Code of Conduct

Default My olfactive review of Givaudan's latest molecule: Cosmone

I was "late" to smell Cosmone, Givaudan's newest musk made public to the industry, but we say "better late than never." The sample finally arrived at our company...

Continued here: http://jaimeleparfum.wordpress.com/2...released-musk/

Blog Entries

Default Re: My olfactive review of Givaudan's latest molecule: Cosmone

Great blog post! Thanks so much for the link.

Isn't Cosmone great? I was wondering for a while what it was about Pi Neo that I loved so much. Now that I know what it is, I think it's just amazing stuff.

I suspect that I might have smelled Cosmone in the new Cereus Pour Homme No. 14. I was shocked by the similarity to Pi Neo. It has a finish that approaches Pi Neo as it dries down, but there are some different topnotes, and much more sweetness and booziness in the heart. I'm curious if your nose can confirm this. I don't have Cereus 14 yet, but it is likely to be my next buy from Barney's. My memories of the scent are just too nice!

It sounds quite interesting. You think it would work well with armoise, eh? Hmm, is there some powderiness to the musk at all?

From the sounds of it I'm wondering if this musk isn't used in Guerlain Homme. The description seems quite accurate, and there's something in Guerlain Homme that I don't believe I've really smelled before.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

What is this musk like compared to Auranone and Teak? And for those who are anosmic to musks such as Habanolide and Ambrettolide, does Cosmone hold out any hope (is it a mix of different families of musk, or a single molecule)??

Thank you so much Scentophile. I really enjoyed this post and your blog!

Quote Originally Posted by Le critique de parfum View Post
    Thank you so much Scentophile. I really enjoyed this post and your blog!
    Merci beaucoup!

I second that, great blog, Scentophile! As an amateur, hobby perfumist living in a tiny town with lots of cows, sheep, and goats (about 10 of each per every human) it's wonderful to hear about the "wide world" of professional perfumery. Keep up the good work, and yes, a book would be very interesting, I think.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    What is this musk like compared to Auranone and Teak? And for those who are anosmic to musks such as Habanolide and Ambrettolide, does Cosmone hold out any hope (is it a mix of different families of musk, or a single molecule)??
    Unlike Auranone (and perhaps Teak), Cosmone is (more or less) a single molecule. Actually, the structure on the Firmenich website indicates that it's a mixture of two isomers (E and Z on the double bond), but that's still essentially one molecule. It is NOT a mixture of different classes of musks. It's a macrocyclic (big ring) musk. It shares structural features of both muscone and civetone. It is macrocyclic like ambrettolide, but it is a ketone like muscone and civetone, not a lactone like ambrettolide. It is supposed to be powdery in character, and I can certainly attest that it is powdery to my nose.

There are some structural pictures on my earlier blog post about Pi Neo, here. Note that the structure of Cosmone that Alex has given is more accurate, because it shows the mixture of two isomers by virtue of the wavy bond connected to the double bond.

I should note that I am non-hypersensitive on macrocyclic musks, but not anosmic, either. I find civet notes appealing. Cosmone strikes me as less animalic than many other macrocyclics. It's soft and very powdery.

I'm really pleased to hear that Alex likes this ingredient - perhaps it will find its way into many more fragrances. I hope to get very bored with it someday!

Dependent

very technical and certainly took me sometime to digest tho still not fully yet. I appreciate your sharing with us such info. All of us here deserve to be educated on tje sciences behind what we emjoy in frags. I'll prob d/l tis and read over again.....

The great review!
    Actually - to get Cosmone quite perfectly, one should smell it alone - or smell it in 2-3-5 different perfumes, to find the lowest common denominator.
    So I`m just envying you
    Vetiver The Great!!!