Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default IT ARRIVED: Vol de Nuit Extrait purchase

Today, someone I know told me they have found a vintage 1oz bottle of vintage Vol de Nuit Extrait (pictured) that they are going to sell. I've never tried this Guerlain release (least of all a vintage extrait of it), but have engaged in a recent discussion with another member here about it. This has encouraged me to read more about it too, and it *sounds* as though it might appeal to me. I am NOT one to normally buy blind, as having done so twice in the past has ended me up with a pair of scrubbers.

My question is this... what is a "fair price" to pay for this? I don't want to be blinded by the flacon's beauty and charmed at the idea of owning a nice vintage Guerlain, and fork out more than I ought to. This person has not suggested a price yet, but I am ready to jump at it - if the price is right, of course.

Anyone have any suggestions?
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 8th June 2009 at 05:06 PM.

Default Re: Vol de Nuit Extrait purchase

I think they use to go for 170 - 180 USD on ebay. And hey - if you donīt like it you know who to contact...
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Of course Pelle!
    It was you who drew my attention to this release to begin with.
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 19th May 2009 at 07:32 AM.

Well considering an ounce of new VdN is around £170 now anything less than that is a bargain IMO .

I would snap it up myself ....

i think u should leave the price matter to the person who is selling it.
    that is the best thing.

it is a nice fragrance. it somehow reminds me of diorella.

Mo, Im not hoping to influence the price - that is totally up to the seller.
    I just want to know what is a reasonable price to pay.

Hello Dimi,

depands on how mkutch u like it.
    I wouldnt pay more than 120€ for it.

you dont know who it smells and you cant compaire it any more to what i was in the early days.
    i have bought a vintage shalimar tear drop bortle 400ml.
    smells gourgous , i do recognize the SHALIMARNESS in it.
    but it does smell like another scent. i still like it allot.

What i want to say is that u have no refference to what it must smell like.
    so u will never know if the smell did change pr lost some power or some notes.

Well, last time VdN extrait sold on eBay it was for $160 and that was a 15ml and not even in the original bottle. The time before that the exact same bottle as you describe went for much less, I think $150 for the 30ml.

Vintage VdN extrait is quite a rare find on eBay these days since the fragrance was nowhere near as popular as Mitsouko or Shalimar back in the day... I'd say $250 is definitely fair and probably more than fair. If you don't like it I very much welcome you to pm me, I'm dying to get my hands on it!

EDIT: I just noticed that it's not sealed anymore? that changes things quite a bit...
    Last edited by Merlino; 19th May 2009 at 10:17 AM.
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & RÍve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Another thing I wanted to add: contrary to current formulation Mitsouko and L'Heure Bleue, the current formulation of VdN is very good (by coincidence, I'm sporting it today ). If you don't like that one you're not going to like the vintage either, I think.
    Last edited by Merlino; 19th May 2009 at 12:05 PM. Reason: grammar :o
    Chant d'Aromes extrait

Selling/swapping:
    ---

To reject such a bottle will be hard.. Hope you'll find the right solution Dimitri..
    unico grande amore.

Hi Dimi - nice find! As said here, depends on 1) is it sealed? 2) no evaporation? If sealed and no evaporation, I'd personally pay up to, say, 180 Ä since it's a 60s edition.

I bought a .25 oz, 90's vintage bottle for $90 recently. It was sealed in the box. Vol de Nuit is wonderful in that Youth Dew way. A rich and resinous oriental.

Yum! Ruggs you make it sound wonderful.
    The plus side is that a regular bottle of VdN is due to appear on my doorstep later this week or early next week en route to another BN'er. He has been kind enough to allow me a sniff as it passes through, so at very least I will have an idea of what Im in for. Im all for "rich and resinous" orientals!
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 19th May 2009 at 03:13 PM.

