Default Re: Worst Fragrance Ever???

Curve. It smells like burning hair.

Rive Gauche on me when drinking beer

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    barf-o-rama
    Aah, a little 'Stand by Me' reference there! Cool!
    Last edited by Le Grand Duc; 21st February 2010 at 11:43 AM.

A*Men. I really don't get all the hype about this one.

Burberry London. I love cedar but it just doesn't work in this context IMO.

Versace V/S

insert a bond number 9 frag here

Cool Water, Paradise for men, many Creed fragrances.

The worst fragrance to me is*Lapidus Pour Homme by Ted Lapidus.Smells awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Paco Sweet View Post
    Live Jazz - Yves Saint Laurent
    Fresh, bored and horrible.
    Whaat ?
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Quote Originally Posted by frug View Post
    A*Men. It's just wrong.
    +1 on that, sir!

And contrary to what Mr. frug thinks, I think that Live Jazz is an outstanding summer fragrance! Probably among the best. There's no place for Live Jazz in the list of worst. Please - this is just misleading.
    Last edited by HammerFist; 3rd April 2010 at 04:22 PM.

Aqua Velva literally makes me nauseous.

Parfumerie Generale - Aomassi

I was looking foreward to this. Inhaled deeply and with a smile on my face.
    My smiling face must have turned to a disgusting look of sheer terror and horror.
    Wow, I wasn't expecting such an insane and brutal punch at all. What the heck were they thinking??
    I'm quite tolerant to anything, but this has found me beyond words. TERRIBLE!!
    Last edited by dr.creed; 4th April 2010 at 11:00 AM.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

I know a lot of people like this but I can't stand the smell of Bvlgari Black. I hate the smell of tar so this is probably why.

Quorum Silver

A headache inducing concoction of pure lifeless cedar oil.
    "You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do." J.G.

Quote Originally Posted by adiloren View Post
    Aqua Velva literally makes me nauseous.
    You are not alone

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    He gives Secretions a 5 stars masterpiece rating, and then trashes real masterpieces like Chrome and Laguna as 1 star rubbish......wtf?
    Renato
    Honestly, L. Turin was more than generous to give one star to those monstuosities called Chrome and Laguna, they are among the worse ever, only saved because we have Aqua Velvas and Skin Bracers to kick around.

Like many have said, there is something really wrong with A*men, but the winner in this contest is VIP by Usher.

With respect to Lilac Vegetal, after 15 to 20 minutes it morphs into something, that while is not spectacular, ain't bad at all, just give it a chance. And was you shamu1 that convinced me to give it a chance, and I thank you for that.

Definitely without a doubt "Gray Flannel". Smells like moth balls

Possibly Bruberry London. I could not get past the top notes - but those were terrible. I am sure its drydown must be better, but I didn't care to wait that long, and threw away the test-strip in alarm.

I live in the middle of nowhere and haven't had the dubious pleasure of experiencing Sécrétions Magnifiques. The only (men's) fragrance that made me nauseous has been Yatagan, with Bijan running a close second. I also find Grey Flannel pretty oppressive -- like being buried in lavender and powder -- and can't abide Quorum.

Quote Originally Posted by MassMenace View Post
    While I disagree, my brother loves all the fragrances I own except when he took a whiff of Hugo Boss he referred to it as smelling like "a sweaty a$shole" lol
    I wouldn't know what a sweaty asshole smells, honestly.

Drakkar Noir.

Dishonourable mention to Boss No. 1 and Quorum.

A*MEN

Soon, Acqu di gio, or maybe now?

Ohh, who dared to say RL Romance was awful??

Quorum is pretty bad....but it at least smells like a man in 1977 could have worn it.

The only fragrance which I think smells like it's not trying to be a fragrance, one which smells like something not intended for human contact, is Azzaro Pure Vetiver:

Original Aramis...that stuff just stinks....
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Encre Noir... Sorry B-Noters, I absolutely cannot stand that one!

I know that opinions are all subjective, but Encre Noir?? Really? I was thinking more along the lines of Polo Black... wayyy to musky for me. The Polo Line is note the greatest of designer lines but this one was a total disappointment for me!

Last edited by Descartes; 26th March 2013 at 09:40 PM.

Not sure about worst, but the one with the greatest hype/disappointment ratio for me is Chergui. Maybe it's my skin, but something about it just smells gross to me. Honorable mention to Tobacco Vanille.

CK's Crave: cummin galore. After application you feel you might suit a cannibal's feast, you end up thinking one's meat with cummin might add a special something to a specialty dish favoured by some natives living in one of Earth's most distant places. I like cummin, but in food, not on myself: who on earth would like to smell like cummin??? Maybe I am culturally biased in my appreciation, but it felt that way both times I tried it.

