Code of Conduct

Thread: Almond

Question Almond

Hello,
    I'm having a heck of a time trying to locate almond perfume oil on the internet. My searches keep yielding almond carrier oil. Any ideas?

While I'm at it, do you have any favorite almondy perfumes?

Many thanks,
    Lanna

Default Re: Almond

Welcome, Mitulove!

I love almond as a note, but based on my own (limited) experience with essential oils, I don't believe that there are any almond scent oils - just the carrier oil, which is relatively odorless. Almond seems to be one of those materials that doesn't really respond to the various types of enfleurage.

Demeter makes an almond cologne, which may be your best bet, if you want pure almond without any other notes. The following perfumes also have really lovely almond notes:

Burberry Brit
    Dior Hypnotic Poison
    Guerlain L'Heure Bleue
    Keiko Mecheri Loukhoum
    Serge Lutens Datura Noir
    Serge Lutens Rahat Loukoum

Favorite Notes:
    Rose, Apricot, Violet, Leather, Iris, Blackberry, Saffron, Musk, Incense

I have Caswell-Massey's Natural Therapy Essential Oil in Almond Bitter. Sweet Almond oil has had the bitter removed, I suppose. Almond Bitter is still sharply sweet in an Amaretto way. I put a bit in a small little decant bottle of the sweet oil to smooth on my legs during KM Loukoum days.

Hmmm. Wikipedia says there are two types of almonds--sweet and bitter. The bitter almond has an enzyme which converts a substance 'amygdalin" to glucose, prussic acid, and the essential oil of bitter almond or 'benzaldehyde.' This requires the presence of water and time. It says it will be 6-8% prussic acid AKA hydrogen cyanide, and goes on to note it used to be used medicinally but that a small dose had severe effects and a large dose was deadly. Heh, heh....and that the cyanide must be removed prior to consumption.

Well, YIKES!

Perhaps it might be best to go for something synthetic in this case--pure benzaldehyde! www.KingArthurFlour.com sells an ounce of extra strong oil for flavoring breads and candy. It is "artificial" so must be benzaldhyde produced some other way. Anyway, it shouldn't be poison or I'll have a thing or two to say to Arthur and I won't care if he is King!
    Last edited by Shycat; 5th February 2007 at 02:19 AM.

Try Jour de Fête by L'Artisan and also Premier Figuier Extrême. Both contains almond.
    Hynotic Poison is the best for an almond fix

I know that there is an already existing ALMOND NOTE thread with lots of great suggestions. My fave almond scents include:

Hypnotic Poison
    Le Baiser du Dragon
    Gloria
    Initial
    Datura Noir
    Pi
    Miss Me
    Lolita Lempicka
    Magnetism
    (although this has a lot of other fun stuff in it too)

But I hear that following also have almond in them:

Ralph Hot
    Baroque Bleu
    Hugo Boss Pure Purple
    Cinéma
    Rougeberry
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

Oh yeah! My favorite almond fragrance is Keiko Macherie's Loukhoum.

I forgot to mention: FlowerbyKenzo and the new Miracle Forever (that one reminds me a little of discontinued Gloria), also how could I forget MyQueen.
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

Smile Re: Almond

I love almond as a note, but I like a more natural almond scent. Sephora has an almond-vanilla scent in their own vanilla line (I forget the name), and Comptoir Sud Pacifique has a vanilla-almond, I believe. Flower Le Parfum satin spray is very almondy, but Flower in general is not, and Flower Oriental, not really at all. You can also make a lovely almond EdP by buying bitter almond essential oil, a good vanilla or natural amber base oil (Eden Botanicals has great amber blends) and mixing it up in good vodka or perfumer's oil, then spray away! This would cost under $25, if DIY interests you.

Yes- just to reitterate others, you're looking for BITTER almond oil, not the regular almond carrier oil you can buy in the supermarket.

