Code of Conduct

Default Guerlain's Eau du Coq

I have been exploring older, classic Eau de Colognes lately, inspired by my enjoyment of Acqua di Parma Colonia.

I was pleasantly surprised by Guerlain's Eau du Coq. Very bright and uplifiting citrus over herbs.

Anyone else enjoy this?

I was surprised that there have been no threads on this one to date!
    Last edited by scentsitivity; 19th May 2009 at 02:47 PM.

Default Re: Guerlain's Eau du Coq

I'm with you! I have a large bee bottle of this, and together with Eau du Cologne Imperiale, Eau du Coq serves as a summer mainstay. We touched on 80 degrees yesterday for the first time this year, meaning it's time for me to move my hot weather favorites closer to the front of my cabinet!
    Last edited by wicozani; 19th May 2009 at 03:05 PM.

Basenotes Institution

I have only smelled it once.

I literally drenched my arm from the tester (more than 12 sprays) and found it's rosemary note a little less prominent than I expected it to be. It faded VERY fast on me (maybe the tester was old?) and left me a little underwhelmed.

Of course, like all Guerlains, I'm more than willing to give it another shot and perhaps I should give it a full wearing before I mentally discard it.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I love Eau du Coq! What a refreshing, wonderful, and uplifting smile of a cologne!

Problem is it disappeared from my skin after about 15 minutes. Or maybe it was 10 minutes or 5 minutes, I can't remember exactly since the last time I applied it was four years ago.

Still, I do love Eau du Coq. If it wasn't for the longevity issue, it would be one of my top favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I have only smelled it once.

I literally drenched my arm from the tester (more than 12 sprays) and found it's rosemary note a little less prominent than I expected it to be. It faded VERY fast on me (maybe the tester was old?) and left me a little underwhelmed.

Of course, like all Guerlains, I'm more than willing to give it another shot and perhaps I should give it a full wearing before I mentally discard it.
    I used about half a mil from a sample vial and got a few hours out of it; which is more than I expect from an old-school EdC. I prefer it to Eau de Guerlain (which lasts longer) and Imperiale (which is nice, but has extremely ephemeral citrus notes on me).

Love it, but I think current bottlings have been watered down. I owned a bottle that was probably purchased in the 1990's (passed on to me from previous owner). When it was finished, I purchased another bottle in 2008. This newer bottle has juice that is light to the point of almost immediate disappearance. I've sprayed on tons - even on warm, muggy days when any fragrance amplifies, and it's gone very soon. I also notice that the herbal element(s) are not very noticeable any longer. Du Coq was for me one of the more masculine of the traditional edc's of the house of Guerlain - not as unisex as, say, Eau de Guerlain.

Big fan here. Doesn't last too long but it's exquisite while it's on. A very good pick-me-up fragrance.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Jardanel View Post
    Love it, but I think current bottlings have been watered down. I owned a bottle that was probably purchased in the 1990's (passed on to me from previous owner). When it was finished, I purchased another bottle in 2008. This newer bottle has juice that is light to the point of almost immediate disappearance. I've sprayed on tons - even on warm, muggy days when any fragrance amplifies, and it's gone very soon. I also notice that the herbal element(s) are not very noticeable any longer. Du Coq was for me one of the more masculine of the traditional edc's of the house of Guerlain - not as unisex as, say, Eau de Guerlain.
    Interesting - I wasn't aware of any reformulation issues with this fragrance - I would have thought that if this was the case Turin would have mentioned so in his review of EDC in his book. Maybe Turin didn't smell old EDC?

Thanks for the tip - I'll keep my eyes peeled for old stock if I should run into any...
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Du Coq was always pretty light to begin with. Now it's almost not there.
    Eau de Guerlain packed a bigger punch and was not on the lighter end of the genre. I'm not sure if EdG has been reformulated, or merely watered down, but the recent bottles of this one too feel like the volume has been muted. I know Eau de Guerlain is a favorite of Luca Turin's - wonder what date of bottle his review sprang from.

