Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Talking Green to Go- Spring for it!

This time of year I get a powerful urge for the GREENS. Reading Leesa's post on figs made me think maybe we could dredge up some suggestions of some favorite greens for her & other green lovers (like myself) to try. I am always looking for new ones to check out.

Last year after chasing my tail for 2 mos. I came to find that Azuree was my favorite to wear this time of year. I wore it in high school 30yrs ago! Shocking that people can actually live this long. Anyway, as it turns out this is damn good juice. I just got a back-up today for... wait for it 2oz/$37! It's so good. It just completes my Springtime enjoyment.

Some others are:
    Ormonde Jayne: Woman
    Nazomato: Absolute Absinthe
    Mazzolari: Vetiver
    Le Malle: Vetiver Extraodinare
    'O' De Lancome
    Vivara (vintage)
    E. Lauder Private Collections (vintage)
    Dioressence

To name a few. What about you, what are your best greens?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kumquat; 18th May 2009 at 10:18 PM.

Default Re: Green to Go- Spring for it!

My favorite greens are

CdG Calamus
    Sel de Vetiver
    Chanel no 19
    Chanel Bel Respiro
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

Annick Goutal Eau de Camille. This scent always reminds me of the first bright, young green leaves that come out in early spring.

I always love to see discussions of green scents.
    Here's three I enjoy.
    Sisley Eau de Campagne
    Miller & Bertaux's EDP #3 Green, green, green and green
    Geo. F. Trumper's Wild Fern
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I like green fragrances that aren't too sweet. Bel Respiro or 'O' de Lancome turn to candy on my skin, as do many other modern green scents. Some that I love:
    Crown Fougere
    Trumper's Wild Fern
    Crown Eau de Quinine
    Bulgari Eau de The Vert (not traditionally green, but lovely)
    Creed Green Irish Tweed

That just scratches the surface. But it's 100F and my brain is too addled to think of more.
    Don a wig of larks and fly!

Some are greener than others; my favorites:
    Le Temps d'une fête
    Philosykos

Ormonde Woman
    Chamade
    Chanel 19
    l'Heure exquise

and get ready for this...
    Envy

[I love Un sel de vetiver and other vetivers but they don't smell green to me. They are for me a very different mood.]
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 18th May 2009 at 01:20 PM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

At the moment I've really fallen for L'ombre dans l'eau!

Blog Entries

Here's an interesting revival article on 'O' de Lancome:

http://www.osmoz.com/News-Trends/Swe...n/O-DE-LANCOME

DSH Viridian.
    Eau d'Sisley 2

Oh and Duc de Vervins if you don't mind a cologne.

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    I always love to see discussions of green scents.
    Here's three I enjoy.
    Sisley Eau de Campagne
    Miller & Bertaux's EDP #3 Green, green, green and green
    Geo. F. Trumper's Wild Fern
    I will thank odysseusm for adding two to my to-try list and offer an old favourite, which, claims foetidus, is "one of the defining openings in men’s designer fragrances.... That sparkling citrus-juniper blast hits like the double gin gimlet it olfactorily echoes. Very fresh, very bright, and meadowland green."

I can only agree with pleasure.

To wit: Geoffrey Beene's Bowling Green.

Quote Originally Posted by awayalonealong View Post
    I will thank odysseusm for adding two to my to-try list and offer an old favourite, which, claims foetidus, is "one of the defining openings in men’s designer fragrances.... That sparkling citrus-juniper blast hits like the double gin gimlet it olfactorily echoes. Very fresh, very bright, and meadowland green."

I can only agree with pleasure.

To wit: Geoffrey Beene's Bowling Green.
    Thanks for this. BG is often cited as a classic. I tried it often in my inexperienced BN days but it didn't entirely convince me. I need to try it again -- thanks for whetting my appetite here. We learn and grow.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Chanel 19 edt
    Duc de Vervins
    Knize Forest
    ~ Anais ~

Another for No. 19, and I will add Heure Exquise. These are the most rarefied greens. Lauder's greens are country-club greens and speak now to a dwindling segment of American society that was formerly so heavily featured in classic Lauder ads. Lauder went for the aspirationally patrician, whereas the French greens were totems of the type of woman for whom chic was not striving, a woman who would never fall victim to grass-is-always-greener advertising philosophy.

