Code of Conduct

Default FAT ELECTRICIAN - Semi-Modern Vetiver from ELDO

The new ELDO scent Fat Electrician hasn't been discussed here, so I thought I would mention it.

Here is an extract from The Scented Salamander (http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds...electri.html):

The "semi-modern vetiver" fragrance was composed by perfumer Antoine Maisondieu. According to Etat Libre d'Orange, the perfumer wanted the perfume to be white, metallic, "silvery like the ancestral green of olive leaves." Its other main characteristics are to be regressive, gourmand, and "addictive like a crème de marron" with notes of vanilla bean, opoponax and myrrhe etc. The composition is described as being extremely concentrated, resinous, and uncompromisingly rough.

The name "Fat Electrician" is explained in part by a reference to a top note that develops as "an electric whiff" before seguing into an accord of "fat eroticism" where the flesh is said to be aplenty illustrated by a "fat, silvery vetiver". "Fat Electrician" is also simply inspired by the visual of the "plumber's crack" or "plumber's butt" in American English.

Parisians can expect to see Fat Electrician by the beginning of March 2009. International distribution is not expected to take place at this point.

Anyone curious about it?

Default Re: FAT ELECTRICIAN - Semi-Modern Vetiver from ELDO

I'm very curious about it.
    I have come to think that ELDO do themselves no favors with the arch marketing approach. I have a feeling it keeps people from trying a House that I've come to realize over the last few months puts out some excellent moderately priced perfumes.
    Fat Electrician will be getting a try from me as soon as The Perfumed Court starts selling decants.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

"an electric whiff" for me evokes memories of ozone and baked plastic.
    Last edited by kbe; 17th May 2009 at 03:38 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    I'm very curious about it.
    I have come to think that ELDO do themselves no favors with the arch marketing approach. I have a feeling it keeps people from trying a House that I've come to realize over the last few months puts out some excellent moderately priced perfumes.
    Fat Electrician will be getting a try from me as soon as The Perfumed Court starts selling decants.
    Agree with you.

Basenotes Plus

I've ordered a sample from Les Senteurs and Im waiting with baited breath.
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Sounds interesting. ELDO has come up with some really silly names, this one is up there. I guess their concepts are inspired by Pop Art, right?
    The French have an unusual sense of humor.

The ELDO perfumes sort of scare me. I don't really like to have to work to appreciate my fragrances, and the whole yin/yang thing they do with their fragrances, trying to pair opposite notes or masculine/feminine notes just doesn't appeal to me. For all I know their fragrances could be amazing, but thus far I have not tried them, and to be quite honest, I don't think I would like any if I did. That being said, I do love vetiver, so I will test this new one when I get a chance.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by libertine View Post
    I've ordered a sample from Les Senteurs and Im waiting with baited breath.
    I ordered a sample from them, too! Along with Tom of Finland and Bendelirious.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Finally testing this one! The first impression was quite disturbing and made my nose curl but now that it has settled down a bit, I quite like it. Cool metallic vetiver with some sweetness lurking underneath. Wonder what the final drydown will be like...

I think ELd'O frags are just brilliant ! ... There are far more that I like, amongst them, than ones I dislike. ... And quite a few that I like very much ! ... And even the ones that I am not too fond of, I can still appreciate their compositions. ...
    And they really are excellently priced for their superior quality !

I can't wait to get my nose on that Fat Electrician's "crack" ! (LOL) ...
    It's sounds very much like yet another that I might just enjoy ! ... Though I am quite surprised that it is another vetiver centric one. As Bendelirious , their previous most recent one, was quite vetiver-y too (although quite subtle).

I have just ordered their sample set of 17. ( Woo Hoo !!! ) ... (But unfortunately Fat Electrician is not amongst them).
    Last edited by Sybarite; 14th June 2009 at 12:26 PM.