Here's what I wrote about it on my site:

Vol de Nuit is really dark like the night - it's the most successful of Jacques Guerlain's "1930's style" perfumes that all seem to share a mystic, gloomy and "lonely" atmosphere, thanks to dry, herbal-earthy-mineral or leathery notes. Vol de Nuit is the only classic range survivor of Jacques Guerlain's post-Shalimar perfumes and not least renowned for its wistful scent of galbanum and daffodil. It's scarce on top notes, so you are in the middle of its green-brown, herbal-woody heart the moment it is let out of its bottle. Together, L'Heure Bleue, Mitsouko and Vol de Nuit are often referred to as "sister fragrances" because of their shared spicy qualities. Yet, Vol de Nuit is the darkest, least flowery and most aromatic of the three, and consequently some people find it to be a unisex fougŤre-like fragrance, just like Jicky.

Thanks Mr Guerlain... I had hoped you might weigh in on this one. I am yet to discover how much has been used or evaporated (I am also hoping to have more photos to scrutinise).

Basenotes Institution

Dimitri, how exciting.

I have sampled Vol de Nuit in the EdT and in the parfum.

I didn't like the powdery aspect of the EdT. As you know I am not a fan of powdery scents, but there are some Guerlain's that I will wear that are powdery simply because the olfactory aura they give off is dusty and slightly different than just the smell of talcum powder. But it seemed as if VdN EdT didn't have this aura - it, just smelled like talcum powder and slightly feminized the fragrance (in my mind).

But the parfum, well that was incredibly wonderful. It took me about three wearings to even figure out the smell - it doesn't really smell like any oriental I've ever smelled before. The galbanum, that's very present, when you apply it is more akin to a green scent (or a fougere) not an oriental, but the way it's woven into the overall fragrance is really, really special. When it dries down, it turns very antiquated and got me a little melancholic. It has a weightiness to it, that diffuses around you when you wear it, but yet it's very subtle. I wore the last of my parfum sample a couple of months ago, on a sad Sunday evening - it seemed like the perfect scent for the moment I was in. I will never forget that night.

In addition, as Mr. Guerlain has already pointed out, the box (showing in the picture) proves that this is 1960's era VdN. When I saw the picture, my heart skipped a beat a little - since when it comes to VdN this is the EXACT formulation and bottle I would buy if I could.

What should you pay? How ever much you can afford Dimitri. As has been said before - I have tracked bottles just like this on Ebay (opened, not sealed) that have sold for more than $250.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 19th May 2009 at 04:20 PM.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Blog Entries

I love this scent. I have a brand new bottle from the French Shopper (Ebay) that was around the $250 price. It is fresh, which is a plus. I haven't noticed any faults in strength or beauty with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guerlain View Post
    Here's what I wrote about it on my site:

Vol de Nuit is really dark like the night - it's the most successful of Jacques Guerlain's "1930's style" perfumes that all seem to share a mystic, gloomy and "lonely" atmosphere, thanks to dry, herbal-earthy-mineral or leathery notes. Vol de Nuit is the only classic range survivor of Jacques Guerlain's post-Shalimar perfumes and not least renowned for its wistful scent of galbanum and daffodil. It's scarce on top notes, so you are in the middle of its green-brown, herbal-woody heart the moment it is let out of its bottle. Together, L'Heure Bleue, Mitsouko and Vol de Nuit are often referred to as "sister fragrances" because of their shared spicy qualities. Yet, Vol de Nuit is the darkest, least flowery and most aromatic of the three, and consequently some people find it to be a unisex fougŤre-like fragrance, just like Jicky.
    This is the most spot-on description I have ever read about Vol de Nuit. There's something wonderfully gloomy about the minimal top notes. You are forced into sulking awhile for it to share its magnificence. I think it's worth the wait.
    Don a wig of larks and fly!

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Vol de Nuit Extrait purchase

This is a marvelous opportunity. The box type indicates 1960's and if no evaporation and sealed, and it were me, I would place value at $200 to $275. Anything less would be a bargain IMO. If you don't buy it let us know where it can be had. I am sure it won't last long.

Dimitri,
    you are just a lucky person!
    I was looking for that bottle (since I bought VdN (15 ml, perfume, 90`s, usual bottle, USD 70)) with no luck.
    Seems to me this bottle (in perfect unopened condition) could cost from 150 to 300 euro.
    And I`m sure that you could find the same bottles on perfume collectioners meetings (bourses) in Europe quite regularly.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Thank you for the ballpark figures everyone.