Ivoire, No.19, Bath and Bodyworks - Water Blossom Ivy, EA - Green Tea, Cabotine.

Sorry not to be more original. The alternative would have been to be more early!

Bel Respiro
    Chanel No 19
    EL Private Collection
    ByRedo Green (they don't come much greener than this!)
    Eau de Sisley No 3
    AG Eau de Camille
    OJ Woman
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 18th May 2009 at 10:21 AM. Reason: formatting malarkey
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Another vote for Azuree
    Ivoire
    Y
    Le Temp d'une Fete
    Heure Exquise
    Also add probably Aromatics Elixir, Private Collection
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

This is one of the best smelling threads on the forum!
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgie View Post
    This is one of the best smelling threads on the forum!
    Of course! People of taste and distinction recognize the value of a great green scent!
    PS - love senZuality's suggestion of Knize Forest.
    Last edited by odysseusm; 18th May 2009 at 01:29 PM.
    odysseusm

This thread needs some Moroccan Mint Tea
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Blog Entries

a few more to consider:
    Goutal: Eau De Camille
    Ajne: Espoir, Savoir
    Dorsay: Tilleul
    Delrae: Amoureuse, Debut

I was inspired to order Knize:Forest sample from Les Senteurs. What an interesting website.

Of course! People of taste and distinction recognize the value of a great green scent!
    PS - love senZuality's suggestion of Knize Forest.
    Oh, Knize Forest is the ultimate green scent for me. It reminds me of home, of Transylvania's forests. When I was a child I used to go and play in the pine forest near my home. I thought that the pine resins are tears. I was so sad seeing pine trees crying and wasting their essence. So, I was collecting it. And spread it on my arms, I loved the smell (I know!! )
    Knize Forest smells exactly like pine resin.

My husband thinks I'm obsessed with pine cones. We have three pine trees in my backyard and pine cones everywhere in the house. Even in the bathrooms. In eastern cultures the pine cone is associated with positive energy. It's believed that it has refreshing and stress relieving properties.
    ~ Anais ~

Second Kumquat's mention of DelRae Debut - dewy green gorgeousness!
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Ms. Twolf's favorite- Coriandre.

Quote Originally Posted by senZuality View Post
    Oh, Knize Forest is the ultimate green scent for me. It reminds me of home, of Transylvania's forests. When I was a child I used to go and play in the pine forest near my home. I thought that the pine resins are tears. I was so sad seeing pine trees crying and wasting their essence. So, I was collecting it. And spread it on my arms, I loved the smell (I know!! )

My husband thinks I'm obsessed with pine cones. We have three pine trees in my backyard and pine cones everywhere in the house. Even in the bathrooms. In eastern cultures the pine cone is associated with positive energy. It's believed that it has refreshing and stress relieving properties.
    Your story is a beautiful one. Like you, I love pine cones, and cones of other evergreens. When I was a child, I thought the sap was the way that the trees were sharing their fragrance with me. I would collect the sap 'pearls' as if they were precious gems.

We have cedars, firs, redwoods, and pines, including some Italian stone pines with massive pine cones (and tasty nuts!) Every Christmas, the entire house is decorated with all the different cones in the hundreds. I put gold and silver leaf on some of them, and even mica and glass glitter on others, as well as those that remain an naturel. The fragrances is so uplifting.
    Don a wig of larks and fly!

Quote Originally Posted by senZuality View Post

Truly, here is a kindred soul! Thanks for these beautiful thoughts! You are an honorary conehead!
    odysseusm

Quote Originally Posted by Merbert View Post
    Your story is a beautiful one. Like you, I love pine cones, and cones of other evergreens. When I was a child, I thought the sap was the way that the trees were sharing their fragrance with me. I would collect the sap 'pearls' as if they were precious gems.

