Code of Conduct

Question Rejected/Defect Perfumes

Hi,

I have been looking to buy perfumes on the internet, and in Malaysia, I've come across a few sites that claim to sell 'original reject/defect perfumes' (these perfumes are NOT testers, they are the 'real deal but with physical defects' ). They 'define' them as perfumes that were rejected during manufacturing OR shipping, because of scratches etc (i.e physical deformities) on the bottle, but that the perfume inside is genuine and wholly authentic. They liken the whole business to clothes that are rejected (you know the clothes that are sold at the factory outlets with their labels/tags cut-off...)

My question is, do these reject/defect perfumes exist? Do the perfume houses and their manufacturing plants allow these defects/rejects to be sold? Or do they destroy them rather than allow them to be sold? Because the funny thing is that, all of this 'reject/defect' perfumes are sold 'almost' exclusively only in Malaysia, and I have not seen them anywhere on any site in Europe/US.

Comments especially from those who are either working in the perfume industry or perfume manufacturers is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by lokiju; 16th May 2009 at 12:23 PM.

Default Re: Rejected/Defect Perfumes

Mostly they said it is reject from Europe Market. Maybe any Europe friend can give ur opinion?

Have never heard of any rejected perfume here in Europe.
    unico grande amore.

I won't take the risk. I was tempted to get a few fr the sellers at lowyatt forums but i rather pay a lil more for the real thing.

Why not u go for the slightly cheaper ones at Just Parfum and SASA? So far i have bought quite a few from Just Parfum and no problems whatsoever. their stock is a older but authentic but should not be a prob. Its cheaper than perfumes at Parkson, Metro 7 Jusco.

Actually i'm quite curious bout the reject/defect perfumes...there seems to be vast quantities of these reject/defect stuff being sold online in malaysia. But can the quality control be so terrible that so much rejected/defect stuff gets churned out? or is there something fishy here?
    Last edited by JoNnY 4; 16th May 2009 at 04:05 PM.

Dependent

they certainly do exist in our part of the world. and its really not uncommon. your best bet is to really get from legit retailers online or not. albeit the higer prices, but so justifies assurance. take Jon's advice.

There are many here as well. I prefer to avoid them.

Blog Entries

The first thing is to compare the price for this "defect/reject" bottle to the "official" fragrance sold by one of the internet suppliers already suggested. A few posts down in this discussion I see someone who paid more for a fragrance at an outlet store than the mall department stores are charging.

The second thing to to is look at the e-tailers at the bottom of the City Shopping Guide discussion to see if the supplier of these "defect/reject" fragrances has been discussed.

If the supplier of "defect/reject" fragrances hasn't caused anyone problems, and if the price is less than 1/2, and if you can compare to the smell the "official" fragrance at a bricks and morter store, I'd try it.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Wüst View Post
    Have never heard of any rejected perfume here in Europe.
    Im not for certain, but i reckon there are, not that i have any proof whatsoever, but then again rejects are everywhere, considering smaller retailers who may not be as honest. im very sure the EU has very much tighter controls, likewise in SIngapore, but still there are dodgy shops that deal with them. just my 2 cents
    Last edited by MFJ; 16th May 2009 at 07:08 PM.

Why would they fill up a defective bottle in the first place?

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Why would they fill up a defective bottle in the first place?
    From what i know, its not that the bottle was defective pre-filled, but that during handling/delivery etc, some bottles that have already been filled and packed have been dented or have faults such as broken caps, faulty astomizer sprays etc.

I've seen partially filled bottles. I wouldn't worry about that, but I'm surprised that I haven't come across defective bottles, considering how many there should be, if in fact they are not simply destroyed by the company and not sold in any market.

Dependent

again just my reckoning and from hear say, its not that companies don't get rid of them, but as with alot of luxury items that go into the black market, some are just taken off the record by staff, and offered to those retailers willing to take the risk with them. im just guessing the "market" in parts of se asia adopt different morals compared to those you are exposed to in the west... well the whole piracy on dvds is another topic that can be easily related to.
    Last edited by MFJ; 16th May 2009 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    From what i know, its not that the bottle was defective pre-filled, but that during handling/delivery etc, some bottles that have already been filled and packed have been dented or have faults such as broken caps, faulty astomizer sprays etc.
    A local seller debunked that claim by showing the packaging for shipping.

For some products, there are three boxes protecting them: the outermost carton, the smaller carton per 3 bottles, and the product box.

He also showed that what can happen to an old stock is the deterioration of the product box. Those "defective bottles" are usually sold without the boxes.

Note: obviously, this explanation may be biased as there is the conflict of interest.

BTW, is it normal for a fragrance with metal packaging to form rust?

Dependent

There you go