Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: IT ARRIVED: Vol de Nuit Extrait purchase

DEAR LORD my Extrait just arrived and I'm beside myself!!

I have to say the packaging and bottle itself is an ABSOLUTE thing of beauty! It almost seems like a shame to open this wonderful flacon! Here is a photo I've snapped just today... it may take me a bit to convince myself to open this, but when I do, I will most certainly report back here *sqweal!*
    :bounce::bounce::bounce:

Come on don't be shy, bust that thing open like a v____n girl.

Im gonna pretend you didn't just say that...

C'mon man, give us some more info. What do the bottom and the sides of the bottle look like (stickers etc.)?? How does it smell???
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & RÍve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Merlino View Post
    C'mon man, give us some more info. What do the bottom and the sides of the bottle look like (stickers etc.)?? How does it smell???
    The only sticker reads NET CONTENT 1 FL OZ, which you can see in the photo above. There are no stickers on the base... just an impression stating the company name, and that the bottle was made in France. As for the smell... I think my curiosity get the bettor of me sooner rather than later.

We need more pictures and a smell impression!!! You know you want to, just do it take pictures maybe do a movie? You know itīs worth it.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    We need more pictures and a smell impression!!! You know you want to, just do it take pictures maybe do a movie? You know itīs worth it.
    You know what... I bloody DO want to! haha!

One more piccie that j'adore!

looks gorgeous!
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    The only sticker reads NET CONTENT 1 FL OZ, which you can see in the photo above. There are no stickers on the base... just an impression stating the company name, and that the bottle was made in France. As for the smell... I think my curiosity get the bettor of me sooner rather than later.
    Ahh I was asking since I'm very curious to know how old it is exactly! I'm loving the metal cap that's still on your bottle. Unfortunately it's not on the one I bought but that's okay.

BTW thanks for your kind words on the 'June bought' thread. I think I'm going to have to pm you each time I'm going to wear it to make sure we'll be true scent twins
    Chant d'Aromes extrait

Selling/swapping:
    ---

Ahh I was asking since I'm very curious to know how old it is exactly! I'm loving the metal cap that's still on your bottle. Unfortunately it's not on the one I bought but that's okay.

BTW thanks for your kind words on the 'June bought' thread. I think I'm going to have to pm you each time I'm going to wear it to make sure we'll be true scent twins
    This one very clearly has printed on the outer box: (C) Guerlain 1967... so it is 42 years young.
    Other than the cap, the other main difference I see on your zebra box is the text... mine reads simply Guerlain Paris, whereas yours states the fluid volume too.

Blog Entries

AWESOME photo! What is the perfect gold decoration in the background? Have you been saving it just for this bottle? You need to open it and do a comparison with a current extrait sample, too!

Woo Hoo ! ... Yay ! .... Isn't that just one of the most gorgeous objects ... ever !!! ... It's gonna be just hell now, wanting to dive in, but not wanting to touch that seal. ... Good luck ! ... Let's see how long you'll be able to resist ??? ... Though it's bound to drive you a little nutty ... I'd still swap places with you in a flash !

Oh ! ... and thanx for the stunning pics too, by the way !

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    AWESOME photo! What is the perfect gold decoration in the background? Have you been saving it just for this bottle? You need to open it and do a comparison with a current extrait sample, too!
    Thanks kumquat Actually the gold object is a large 1960's sunburst mirror that we have on our living room wall... I felt it the perfect reflected backdrop as it echoes the radiating lines of the "propellor" motif on the bottle. Thanks for noticing that detail by the way

Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post
    Woo Hoo ! ... Yay ! .... Isn't that just one of the most gorgeous objects ... ever !!! ... It's gonna be just hell now, wanting to dive in, but not wanting to touch that seal. ... Good luck ! ... Let's see how long you'll be able to resist ??? ... Though it's bound to drive you a little nutty ... I'd still swap places with you in a flash !

