Code of Conduct
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: Worst Fragrance Ever???

Sécrétions Magnifiques. Sorry but it's a vomit inducing scent.
    Funny that some fragrances considered by many of you as THE WORST are actually best sellers .

Thumbs down Re: Worst Fragrance Ever???

Just thinking of the frags I never show to ppl at the counter because they gave me hives:
    Men- Coach Leatherware
    Women's- Calyx and O de Lancome. The latter I would spray on a card when I was trying to stay awake at work, worked everytime like smelling salts from hell.

I'm not a big fan of the Montale's I've tried, but have only had samples of them.

In my collection, the one I have lately come to despise in Fahrenheit 32, I so wanted to like it, but No.. just NO.

OH! and Womanity Just vile!! Imagine being told "Don't try to tell them it contains caviar... It's written on the tester bottle and it's all I smell when I spray it.

Cool novelty bottle, but who would want to smell exactly like black pepper?

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOpera View Post

OH! and Womanity Just vile!! Imagine being told "Don't try to tell them it contains caviar... It's written on the tester bottle and it's all I smell when I spray it.
    X2. Womanity is actually the first fragrance I smelled that made me question the world and who would wear such a concoction. I literally gagged and got a headache to the point of nausea. I was surprised it was a perfume! (no exaggeration)

Dependent

Honestly, I think Joop! Homme and Kouros are the only scents I can think of at the moment that make me cringe, literally.

Diesels Fuel for Life is unbearably horrid. Bleu de Chanel for the rancid fruit that seemingly only my skin can create from its application.

Caron Pour Un Homme

Revolting lavender fragrance that reminds me of an old man in a barber shop.

Banned

tie between Brut and Drakkar Noir.

those two scents are responsible for the "cologne guy" label we all battle every day still. a-holes who wore those two frags in the 80's ruined the reputation of true fragrance lovers for life.

Halston Z-14. Maybe it smelled different once upon a time, but the stuff you can buy in stores now? Big Red chewing gum and some sort of vegetable compost. It literally made me nauseous. Worst blind buy ever.
    My top 5: Sea Mist; Minnow; Crab, tiger, and almonds; Semprini; Rancid Polecat N° 2

Have not really smelled anything that was truly vile, but Obsession, s. Oliver Original, Armani Code Sport, Ferrari Red, Dirty English, Blue Sugar, The Dreamer, Drakkar Noir.

Edit - I own a bottle of Armani Code Sport now, it's awesome! Might have to retry Obsession one day lol.
    Last edited by Rüssel; 20th October 2012 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Revision of opinion

Kouros. It firmly belongs in the 80's. I truely believe I will NEVER smell a worse fragrance.

1. Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme (Van Cleef & Arpels)
    2. Tea For Two (L'Artisan Parfumeur)
    3. Apparition Intense (Ungaro)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOpera View Post

Agreed, this is like the female version of the worst male fragrance ever ( JOOP) but with rotten fish stench...
    The Dreamer from Versace: what does this scent have that is so alluring and enticing towards the opposite sex ?

Grey Flannel is still my least favorite fragrance.

Polo

Im encountering it as we speak , Fleurs d'oranger, from Serge Lutens . Its disgusting arse crack urinal cake tuberose and neroli the worst thing Ive tried in years ....

Has anyone mentioned the one in the bulbous black-green bottle with the giant lips yet? If not, that's the one. An unspeakable, eye-watering horror.

Salvador Dali ?

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    Salvador Dali ?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vbs View Post
    Halston Z-14. Maybe it smelled different once upon a time, but the stuff you can buy in stores now? Big Red chewing gum and some sort of vegetable compost. It literally made me nauseous. Worst blind buy ever.

Still to this day the worst fragrance I've ever smelled. I've really cooled on 1-12 as well.

I think A Men and Aventus probably.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    1. Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme (Van Cleef & Arpels)
    2. Tea For Two (L'Artisan Parfumeur)
    3. Apparition Intense (Ungaro)
    Them's fighting words!

In my opinion, Beyonce Heat is the worst fragrance I have ever smelled. Burberry Brit fro men is awful as hell, too. The worst, however, is probably something I've never smelled before that involves a hell of a lot of Cotton Candy.

I don't get the hate for womanity. It's an actually tolerable spicy fruit fragrance which is quite an accomplishment. The "caviar" note is just the marketing team being werid; it does have a touch of a metallic note that is a bit more blood than caviar. Overall, though, I think it's way better than 95% of the shit on the market(Beyonce Heat).