And I also really don't understand how there can be so many people, that find them offensive enough to avoid. (As I have noticed quite a few people mentioning that they find their whole image offensive).
    I mean really ... they seriously need to lighten up, and find themselves a sense of humour !!! . ... I think they are quite mild and kinda "juvenile" at very most ! At least they have an original approach! ... But offensive ??? ... Pu-lease !!! (And this, just because one or two boxes have a pic of a, er ... "very happy willy" on them ! ) ... Personally I think if people are going to avoid excellent frags on this basis alone. Then they totally deserve to miss out on them ! ... Cool, just more exclusivity for us lot that appreciate them ! ... (I can only imagine the controversy that they have caused over in the States. I am pretty sure that they've probably insisted on different "sanatised" packaging ! )

I tried this fragrance in Paris and wasn't terribly impressed. I can tell you that it does not smell much like vetiver. It's VERY resinous and has a strong metallic tinge to it as well. Different, for sure. Something I'd want to wear? Not really.

Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post
    And I also really don't understand how there can be so many people, that find them offensive enough to avoid. (As I have noticed quite a few people mentioning that they find their whole image offensive).
    I mean really ... they seriously need to lighten up, and find themselves a sense of humour !!! . ... I think they are quite mild and kinda "juvenile" at very most ! At least they have an original approach! ... But offensive ??? ... Pu-lease !!! (And this, just because one or two boxes have a pic of a, er ... "very happy willy" on them ! ) ... Personally I think if people are going to avoid excellent frags on this basis alone. Then they totally deserve to miss out on them ! ... Cool, just more exclusivity for us lot that appreciate them ! ... (I can only imagine the controversy that they have caused over in the States. I am pretty sure that they've probably insisted on different "sanatised" packaging ! )
    Sadly, from the uniform look of the bottles at lucky scent, the US bottles don't have the "offensive" labels.

Looking forward to this, though being in the US will complicate matters. With regard to ELDO's marketing, I find it refreshing and fun that at least one house can be silly and not act so fanct pants with their product. I find complaints about ELDO's crasness interesting because nearly every house is 'selling sex' in one way or another, but when ELDO makes a parody of it, it's crass. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post
    I think ELDO would have been able to get away with more, except for the fact that lots of people absolutely DESPISE SM. It smelled offensive to lots of people. I really disliked it, but I try to keep an open mind and somehow I find the whole fat electrician thing to be interesting. But I think when a house makes a sense that many find to be vile, lots of people will stay clear of their other offerings. Yes, I will try them, but I don't really put them in the front of the queue, or even close, for the most part.

I wouldn't wear it for the simple fact that if I were asked what I was wearing, I'd be very embarassed.

Quote Originally Posted by rinosaur View Post
    I wouldn't wear it for the simple fact that if I were asked what I was wearing, I'd be very embarassed.
    I would wear it, because if someone called me a Fat Electrician, well, that would be the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me!

I think ELDO would have been able to get away with more, except for the fact that lots of people absolutely DESPISE SM. It smelled offensive to lots of people. I really disliked it, but I try to keep an open mind and somehow I find the whole fat electrician thing to be interesting. But I think when a house makes a sense that many find to be vile, lots of people will stay clear of their other offerings. Yes, I will try them, but I don't really put them in the front of the queue, or even close, for the most part.
    Yeah, I agree with you completely. I do think it has been "Secritions Magnifiques" that has caused them the most grief. Both from it's packaging and, obviously, from the scent itself. I can appreciate how someone would not particularly want to smell like that. But oddly enough, I also don't think it is anywhere near as bad as everybody made it out to be. ... It does however take a little getting used to though. I found that after repeated sampling (and my nose adjusting to the scent somewhat). That it did actually start to become much more pleasant. Though still definitely not something I would want a full bottle of. The "iodine" in it, was just a little too strong and unfriendly. ... But as a concept it was just pure genius, and excellently executed too ! ... And as "Shermanirving" mentioned above : a perfect and amusing parody of the "sex" side of fragrances in general. I too think that their whole concept is very refreshing, and quite "spot-on" !

As for Fat Electrician ... I suppose it could be quite embarrasing to reply "Fat Electrician" if asked "what are you wearing". But surly, only if (or especially if ?) you just happen to be a "fat electrician" ! ....

