Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Now Foods Essential Oils - Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by AdrienneC71 View Post
    Where are you getting your prices? According to our us site, it's only $100.66. It's expensive because it's hard to make.
    What came up for me was the Australian website and I converted to USD at the current rate. I'm not sure why the Australian prices are higher. Also neither the US nor the Australian website appears to say whether the prices include VAT/GST or not. From an Australian point of view, if the oils are supplied within Australia, 10% GST would be payable, and no VAT; and legally the advertised price should include GST. If they are supplied direct from overseas neither GST nor VAT would be payable.

For comparison, Eden Botanicals prices are $75 - $79 USD for 7.5ml (= 1/4 ounce) of jasmine absolute, and again I can't see and don't remember whether that includes VAT. But either way, the Eden prices are lower.

Where are you getting your prices? According to our us site, it's only $100.66. It's expensive because it's hard to make.
    Why is it any harder than other absolutes? The yield is low for very high amounts of inputs. That would be the proper reason. Of course, it could also be that they are scamming you which is why the price would be mega high.

Quote Originally Posted by Alysoun View Post
    What came up for me was the Australian website and I converted to USD at the current rate. I'm not sure why the Australian prices are higher. Also neither the US nor the Australian website appears to say whether the prices include VAT/GST or not. From an Australian point of view, if the oils are supplied within Australia, 10% GST would be payable, and no VAT; and legally the advertised price should include GST. If they are supplied direct from overseas neither GST nor VAT would be payable.

For comparison, Eden Botanicals prices are $75 - $79 USD for 7.5ml (= 1/4 ounce) of jasmine absolute, and again I can't see and don't remember whether that includes VAT. But either way, the Eden prices are lower.
    Well, I don't know about VAT/GST. Young Living has farms in USA and other countries. However, I believe all products are sold from the USA. As for Eden, they are probably cheaper because they are diluted or have synthetic ingredients.

Quote Originally Posted by George Tedder View Post
    Why is it any harder than other absolutes? The yield is low for very high amounts of inputs. That would be the proper reason. Of course, it could also be that they are scamming you which is why the price would be mega high.
    If you want to know more about essential oils, I encourage you to read "The Essential Oil Truth" by Jen O'Sullivan. It gives a very unbiased view. If you would like to know more about Young Living and why their oils are more expensive than other brands, I encourage you to go to http://seedtoseal.com/en

Banned

Spot on information for YL and DoT devotees:

http://kaylafioravanti.com/warnings-...wont-tell-you/

Really, Only Jasmine absolute is made, not the essential oil, since it doesn't work well. You *can* make Jasmine oil by enfleurage, then distill the oil from the fat. Still I don't think that's called an essential oil. YL is using the word rather loosely, and fairly incorrectly. They use terms to suit their needs, and that don't have any real meaning, like for instance, "Therapeutic Grade". Gary Young simply made up that phrase, as a marketing ploy, it means absolutely nothing. You will never ever see a supplier, WHOM THEY BUY FROM, mark a grade of EO as therapeutic grade. There is no such grade. And no, YL purity doesn't negate all the harmful effects of lesser grades...

My best recommendation, is RUN away from that cult of propaganda and incorrect theology of essential oils and their use.

The very best Jasmine Absolute that I can find sells for $382 per ounce, that would be 30 ml/ounce, makes that $12.73/ml., so 5ml = $63.66
    lesser grades of jasmine cost much less. $270, $240, and $166/ounce. That lesser grade of Jasmine absolute prices at 5ml = $27.66

You can tell I hope, that I have zero respect for Young Living. It's just a scam, that's giving bad information and hyper inflated price products out to the world through their missionaries.
    Last edited by pkiler; 8th September 2016 at 06:08 AM.

Banned

Well, I don't know about VAT/GST. Young Living has farms in USA and other countries. However, I believe all products are sold from the USA. As for Eden, they are probably cheaper because they are diluted or have synthetic ingredients.
    You simply don't know what you are talking about.

Banned

To Quote myself:

Paul Kiler says
    August 4, 2014 at 5:37 pm

So Here it goes with no apologies.

Gary Young isn’t God.
    Gary Young has money as his motive.
    Gary Young is plain wrong, on many things.
    Gary Young is wrong to advocate and tell people to take EO’s internally in anything other than trace amounts.
    Gary Young is wrong to advocate using undiluted Essential oils on your skin, ESPECIALLY over a protracted amount of time

Young Living and DoTerra are Cults.
    Young Living and DoTerra and all MLM schemes make money from OTHER people’s hard work, not from their own.

