it.

    In response to Merlino and Ruggles comments about the Vol de Nuit parfum longevity - I must agree with Ruggles. He and I tested vintage perfume and yes it's a glorious, very touching perfume - the way that the galbanum wraps itself around the moss and spices and then arrives at the Guerlainade is quite magical. But it was GONE from my skin in a couple of hours. And I applied more than a few drops. Sad, because I wanted to really keep that wonderful enchanting smell going for longer. My goal is to sample/buy the VDN Eau de Cologne soon, to see if maybe this version 'sticks around' longer.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 15th May 2009 at 03:32 PM.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

    -- Eckhart Tolle

  16. #16

    Default Re: My Experience With Jicky

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    My goal is to sample/buy the VDN Eau de Cologne soon, to see if maybe this version 'sticks around' longer.
    I'm waiting to pull the trigger on a bottle of VdN vint. EDC til next paycheck... Please don't steal it from me!
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & RÍve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)


    Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

    "The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

  17. #17
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,868

    Default Re: My Experience With Jicky

    Quote Originally Posted by Merlino View Post
    I'm waiting to pull the trigger on a bottle of VdN vint. EDC til next paycheck... Please don't steal it from me!
    LOL. Deal. But that means you have to play nice and promise to send me a sample of some, when you win it.

    Seriously, good luck and please post your thoughts when you get it. I only know Mr. Guerlain who has smelled it - VdN EdC is almost never spoken of here on BN.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

    -- Eckhart Tolle

  18. #18

    Default Re: My Experience With Jicky



    Yeah, I already pm'ed Mr. Guerlain about how it compares to the current extrait
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & RÍve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)


    Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

    "The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

  19. #19

    Default Re: My Experience With Jicky

    I'm a big Jicky fan. I first tried the PdT, which I loved. Unable to find a bottle of even the EdP, I settled for the EdT. My experience of the EdT is like Strollyourlobster's: it has suprising longevity on me (it gets faint pretty fast, but sticks around, subtle and nicely skanky, for hours and hours). I still hope to get a bottle of PdT / EdP someday. Great stuff!

    And as Galamb Borong says on a different thread, despite its age, Jicky is infinitely more unusual than such purportedly outrageous frags as L'Anarchiste.

  20. #20

    Default Re: My Experience With Jicky

    Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    Thanks, guys. I think I trust you with this one.
    I now take the ťxtrait of Jicky and VDN off my 'to get' list.


    It's one of the first perfumes I thought I knew.
    My sentimental attachment actually goes back to
    an overnight stay at some luxury apartment in Berlin.
    That was in my early days, and somehow the
    mix of vanilla and 'something dirty' began to
    live it's own life in my soul. Decades later, when
    I 'came by money' myself, I thought I'll just buy the EDT
    but it appeared to be flat and small...
    Memory meets reality, or just reformulation in
    downward steps? Both, I guess.
    Hey Narcus,

    i have a vintage jicky edt.
    it smells different than the one sold now at the stores.

    i dotn have a problem with longevity but with the sillage.
    the lavender, civet vanilla works great on me.

    i think u will still love it if u will find one of the older botles.
    there have been many many reformulations.

  21. #21

    Default Re: My Experience With Jicky

    Quote Originally Posted by moreda View Post
    Hey Narcus,

    i have a vintage jicky edt.
    it smells different than the one sold now at the stores.

    i dotn have a problem with longevity but with the sillage.
    the lavender, civet vanilla works great on me.

    i think u will still love it if u will find one of the older botles.
    there have been many many reformulations.
    Yes, and don't forget to try Mouchoir de Monsieur, as Mike mentioned. It seems to be readily available in Germany and Austria (I bought a bottle in Vienna while visiting). MdM, despite its name, is surprisingly similar to Jicky, perhaps a little darker and more complex with something leathery/rubbery going as I recall when I did a side by side blind test of the two (on paper).

  22. #22

    Default Re: My Experience With Jicky

    Never tried the EdT, but I think the PdT is the most versatile. The Parfum to me is where it's at since there's so much more of the "good stuff", but you gotta be generous. I think a dab the size of a quarter to the wrists and/or behind the ears, works for me.