Oh ! ... and thanx for the stunning pics too, by the way !
    I know... its killin' me... but it ain't happening tonight. We had fish with dinner and it would be a crime to open that exquisite flacon and have the scent spoiled by the residual odour of pickled herring. lol!

Basenotes Plus

Dimitri, I understand perfectly. I bought a 1930-1950's LHB, unopened extrait and haven't been able to bring myself to open it. Mr. Guerlain told me it was called the "banded blue box". It feels very heavy but have no idea how big the bottle of perfume actually is.

It seems a shame to open it after all these years but it seems a shame not to.

I'm holding off because I may have to action it off, if my husband doesn't find work soon. And that's the truth of it.

Basenotes Institution

Congrat's D.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    Dimitri, I understand perfectly. I bought a 1930-1950's LHB, unopened extrait and haven't been able to bring myself to open it. Mr. Guerlain told me it was called the "banded blue box". It feels very heavy but have no idea how big the bottle of perfume actually is.

It seems a shame to open it after all these years but it seems a shame not to.

I'm holding off because I may have to action it off, if my husband doesn't find work soon. And that's the truth of it.
    RHM, I was completely enchanted with your exquisitely-wrapped find when you posted a thread about it a while back! I certainly feel your anguish! Hopefully it will not need to be auctioned off... "chin up" to hubby... I am confident a whole new chapter will open up for him just around the next bend.

So, when are you actually going to open this and smell it, and describe it to us?

AWESOME DIMI! I'm having a vicarious, only slightly envious thrill here

As I wrote on my Guerlain site:

"It has been said that Guerlain perfumes don't just smell. They talk. They talk to you about more than a century of events, ideas and feelings. The joy of opening an old box with a full sealed bottle of perfume from the forties, fifties, sixties, seventies, eighties - it feels like winning back time."

Isn't that just true?

Congrats D. Now open the damn thing LOL we're dying over here. :P

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    So, when are you actually going to open this and smell it, and describe it to us?
    Quote Originally Posted by Futami View Post
    Congrats D. Now open the damn thing LOL we're dying over here. :P
    See post No. 73 fellas!

Mr Guerlain... the whole process is very enchanting, and your words are so very true!
    Will send you a PM in a jiffy...

See post No. 73 fellas!

Yeah I can see where that might not layer well.

Stopper. Stuck.

GAH!!

Haha, owned.

Chant d'Aromes extrait

Selling/swapping:
    ---

Stop being such a drama queen , give the stopper a yank and be done with it or do we get a 2 page commentary on how you opened it , followed by 2 more pages of umming and arring over actually getting around to smelling it

Tsk tsk...don't be a catty green-eyed beyatch now! Here I was all set to go, and have had a momentary setback. Bottle in fridge and kettle at the boil as we speak.

BTW, I will post more stuff on this on my blog when the time comes, particularly if I'm perceived as being excessively indulgent with my posts here.

Not coming across as excessively indulgent to me in any way. But hey, I managed to fill two topics with the doubts, anxieties and final purchase of my vintage LHB bottle
    Chant d'Aromes extrait

Selling/swapping:
    ---

OK, to keep things brief - a PHENOMENAL SCENT!!! Not only that - its one that spurred on some sort of an epiphany for me. For a very indulgent rave, please visit the Vol de Nuit post in my blog (see link in my signature).
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 9th June 2009 at 06:06 PM.

I LOVE what you write about your experience on your blog, Dimi! It's just wonderful, so well written, so moving. Of course, I'm also flattered about your link to my site. You say that you don't know "if many of Jean-Paul Guerlain's creations are as absorbing as this one" - well, Jean-Paul had a totally different tradition, less abstract and impressionistic, and more focused on the smells of the garden. He may not have hit the nail as often as his grandfather, but I assure you, given these different contexts, his Chamade (vintage extrait) is as stunning as both L'Heure Bleue and Vol de Nuit. My opinion of course

Ooh heck! Thanks for pointing that out Mr Guerlain... I was thinking Jacques when I wrote Jean-Paul... have gone and corrected it.