We have cedars, firs, redwoods, and pines, including some Italian stone pines with massive pine cones (and tasty nuts!) Every Christmas, the entire house is decorated with all the different cones in the hundreds. I put gold and silver leaf on some of them, and even mica and glass glitter on others, as well as those that remain an naturel. The fragrances is so uplifting.
    Beautiful Christmas atmosphere! I can smell it
    ~ Anais ~

Truly, here is a kindred soul! Thanks for these beautiful thoughts! You are an honorary conehead!
    Thank you, odysseusm, I promise I would never dishonor coneheads "fraternity"!
    ~ Anais ~

Quote Originally Posted by Merbert View Post
    Well Merbert, you are an honorary conehead too! These are lovely thoughts, and you've awakened a marvellous memory for me. Being in Turkey (Pergamum/Bergama), watching men with incredibly tall sticks shake the trees to harvest pine nuts.
    odysseusm

Follow-up to Merbert ... you said it was 100F and your brain was too addled (lovely word!) to add more. HAH -- it is +2 C and lightly snowing here. A rather dysfunctional spring.
    And to senZuality -- well on behalf of awayalonealong, Dimitri, and my other fellow coneheads -- I've always thought that pine appreciation is a community, not just a fraternity So we simply say, welcome.
    Don't want to limit the green discussion to pine... thanks for your tolerance, one and all Pine people are passionate!
    odysseusm

Follow-up to Merbert ... you said it was 100F and your brain was too addled (lovely word!) to add more. HAH -- it is +2 C and lightly snowing here. A rather dysfunctional spring.
    And to senZuality -- well on behalf of awayalonealong, Dimitri, and my other fellow coneheads -- I've always thought that pine appreciation is a community, not just a fraternity So we simply say, welcome.
    Don't want to limit the green discussion to pine... thanks for your tolerance, one and all Pine people are passionate!
    Oh, ok, I didn't know that is a coneheads community here! I'm honored to be a member. Thank you
    ~ Anais ~

Blog Entries

I thought I would start this up again as there has been some green talk since the Sniff n' Speak.

I wanted to thank Odysseum for his suggestion of Eau de Campagne.

My husband has been wearing it, and while the opening is fresh and zingy with greens,
    the dri-down is just elegant and smooth.
    We both looked at each other, noticing it for the first time in the car together.
    "Wow, Is that you?" "Yeah, I think so. Isn't it great!" (We have scintillating conversations like this often.)

Last edited by kumquat; 16th July 2009 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgie View Post
    ...[I love Un sel de vetiver and other vetivers but they don't smell green to me. They are for me a very different mood.]
    I agree with this. Sel de Vetiver is a favorite of mine, but I don't get any "green" from it.

Some greens that I've been loving: OJ Woman, Y, Ivoire, Eau de Cartier, Sabi, Fleur de Liane, and Magnolia Romana. I've also tried the Eau de Campagne lotion, and I think it could end up being a favorite

My favourites include Grain de Folie, Tam Dao, SL Vetyver Oriental and Zara's Vetyver. I also like the green series by CdG but I cannot wear it - most die on me within 15 minutes.

Not sure if these qualify as green, but they smell green to me (if that makes sense):
    Cristalle edt
    Spring Flower

I'm planning to get O de Lancome next.

I like YSL Paris Jardin Romantiques-very rosy but seems greenish to me.
    And Molinard de Molinard- though maybe not so good in hot weather.
    Molinard de Molinard can get sticky and heavy (seems to me like a 'wet'ish scent rather than a dry one)- but in cooler weather or on rainy days would be nice. Well, I gave the latter to my mom, but just sayin ...

I would like to add a green or so to my collection. I'll have to work on that
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

Great green suggestions – I’ve made list from this thread of all the new greens to try next year, since now, at the end of July, my season for spring greens gives way to more sultry fragrances.Ormonde Jayne's Woman is the only green sultry enough to survive the summer heat and winter cold.

This spring I tested the following:

MDCI: Un Coeur de Mai, very similar to Chamade and Patricia de Nicolaï’s Le Temps d’une Fête. Fortunately, too sour for me, since it costs a fortunate. The same with the Temps, it emits a sour note on my skin, which is a shame, since it smells great straight from the vial.

Balmain Vent Vert, which I away to a friend who appreciated this more than I did. To me, this fragrance seemed even a little bit aggressive. I was afraid VV was going to embarrass me in public, but my friend was more in control.

Carven: Ma griffe, this an old-fashioned green chypre still going on strong today. There is an interesting thread started by DeeOlive on this scent. I think a have the reformulation, but, hey, it's not half bad.