As far as almond-type perfumes the one that's most "almond-y" to me is Hypnotic Poison. Also Luctor et Emergo has a marzipan-effect going on too.
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

Sweet almond contains more fat than scent components. Bitter almond is highly fragrant, but also lethal - that's what cianide is made of. Instant death, anybody?
    The deadly components can be removed, but you have to check before purchasing that they were removed and that the oil is safe for use. It can add that "amaretto" or "cherry" note to perfumes. But play it safe please!
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Ayala
    Sweet almond contains more fat than scent components. Bitter almond is highly fragrant, but also lethal - that's what cianide is made of. Instant death, anybody?
    The deadly components can be removed, but you have to check before purchasing that they were removed and that the oil is safe for use. It can add that "amaretto" or "cherry" note to perfumes. But play it safe please!
    Agreed!
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

Yes, buy EOs that are for perfumery/massage oils/aromatherapeutic use only, from a reputable site or store! If you have questions about a particular oil, any reputable business will happily answer in person, via phone or email- Liberty Natural and Eden Botanicals, White Lotus, etc.., there are a number of them.

Yess...almondy smells...I associate Heliotrope with that
    Try CD Dolce Vita, Kenzo Summer, MyQueen, D&G Sicily, D&G Feminine or Etro Heliotrope (but kinda smells like glue:-((
    To fear love is to fear life, and those who fear life are already three parts dead.
    Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970),

Laura Mercier's Almond Coconut Eau Gourmande seems to divide opinion here. I love it, and the almond note in it is rather beautiful.

Thank you for all the comments, particularly about safety--I've already fired off an email to a company.

I wonder then if the almond extract you get in the baking aisle would work. At least you'd know it was food safe and so presumably skin-safe!

Comptoire Sud Pacifique Vanille Amande
    Hypnotic Poison (another vote)
    Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo - Mandorlo Di Sicilia (@Sephora.com)
    Garden Botanika's line of Almond fragrance

****Garden Botanika carries an Almond Fragrance oil****

Noticed that people keep mentioning Flower by Kenzo, but neither actually contain any almond on the ingredient lists I've seen...

Bitter almond essential oil is quite difficult to find, because of the dangers associated with it - the danger is that not all the prussic acid has been removed during it's processing. For this reason it is rarely used as a perfume oil; because every batch would have to be rigorously tested. Most safety assessors would simply not sign off a scented product that contained it in any significant quantity, and all perfume products need a safety assessment in Europe.

However, as already mentioned, the major major scent component of bitter almond is benzaldehyde. You can buy pure benzaldehyde relatively easily and far more cheaply, and benzaldehyde is perfectly safe. It is virtually identical to bitter almond oil; but both are quite strong and harsh on their own (and should only be used in a 2% dilution; never put undiluted essential oil or fragrance compounds on your skin!). For this reason, it would be best to look for a blended perfume oil, which would smell more, well perfumey, and more almondey in the usual sense as well! If you do want a simple bitter almond note (have you ever tried eating the little nut inside an apricot stone? That is close to bitter almond) then search out benzaldehyde.

Incidentally, I have always got a strong, true bitter almond note from Apres L'Ondee. I have long wondered if this is the reason that the extrait was taken from the market; a simple toxicity risk?

Just a note, I'm a medical scientist, and if I smelt almond in a room where there were no almonds, I imagine I would freak out, yell "cyanide!" and run away.

So if you notice anyone sniffing the air and looking alarmed while you're wearing your new almond scent, please be quick to reassure them!

I had never thought of that, but you're right!! It's kind of CSI, don't you think??

A second vote for L'Artisan's Jour de Fete -- VERY intense (though sweet) almond. But it's almond/sugar sweet, not almond/vanilla sweet. I also get a hefty almond note from YSL's Cinema.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Quote Originally Posted by Neodymium
    Just a note, I'm a medical scientist, and if I smelt almond in a room where there were no almonds, I imagine I would freak out, yell "cyanide!" and run away.

So if you notice anyone sniffing the air and looking alarmed while you're wearing your new almond scent, please be quick to reassure them!
    All those victorian poisoners, caught my the smell of bitter almonds on the breath of the victims. Dr. Neill Cream used it.

I think of heliotrope when people mention almond in fragrance.
    DONNA

I second Cinema as a great almond scent.