There are two other stinkers I felt they were failed blends in all the extention of the term, their notes did not combine at all: a local drugstore scent replicating a well-known brand, which I could not identify, plus a blend specially made for a designer that failed due to the imbalance and lack off harmony among notes. They both were the most repulsive scents I ever smelt in my life, which is something, for I am generally quite linient when it comes to reviewing scents (of course, with a bias towards vintage scents).

Caroline Herrera 212 Men - a tragic chemical meltdown. The term "synthetic" doesn't even begin to describe. For further disgusting amusement, try the truly horrible deodorant stick. It smells a lot like airplane glue, no kiddding. The worst case of b.o. smells better than this.

Runner up: Armani Mania - a misguided chemistry experiment gone horribly wrong. Pungent, astringent, eau de plastic hairspray. Would make an effective insecticide, I'm certain.

Of course I have full bottles of these in my collection. I keep them there as a contsant reminder, "Don't EVER do that again." I've almost learned my lesson. But I'm too much of a gentleman to name names in comparison. These two are my benchmarks for hideous chemical mistakes.

The new Polo Green and the new Opium for women, L'Oreal is great at destroying formulas... I wonder, can't they even have the decency of asking the noses in charge of the original formulas to work on the reformulations???

Perry Ellis 360. Smells terrible and it looks like the secret ooze from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

A*Men is the worst I've tried yet.

Perhaps not the worst...but I have no love for it. C&S No.88...over perfumed douched crotch and urine. I know there's lots of fanboys for this one....sorry guys.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

At the top of my list are TL Pour Lui, by Ted Lapidus, and Silver Scent by Jacques Bogart.

I'm pretty sure it's just me, but there is something in both of these that is like a sharp spike driven into my sinuses, causing both of them to come over like fruity weed killer. Among the few things that I really cannot wear, as they make my head hurt.

All phrases in my reply should be prefixed with "In my opinion". As should yours, dear reader

On topic: Grey Flannel - smells cheap and old. Really cheap. I had a sample and just threw it away. I thought I could not even give it away, any receiver might get offended.

Off-topic:

1) I cannot understand how someone can judge a fragrance based on top notes. "oh, I smelled it and it hit me in the face...". Why not have a few minutes, at most 1/2 an hour of patience and see what it morphs into? You will NOT wear top notes. Just middle and base.

I agree, A-Men is a punch in the face initially, but it changes quickly. That sickening sweet odour fades away. I regret some people have no patience. And I must say that on my skin it stays very close. Lasts an eternity, but very close. It is an original, it came in a pouch and a City Cube, with a perfectly valid code which I entered on their site etc. So it is 100% real. I guess it's a skin chemistry thing.

Surprisingly, while it is very-very good initially, A-men just gets better in time and is absolutely fantastic on my skin 24+ hours after application

By the way, I smelled in stores some A-men testers that were perhaps stale, the fragrance had no connection with the bottle I own.

2) "It is too strong...". No perfume is "too strong". Just don't over-apply it. You cannot apply Kouros or A-men like you apply some, I don't know, Kenneth Cole or Calvin Klein watery stuff. Isn't it? You cannot drink whiskey in the same amount as beer (I know, some people can ) ). So, just apply very lightly and work your way up. 1-2 puffs of Kouros may be very different than 6 (6 would probably kill the people in an office building).

212 for me sorry

Pure civet: you DON'T want that near you, believe me.

B*MEN is one of the worst fragrances I've ever smelt.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

for me Parfumerie Generale Coze, i can't stand this one. gives me nausea. once i had it on my hand and i went straight away to the sink in 1 minute...

Quote Originally Posted by djaqib View Post
    212 for me sorry
    Agreed. To me it smells like green grass and milk. Yuck.

You guys are listing to many boring fragrances. I think the OP wanted literaly the worst smelling fragrance not waste of a fragrance LOL.

Unforgivable literaly makes my stomach churn, but I actually like the smell.

Polo Sport smells like really old Tang(the drink mix), but to be fair it was a tester that may have spoiled in sunlight or something.

Burberry The Beat is a terrible fragrance with way to much pepper.

There are many mishaps in obscure niche, experiments gone awry and so forth, but Allure Sensuelle astounded me with its burnt plastic and cheese accord, right out there in mainstream. How does this sell...?

Creed fragrances and Chanel. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by smokecat20 View Post
    Creed fragrances and Chanel. Seriously.
    Nice second post. Now you look like a complete fool!

Quote Originally Posted by Young Dro View Post
    Kouros
    blasphemy!

for me, compared to the cost, paco rabanne one million... disgusting.

