Code of Conduct

Default Help in prioritizing

Due to my recent interest in fragrances, I've got the urge to get as many bottles as possible but obviously it would not be healthy for my wallet (and marriage). Also, I'd like to have fragrances that I can wear without thinking that each spritz is too expensive (except for special occasions).

So, I build a list of interesting fragrances, but I need to prioritize them. Here is where I'd love to have the input from BNers as some of them may smell too similar or just not worth the price. Or you can also see this problem as "If you only have $100 to spend for fragrances, what would they be?"

The list of the fragrances in alphabetical order and their approximate prices:

Aigner Black EDT 4.2oz ($33)
    Antonio Banderas Blue Seduction 3.4oz ($16)
    Azzaro Bright Visit EDT 3.4oz (tester) ($25)
    Azzaro Pour Homme EDT 3.4oz ($25)
    Azzaro Silver Black EDT 3.4oz (tester) ($22)
    Bulgari Aqua EDT 3.4oz (tester) ($30)
    Bulgari Pour Homme EDT 3.4oz (tester) ($26)
    Escada Magnetism for Men EDT 3.4oz ($28)
    Cartier Declaration Limited Edition EDT 3.4oz ($35)
    Iceberg Twice Homme EDT 4.2oz ($18)
    KARL LAGERFELD Photo EDT 3.4oz ($27)
    Lomani Ignition for Men EDT 3.4oz ($13)
    Nicole Miller for Men EDT 2.5oz ($20)
    Pierre Balmain BalMan EDT 3.4oz (tester) ($11)
    ROMEO GIGLI Man EDT 3.4oz ($26)
    SONIA RYKIEL Homme EDT 4.2oz (tester) ($15)
    Van Cleef & Arpels Tsar EDT 3.4oz (tester) ($37)
    Versace Blue Jeans EDT 2.5oz (tester) ($15)
    YSL Live Jazz EDT 3.4oz (tester) ($30)
    YSL Opium Pour Homme EDT 3.4oz ($34)

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by zliang; 1st May 2009 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Some changes to the list

Default Re: Help in prioritizing

Just got news that Agua de Sandalo is out of stock. Sigh.

There are some great suggestions in this previous, similar thread:

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=221293

Good reading!

Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    There are some great suggestions in this previous, similar thread:

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=221293
    Thanks, but I don't have the luxury of access to most fragrances mentioned in the thread (and also their price points). That's why I compile the list of available fragrances that interest me (which may no longer available at time goes).
    Last edited by zliang; 1st May 2009 at 05:00 PM.

FYI, I've got Azzaro Chrome and YSL Kouros.

I've never smelled any of the fragrances you listed, but my question is, have you? Which do you like best? They all seem like really good deals, but none of them would be a good buy if you didn't like them. If you haven't smelled them yet, I'd suggest you get to the store (or you can get samples online) and start spraying! Then you can make the call for yourself.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by rem_dreams View Post
    I've never smelled any of the fragrances you listed, but my question is, have you? Which do you like best?
    That's actually the main issue. Most of them are not available in most department stores. I have tried some of them but only on paper, so I can't really know how the scent develops and lasts on my skin.

Perhaps I should rephrase the problem. Are there any fragrances in the list that I shouldn't miss? Based on what I read here, I think Azzaro PH is one of them.

Of those on that list I've tried, I only felt really drawn to Azzaro PH.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Of those on that list I've tried, I only felt really drawn to Azzaro PH.
    Based on your and other's recommendation, I'll be getting Azzaro PH (and BalMan) in a few days. Thanks.

Dependent

hope its not too late, but aigner black is wonderful. love it. you should consider trying it out

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    hope its not too late, but aigner black is wonderful. love it. you should consider trying it out
    It's never too late for a recommendation (as long as it's still available). Thanks.

I've tried that one and quite liked it. How's the longevity and sillage for our kind of weather?

Blog Entries

Out of your list the only one's I've tried are the Bvlgaris. I liked pour homme, but absolutely love Aqva. I wear it most days. It's still my best purchase, and I found is a great deal at ~$30.

You mentioned you have Chrome. I loved the way it smelled on the card, but it reacted badly on my skin and smelled awful.
    Last edited by Tarheel Golfer; 16th May 2009 at 04:45 PM. Reason: additional info

Hillaire

I like the Aigner Black and the Tsar. But the Tsar is a old school gentleman's scent, not for everyone.

I think Azzaro Pour Homme was a great choice. Have you received it yet and, if so, how do you like it?

For the rest of your $100, I would pick two or three of the following:
    Bulgari Pour Homme EDT 3.4oz (tester) ($26)
    Cartier Declaration Limited Edition EDT 3.4oz ($35)
    ROMEO GIGLI Man EDT 3.4oz ($26)
    Versace Blue Jeans EDT 2.5oz (tester) ($15)
    YSL Live Jazz EDT 3.4oz (tester) ($30)
    YSL Opium Pour Homme EDT 3.4oz ($34)
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by zliang View Post
    It's never too late for a recommendation (as long as it's still available). Thanks.

I've tried that one and quite liked it. How's the longevity and sillage for our kind of weather?
    I was pleasantly surprised at how humidity did not take its toll while i was wearing it. alot of scent i know of the genre have the tendency to go sour on skin in our climate, but not for black. longevity 5-6hours, sillage moderate... but still really worth it, coz its not a scent you want to overwhelm those around with. btw i usually get blue jeans for about 15-20sgd(non-testers) from a coty importer. and imma "bvlgari groupie" so id really recommend those too

Paul, great suggestions, i myself am looking at getting the declaration, romeo gigli and opium(this is one ive been considering for sometime, had a sampler quite a while ago but it only did well in office, when i had to take a 10 min walk for lunch at a hawker, boy, i got back to office i had most of it wiped off my neck and wrist and sprayed on some cool water from my decant, masked really well. hate to whine about the weather, but yeah thats pretty much how it is lol)
    Last edited by MFJ; 17th May 2009 at 07:26 PM.

I would personally have considered Opium PH and Cartier Declaration.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by thgolfer View Post
    You mentioned you have Chrome. I loved the way it smelled on the card, but it reacted badly on my skin and smelled awful.
    its the skin chemistry i reckon, i usually try to sample on skin, the dry down on test strips are usually pretty inaccurate from my experience. its the combination heat and moisture and of course body chems from skin that gives the clearer results from top to bottom notes. thats what im told.