    I found that with the case of Jicky, Shalimar, and especially VdN, you need body heat--lots of it, in order for it to bloom, otherwise, it dies on you after 2 hours--no doubt about it. In general, I always have problems with Guerlain scents because 85% of the essences are natural, therefore shorter lived.
    *********************



    Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

    "Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"


    ~My reviews~

    ~My Wardrobe~



    I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

  23. #23

    Default Re: My Experience With Jicky

    Quote Originally Posted by Delmar View Post
    Yes, and don't forget to try Mouchoir de Monsieur, as Mike mentioned. It seems to be readily available in Germany and Austria (I bought a bottle in Vienna while visiting). MdM, despite its name, is surprisingly similar to Jicky, perhaps a little darker and more complex with something leathery/rubbery going as I recall when I did a side by side blind test of the two (on paper).
    i actually prefer MDM.
    it is more complex and darker as well.

  24. #24

    Default Re: My Experience With Jicky

    Quote Originally Posted by iMaverick View Post
    I always have problems with Guerlain scents because 85% of the essences are natural, therefore shorter lived.
    That's interesting! May I ask on what you base this statement?
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & RÍve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)


    Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

    "The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

  25. #25

    Default Re: My Experience With Jicky

    Hello Merlino,
    i have also heard the same thing... but here in Holand.
    Guerlain promotes it's perfume like this.
    they alwas say that theire perfumes are for about 80% pure essentials.

  26. #26

    Default Re: My Experience With Jicky

    I own Jicky in all 3 concentrations now. All are "modern", meaning they probably are the latest formulation.

    EDT--if I spray alot (say, 2 sprays to each arm), it lasts all day and is quite strong. It loses the lavender within the first hour. Emphasis is on the lemon/vanilla and civet.

    EDP--if I spray one spray to each arm at night, I can still smell the musk base the next morning. Seems to be the longest life of the three, although I really don't like the musk base very much Balanced between lemon, lavender, vanilla and civet.

    Parfum--if I spray one spray to each arm, or one spray shared with both arms at night, I can still smell it the next day, but it it not as strong as the EDP. Seems to wear closest to the body start to finish, although the EDT drydown is very close to the body too. Much more lavender and civet, with the vanilla and civet forming a creamy accord.

    Other observations: I have no trouble with longevity with Shalimar EDP or extrait, nor Vol de Nuit extrait. They are all night scents for me, and I can still smell them the next morning. And I agree with the comment above that VdN is more enjoyable to me than Mitsouko. The longevity giant I have from Guerlain is Habit Rouge EDP.
    Last edited by Asha; 16th May 2009 at 03:46 AM.

  27. #27

    Default Re: My Experience With Jicky

    Quote Originally Posted by PhinClio View Post
    I'm a big Jicky fan. I first tried the PdT, which I loved. Unable to find a bottle of even the EdP, I settled for the EdT. My experience of the EdT is like Strollyourlobster's: it has suprising longevity on me (it gets faint pretty fast, but sticks around, subtle and nicely skanky, for hours and hours). I still hope to get a bottle of PdT / EdP someday. Great stuff!

    ...
    I had forgotten which kind of Jicky "EdP" tester 75 ml. I bought on ebay a couple years ago. It took me a couple minutes to retrieve it from the back of a closet shelf. It happens to be a "Parfum de Toilette" . I bought this one along with an EdT tester in a short but hectic "bling buy" period prior to finding out what a great (and useful) community this was. I was wearing it again (after posting what I wrote above about MdM) and I think the light is starting to dawn on me what a fabulous scent it is. IMO the skanky side of Jicky is in a very nice balance with the rest of the scent in the PdT. I'm going to have to give the EdT some more wears but the first time I tried it I'm not sure I enjoyed the "animalistic" aspect of that version. It could be that it was the opening I found most off-putting.

    This has been a very helpful thread!

Similar Threads

  1. Shalimar / L'Heure Bleue / Jicky
    By moondeva in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 1st July 2009, 02:13 PM
  2. SotY: #8 Guerlain Jicky
    By Somerville Metro Man in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 7th April 2009, 07:48 AM
  3. SotY: #8 Guerlain Jicky
    By Somerville Metro Man in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 5th April 2009, 05:17 PM
  4. Jicky EdP Discontinued? (Part Deux)
    By PhinClio in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 31st December 2008, 12:29 PM
  5. Tried Jicky Parfum & Guerlain Heritage today - Similarities anyone?
    By gupts in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 16th March 2008, 11:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000