Moon_fish, I only wish that Denmark would hold such a fair! Seems I might have to nip across to Holland or Germany sometime where they really do it in style!

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Thank you for the ballpark figures everyone.

Moon_fish, I only wish that Denmark would hold such a fair! Seems I might have to nip across to Holland or Germany sometime where they really do it in style!
    It`s a small world after all, and everything in EU is quite close (well, compared to Russia scale) - so I believe that you will be in France, Holland or Germany quite soon

At least, I would went there until I find some vintage VdN and Sous le Vent.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Well, the lo-down is that its a sealed bottle (1oz 7 30ml) completely full.
    $225 + shipping.

Sound worthwhile?

Yes. Grab it!

A 30 ml bottle of new parfum is over $300, and occasionally I see a parfum tester of the newer formulation on ebay for around $180-$200. A 30 ml vintage, full and sealed is a treasure!
    Last edited by Asha; 21st May 2009 at 03:28 PM.

$225 + shipping.

Sound worthwhile?
    No-brainer. Please please please () pm me should you decide not to buy it!
    Chant d'Aromes extrait

Selling/swapping:
    ---

Basenotes Institution

$225 + shipping.

Sound worthwhile?
    Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Default Re: UPDATED: Vol de Nuit Extrait purchase

Sweet jebus... I am ready to pull the trigger... but Im sooooo not one to buy blind! *groan*

Thanks for the encouragement fabulous people!

Dimitri, when they ship it to you, make sure they use parafilm around the stopper neck (if needed) and pack the box and bottle separately (more secure for shipping).

Basenotes Institution

Sweet jebus... I am ready to pull the trigger... but Im sooooo not one to buy blind! *groan*

Thanks for the encouragement fabulous people!
    I totally understand D - of course, here we are egging you on to spend your money on the blind buy, for a fragrance we know we like. SIlly, I know, but you asked for it.

I rarely blind buy these days also. However, ever since I became a Guerlainaholic (Hi, my name is Mike, and I'm an....) I have purchased a handful of Guerlain fragrances blind. All of them I was happy with. The newer Guerlain's should NOT be blind bought (I hated Guerlain Homme and the new Aqua Allegoria's). But vintage Guerlain? I will blind buy vintage Guerlain in a heartbeat.

Of course, only you can be the final judge of whether it's worth it or not.

But don't expect us Guerlainaholics to stop enabling you.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 21st May 2009 at 04:41 PM.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Aha ! That's exactly the one I have been after. (Thanks for the pic !) ... I just luv that fab zebra-striped box. It's the "cherry on the top" of an already magnificent, iconic bottle ! ... And then of course the magical "jus" can only be excellent !

Ok, I may have to beg your (collective) pardon here too.. but is there a difference between the bottles from the 50s/60s (left) and earlier ones (right)?

I note a paper label on one of them which is not on the other.

The paper label simply indicates that the product is not to be sold by unauthorized vendors. This particular style label with the red marley horse logo was used between 1930 and 1950. The juice inside I don't know - I've never tried pre-1960's VdN.
    Chant d'Aromes extrait

Selling/swapping:
    ---

Sweet - thanks Merlino for the info.

so, are you going to go for it?

I have a small samples of the 40s extrait and it's amazing!

For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

so, are you going to go for it?

I have a small samples of the 40s extrait and it's amazing!

For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

I've asked for a few more details/photos which will be sent to me soon, and will sleep on it tonight. At the moment it looks as if I might.