Ayala Moriel: Ayala Sender does my favourite greens: Grin and Ayalitta. There down-to-earth, no nonsense fumes, which I always wear comfortably. Grin is more on the floral side and Ayalitta a chypre.

Chanel: Also my favorites, but more haughty than Ayala Moriel’s, they also develop in a very interesting way from the first blast of austere meanness to mellow smoothness in the drydown. These include: Cristalle, both edt and edp (the edt is silvery light green, the edp softer yellow-green), Chanel 19 (all business), and Bel Respiro (pure oxygen).

Sisley: Eau de Campagne. This is something all lovers of green frags should try. The drydown is very soft, but the shower gel I have smells very strongly of pickels at first.

Blog Entries

I thought it might be fun to see this green thread again.

Great idea, Kumquat!

I looked at my choices last year, and will add:

CdG Rhubarb
    EL Alliage
    AL Johri
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Blog Entries

Lessa, you allowed me to discover my recent favorite green floral;
    Sonoma Scent Studio - Jour Ensoleille
    It starts out green and luscious with lots of floral action.

From the website:
    A sunny floral chypre with orange blossom, neroli, tuberose, jasmine grandiflorum, labdanum absolute, beeswax absolute, myrrh, sandalwood, ambergris, vetiver, green leaves, oakmoss absolute, aged Indian patchouli. Very gentle as chypres go, with the oakmoss and patchouli notes used softly and with some hay notes in the woodsy drydown. For men as well as women (not strongly floral).

About two hours in, the most subtle, sensuous dry-down, I mean, WOW! If you love a subtle, gentle, greenish floral, it is one of the best ever.
    Last edited by kumquat; 4th March 2010 at 05:49 PM.

Eva Pasco

I find Elaria Gardenia very cool and green.

I can´t think of anything much greener that Balmain´s Vent Vert (if you can find it...). I haven´t smelled the reformulations though; one of the latest was done in 1990 by Calice Becker.

Another one I quite like is Versace´s Versence...and don´t forget about good old Diorella.

I recall Hermès Caleche as very green & clean, but I personally don´t like this one.
    Last edited by musse; 4th March 2010 at 07:56 PM.
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Green is really what I think of with Crown Bouquet by Crown Perfumery.
    Last edited by Primrose; 4th March 2010 at 09:03 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Plus

BIG Plus one for Envy
    Plus for Ivoire, Ma Griffe

LOVE this thread

Blog Entries

Tilleul, Vent Vert, and Chamade EDP do nicely for me.

Basenotes Institution

This is a great thread. I just got another bottle of Aromatics Elixir - for me this is dark,wild green gorgeous !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Hillaire

Greens! My favorite!

I am really enjoying some obscure ones these days, namely:

E. Coudray Givrine, a simple beauty... a creamy green scent -- very key-lime-tart, with athick undertone of rich, fine body creme

E. Coudray (This truly is the rose and green-lover's dream house!) Jacinthe et Rose an unsweetened, leafy cream rose over a glassy, clear, blue-hyacinth bite... with lots of signature fine-lotion drydown

Yves Rocher En Avril un Soir from the sevenites, Yves Rocher's answer -- I suspect -- to No 19 and Ma Griffe: utterly unisex, tonic, bracing and animalic in the drydown. Such a classic fresh offering.

Thymes of London Goldleaf and Hydrangea Oh, good heavens this is nice! The most unforgettable, elegant, metallic, verdant, mossy-green, ladylike prim white-floral ever! Why isn't this a basenotes favorite? Why is this still 40USD a bottle? I LOVE this!

Old stand bys

Silences
    - bitter, chalky, vociferous, bite-your-head-off green
    Niki de Saint Phalle - medicinal, fae, warm-hearted, idiosyncratic green
    Yves Rocher Nature - deep, heavy, zesty, drugged green
    Givenchy III - sophisticated, luminous, unmistakable paradigmatic green
    So Pretty - sparkling, sour, staid, Patrician green chypre
    Eau du Soir - luxurious, slippery, challenging, sylphine green
    Last edited by Hillaire; 5th March 2010 at 12:54 PM.

