Code of Conduct
    Next to the bottle of Van Winkle Special Reserve

Default Who gives a &%*$ if it's a masterpiece?

Me no.

Soon there will be a masterpiece thread for every frag in the directory. This madness needs to end.
    Marge: Do you want your son to become Chief Justice of the Supreme Court or a sleazy male stripper?
    Homer: Can't he be both, like the late Earl Warren?

Default Re: Who gives a &%*$ if it's a masterpiece?

Now play nice dpak!

This can only go in one direction.....
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Let's just say that every frag is a masterpiece to someone.

i dont care if its a masterpiece
    Last edited by supracuhz; 19th May 2009 at 10:10 PM.
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

Quote Originally Posted by supracuhz View Post
    i dont care if its a masterpiece
    LOL!

As a contributor to that thread I am deeply offended!

and just for the record, me, myself, and I are the only elements that help get me laid. Just as you smell good, you're fine.

I agree, these masterpiece threads need to stop.

We would need to know what the definition of a masterpiece is before we can give any fragrance that label. It has to be more than the current trend of assigning it to something that is merely quite good.

I agree. From what I can gather, there isn't much love for Hugo Boss Energise on here. But I will openly admit to loving and wearing it, even if people consider it trash in comparison to what they consider masterpieces. Some people might consider Chanel Pour Monsieur a masterpiece but it just smells like posh lemon toilet air freshener to me. Different tastes. No I don't care, I wear what I like the smell of and what makes me happy

Quote Originally Posted by mcjra View Post
    LOL!

As a contributor to that thread I am deeply offended!

and just for the record, me, myself, and I are the only elements that help get me laid. Just as you smell good, you're fine.
    lol! I changed it hahahahahahahahaha
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

I disagree, why would I wanna waste time with a fragrance unless some random people on the internet think it's a masterpiece??

I am the masterpiece, not the fragrance, I just make the fragrance smell good.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by dpak View Post
    Me no.

Soon there will be a masterpiece thread for every frag in the directory. This madness needs to end.

Seriously, why can't there be "masterpiece" threads? Isn't one of the purposes of this forum to just talk about fragrances you enjoy with others who share the same enjoyment? If you don't want to participate in these threads, then don't. I'm not interested in them either, generally, but if others want to start them, so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    Seriously, why can't there be "masterpiece" threads? Isn't one of the purposes of this forum to just talk about fragrances you enjoy with others who share the same enjoyment? If you don't want to participate in these threads, then don't. I'm not interested in them either, generally, but if others want to start them, so be it.
    Fair point. My reasons for supporting the notion to stop asking the masterpiece question:

1. It's repetitive and boring, tedius...
    2. It reflects badly when a visitor reads our posts and "deep and challenging" questions like that are listed
    3. It doesn't help any reader learn about the specific notes or development of a fragrance
    4. The answers are totally subjective and mean zilch
    5. It makes visiting here less fun

P.S: Don't get me wrong I love this forum and I just want it to remain a cool place...

Paco cares... That's all that matters!

How about requiring a different take on the masterpiece question: it can only be discussed in the context of the perfumer's body of work to that point. So for example, if you want to nominate Un Jardin Apres La Mousson as a masterpiece, you have to discuss it in the context of all other Jean-Claude Ellena works.

I wouldn't mind the threads if people gave very clear and detailed reasons why they felt the frag was or wasn't a masterpiece. As it is, it usually devolves into a thread with nothing more than "Yes/No" replies, and is a waste of time.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by Perfume_Addict View Post
    How about requiring a different take on the masterpiece question: it can only be discussed in the context of the perfumer's body of work to that point. So for example, if you want to nominate Un Jardin Apres La Mousson as a masterpiece, you have to discuss it in the context of all other Jean-Claude Ellena works.
    You can't stop Paco... You can only hope to contain him...

I see that I misjudged the degree to which the mere word "masterpiece" sends some into a near-psychotic state :-)

I like this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    You can't stop Paco... You can only hope to contain him...
    Excuse me, me yes. Me, we should limit any future threads to ONLY the most extraordinary masterpieces in the Milky Way Galaxy. Me, Paco.

Best,

TJ
    Last edited by TigerJuice; 20th May 2009 at 03:02 AM. Reason: Grammar!

yes I think who gives a &%*$ if it's IS a masterpiece
    Want to buy/trade: looking for some escentric molecules kinski, I have a bunch of decants/samples including escentric 02 and escentric 01

PM ME

Just stop posting in these 'masterpiece' threads and they'd swiftly move to the 2nd page of the board...out of sight.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

There should be a small monetary fine charged for each spelling out or alluding to the M word in a post.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

angelina jolie???
    At your service

Is this getting personal?
    Heck, I do not care if someone considers my fav. fragrances masterpieces. I do not care for the masterpiece threads (that is why they do not affect me, and that is why I so not complain about them). I do not understand why memebers always try to legislate what can and cannot be posted on Basnotes. Come on guys, we are above this.
    Last edited by irish; 20th May 2009 at 03:28 AM.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by decillisjl View Post
    angelina jolie???
    Her latest movie is a masterpiece !

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    Heck, I do not care if someone considers my fav. fragrances masterpieces. I do not care for the masterpiece threads (that is why they do not affect me, and that is why I so not complain about them). I do not understand why memebers always try to legislate what can and cannot be posted on Basnotes. Come on guys, we are above this.

I agree. In fact, if there are going to be rules on what perfume related topics can and can't be discussed, then I've had it with this web site. It seems like no matter what you write, someone complains about it.

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    Just stop posting in these 'masterpiece' threads and they'd swiftly move to the 2nd page of the board...out of sight.

That's the perfect solution if you don't like those threads.

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    In my case its not personal at all. I just think "Q:Is it a masterpiece A: Yes" dumbs the place down too much but you're right that it's wrong to stop someone from posting on the basis that the content is underwhelming. 50% of my posts would be banned if that was the case
    Last edited by jathanas; 20th May 2009 at 04:40 AM.

there are many masterpieces that alot of people do not like
    go figure
    if you think its a master piece then it is to you
    if not then no
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Blog Entries

LMAO

Pokémon is most certainly a masterpiece in the context of other fragrances by Air Val International. Now, I realize that Air Val is not a perfumer per se, but I would argue that as a house, they have upheld a certain standard for a sufficiently long time that the same artistic criteria apply. Take, for instance, Wall-E EDT. Certainly one of the more innovative bottle designs. Easily as original as any of the Diesel packagings, or even Bulgari Black. But let's talk juice. NBA, High School Musical, Princess and the Frog... No matter what one might think about classics like these, it was Pokémon that really defined unisex citrus for pre-teens. In fact, I'm not even sure if masterpiece does this fragrance justice...

(...please forgive me, Perfume_Addict - this thread has made me psychotic with laughter! :bounce

Free forum, free questions. Sometimes it's inconvenient to page down, but it's the risk of this freedom. I don't think there's anything to do, let alone "stopping" anything.

Somebody doth protest too much.

By the way, this thread is a TOTAL masterpiece. Five stars.
    Last edited by andylama; 20th May 2009 at 06:22 AM.

All those topics are annoying indeed.. aswell as those what would X wear.. who gives a damn.
    unico grande amore.

I agree that these topics are unnecessary, or rather I don't find them interesting personally, but I don't mind, really... I'd rather see a lively forum filled with a couple of pointless topics than a forum with one new topic a day!
    Last edited by Merlino; 20th May 2009 at 08:24 AM.
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Ręve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/