SL Serge Noire
    Want to trade - Tom Ford Extreme for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Aventus x02....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

Quote Originally Posted by Tidal Wave View Post
    Cool novelty bottle, but who would want to smell exactly like black pepper?
    Come on haha, it's not that bad! They do overdo it on the pepper. I still like it sometimes.
    Bongo for men. Smells like weeds and burnt grass and not the good kind of grass haha. And believe it or not I own it!

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by vbs View Post
    Yes this fragrance was absolutely destroyed in reformulation. I agree about your assessment of the new formulation. Also to me it smells just like dentist's rotary machine tooth polish. Disgusting.

The old formulation is terrific. The clear inspiration for Valentino Vendetta and Tom Ford Italian Cypress.

A*Men or any chocolate or coffee scents

Geir by Geir Ness...sickly sweet and floral. It was my worst blind buy ever...

Kouros by YSL

Unlimited by Victorinox

ungaro iii

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    ungaro iii
    I don't know about the worst but it's up there, along with Creed Original Santal and Tea for Two, for me anyway.

leave Fahrenheit alone, bloody bullying children!

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    Has anyone mentioned the one in the bulbous black-green bottle with the giant lips yet? If not, that's the one. An unspeakable, eye-watering horror.
    Oh, definitely! Stomach-churning.
    I also cannot stand Kouros, Rive Gauche and DHI.
    Ah, it feels good to let it out...
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

1) Virgilio
    2) English Fern
    3) Zafar

Light Blue Pour Homme is very close...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Kouros. I gave it a second chance recently and just... no. It smells like a bathroom.

Kokorico makes me wanna throw up.

Smell Bent's Saddle Warmer. It's so bad that it pisses me off just thinking about it. lol (seriously)
    Wild at Heart and Weird on Top

Savage West by Panco. I can't believe I actually wore this scent. It's brutal! Sharp, brash, leather shit that went on for hours. I remember how the liquid turned the black finish on the (plastic) bottle into a gooey mess. This scent is long gone, but you can still find it on Ebay sometimes. The cologne came in a glass bottle and is perhaps a little more wearable. The black plastic bottle was the aftershave that was sold at the grocery store. Very vile stuff.

1968.......bond street ( yardley )...killed many chimpanzees..it was .awfull.

Quote Originally Posted by Markymark View Post
    I have a soft place in my heart for nasty stinkers but this one as you pointed out gets the cake ... I bought it a few months ago and returned it promptly. Total barf in a bottle.
    Lilac vegetal from Pinaud does start out with a BO and cat piss accord but the secret with this is to wait 5-10 minutes and it becomes magnificent. Here in Rochester NY we celebrate the lilac with an annual festival. When thousands of lilac bushes bloom together on a humid night, the scent approaches Lilac Vegetal because of the intensity of the fragrance, but it calms down soon enough. A field of lily plants in full bloom on a humid night can also smell as intense and unpleasant as someone using a whole bottle of Joop or Le Male as a splash cologne.

Basenotes Plus

L'Eau D'Issey P H to me is the olfactory equivalent of nails scraping on a blackboard. But I don't think it's significance can be denied. It just gives me the willies. Secretions Manifiques as bizarre as it is, is at least interesting to smell from time to time, wondering what the perfumer was going for. Grey Flannel makes me despair. When I encounter some stranger wearing it, which is surprizingly often, I actually feel sorry for that person. Like I wish I could help them but know I can't. I've always found Alien pretty bad. None of these things fail from lack of audacity though.

Both Azzaro Chrome and Black XS actually make me gag a bit. But Black XS is really the worst fragrance I've ever smelled. I should note that I've not smelled most of the ones listed here.

As usual, the Basenotes unanimity of opinion is breathtaking. If Basenotes was truly influential, there would be no fragrances left on the market.

I don't care for most of the Burberry line but I do like London.

I picked up IX Rocawear for next to nothing because I thought the packaging was so stupidly ridiculous I had to try it. I did and it gave me a headache so bad I had to not only scrub it off thoroughly but take heavily effective medication. It was literally a "I'd rather kill myself than feel this" sort of migraine.