My favorite 'greens' -

the one and only Vent Vert
    Eau de Soir

Reine

My preferences run to the MILD side of green...Y by YSL, Premiere Figuere by L'Artisan, and Cristalle eau Verte by Chanel.
    I also find the new Issey Miyake A SCENT to be softly green.

Great Springtime thread!

Fantastic thread! Lots of new ideas here. Thanks!
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

I am not usually a fan of the greens, leaning instead toward orientals and earthy roses, but I am learning to love a few.

Bath and Body Works Rainkissed Leaves (on my daughter, though, not me)
    Ava Luxe Moroccan Mint Tea
    Ava Luxe Johri

And the much maligned Sarah Jessica Parker Covet. Yes, really, and it's cheap, too!

Tell me someone else likes Covet.... Hello... (echoes through vast empty spaces)....

Blog Entries

Hi, NeedCoffee, Welcome back. I love your name. I can relate! I liked Covet quite a lot, actually. I wish I liked the drydown more. It seemed to get sort of funky on me. I think if Versace Versense had a little more oomph in the way of Covet and Covet had a little smoother ending as in Versense I like them both better. Too bad. Although I heard there was to be a Versense Intense which I have not seen. (off the subject - sorry).

Great suggestions so far. I came to think of Miss Dior and Sous le Vent in addition to L'ombre dans l'eau (already mentioned)

Quote Originally Posted by NeedCoffee View Post

Tell me someone else likes Covet.... Hello... (echoes through vast empty spaces)....
    I really enjoy Covet, because, although I don't get a dominant "green" sense from it, it's a very nice amber that feels clean, somewhat green, and I can wear in warmer weather more easily than say Coco or Bal a Versailles or other more oriental ambers. Really a great scent for the money.
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by NeedCoffee View Post
    I am not usually a fan of the greens, leaning instead toward orientals and earthy roses, but I am learning to love a few.

Bath and Body Works Rainkissed Leaves (on my daughter, though, not me)
    Ava Luxe Moroccan Mint Tea
    Ava Luxe Johri

And the much maligned Sarah Jessica Parker Covet. Yes, really, and it's cheap, too!

I have seen it on the SOTD threads. Personally, I need to try it again because it is so cheap, oops! I mean reasonably priced. The first time I tried it I got was a huge blast of what smelled like turpentine right off the top and couldn't get past that. I think I am a kinder, gentler sniffer now so thank you for inspiring me to try it again.

Hillaire- fabulous post! When I grow up I want to be able to describe scents just lke you........

No one's mentioned Alliage, Mandragore and Sous le Vent!

The greenies I am loving right now are

Vent Vert (vintage extrait but I like the newer stuff, too!)
    Vintage Miss Dior cologne (very fresh -- costs buttons on ebay!)
    Bandit for evening assignations
    Vol de Nuit EDT -- a very creamy green on me!
    and Un Jardin Sur le Nil: a rather curious green, but a green nonetheless!

Molyneux Quartz is also good -- unfortunately, mine has 'turned'
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Regarding "Covet" -- I am really trying. I bought a bottle last week at Maxx for well, a song. It certainly morphs, doesn't it? Makes three full costume changes. I like the opening notes but am having real trouble with the final ones. They're so screechy-synthetic. And they lasted on my hand through several washings. It's supposed to be some sort of chocolatey amber but it just smells like something in a beaker to me. If it weren't for that I think I'd like the scent.
    Last edited by Olfacta; 8th March 2010 at 12:50 PM.
    Olfacta
    also at http://olfactarama.blogspot.com
    Musings and random thoughts about the genie in the bottle

I've always loved Jean-Louis Scherrer's first scent, often called JLS 1. It's a green chypre. The new Piaguet, "Futur," is very green.
    Silences, vintage "Y" -- lots of scents mentioned in this thread. But I wear greens all through the long humid summers here so, while it's still cool but springish weather, I end up reaching for florals a lot.
    Olfacta
    also at http://olfactarama.blogspot.com
    Musings and random thoughts about the genie in the bottle

Kumquat, one that I have just been sampling and blogged about (see my signature for the link) is Washington Tremlett's Hampstead Water. Its DIVINE! Green, shimmering, lush... everything i want to be smelling as spring approaches!