GIT, MI and Terre De Hermes THE WORST EVER!!!
    -AVENTUS-

New West.

It sums up everything wrong with mass-market perfumery. It smells cheap, chemical and lowest-common-denominator.

Even the bottle makes me want to vomit with rage.
    Last edited by blueyezz; 25th July 2011 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by paulik View Post
    All phrases in my reply should be prefixed with "In my opinion". As should yours, dear reader

On topic: Grey Flannel - smells cheap and old. Really cheap. I had a sample and just threw it away. I thought I could not even give it away, any receiver might get offended.

Off-topic:

1) I cannot understand how someone can judge a fragrance based on top notes. "oh, I smelled it and it hit me in the face...". Why not have a few minutes, at most 1/2 an hour of patience and see what it morphs into? You will NOT wear top notes. Just middle and base.

I agree, A-Men is a punch in the face initially, but it changes quickly. That sickening sweet odour fades away. I regret some people have no patience. And I must say that on my skin it stays very close. Lasts an eternity, but very close. It is an original, it came in a pouch and a City Cube, with a perfectly valid code which I entered on their site etc. So it is 100% real. I guess it's a skin chemistry thing.

Surprisingly, while it is very-very good initially, A-men just gets better in time and is absolutely fantastic on my skin 24+ hours after application

By the way, I smelled in stores some A-men testers that were perhaps stale, the fragrance had no connection with the bottle I own.

2) "It is too strong...". No perfume is "too strong". Just don't over-apply it. You cannot apply Kouros or A-men like you apply some, I don't know, Kenneth Cole or Calvin Klein watery stuff. Isn't it? You cannot drink whiskey in the same amount as beer (I know, some people can ) ). So, just apply very lightly and work your way up. 1-2 puffs of Kouros may be very different than 6 (6 would probably kill the people in an office building).
    I agree with almost all of what you've said, but personally I'm not going to give any fragrance that smells bad and, as you put it, "punches me in the face" a full day to complete its devilry. A*Men might be life-changing after 24 hours, but it will never reach that point on me. It's really gross when it starts, and doesn't change its sugar-coated burning tire smell within the first twenty minutes -- and that's when I wash it off, as best I can. I don't think I lack patience; I just don't have a nose of iron. You can have mine!

there is bad, and then there is A*Men

Secrétions Magnifique, by far. But a piece of Art.

Biotherm Homme Force, the ultimate "aquatic." See if you can find it and let me know what you think.

la nuit de l'homme
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Quote Originally Posted by tdwctdwc View Post
    la nuit de l'homme
    You Can't Be Serious. Not a great fragrance but not bad at all.

Dior Homme/Intense. I find it an offensive, sickly, lipstick chemical bomb. Definite scrubber.

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    This probably has been posted before, but I'm pretty new, and I'm interested in what you think is the single worst fragrance you've ever smelled, and why (try to pick just one, and be specific about what it is about the frag you really hate).

My pick: Lilac Vegetal (Pinaud). It literally smells like urine mixed with rotting cabbage. And those are the top notes!
    Shamu1, brother, I'm confused. I blind bought Lilac Vegetal based on your thumb's up, 7/10 reommendation! What gives?!? In any event, I agree with your post here that the opening is yuck. However, I agree with your thumbs up, 7/10 review that the heart and dry down are good, even if not great.

Worst fragrance that I've ever smelled is Dunhill Desire Red (apparently not to be confused by Desire Red by Alfred Dunhill). You know that syrupy candy in a squeeze tube that gives you a cavity just by looking it at it? Add some uber strong musky smell on top of that and you have a smell like Dunhill Desire Red.

Ungaro Apparition Homme
    Paul Sebastian Design For Men (Stomach Acid..Blech!)
    A*Men (Synthetic chocolate with mint and patchouli..ew)
    Burberry Weekend
    Claiborne For Men
    Versace Jeans Couture (Or any Versace for that matter)

Ralph Lauren Chaps
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Corvo View Post
    I live in the middle of nowhere and haven't had the dubious pleasure of experiencing Sécrétions Magnifiques. The only (men's) fragrance that made me nauseous has been Yatagan, with Bijan running a close second. I also find Grey Flannel pretty oppressive -- like being buried in lavender and powder -- and can't abide Quorum.
    A neat trick, seeing as there' s not a drop of lavender in Grey Flannel. Does anyone who hates Grey Flannel actually know what it smells like?

I've yet to smell something worse than Nautica Voyage.

CKin2u is an abomination.
    Guerlain Heritage made my skin crawl.
    But by far the worst I've tried is C&S Dark Rose.