Code of Conduct

Default CO washing - can a guy benefit from it?

I'm a guy and I have difficult to manage wavy hair. Recently I've been reading about concerns with the potentially carcinogenic and/or harsh detergents used in shampoos (SLS/SLES/ALS/ALES), and then I read about a method called CO washing (Conditioner Only washing) which is supposed to both clean the hair with less "harmful" detergent AND leave the hair softer and easier to manage, which sound good to me.

This method seems most popular with Black women due to, I guess, their thick hair. So far I only came across women who use CO washing, but I wondered if a guy could also benefit from it? I'm not sure if it would help my normal male length hair (it is wavy). Any comments would be appreciated!

Hillaire

Default Re: CO washing - can a guy benefit from it?

I have only cowashed for almost two years. My formerly wiry, flyaway hair is so much better that I have totally sold a few family members on it, just by being a walking advertisement! My son and my dad included!
    My husband co washes most days, but still shampoos about once a week.
    Everyone is happier.
    Why in the world would anyone think it was for women? My hairdresser convinced me of it and he is a man! who cowashes!
    I recommend Pureolgy conditioners.
    And be patient, it takes a couple of weeks for your hair to balance out.

Thank you Hillaire. I guess the main purpose of CO washing is to make dry hair more manageable, is that right? I'm still not sure whether I have dry, oily, or normal hair (I don't think it's excessively dry, nor is it very oily, so maybe it's "normal" - but who knows), but I definitely have wavy hair that can be difficult to tame.

It's pretty cool that you got the male family members to CO wash. What kind of hair do they have?

I also started reading the book "Don't go to the hair care counter without me" or something like that... maybe that will help me identify my hair type.
    Last edited by karisuma; 19th May 2009 at 02:19 PM.

Hillaire

We ALL have thick wavy hair that is also dry.
    But I think Co washing is for anyone. Sulphates and even the newer, better detergents cause an imbalance of oil-production of the scalp, which contributes to oily hair, dandruff, balding, etc.
    The objective of cowashing, as I understand it, is to remove dirt without irritating the scalp and softer, more manageable hair is a bonus.

It doesn't hurt to try it. I've tried, but my hair looks too greasy, even though it is wavy/curly. My mom has much curlier, harder to tame hair than I do and did not like it either. Maybe your conditioner of choice makes a difference. You could also try a leave in conditioner or other styling products to get the effect you want. When it comes to hair, the options seem nearly endless.

I read an article in which some famous hair guy (sorry, don't really know much about the hairdressing world) talked about what products he recommends. He recommended shampooing every other day and conditioning every day. Best part? According to him, it doesn't matter what shampoo you use, as long as you water it down.

Now I buy the cheapest shampoo possible and water it down to about 60% concentration. My hair is softer than ever and I save a ton on shampoo.

Quote Originally Posted by jacona View Post
    It doesn't hurt to try it. I've tried, but my hair looks too greasy, even though it is wavy/curly. My mom has much curlier, harder to tame hair than I do and did not like it either. Maybe your conditioner of choice makes a difference. You could also try a leave in conditioner or other styling products to get the effect you want. When it comes to hair, the options seem nearly endless.

I have used CO wash after reading about it here on BN. Yes, the choice of conditioner matters. I found that you should first use one that normally does not condition very well. Examples of what worked for me: Herbal essence, some Garniers, Suave. When I tried using something like Dove or Pantene my hair ended up looking limp and greasy. After you "wash" with this one you can continue with your regular conditioner.

Its actually the detergents in shampoo that are causing the hair to frizz. I had the same problem because my hair isn't straight nor is it completely curly. Its wavy. I found a product line that caters completely to curly hair and have been using it almost a year now. Its called Deva Curl. The shampoo doesn't lather, hence little to no frizz. Its a small line with shampoo, conditioner and a few styling products. Ever since I have switched over it has made a world of difference.

happy is the bleu heart<3

I've been using WEN products for a few weeks now. It is a conditioner cleanser system. I totally LOVE the results. (I'm not affiliated BTW, just a happy customer.) And yes, men can and do use this system.

I've been using the Lavender system. My hair is naturally curly and I color it. I have been losing a lot of hair due to my medications. In trying another brand of shampoo that was designed for hair loss, I just about fried my hair. It looked horrible! so dry and lifeless and with very little curl left. But now, after WEN, my hair is looking really good again.

For information: http://www.chazdean.com/

(It is also sold on QVC)
    I've trademarked the color bleu