Robert Tisserand is the BOMB.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS “THERAPEUTIC GRADE”.

Essential oils sold by these two companies ARE NOT refined so much/so many times as to render them unharmful any longer.
    ALL PEOPLE Defending Young Living and DoTerra need to get a life and get their minds right. They are WRONG.

How do I know this?
    How Do I Know ALL THIS?
    Because I am a Perfumer, and I know Chemistry.

Do you Young Living and DoTerra people have degrees in Chemistry?

WHEN you do have a degree in Chemistry, then you will know the real TRUTH, and not accept being spoon fed nonsense by these hucksters.

Have a nice day.

If you want to know more about essential oils, I encourage you to read "The Essential Oil Truth" by Jen O'Sullivan. It gives a very unbiased view. If you would like to know more about Young Living and why their oils are more expensive than other brands, I encourage you to go to http://seedtoseal.com/en
    Why would you believe this over something I tell you, or something anyone else on this forum tells you? When you can, in a blind trial, consistently recognize YL oils and determine their quality to be higher than those of other suppliers, then I will believe you. Until then, I am skeptical of anything anyone tells me. Especially when there is so much evidence against you and in my favor.
    Last edited by George Tedder; 8th September 2016 at 06:39 AM.

Why does price determine the quality? How can you determine whether something was diluted or cut with "synthetic ingredients" (whatever you really mean by that) if you don't have access to proper GC analysis? Is your nose the best in the world? Something like this: http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/Enforcement.../ucm416023.htm would be enough to scare me away from this brand, company, and their philosophy. But, do as you may. If you like what you are buying, and you are using it in a safe way, continue to purchase it and be happy -- regardless of what you have payed for it. However, those here may ask that you do not spread misinformation or slander the reputations of other companies without sufficient proof.

Quote Originally Posted by George Tedder View Post
    Why does price determine the quality? How can you determine whether something was diluted or cut with "synthetic ingredients" (whatever you really mean by that) if you don't have access to proper GC analysis? Is your nose the best in the world? Something like this: http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/Enforcement.../ucm416023.htm would be enough to scare me away from this brand, company, and their philosophy. But, do as you may. If you like what you are buying, and you are using it in a safe way, continue to purchase it and be happy -- regardless of what you have payed for it. However, those here may ask that you do not spread misinformation or slander the reputations of other companies without sufficient proof.
    I never slandered the other companies. I simply stated that there may be a reason they are less expensive. As for misinformation, that is your opinion of the information I have presented. I never claimed to be an expert. I simply said what I have learned. If you don't believe me then we will just have to agree to disagree.

I am a distributor for Young Living and we sell 100% pure Jasmine Essential oil in 5 ml bottles. The reason some EOs cost more is because they are so rare. Our rose EO sells for $244.08 for 5 ml.
    So, distributor for Young Living, were you not told what it was you were selling ? Jasmine absolute or oil, which is it? Rose Otto costs about £3000.00 /Kg, Rose absolute about £1500.00 /Kg. I realise that you have to make a profit, but there are limits.

I don't know why but I looked for this book on Amazon. It was possible to read extracts from it. The first one I read was called "What exactly are Essential oils?" The answer from the book was utter tosh; complete and utter rubbish. Essential oils were described as "the life force of the plant" much like blood is in animals. I would have thought that the closest equivalent to blood in a plant is the liquids that flow through the Phloem and Xylem. Plants make aromatic substances that we call Essential oils for many reasons, and they occur in many different parts of the plant. I cannot believe that such misinformation can be printed and sold. After that first passage, and ignoring the self aggrandising by the author , I gave up. Please, anyone even remotely tempted to read this garbage, please don't.
    Last edited by David Ruskin; 8th September 2016 at 06:21 PM.

Basenotes Junkie

I never slandered the other companies. I simply stated that there may be a reason they are less expensive.
    You said that Eden is probably cheaper "because they are diluted or have synthetic ingredients." I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know whether that constitutes slander, but it's certainly derogatory and uncalled for.

My understanding is that Young Living is a multiple-level-marketing scheme, which means that there are layers of distributors collecting a profit without adding value. Please correct me if I'm wrong. But if this it true, there are many reasons that Eden is cheaper, and you, as a distributor, are one of them.
    Last edited by Toujours Mink; 8th September 2016 at 09:00 PM. Reason: spelling

Young Living and doTerra have pretty much all the characteristic features of a cult. And this should suffice to stay away from them and their products. Besides, sane people stay away from MLM and for a good reason too.

