Code of Conduct

Default L'Eau Guerriere, new from Parfumerie Generale

While in Les Senteurs, I sampled this and immediately liked it. It, and Iskander (Parfum D'Empire) were my acquisitions there. I thought I'd post a note since it is new and not in the directory.

L’Eau Guerriere by Parfumerie Generale
    “The warrior’s scent...described by its creator as very modern, brutal, devastating. A light but penetrating blend of cinchona bark, olibanum resin, aloewood, musk and myrrh: spicy and slightly peppery. Warm but airy. Sophisticated to a degree and applicable to both men and women: for Athena as well as Mars.” From Les Senteurs website

Notes:
    Cinchona bark (South American evergreen shrub, source of quinine)
    Olibanum resin
    Aloewood (oud)
    Musk
    Myrrh
    “Sky aldehyd heaven” – some sort of fresh note
    Limonene – gives an orange note
    Cinnimal – sweet, balsamic, occurs in cinnamon

It is a distinctive scent, and I like it and bought a bottle. The first time I wore it, I was struck by the very fresh opening. I’m not a big fan of “fresh” notes, but this was very pleasant. It reminded me of freshly-laundered sheets and nice soap. A bit of citrus from the limonene. There also were some green aromatic notes, perhaps from the myrrh and coumarin. These seemed a bit herbal, even vegetal; like celery leaves and meadow grass. The myrrh and oud worked together well, and created an uplifting yet contemplative tone. While all this was happening, the woody notes were emerging. The cinchona bark has quite a woody profile; it is somewhat like cedar but without any connotation of pencil shavings. The second time I wore it, these woody notes seemed more dominant and emerged earlier.
    So this scent is distinctive in combining cool-fresh notes with warm woody ones, and this interesting yin-yang pattern persists. I’d say sample this one, since it is expensive. But it is complex and definitely worth checking out.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Default Re: L'Eau Guerriere, new from Parfumerie Generale

L'eau Guerriere to me was really about incense. (Well, at least it has the most incense in any PG creation!) Overall, it's a pleasant clean and green incense frag. It reminded me of Duro actually. (No, they don't really smell alike) I thought it was quite nice... but it didn't win me.

As a side note, there's about half a dozen PG scents missing from the directory right now... wish they would be added soon. (Felanilla, Drama Nuui, etc)
    Last edited by moltening; 15th May 2009 at 07:48 PM.

I'm not sure if I should try this one or not. The myrrh and aldehyde in the notes makes it sound rather like Lutens' La Myrrhe, and La Myrrhe combined with green could be gorgeous! On the other hand, Duro is my arch-nemesis fragrance, a sickly sweet ambery nightmare FROM HELL! *ahem*

Decisions, decisions...

Interesting, BG! On me, Duro is reserved and dry, I don't get amber at all.
    I agree with you in disliking heavy amber notes. I just don't get that in Duro.
    & I don't get it in Guerriere.
    I am still struggling to identify myrrh -- I don't think it has a high profile here, but it is part of the mix.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

is this one Oud prominent Oddy? i notice you mention it's woody quite a bit (some like original oudh by montale?)....also, Olibanum...hmmm..isit intense or fleeting..?

the notes look wonderful on paper..a definite must try kinds. Thnx for the review Oddy.

Had this one for quite a while now, and it's one of my favourite scents. Delicious. Kinda vegetal/good weed-ish at first, but oh so good after mellowing out

In response to jension -- I wouldn't say this is either oud- or incense-prominent. It is quite a subtle scent, even a bit of a chameleon. That suits me fine. I appreciate oud but don't crave it. Here, it gives a kind a low-key vibratory intensity to the myrrh (if that makes any sense).
    MInd you, on another day, I might find the oud-incense notes more prominent. This is that sort of scent, you learn more about it each time you wear it.
    Alacious -- glad to hear from another Canadian. Glad you like it too.
    odysseusm

Quote Originally Posted by moltening View Post
    Overall, it's a pleasant clean and green incense frag
    That scares me! A 'clean' frag is the last thing I'd want from PG I'll reserve further judgment until I get around to sampling this.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather