Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: Worst Fragrance Ever???

My sister used to wear Allure and it really made me sick.

Geparlys Darkness. I think I was the first one to purchase it here several years ago, as it was super-cheap. Nasty nasty sweet gourmand tobacco plum... gosh, I'm about to hurl-just thinking about it gives me the shakes. I think the only fragrance that I've received, smelled, and put up for sale/trade in the same day.
    The Bark Bites Back.

guys no one said it...Kenzo pour homme smells like tar and a stale flea collar.....

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    Sécrétions Magnifiques isn't that bad. What's worse is Miel de Bois by Serge Lutens.

I didnt find Miel de Bois bad...just interesting.....an another thought since Antaeus got rid of alot of is beewax in the scent I wonder if u layer it with Miel de Bois itll smell like the vintage Antaeus?

I think we need to differentiate between

1.) Those fragrances which are just poorly made or cheaply executed (e.g., Kenneth Cole's lineup)

versus

2.) Those fragrances which are designed to be "shocking" or "outre" (e.g., Secretions Magnifique) There are lots of really stinky fragrances which I never wear, but which bring a smile to my face when I sniff them - I'm thinking about Cumming, Bigarade Concentrée, and several of Christopher Brosius' Burning Leaves, and a lot of the CdG line...

Teddius

Quote Originally Posted by somnambulist07 View Post
    One of the worst for me is YSL M7. Nasty medical scent. Too much Agarwood I suppose. There's probably worse out there but nothing I have disliked more than M7 until now.
    M7 is the shit, I had my doubts on it but it grew on me. Give it some time, I'm sure it will on you too.

Burberry for Men is hideous! A*Men is a close second place. PFUI!!!

I'm hardly a seasoned judge, but I can tell you what I hate based on my blind buys:

Tuscany pour homme: oven cleaner
    Zino Davidoff

Whenever I see this thread pop back up I edit my original response. It's been edited 3 times now. The more I expand my fragrance horizons, I come across some pretty incredible fragrances. Some are incredibly bad! Some, like Kouros, I come back to several times and end up LOVING it! Others, like Rochas Man and Tommy Bahama, I come back to and it just reinforces why I think they're the most vile fragrances in the world.

van cleef and arpels pour homme is pretty wretched stuff and smells like puke(vomit).

Quote Originally Posted by SillageMonger View Post
    I used to believe that Burberry for Men can harm no one...

Quote Originally Posted by SillageMonger View Post
    It's my best friend's signature fragrance. I think it smells pretty damn good on him, but the few times I've smelled it out of the bottle I haven't cared for it.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

The worst fragrance to me is Dirty English by Juicy Couture. Smells awful.

Gucci Envy. Cloying Sweet, generic and made me nacious. Yuck. It smells like something you would use to clean a bathroom.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    Pretty much any of the ouds from Montale are "the worst"... for me at least.
    I have to agree with you on that one. Uffda!

Kouros

Hope nobody gets offended, because I know it's a bit of a sacred cow, but MKK made me gag when I wore it. I had a similar reaction to Kouros, but I did find it enjoyable outside of the, ummm, pet odor note. And while we're being completely honest, I don't "get" Ouds. While they are inoffensive and nowhere near "the worst", dozens of wearings later all I get is the medicinal aspect. Not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    Glad to hear someone else has tried this horror. Yes, I will agree that many of the scents cited so far suck (esp. Romance For Men, AdG), but I doubt any of them come close to being as disgusting as Lilac Vegetal. This fragrance is so bad, it's actually worth picking up as a joke - a huge plastic 8 oz. bottle only costs like 6 bucks.
    Yeah, I saw a small bottle at drugstore and some guys at Badger and Blade swear by it.
    I knew when I picked it up it would likely suck, and it did. There is a slight lilac presence which is an odd scent to me, then something awful...

Secretions Magnifiques is the worst of the EdTs that I've tried. I was with a group of BNers at Scent Bar and we were all afraid to touch it. It wasn't a fair test wear, maybe it turns nicer but initially it was "you're kidding, that's awful." (You should see the little graphic they include with the sample vial.)

VISIT...smells like Japanese curry. Glad I only bought a sample. Wow!

eau savage extreme= vomitive
    #TOP 5#: Antico Caruso, Penhaligons Racquets,Creed BayRhum Vetiver,Domenico Caraceni,Castle Forbes 1445

Quote Originally Posted by PorkFat View Post
    Whenever I see this thread pop back up I edit my original response. It's been edited 3 times now. The more I expand my fragrance horizons, I come across some pretty incredible fragrances. Some are incredibly bad! Some, like Kouros, I come back to several times and end up LOVING it! Others, like Rochas Man and Tommy Bahama, I come back to and it just reinforces why I think they're the most vile fragrances in the world.
    What the heck!!! I love Rochas Man And Tommy Bahama... For me Infusion'd Homme and Caron's Third Men are the worst fragrances I've ever smelled.

Secretions Magnifiques

I always find it amusing that posters feel the need to describe what they think are the worst scents using very emotive descriptions - as if they are trying to win creative writing competitions.

Some smells you like, some you don't. None of them actually make you want to throw up.

Get over yourselves - and get some perspective.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by joe mcclaine View Post
    secretions magnifiques

i always find it amusing that posters feel the need to describe what they think are the worst scents using very emotive descriptions - as if they are trying to win creative writing competitions.

Some smells you like, some you don't. None of them actually make you want to throw up.

Lol
    Last edited by petruccijc; 6th December 2009 at 12:43 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by joe mcclaine View Post
    Secretions Magnifiques. I always find it amusing that posters feel the need to describe what they think are the worst scents using very emotive descriptions - as if they are trying to win creative writing competitions.
    Hey neighbor, let the kids have some fun here.

White Diamonds by Elizabeth Taylor

Sunflowers by Elizabeth Arden
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

How did we get this far without any mention of the Clean line? I once got a sample of Warm Cotton from Sephora. It was like dowsing myself in industrial-strength detergent. Next to that, the worst perfume I've ever smelled is Le Baiser Du Dragon by Cartier. The "Fragrance Finder" at the Sephora website lead me to it, and in my innocence I bought some blind. Ooops. You know how kids sometimes mix the different drinks at the 7-11 soda fountain in one cup? Do that with perfume, and you'll get Le Baiser Du Dragon.

Womens- Poison without a doubt.

Mens- Hanae Mori Men, I could smell that while it was still in the postal truck at the end of the driveway! A shame because the womens is really nice. (Lesson Never buy blind!)

Thumbs down

Rochas Man is the only perfume that causes me a terrible headache
    My summer favs: Penhaligon's - Racquets; Acqua di Parma - Colonia Assoluta; Dior - Homme Cologne
    My winter favs: Chanel - Antaeus; Guerlain - Habit Rouge EdT; YSL - Kouros; Calvin Klein - Eternity; Burberry - Brit; Comme des Garçons - Wonderwood

Mitsouko is awful...smells really ancient.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    Mitsouko is awful...smells really ancient.
    To me it smells like used french fry or donut oil. Maybe the TPC ladies are decanting an older bottle that has turned? Not awful but weird.

Burberry Week-end.

It smells like vomit.

The drydown it the worst drydown I have ever smelled.
    Test it and let me know. It's like a vomit drydown !! No kidding.

Did anybody mention the atrocious Claiborne For Men? The dated milk in the fridge smells better

Blog Entries

My personal box of hate would be full of Gray Flannel, Caesars Man and Creed Original Vetiver.

Montale Attar gives me headaches pretty consistently.

Annick Goutal Petite Cherie actually made my nose bleed. Stuff's got some teeth.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Kouros

Quote Originally Posted by bluesoul View Post
    My personal box of hate would be full of Gray Flannel, Caesars Man and Creed Original Vetiver.

Montale Attar gives me headaches pretty consistently.

Annick Goutal Petite Cherie actually made my nose bleed. Stuff's got some teeth.
    I agree on the caesars man. That stuff is horrendous!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Thumbs up Re: Worst Fragrance Ever???

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Amarige
    I think Turin and Sanchez would agree with you here

Fierce. Why smell like a store???

I remember just lightly sniffing Sécrétions Magnifiques and recoiling in horror with such a loud "uh!" that the SA actually came over and asked if I was ok...
    NEW SPLIT - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I don't really loathe or hate any scent except maybe Poison of which, even a tiny spritz gives me a headache. And one other nearly gives me the same reaction: Very Irresistible. But nothing else I have ever smelled has ever seemed vile or worthy of the title "the worst." Cheap? Sure. Poorly made? No doubt. Not for me? Absolutely. But a violent reaction? No.

Surprised no one has mentioned the now out-of-production, L'Autre (which I love). Used to be the least favored scent here, next to the big K.
    Griff

Fracas for Men, a total grease fest.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 7th December 2009 at 03:00 AM.

Cool Re: Worst Fragrance Ever???

Quote Originally Posted by zliang View Post
    It never claims to contain incense. JaimeB in his review mentioned: "The name, by the way, is French for "senseless," "foolish," "insane." In Vibert's: "OK all you English-only speakers, don’t go out and buy this thinking that it’s an incense fragrance. That would be “encens.”
    Quite right, mon ami. Insense is indeed French for insane.
    However I maintain Givenchy's Insense Ultramarine would be too nuts even for Gallic bipolars. It is underwater chemical warfare.

Though I dislike Amouage Gold, A*men, Le Male, Kouros, Eau Sauvage Extreme, Quorum, Old Spice, M7 and Joop! None come close to the stomach churning wtf? reaction I get from this turkey. Besides there's a place for each of the other in perfumery.