I can't even imagine what a mix of "metallic and resinous" would smell like. (another reason I admire their scents, for their often "odd" and original "combinations"). ...
    But if it contains some vetiver and vanilla in (lots, I hope), and is "very resinous". Then it certainly sounds like something I will enjoy !
    I always welcome a certain amount of "oddness" in a scent, as it lends scents a different interest ! (And not that I think their scents are particularly odd actually. They are mostly quite "tame", really ! Or much more so than what one would expect from their image).

I always put them front of my "to try" list. As I know that I am at very least guaranteed something interesting to sample !

I'm not at all surprised that you guys in the States have the plain bottles and boxes (a quite "puritanical" and sad state of affairs, indeed ! ... It really should be down to the individual, if he wants to avoid them or not. Not have them avoided for him !)

I have a sample of everything from the house (minus this one of course) and have only come across maybe 3 or 4 that the gf and I enjoy, though none have really jumped out as a show stopper. The metallic note that people have been finding in this one seems to be present in at least half of the rest of their offerings. For both of us, it is really unpleasant and even hints at triggering the gag reflex. I could care less about their image (though the gf makes me not tell her what they're called so as to not trivialize them ), but I'm left somewhat disappointed by the actual fragrances and I think most of that has to do with the weird metallic tinge mentioned in this one.
    Last edited by jrd4t; 15th June 2009 at 12:11 AM.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Blog Entries

It is the Creed metallic tinge (like they use in Millesime Imperial)? Or is it the YSL L'Homme ozone thing? Or something completely different?
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    It is the Creed metallic tinge (like they use in Millesime Imperial)? Or is it the YSL L'Homme ozone thing? Or something completely different?
    It's not like the Creed one to me, but closer to the smell on your hand after handling old brass.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Default Fat Electrician

Yesterday I read about a new fragrance by Etat Libre d’Orange, “Fat Electrician” (take a look at the funny label, please). The list of notes sounds interesting. Is there someone who tried it? Is a good vetiver?

Oddly I called a friend in Paris and they said its not at the ELDO boutique in Paris yet, which doesn't make sense if its available elsewhere. Anyone see a bottle in Paris.

I found the immediate top notes of Fat Electrician a bit off-putting, but it soon settled down into an interesting cool metallic vetiver. I liked the cold vanilla drydown very much, it reminded me of well-chilled vanilla vodka more than ice cream.

It's available at Les Senteurs in London http://shop.lessenteurs.com/

Just got my sample from luckyscent and I'm very, very pleased with Fat Electrician.

It starts off with a nice, sharp, green vetiver note that is soon joined by a subtle background of vanilla. I was wondering how these two seemingly discordant notes were going to work together, but for whatever reason it really works well in FE. Bottle worthy fo sho....

I tried at BeautyBar for me it smells like that "milky green" found in CdG Calamus but instead of the leaves throw some vetiver instead, it is a really interesting take on vetiver. Definitely try it before buying it, it's not for everybody...
    By the way I'm new in Basenotes and hello to all cool people here !!!

Quote Originally Posted by b3t0_1972 View Post
    I tried at BeautyBar for me it smells like that "milky green" found in CdG Calamus but instead of the leaves throw some vetiver instead, it is a really interesting take on vetiver. Definitely try it before buying it, it's not for everybody...
    By the way I'm new in Basenotes and hello to all cool people here !!!
    Welcome to BN!

i just ordered a sample from luckyscent...

Quote Originally Posted by heynow View Post
    Just got my sample from luckyscent and I'm very, very pleased with Fat Electrician.

It starts off with a nice, sharp, green vetiver note that is soon joined by a subtle background of vanilla. I was wondering how these two seemingly discordant notes were going to work together, but for whatever reason it really works well in FE. Bottle worthy fo sho....
    Sounds very interesting...the closest thing I've found to vetiver-love was Lutens Vetiver Oriental as it was a completely different take on the ingredient...still seemed to be missing something though. This might be the one!