I'm pleased you like my post, and perhaps experience something similar in terms of the "narrative" of this scent.

Oh but I totally do - I was with you all the way through! As I also do with vintage extraits of especially L'Heure Bleue and Shalimar. But Vol de Nuit IS special - green (galbanum), chypre (bitter, oak moss) and oriental (warm resin), unique, dark, nostalgic, subdued, glamorous. With a somehow lonely/tragic atmosphere that totally suits the Night Flight inspiration!

I'm pleased you like my post, and perhaps experience something similar in terms of the "narrative" of this scent.

Great blog post Dimitri, you're very eloquent! I can only hope the experience with my soon-to-arrive bottle will be as good as yours!
    Chant d'Aromes extrait

Selling/swapping:
    ---

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: IT ARRIVED: Vol de Nuit Extrait purchase

Dimitri: All I can say is that you are one lucky dude. I know how you feel with the aquisition because a few weeks ago I managed to procure two vintage bottles of Vol de Nuit EDT, one in the gold carafe and the other in a 1.7 oz. bottle. I was elated so, I know you must be as well. Congratulations and wear it in good health.

Oh PM, please let Dimi express all his bliss here! I'm loving it, it's pure pleasure! When a man is in the middle of jumping out of the Guerlinade closet, one must not stop him! LOL

This is YOUR thread Dimi, write away, I will swallow each and every word you write! You must have such a good time over there in Odense with that beauty of yours - what does your wife say to it?

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    Stop being such a drama queen , give the stopper a yank and be done with it or do we get a 2 page commentary on how you opened it , followed by 2 more pages of umming and arring over actually getting around to smelling it

Thank you Mr Guerlain!

Wifey is up to her elbows in paint fumes unfortunately as she is preparing some work to exhibit.

She did swing through here a few hours ago and stare at me wide-eyed when smelling it on my skin. I think she's equally as enamoured as I am, and wants to try it on herself after bathing tonight.
    She has some experience with Guerlain in the past... but none of the heavy hitters. She loved Mťtťorites when it was first launched, but now finds it almost unbearable, and we both adored Purple Fantasy on her too. I think with this new introduction to vintage Guerlain though, we will both like to look into some of the scarcer, more revered scents. I personally have L'Heure Bleu high on my list to try properly!

Great blog post Dimitri, you're very eloquent! I can only hope the experience with my soon-to-arrive bottle will be as good as yours!
    Thanks!
    I hope you too will find a little magic in that bottle of yours! I would love to know its age and concentration, as there are some differences in the packaging.
    I'm very excited for you!

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    Dimitri: All I can say is that you are one lucky dude. I know how you feel with the aquisition because a few weeks ago I managed to procure two vintage bottles of Vol de Nuit EDT, one in the gold carafe and the other in a 1.7 oz. bottle. I was elated so, I know you must be as well. Congratulations and wear it in good health.
    Thank you N Tesla, and many congratulations to you too for your recent buys! I would love it if you would perhaps post a photo here somewhere... I am so veeerrry taken with this enchanting bottle and its related paraphernalia... (and I am trying to quell my rising urge to begin collecting them!)

I'm more than just a little envious over here. And what a gorgeous photo! VdN is indeed a monumental fragrance - as I discovered three years ago when I won / bought (blind) a quarter oz. of the vintage extrait. I can totally understand your "epiphany experience".

Basenotes Plus

Dimitri...you made me cry! It was a good thing, as I was sharing the experience via your prose. Thank you, honey.

Nice blog Dimitri. I think you are a poet and didn't know et. :@)

I love Vol de Nuit--the contemporary release--so I can imagine the depth that a good vintage specimen might have! Your "transcendent" experience reminds me of the feeling I get with some Profumo.it fragrances. He calls his line "scents of the soul"--quite apt.

Congratulations, Dimiti