ES Extreme teaches us how a Concentree version should NOT be made, Old Spice why a woman's scent (1937) which bombed can succeed if vigorously re-marketed for men as an adventurous macho scent. Le Male, aka " Alone tonight sailor? " Teaches how success can be achieved far cheaper by-passing any pretensions of machismo. And Amouage Gold? As long as you're going to bottle synthetic crap, just charge a ton of $ and play the I'm-more-niche-than-you game. Hats off! That's pure genius.

I'm not sure what Joop! has to teach us, and I'm not certain I'd like to know. Quorum I described as 'crotch in a bottle'-- Indeed it's hard to find a frag that makes Drakkar Noir layered with Brut look subtle by comparison, and while I feel that Kouros would be the kind of soap I'd expect to be handed by THING in The Addams Family bathroom, none is as expensive as Amouage Gold, and--

--All appear to be Holy Grail scents for many BN members.

( See Geir, GIT, BdP, Laguna. Prada or whatever catches your fancy.)

Well, why not? Live and let Live . . .

I don't understand the hate for Fahrenheit. I never really liked it, as I was often unsure whether the ' Check Engine' warning had lit up on my dashboard but if memory serves, it wasn't really that bad. Was it?

One last thing: I used to think that hell was being trapped in an elevator going downwards to Satan's realm while all the other men inside had overdosed with A*men

( Would Satan be a woman who reeked of Pink Sugar? )

But then it hit me! A*men is like being an over muscled steroid grotesque.

A small percentage will think you're terrific! So don't worry about over spraying. Besides you might meet your true love, who is wearing Pink---

So there are saving graces, to all of these.

However Insense Ultramarine should be banned by The Geneva Convention.

I have never tried Sécrétions Magnifiques, but I am intrigued by the statistics:

Insense Ultramarine: 22 reviews to date. 11 positive 3 neutral 7 negative--alright 7 very negative

BUT

Sécrétions Magnifiques 47 reviews to date. 11 positive 7 neutral and---29 NEGATIVE !

I am impressed.

Cry Me a River,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Joop and A*Men are like pink polos. There's nothing more manly then not being afraid to look like you might be gay. It's like a big game of chicken us boys all play at the bar.
    NEW SPLIT - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Allow me to reiterate, you haven't smelt hell until you've smelled Hilde Soliani Stecca.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Azzaro Visit

Gucci By Gucci for Men

D&G Light Blue for Men

Armani Code Men

Aqua Di Gio For Men.... that sour note sucks and gets even nastier when mixed with the persons sweat.

Quote Originally Posted by EarNoseThroat View Post
    Azzaro Visit

Gucci By Gucci for Men

D&G Light Blue for Men

Armani Code Men

Aqua Di Gio For Men.... that sour note sucks and gets even nastier when mixed with the persons sweat.
    Which fragrances do you like?

Quote Originally Posted by EarNoseThroat View Post
    Azzaro Visit

Gucci By Gucci for Men

D&G Light Blue for Men

Armani Code Men

Quote Originally Posted by Jokke View Post
    Which fragrances do you like?
    LMAO !! EarNoseThroat, I think you just listed Jokke's fragrance rotation

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    LMAO !! EarNoseThroat, I think you just listed Jokke's fragrance rotation
    Only AdG. But to name them as Worst fragrances ever? That's just ridiculous

Yeah, I can't see anyone listing something as inoffensive as Code as a 'worst fragrance ever'. I could see someone thinking it's dull or derivative, but Code is absolutely nowhere near the worst fragrance ever.
    I refuse to sink.

While I disagree, my brother loves all the fragrances I own except when he took a whiff of Hugo Boss he referred to it as smelling like "a sweaty a$shole" lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Fracas for Men, a total grease fest.
    Why are the ladies Piguet's so beautiful and the men's such swill? Have you tried Bandit Light...egad it's bad.

PawelL

WOMEN - anything by JP Gaultier
    MEN - Lagerfeld Classic, Drakkar Noir, Fahrenheit

fleur du male has to be one of the nastiest that i have smelled...like a dove bar that accidentally took a dive in the toilet

i'm having a love hate relationship with kouros...i just want the honey incense drydown..if i can survive the blast from the topnotes.

GUCCI PH1 is by faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar the worst frag i have ever smelled.

There are plenty of vile fragrances, but the only fragrance that actually makes me feel sick is Joop.

Quote Originally Posted by pkf View Post
    GUCCI PH1 is by faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar the worst frag i have ever smelled.
    whats wrong with smelling like old catholic church?

Le Labo Oud

Quote Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
    whats wrong with smelling like old catholic church?
    Lol, think you got my point

There are plenty I just really don't like, it's quite a long list, but up there amongst the most reviled by me are:
    A Men
    Farenheit
    Rive Gauche Pour Homme
    YSL M7 (thought I liked it, bought it, lived with it, hated it, sold it)
    Joop
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

I tried out Perry Ellis' 18 Man yesterday and I thought it was hilarious. I know we throw around the term "generic" quite a bit.. but even my mom (who knows nothing about fragrances) broke out laughing because of how plain it was.