Code of Conduct

Default Anything that smells like pine lumber?

I can look up fragrances that have fresh pine or living pine forest notes all day but I'm wondering if anyone knows about a fragrance that smells specifically like the untreated cut pine boards (the cheap ones still oozing pine pitch) at a lumberyard or home improvement store. I'm not sure if it would make a good frag but I'd like to try it if there is such a thing, especially with prominent wood notes to add to the effect. What I'd most like to see is something with few or no other notes that detract from or mute the pine and wood.

I know, odd request, huh?

Default Re: Anything that smells like pine lumber?

umm... straight of the top of my head with little or no thought:
    Polo Green
    Pino Sylvestre

Hinoki

Quote Originally Posted by Trufflehunter View Post
    umm... straight of the top of my head with little or no thought:
    Pino Sylvestre
    Never heard of that one. And it's cheap too! I'll have to add a bottle to my next online order. Does it smell as cheap as it costs? Or is it because it's an older fragrance?
    Last edited by PorkFat; 18th May 2009 at 11:59 PM.

I've been in the construction industry my entire life, spent a fair amount of time around lumber. Mostly Douglas Fir, as that is what is mainly used for structural timber in the western US now. Grew up in a fir/cedar forest, too. Try Terre d'Hermes. Everybody says this smells of cedar, but I get fir pitch instead.

If he want cedar then Sequoia might do the trick.

Basenotes Institution

I agree with cmax - Scent One: Hinoki by Comme des Garcons x Monocle is very close to this smell.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by cmax View Post
    Hinoki
    Like it! But not sure if it's enough to justify the price. Hinoki is up my alley but anything much over $80 I have a hard time justifying the purchase when I can buy stuff I really love like Montale's Aoud line. I'll will wear my sample of Hinoki tomorrow. As I remember it's quite strong so I'll see what my co-workers think. I have yet to wear it out.

Quote Originally Posted by robpmgc View Post
    I've been in the construction industry my entire life, spent a fair amount of time around lumber. Mostly Douglas Fir, as that is what is mainly used for structural timber in the western US now. Grew up in a fir/cedar forest, too. Try Terre d'Hermes. Everybody says this smells of cedar, but I get fir pitch instead.
    Got it, love it. Not terribly piney though, to my nose that is. And there's a lot more going on there. I'm looking for more of a one-note (or a few notes) wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by cmax View Post
    If he want cedar then Sequoia might do the trick.
    This sounds very interesting. And agarwood to boot! I think Luckyscent will have a sample order very soon!
    Last edited by PorkFat; 19th May 2009 at 01:02 AM.

I can't say if it smells particularly like a pine tree, but Creed's Cypres Musc is the woodiest fragrance I have ever smelled. To me, it does smell like freshly cut wood, with a little bit of musk tossed in. If you can find it, it's excellent but expensive

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    I can't say if it smells particularly like a pine tree, but Creed's Cypres Musc is the woodiest fragrance I have ever smelled. To me, it does smell like freshly cut wood, with a little bit of musk tossed in. If you can find it, it's excellent but expensive
    I love older Creeds. But wow, you weren't kidding about expensive! I can't find decants or samples of this anywhere and it doesn't sound like a popular selling fragrance that I could easily try at a high end department store.

To help make further recommendations: I really don't like the pencil shavings note. Hopefully that doesn't kill a favorite of someone's that they were going to post.

Get thee a bottle of Knize Forest. You'll swear that there's pine sap oozing from your pores (and I mean that in the best possible way.)
    Don a wig of larks and fly!

Not an odd request at all. New England Pine by D.S. & Durga has a freshly cut timber resinous note to it, backed up by a black tea note. Its a very well done scent and worth trying.
    Last edited by surreality; 19th May 2009 at 01:47 AM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by Merbert View Post
    Get thee a bottle of Knize Forest. You'll swear that there's pine sap oozing from your pores (and I mean that in the best possible way.)
    Funny, we have a similar discussion on the ladies forum
    I second Knize Forest.
    ~ Anais ~

CdG Hinoki. Yes, it is worth the $$.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    CdG Hinoki. Yes, it is worth the $$.
    And can be had at Tobi for 25bones cheaper with free shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Merbert View Post
    Certainly adding this to my list! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    Not an odd request at all. New England Pine by D.S. & Durga has a freshly cut timber resinous note to it, backed up by a black tea note. Its a very well done scent and worth trying.
    Where in the world can I find this online? It's not even on the BN directory or even on the D.S. and Durga website. Is it very new? Thank you for pointing out this house to me. Cowboy Grass seems really interesting and so do many other scents of theirs.