A little sample of their modus operandi:
    A few years ago doTerra bought Robert Pappas, a bloke capable of making chemistry of essential oils the most boring subject ever. They made him into an essential oils rock star. Literally, "essential oils rock star" is the the term they used to introduce him. They used him like a puppet (there are other terms that might spring to my mind) in their holy campaign against the adulterated essential oils that others deceitfully may offer to you. Ironically, when it came to a legal clash of Young Living versus doTerra, Robert Pappas, the EO rock star, has provided a deposition in which he admits both companies kept adulterating their oils.

Red flags, red flags, red flags....
    Last edited by xii; 18th January 2017 at 08:39 AM.

My experience with NOW is that they rarely sell full strength absolute it would be very expensive. I did buy their normal jasmine absolute that says it's diluted that's about 20$ for an ounce. I searched everywhere and didn't find much information on its dilution rate. I found where they want you to think of it as 10% but there was one page on their website that says maybe 5-7%. It is a low-quality stinky jasmine however, I did use up the entire bottle. Many of their cheaper oils like orange basil mint etc. smell good and good prices and many I'm still using. Many of their more expensive ones are so diluted I found them to be not very useful. The patchouli I bought from them went bad like literally turned into poop smell at the 1 yr mark. Inconsitant quality seems to be a hallmark. They are good for burning or baths or household stuff but for perfume, I'm replacing all of them as I can. I am also keeping some of the cheaper ones like orange on hand for when I make "perfume" for my niece lol

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphaea View Post
    You are quite mistaken about NOW essential oils! They have been an established and well thought of commercial distributor of fine EO for far longer than most of the fly-by-night EO companies that you think you are finding on the internet. Just because they have been in all health food stores and are widely distributed throughout the USA, certainly stands as testimony to their reputation and purity.

Most EO distributors will additionally offer blended scent oils and always state this on the label (Aura Cacia included). This in no way demeans their other oils. I have used many of their oils for several decades and have always found them to be top-notch! Being trendy usually signals low grade, not high. I will go with a reputable company any day of the week, and NOW certainly is an exemplary firm! Check out their website for more info:

http://www.nowfoods.com/AboutUs/HistoryofNOW/index.htm

http://www.nowfoods.com/M014133.htm?cat=FAQ
    I really hate to be the one to break it to you, however your post has left me no other choice. I see that you are an advocate for NOW brand in regards to thier essential oils, but the fact is they are not pure oils, and I would encourage anyone, including yourself to run independent testing to see the results for yourself. A study was conducted on over a dozen of the brands oils. They were purchased and sent directly to the UEO for lab testing, and in all of the oils, they were fake. For example in just one 70.84 % was Diethyl phthalate, and the rest was a list of over 20 smaller amounts of chemicals, and alcohols, none of which were the " essential oil" claimed, and many were unidentified. Every single oil came back as Fraudulent Oil. As a matter of fact there is a class action lawsuit against the Mother corporation to which NOW is part of, from where they obtain thier oils. There are several brands that sell the very same oils, but just have different labels on them. I will say one of the biggest indicators on whether or not your getting a fraudulent oil would be the cost. If you look at a reputable supplier for something like Rose Geranium, and then look at NOW or the other brands that are from that same supplier, there is roughly about a $100 - $200 difference in the cost in say a 4 oz. Bottle. A 4 oz. Bottle of Rose geranium should be relatively as little as $125 Definitely not $19.99. Now with all that said, nothing I have stated is unprovable, you can see this for yourself... Take any bottle of NOW essential oils and have it tested at an independent lab, or even send it to UEO yourself. You can also see the difference in price by looking on Amazon or through there own website, and a reputable supplier such as https://www.newdirectionsaromatics.com. I have no affiliation with that company, that is just what one I can think of at the moment that I know, trust, and use. By the way you defend NOW essential oils, and product's, it does make me suspicious that perhaps you work for them? Hmmm it does make one wonder. In any case, if you are going to spend money on Essential oils, know that you get what you pay for, Essential oils are not cheap, and if they are, it is Fraudulent. If you are paying alot for them, then it would be worth having them tested to be sure you aren't throwing your money down the drain, and getting ripped off. As consumers you have a right to protect your money.