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    Sounds very interesting...the closest thing I've found to vetiver-love was Lutens Vetiver Oriental as it was a completely different take on the ingredient...still seemed to be missing something though. This might be the one!
    The vetiver note is far more distinct in FE then the vetiver in VO, but the contrast/balance iwth vailla, particularly in the drydown, is definitely unique. Even lonf into the vanillic base I was catching whiffs of vetiver.

The vetiver note is far more distinct in FE then the vetiver in VO, but the contrast/balance iwth vailla, particularly in the drydown, is definitely unique. Even lonf into the vanillic base I was catching whiffs of vetiver.
    Looking forward to trying it...hopefully it lands here soon. I'm a big ELDO fan regardless, but this sounds very unique.

Basenotes Institution

Is the vanilla sweet and foody?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Is the vanilla sweet and foody?
    Not really at all, it is far more subtle. The closest vanilla I can think of is Montale Chypre Vanille.

I have to say ... I just received this in my samples from Luckyscent and really, really don't like it.

Just my 2 cents ...

The description is scary. The perfume is not. Turns out to be the most wearable ELDO to date. Very pleasant to my nose. Do I want a whole bottle? No. Would I enjoy a 10-15ml decant? Yes.

Basenotes Institution

A gourmand vetiver with a metallic twinge. Gosh, it does sound scary.

I don't get the 'metallic' twinge people are describing... is that a reference to the sharpness of the vetiver? What sounds odd on paper happens to work well. Most vetivers have something to balance the pungency of the vetiver: Guerlain has tobacco, many use citrus.... ELDO uses vanilla and for some reason it works and smells totally normal.

Having spent the last 10 days sampling every scent in the ELDO line, I've got to say that in general they are creative, wearable fragrances that aren't very expensive. Reviewers seem focused on the fact that the marketing is so wild, but I think the marketing is supposed to be a goof on other houses. Of the 20 or so ELDOs I've tried I'd want bottles of about 10 of them.... a much higher % for me then most other houses.

Having spent the last 10 days sampling every scent in the ELDO line, I've got to say that in general they are creative, wearable fragrances that aren't very expensive. Reviewers seem focused on the fact that the marketing is so wild, but I think the marketing is supposed to be a goof on other houses. Of the 20 or so ELDOs I've tried I'd want bottles of about 10 of them.... a much higher % for me then most other houses.
    I agree about the line: great scents, excelllent value for money. I have so far eight ELd'O scents and two more (Bendelirious and Fat Electrician) are on my wishlist.

Agreed. I have Nombril Immense, Encens & Bubblegum, Vraie Blond, and Bendilirious. Had to hold back on buying Rossy de Palma, and now wanting FE.

Great scent - no other vetiver smells alike!
    Carlo Corinto or Bois 1920 could be its predecessors
    My 3yrs son likes its sweet sillage on me
    Vetiver The Great!!!

One of the reviews mentioned grapefruit on the drydown... anyone else get that? I certainly did, sweet, warm, peppery grapefruit.

I don't get grapefruit, no, but then again I don't have that mature of a nose. I've owned this one for a couple of months now and it's easily in my top 10. I'm a huge vetiver fan and own quite a few of the superior ones (Vetiver Extraordinaire, Vetiver Oriental, Original Vetiver, Guerlain Vetiver) - but this one (FE) is totally unique. It's like no other vetiver I've ever experienced. I don't know if it's the sweetness or what, it's just brilliant (IMO). I've almost convinced myself that I need to go ahead and procure 2 or 3 backup bottles.

As much as I enjoy FE, I'm going to have to let it go in the classifieds. Great deal on FE if you want it!

Dependent

I just got a sample of this. GOOD. Feels like a Tom Of Finland (the scent, not the character) meets Vetiver, IMO. They both have a nice powdery sweetness.
    Last edited by MFJ; 18th December 2010 at 07:47 PM.

Basenotes Institution

I finally smelled this one, when I was in NY at New London Pharmacy. I loved it, which I assumed I would. I am such a fan of vetiver, it's hard for me not to warm to a new vetiver scent. Still, this has a sweet uniqueness to it that held me in its spell the entire time I sniffed it on my right wrist. It, and Noel au Balcon, are on my To Buy list.