Code of Conduct

Default Timbuktu vs. CdG2Man

I noticed the similarities when I received my sample of Timbuktu recently. Today they are side by side one on each arm and while the differences are obvious, it's the similarities that I have a hard time pinpointing. Take away the burning leaves/smoldering candle note of CdG2M and replace with Caress soap and you get Timbuktu. Reverse the process and you're back to 2M. But what are those common notes that hinge them? I like them both extremely well but I'm leaning towards the CdG2M for the masculine edge. However, there's something about the Timbuktu that seems cleaner. Wondering if anyone else has any thoughts on this or similar experiences. Are there other fragrances like these?
    Last edited by cbstarker; 19th May 2009 at 04:52 PM.
    Currently looking for Ava Luxe Midnight Violet

Visit my offsite sales thread for other items for sale - just updated!
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=265#265

Default Re: Timbuktu vs. CdG2Man

To me there is an incense note that seems to be a common thread between these two.

Different enough for me to own both though.

It has to be the frankincense. To me CdG2 is all about aldehydes and other synthetics, it's extremely bright. Timbuktu, on the other hand, has a very natural, warm, vegetal sour glow.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 19th May 2009 at 05:04 PM.

You might be noticing that both have the aromachemical Iso E super in them. Iso E super is known to smell like cedar/incense/javel - it's very strange, as the smell almost feels like it is vibrating. You can try a sample of Molecule 01 from luckyscent.com in order to smell Iso E super in isolation.
    Sales thread here

To me they are similar although i can't pinpoint, but i made a post about the two some time ago.

To me, both scents' longervity is not so good. While Timbuktu is quite deep with woody notes, CdG2Man is strong and daring. I love them both

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by funraiser18 View Post
    To me there is an incense note that seems to be a common thread between these two.

Different enough for me to own both though.
    Ditto
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

There is a flowery sensation to both of them. Haven't tried to pinpoint how (if) they match.
    Last edited by shifts; 19th May 2009 at 06:51 PM.

Timbuktu is way too dry for me.

Well, they both have a somewhat sour Vetiver note in the base, and some incense in common. But as a whole they are pretty different.

I never could really learn to appreciate Timbuktu. I like parts of it, but something about it just didn't sit right. 2Man is a nice fragrance. I rarely reach for it, but its well done and I always enjoy it when I do wear it.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post
    You might be noticing that both have the aromachemical Iso E super in them. Iso E super is known to smell like cedar/incense/javel - it's very strange, as the smell almost feels like it is vibrating. You can try a sample of Molecule 01 from luckyscent.com in order to smell Iso E super in isolation.
    Ah, that's very interesting! I think this gets at the heart of it (no pun intended). Thanks.
    Currently looking for Ava Luxe Midnight Violet

Visit my offsite sales thread for other items for sale - just updated!
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=265#265

molecule 01 is a composition based on iso e super, it's not made of a single ingredient.
    see http://www.iff.com/Ingredients.nsf/0...256993003995C6 for more info on iso e super.
    Last edited by gido; 23rd May 2009 at 06:24 AM.