Versace green jeans, if you can find it

PINE IN THE TOP NOTES AND BASE NOTES
    Last edited by bogart; 19th May 2009 at 02:20 AM. Reason: ADDITION

Quote Originally Posted by PorkFat View Post
    Where in the world can I find this online? It's not even on the BN directory or even on the D.S. and Durga website. Is it very new? Thank you for pointing out this house to me. Cowboy Grass seems really interesting and so do many other scents of theirs.
    I hate it when companies don't update their websites. If you email the shop and request New England Pine they will sell it to you (as either a sample or a FB).
    Last edited by surreality; 19th May 2009 at 02:23 AM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Also CDG Jaisalmer, i get a lot of pine from that one also.

Sheesh, I'm the pine guy and I'm late to the par-tay.
    Well...
    Hinoki is what you are looking for, period. Freshly-cut wood, almost obsessively soliflore focus here. Dry, austere, woody.
    Pino Silvestre and also L'Occitane en Provence's 4 Voleurs are excellent HERBAL-pine. I put that in caps to show that the greenery isn't limited to pine.
    Cypres-Musc is incredible, but it is cypress rather than pine. Also resinous, coniferous... but not pine. And yes, normally in the large format bottle it is expensive. See if you can score a tester on ebay, but caveat emptor there, as always for ebay and especially Creed on ebay.
    Good luck!
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Everyone else has said it but I'll add a vote for Hinoki by CdG... Also, for a fresh cut "wood" smell (not exactly pine) is Serge Lutens Chene resembles a fresh cut plank of wood complete with a warm sap aroma.

did anyone mention --------- Hinoki ?!

See if Fou d'Absinthe does anything for you - some people describe it as piney - I just like it . . .

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    See if Fou d'Absinthe does anything for you - some people describe it as piney - I just like it . . .
    Cool, thank you. I ordered a sample.

What does everyone think of these two:

Blenheim Bouquet
    Encens Epice
    (Need to find a sample somewhere neither Luckyscent nor TPC has it).

The first was recommended as a better pine scent in a Luckyscent review of Fou d'Absinthe, and the second popped up in a search for "pine" on the same site.
    Last edited by PorkFat; 19th May 2009 at 09:20 AM.

yatagan
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Yatagan smells like burning pine

Tumulte by Christian Lacroix is like taking a trip through a sawmill. Cheap to buy and a delightful bottle too.

For cheapies Pino Silvestre and Gale Hayman Man - I think Pino is the better of the two.

My favorite pine scent is, as others have mentioned, Blenheim Bouquet - I wear this one quite a bit.

Blog Entries

I second Fou d'Absinthe (but you have already ordered a sample).

Further thoughts:
    Blenheim Bouquet -- excellent cool lemon scent with rosemary and pine.
    Fou D'Absinthe -- wonderful warm artemesia (green) scent with lovely warm pine notes.
    Encens Epice -- tried this, didn't make a strong impression on me.
    yatagan and also Etat Libre D'Orange's Eloge du Traitre have powerful woody-pine notes.
    Eau de Rochas pour Homme is a lovely summer splash, with lemon-pine character.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Excellent suggestions. However, if you want to save some cash instead of going expensive niche, I would suggest:

Georgio for Men - Very strong, almost loud pine opening to my nose.

Polo Green - A classic and very affordable alternative.

Polo Modern Reserve - More of a subtle blast of pine, but unfortunately nada development after the opening. Also, as much as PMR was hyped as a modern reinterpretation of the classic green Polo, I was very disappointed with this fragrance. I would definitely compare to classic green Polo before committing to a bottle of PMR.

Just my opinions. In full disclosure, I am just not enough of a pine note enthusiast to justify hefty niche freight, so perhaps I am not the best source of advice on pine dominant fragrances.

Best,

TJ

Quote Originally Posted by TigerJuice View Post
    Excellent suggestions. However, if you want to save some cash instead of going expensive niche, I would suggest:

Georgio for Men - Very strong, almost loud pine opening to my nose.

Polo Green - A classic and very affordable alternative.

Polo Modern Reserve - More of a subtle blast of pine, but unfortunately nada development after the opening. Also, as much as PMR was hyped as a modern reinterpretation of the classic green Polo, I was very disappointed with this fragrance. I would definitely compare to classic green Polo before committing to a bottle of PMR.

Just my opinions. In full disclosure, I am just not enough of a pine note enthusiast to justify hefty niche freight, so perhaps I am not the best source of advice on pine dominant fragrances.