I wanted the vintage extrait for so long, but I am such a cheapskate. I wasn't willing to go over $125. And it never fails when a VdN bottle pops up on eBay and I have no cash to snap it up.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Not really an update is it , for goodness sake just buy it and dont be such a drama queen

The update was the price was divulged, silly!
    DONT PRESSURE ME!
    *pant, pant*

Then pull the trigger and buy it ........ otherwise PM me the details of the seller

Hey buddy, you're going to have to wait in line!
    Chant d'Aromes extrait

Selling/swapping:
    ---

I am finally chiming in.
    Buy it!! It is one of the masterpieces of the Guerlain stable of scents. It smells fabulous, it is timeless, it is one of the top 10 greatest in my opinion.
    To miss an opportunity of this magnitude would be something to ponder through older age.
    Good luck
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser ŗ sa source

Dimi,
    225 + shipping for sealed full bottle?
    Come on, buy it and then we`ll arrange the grand-swap
    Vetiver The Great!!!

OK, Ive buckled... peer pressure 'n' all that, lol!
    Im going to buy it today/tomorrow and pray it makes it through the mail.

No, don't buy it, its a Nigerian scam trying to steal your money! Just kidding. Tell us how it goes afterwards
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

Yes! VdN is one of my favorite Guerlain's, even in its current formulation. Stunning. Great buy Dimitri!

OK, Ive buckled... peer pressure 'n' all that, lol!
    Im going to buy it today/tomorrow and pray it makes it through the mail.

Congratulations Dimitri.. Now I got my first vintage, I know you can't wait, haha
    unico grande amore.

Excellent choice Dimi ... I'm pretty sure that you shall not regret it ! ......

But just in case you do ..... you'll know just in which direction to throw it (wink wink, nudge nuge ) .... Then again, you will probably have quite a few of us tearing each other limb from limb, just to get front in line ! .... The "Great Vol de Nuit Massacre of 2009" ...... (LOL) !
    Last edited by Sybarite; 30th May 2009 at 07:11 AM.

Dimi, don't will your fragrances to any of us. If you do we'll conspire to kill you.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Pretty much, yeah! Although there's a certain other Danish person on the top of my hitlist...
    Chant d'Aromes extrait

Selling/swapping:
    ---

Methinks Mr Guerlain and I should start digging a bunker!

(Just wait 'til I get him alone down there,... all of his smells are miiiiiine!)

Haha yeah a Guerlain bunker! Congrats Dimi, report back when you got it! I'm jealous you know!

I will - but Im sure you have the extrait too!

Yes but not such a very old one

I will - but Im sure you have the extrait too!

Basenotes Institution

Good to hear D.

Do me a favor - give it at least a handful of wearings before you make a decision about it. VdN is one of those scents that it takes several wearings to wrap your head around.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Really? It took me about a nanosecond to fall in love with it
    Chant d'Aromes extrait

Selling/swapping:
    ---

I'm with you Mike, it took me half a year to really love its powdery iris and green-brown heart - but I was also Guerlain novice back then

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Good to hear D.

Do me a favor - give it at least a handful of wearings before you make a decision about it. VdN is one of those scents that it takes several wearings to wrap your head around.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Good to hear D.

Well, Pelle shared a small amount with me from a current EDT. I was blown away actually and wondered why the heck I hadn't been exposed to this one sooner. I have some experience with extraits as I ownd the Angel extrait once, and have a few other vintage ones and think I know what I can expect from the VdN. However, part of me thinks its likely to be 10 times more than I can imagine for now.
    I think after so much deliberation I would be too crazy if I didn't buy it, just to see what I've been contemplating for so long.

One last piccie of the bottle which will be en route in a couple of days:

Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 30th May 2009 at 06:05 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Well, Pelle shared a small amount with me from a current EDT. I was blown away actually and wondered why the heck I hadn't been exposed to this one sooner. I have some experience with extraits as I ownd the Angel extrait once, and have a few other vintage ones and think I know what I can expect from the VdN. However, part of me thinks its likely to be 10 times more than I can imagine for now.
    The extrait is IMO so much better than the EdT. Mind you, I only tested new EdT (rather than vintage) but I found the VdN EdT rather lacking whereas the parfum is just hugely deep and complex.

So excited for you D.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 30th May 2009 at 07:47 PM.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

I have the extrait, but sometimes I want it a bit lighter, and the EDT is great for that. For me, it did not take long to "get it":

1st wearing: what?
    2nd wearing: mmm, galbanum
    3rd wearing: where have you been all my life?