Unbelievably I tried it at least a couple more times, ready to face the worst, and it brought on more (albeit milder) headaches each time. Needless to say it's the worst thing I've ever smelled in my entire life.
    Body Kouros, Fahrenheit and other designer bottles for trade in My Swap Thread

Sexual Sugar Daddy
    Mambo
    Dunhill Desire
    Versace V/S

The worst fragrance I have smelled that gets a lot of love is L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme Issey Miyake for men
    to me this one smell like cucumbers / onions mixed with vinegar. It makes me repulse because I have horrible memories of my mother trying to force feed me cucumbers and onions drenched in vinegar as a kid... hell even the dog would not eat that crap.

With that said, the one and only scent that has made me gag and recoil is some Arabic fragrance my brother in-law (born and raised in the UAE) owns. I am not sure what it was because there was no English at all on the bottle but it was a very strong heavy musky scent. The next time I talk to him I will try to get the name of this fragrance.
    Living each day one spray at a time

kourus-YSL

I'd get a refund on your nose if you don't like rive gauche. That said, I can see why you wouldn't like Kouros, it's a patchouli horror story.

I only sampled it once, and very briefly at that, but I found The Dreamer quite revolting stuff.

Kenzo Pour Homme Sport

Had a sample of this with my package of some bottles. Damn the spicyness in this is just... Bwadr! I couldnt even was it off!

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy2012 View Post
    I'd get a refund on your nose if you don't like rive gauche. That said, I can see why you wouldn't like Kouros, it's a patchouli horror story.
    I wonder how much I'd get back because it doesn't appeal to me either...though I wouldn't put it anywhere on this list.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by Mudi2800 View Post
    Kenzo Pour Homme Sport

Had a sample of this with my package of some bottles. Damn the spicyness in this is just... Bwadr! I couldnt even was it off!
    Agree with Kenzo Homme Sport. Just terrible fragrance. I had to wash it of.

- Emporio Armani City Glam for Him (smells like something to wash a car with)
    - Fraîche Badiane (1994) by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier (smells like urinal)
    - Méchant Loup (1997) by L'Artisan Parfumeur (it has some sweetness that makes me sick)

It's probably been posted already, but I think Tommy Hilfiger Loud is pretty awful.
    Do happy

Emporio Armani Diamonds for Men.

Thick, cloying synthetic sweetness that makes your nose and stomach turn. And this is coming from a guy that has the constant Basenotes controversy target A*Men as one of his all-time favorites (it's an absolute masterpiece compared to this). If I want an Armani scent, I'll stick with Acqua di Gio or the original Emporio Armani He.

Bonus: Emporio Armani Diamonds is the only fragrance that I've had to scrub off because of a family member's reaction (and she likes fragrances, too).
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Back to Black - By Kilian
    3) Musk Oud - By Kilian
    4) Encre Noire - Lalique
    5)
    M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

JPG. Gross
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

This thread is funny. What's the difference between this thread and the "BEST of all time" thread? Hard to tell--there's a lot of overlap.

Quote Originally Posted by Critic View Post
    Ralph Lauren Chaps
    The original 1979 one in the brown bottle (now discontinued, thankfully), or the new one in the clear bottle?
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Back to Black - By Kilian
    3) Musk Oud - By Kilian
    4) Encre Noire - Lalique
    5)
    M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Glad I saw this! Almost bought a good sized decant of this. Maybe 1/2 ml now.

Basenotes Junkie anomie et ivoire's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Only the worst to my nose, and partially because they could be so good:

Feminine: Missoni (2006). Some make excuses for Missoni because it's a Roucel comp and is "complicated." To me it is the olfactive representation of 'fail.' Because I was more of a read-about-stuff and enjoy-the-science-of-it kind of person and not a natural frag-head to begin with, Luca Turin's recommendations helped me get into plenty of good stuff, but he was so off his rocker five starring Missoni, in particular since he did so largely based on the explanations of the perfumer.

Masculine: Ok, so this isn't a "times Turin was wrong" thread, but another Turin-praised one that I absolutely hate is New York by Nicolai, though that's not objective worst scent territory, more a matter of how much I despise blinding, wafty sunny citrus.
    Last edited by anomie et ivoire; 16th July 2012 at 11:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by andylama View Post
    This thread is funny. What's the difference between this thread and the "BEST of all time" thread? Hard to tell--there's a lot of overlap.
    Heh, and every scent know to man seems to garner the "most female compliments."