Best,

TJ
    Aren't those frags based on the smell of pine needles and not on the smell of fresh cut pine lumber?

dirty english
    Want to buy/trade: looking for some escentric molecules kinski, I have a bunch of decants/samples including escentric 02 and escentric 01

PM ME

I find it a prominent note in Zagorsk, but mixed with a lot of smoky incense of course.

This seems like a good place to give notice of a new BN social group, which I have started.
    Coneheads -- for those interested in all things pine, etc.
    If this topic appeals to you, please consider this an invitation to join!
    Cheers, ody
    odysseusm

Basenotes Institution

What does everyone think of these two:

Blenheim Bouquet
    Encens Epice
    (Need to find a sample somewhere neither Luckyscent nor TPC has it)...
    I think Blenheim Bouquet smells a lot like pine oil, pine essence - not necessarily like cut pine wood. There's a difference.

BB is one of the few scents that gave me a splitting headache when I wore it. The same headache I get when I smell Pine-Sol liquid floor cleaner which has that same sharp, pine oil smell. Of course BB is infinitely more refined and complex but one cannot ignore a headache.

Have you tried Epicea by Creed? It is like a more resinous Polo - but smells more foresty. Trees in the ground, alive, perhaps the smell of the trees from a birds eye perspective.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Zagorsk and Hinoki, yes.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I think Blenheim Bouquet smells a lot like pine oil, pine essence - not necessarily like cut pine wood. There's a difference.

BB is one of the few scents that gave me a splitting headache when I wore it. The same headache I get when I smell Pine-Sol liquid floor cleaner which has that same sharp, pine oil smell. Of course BB is infinitely more refined and complex but one cannot ignore a headache.

Have you tried Epicea by Creed? It is like a more resinous Polo - but smells more foresty. Trees in the ground, alive, perhaps the smell of the trees from a birds eye perspective.
    Uh oh, I ordered a BB sample so I hope it's not as strong as you say. The pine oil cleaner smell is something I'd like to avoid. I will look into Epicea, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    This seems like a good place to give notice of a new BN social group, which I have started.
    Coneheads -- for those interested in all things pine, etc.
    If this topic appeals to you, please consider this an invitation to join!
    Cheers, ody
    Thank you. How do I find it?

Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post
    Zagorsk and Hinoki, yes.
    I ordered a sample of Zagorsk and the rest of the incense from CdG as I love incense. And I will wear my Hinoki decant today at work.
    Last edited by PorkFat; 19th May 2009 at 06:14 PM.

Red face Re: Anything that smells like pine lumber?

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    Aren't those frags based on the smell of pine needles and not on the smell of fresh cut pine lumber?
    Point very well taken surreality. Pine needles, pine lumber, pine forest, or Pine-Sol, I am not really a fan of pine notes period. In retrospect, I should have just left this thread alone.

Best,

TJ
    Last edited by TigerJuice; 19th May 2009 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Punctuation!

Don't worry about BB, Porkfat. I think it is a lovely scent. I find it much different (thankfully) than Pine-Sol. Epicea is excellent, a smoky sort of pine, like the remnants of a pinelog campfire.

To find social groups, go to the Community pull-down link in the green menu bar at the top of any Communiyt page. That will reveal the link to social groups.
    odysseusm

For me, I am trying to figure out the boundary between "untreated cut pine boards" (original post), but not "pencil shavings" (post 10). Not saying they are the same, just not sure how to characterize the difference (assuming the shavings are pine).

Also, I think a good portion of the recommendations will convey more the idea of pine needles, etc, as opposed to wood.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    For me, I am trying to figure out the boundary between "untreated cut pine boards" (original post), but not "pencil shavings" (post 10). Not saying they are the same, just not sure how to characterize the difference (assuming the shavings are pine).

Also, I think a good portion of the recommendations will convey more the idea of pine needles, etc, as opposed to wood.
    Well, pencil shavings are a very specific kind of wood, not pine. I believe it's incense cedar. Even though Hinoki was recommended as pine, I find it to be more cedar like, but not pencil shavings, like in Gucci Pour Homme, which I do not like.

And yes, I do think that a majority of the posts are of fresh pine and not wood. But it doesn't look to promising for pine wood, so I'll take what I can get.

Basenotes Institution

Well, pencil shavings are a very specific kind of wood, not pine. I believe it's incense cedar.
    I agree - pencils always smell like cedar wood to my nose - not pine. To smell real fresh cut pine, one has to go to home improvement stores, or some forest where they're cutting fresh pine wood. The smell is unmistakable.

-- Eckhart Tolle