I agree with those who suggest that it is more dilute than it once was. I have a little left of a very old bottle and even that is relatively fleeting but lasted long enough to appreciate its uplifting scent. I tried a sample of the new product and got less than 15 minutes from it.
    Don a wig of larks and fly!

I agree they have been reformulated but Du Coq remains a beautiful Eau with lavender and a little aldehydes to my nose.

It always strikes me as strange cricising Eaux de Cologne for their longevity. It is a bit like criticising apples for not tasting like oranges.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Herr Farina, on smelling du Coq, was pretty certain that it had been reformulated beyond recognition in reference to the original (1894) composition. These people tend think in broad dimensions of time and great material detail. Of course the same would apply to Farina Gegenüber's EdC
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Herr Farina, on smelling du Coq, was pretty certain that it had been reformulated beyond recognition in reference to the original (1894) composition. These people tend think in broad dimensions of time and great material detail. Of course the same would apply to Farina Gegenüber's EdC
    well my two bottles are different and the oldest is only about 7 years old so i can't imagine what has happened since 1894!
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    I agree they have been reformulated but Du Coq remains a beautiful Eau with lavender and a little aldehydes to my nose.

It always strikes me as strange cricising Eaux de Cologne for their longevity. It is a bit like criticising apples for not tasting like oranges.
    You say that, though Helmut Lang EDC lasts all day.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

It's one thing to splash/spray on an eau de cologne, experience its bracing top note blast for some minutes, and then to enjoy the rest of its short, classy life for at least a while through the day. The thing about the most recent bottles of Du Coq is that even the top notes are faint and then it's gone. No drydown, no trace, nada. Seven-up or Sprite probably would have a longer half-life if you spilled it on yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jardanel View Post
    It's one thing to splash/spray on an eau de cologne, experience its bracing top note blast for some minutes, and then to enjoy the rest of its short, classy life for at least a while through the day. The thing about the most recent bottles of Du Coq is that even the top notes are faint and then it's gone. No drydown, no trace, nada. Seven-up or Sprite probably would have a longer half-life if you spilled it on yourself.
    The sample I got was from The Perfumed Court, and I assume it was current, not older, since it was not labeled vintage or anything. But my experience gave me top notes much longer and there was a drydown. Anyway, I am contemplating buying a bottle some time.

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    You say that, though Helmut Lang EDC lasts all day.
    That is an EDC strength "musky" fragrance. Here we are talking about classic citrus based Eaux.

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    That is an EDC strength "musky" fragrance. Here we are talking about classic citrus based Eaux.
    True, but oddly it's not the musk that I smell longest, it's the mix of heliotrope and vanilla which lasts longest.

But I understand what you mean about citrus based eaux. I wouldn't ever buy any of the Guerlains of this ilk, simply because they have the aromatic half-life of a mayfly.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Good stuff, but I would rather wear the more substantial Eau de Guerlain.
    -

Is not the most substantial but it is very pleasant. Quite nice.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

yes, good stuff.

Sur la Plage

It is a very nice fragrance. But I would never purchase it due to it's lack of longevity.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    I have been exploring older, classic Eau de Colognes lately, inspired by my enjoyment of Acqua di Parma Colonia.

I was pleasantly surprised by Guerlain's Eau du Coq. Very bright and uplifiting citrus over herbs.

Anyone else enjoy this?

I was surprised that there have been no threads on this one to date!

I owned a bottle about seven years ago and it was very good, but not particularly original. It's a pretty standard eau de cologne. I think Eau de Guerlain is a better cologne, but Eau de Coq is very good. I also prefer AdP because it's longer lasting.

I love Eau du Coq, Eau de Fleurs de Cedrat, Imperiale and Eau de Guerlain. I can not think of anything better to apply before bed on a hot summer night, than these. I have to admit, I find that I will wake in the morning and still smell traces of each, Eau du Coq included. But I have had my bottles for over 10 years (or more) now, so maybe that makes a difference.

Nice thread
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source