Without realizing it, i got aware that three of my very favourite perfumes contain almond notes:

-Hypnotic Poison - which is a great great great melange of bitter and sweet and jasmine

-Burberry Brit - which is refreshing and vanillic at once (it contains lemon, pear and sugared almonds)

- Les belles Almond Amour /Amour d'Amandier by Nina Ricci which is a bewitching mix of kiwi, frangipani, almonds and almond blossom.

Mandorlo di Sicilia is a big almond perfume and i esp. love the environmental oil in a lamp for scenting my living room.
    "They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night."
    Edgar Allan Poe

http://perfumum.blogspot.com/

Nuits De Scherrer is extremely almondy!

I bought some Valentino yesterday and it carries a strong cherry-almond scent on me.

Which Velentino do you mean, if i may ask?
    "They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night."
    Edgar Allan Poe

http://perfumum.blogspot.com/

Amaretto is my favorite note, then bitter almond. I was looking at my frags. and noticed that just about everything I have has some form of almond. Ayala, beautul lady, now I'm worried about Cianide poisoning. Anyway, everything I have with almond has been mentioned except that I also have the almond extract. I have so many bottles of almond lotion, I don't want to count them. My favorites right now are Le Baiser Du Dragon, Gloria by Cacharel (very light), CSP Vanille Amonde and Tracy by Ellen Tracy (2006).

The Perlier White Almond Body Creme is beautifully scented & so thick and creamy. I always search TJ Maxx & Marshall's for it because it's usually $7.99 there but honestly I would pay full price ($30) if need be because it's THAT good.

I think it's V - the bottle is V shape and sits on its side, and the box says "Valentino" with a lipstick red, smudgy V on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitulove
    Hello,
    I'm having a heck of a time trying to locate almond perfume oil on the internet. My searches keep yielding almond carrier oil. Any ideas?

While I'm at it, do you have any favorite almondy perfumes?

Many thanks,
    Lanna
    Have you tried DSH perfumes? I'm really fond of their Almond Blossom roll-on. Here's a link:
    https://www.dshperfumes.com/sale_page.asp
    Check the "Gourmand" catagory for a couple of other almond scents.

A friend of mine highly recommended this site to me:
    http://www.mmucosmetics.com/

Apparently she makes a perfume oil called Pink Clouds that is similar to Aquolina's Pink Sugar but is longer-lasting. Their list of scents (over 300) was pretty overwhelming to me...you can get samples, or they come in large bottles or 10mL roll-on sizes. They also have a mist that's supposed to go on your hair. I'm really excited to try some of their scents. It sounds similar to Demeter. http://www.mmucosmetics.com/scentmenubar/popup.php

I am NOT AFFILIATED with this e-tailer in any way, they were recommended to me.

Judging from the descriptions, she has some awesome almond fragrances:

Almond Cheesecake Tart:
    A scrumptious, delectable sniff that starts with top notes of the creamiest Cheesecake and a sweetened Graham Cracker crust. The middle is lush with a creamy Almond note and lightly sweetened Lemon Juice. And this mild, yet out of this world scent could not be complete with the wonderful note of Vanilla Extract! This scent should convert anyone into an Almond sniff lover!

Almond Coconut Milk Soufflé
    A sexy blend of Almond Milk and Creamy Coconut with a healthy dose of Cream Accord and Vanilla. The Almond and Coconut notes are very evident, but never cloying as the creamy notes dance around to ensure its softness and sensuality.

Almond Marzipan

Almond Milk

Almond Pastry

THANK YOU FOR THAT LINK linnea!! They sure have a big selection!! I'll be there for daaays....

L'Occitane has a very very sweet almond 'fragrance gel' which I do enjoy sometimes:

http://usa.loccitane.com//product/pr...100AD&variant=

L'Occitane Mimosa has a very dominant almond note all the way through from start to dry down. Lovely!

Third Acqua di Parma's Mandorlo di Sicilia, it's a lovely sweet almond fragrance. Not heavy on the bitter almond, though, which is probably why I like it - bitter almond is not a favourite note, I've never liked marzipan either.