Code of Conduct

Default When you guys purchase SAMPLES/DECANTS...

How big or how much do you guys buy? I basically want to know on how much should I buy ----which would last me at least 2-5 days. I'm thinking 2.5ml, but I don't know how many sprays I can get from it really. Anyone got a clue?

PS
    I hate this site. It's putting a dent on my wallet. I've purchased/blind buy 4 scents in the past 2 weeks (FDM, CK1 summer 08, Paco Black XS and Creed SMW).
    Last edited by only500made; 19th May 2009 at 11:17 PM.
    ***Canada***Jean Paul Gaultier FLEUR DU MALE, 75ml bottle (70ml) for sale***Canada***

Default Re: When you guys purchase SAMPLES/DECANTS...

2.5 should last 2-5 days, but I prefer 4 ml decants.
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

I think you need a minimum of 2.5ml to sample the fragrance over a decent time span
    otherwise it will be hard to do so from anything less
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

So I guess 2.5ml is the general consensus?

How much sprays is it approx?
    ***Canada***Jean Paul Gaultier FLEUR DU MALE, 75ml bottle (70ml) for sale***Canada***

Blog Entries

Figure 6-10 sprays per ml.

Thanks.

If anyone else wanna give their opinion go ahead.

If it's an edp 1 ml should be enough. Keep in mind that some sites like Luckyscent don't sell 2.5 ml samples.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Figure 6-10 sprays per ml.
    i would say about 10
    [COLOR="Purple"]I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc [/COLOR]

I have made plenty of decisions on 1 ml decants.

I love the new 1.5ml spray samples from The Perfumed Court. I never wear my scents heavy.. maybe 2 or 3 sprays, and I can get at least 5 and up to 10 wearings from one of those samples.

The biggest thing, imo, is to get a spray sample and NOT a dab vial (unless you transfer it into an atomizer of your own). Scents definitely develop differently when sprayed or dabbed. The other key is not to judge a scent from a wrist test, as you aren't fully 'enveloped' in the scent. If you do have a dab vial and want to get the best feel for the scent, put a few dabs on your neck, neckline, and upper chest. Same applies to spray samples - be sure to judge a frag wearing it the same way you'd normally wear it (so if you normally spray your chest, do so when sampling, too.. sampling on the arm never does justice to a frag; it will give you an idea of what it smells like but not of how it 'feels' when wrapped in its aura).
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

When I do purchase samples I usually get the 8ml spray from the perfumed court, never less than 5ml. If its not something I like it will end up in someones Christmas stocking the following yr.

If I were ever so thorough and determined to avoid full-bottle purchasing errors, I would go through the following sequence, rejecting fragrances at every step:

- Spray it in a store, if I can find it in one. (Free!)
    - Get a 1ml vial sample from a store or LuckyScent or Aedes. (Cheap!)
    - Get a 2.5ml spray decant from The Perfumed Court.
    - Get a 5ml spray decant from The Perfumed Court.
    - Get a bottle.

Sometimes I even do all this.

If you want to cut this down to just one step, I think that either the 2.5ml or the 5ml decant would be the step.

Crayfish

1ml sample vials all the way. I don't decant them, either. I am not impressed by the majority of fragrances I try. I don't want big, expensive sample sprays sitting around of frags I don't care for. I would much rather get a 5ml spray (or jump straight to a bottle) later after weeding out the riff-raff.

To be honest, I would probably buy 1/2ml samples if they were cheap and widely available. I would still easily get 3 wearings out of them. 1/2ml is plenty for me to weed out 90% of the frags that just don't click with me.

Samples to buy?
    no, never
    I think it`s something wrong with buying samples. They should spread them for free!
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish View Post
    Samples to buy?
    no, never
    I think it`s something wrong with buying samples. They should spread them for free!
    Asking or mailing mostly should do the job.
    unico grande amore.

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish View Post
    Samples to buy?
    no, never
    They should - yes, but they don't, so what to do?

I buy a lot of samples, and I agree with what most of you have said already; 2ml is a good size for trying out a fragrance for a couple of days, and I always go for spray samples if it's possible.

2ml is perfect for sampling. Spray mechanisms are also a big plus. First-in-fragrance has reasonably sized samples for a decent price. (1.5ml~2ml sprays) Personally, I prefer to wait on free samples I get when purchasing scents. (E.g. buy a bottle, get 7 or so free samples)

I buy minimum 2.5mL decants because on me I get 3-4 wears out of that. I've begun getting 8mL decants because I find that size allows me to really wear something in all possible conditions and with as many or as few sprays as necessary.
    So 2.5mL is good enough to get a taste and 8mL is enough to really understand the scent, in my opinion.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

I usually get 1 ml dabbers or 1.5 ml sprays to "weed out". If a fragrance seems promising after that, I get a larger decant, 5-8 ml. If it is love at first sniff, I may get a full bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I love the new 1.5ml spray samples from The Perfumed Court. I never wear my scents heavy.. maybe 2 or 3 sprays, and I can get at least 5 and up to 10 wearings from one of those samples.

The biggest thing, imo, is to get a spray sample and NOT a dab vial (unless you transfer it into an atomizer of your own). Scents definitely develop differently when sprayed or dabbed. The other key is not to judge a scent from a wrist test, as you aren't fully 'enveloped' in the scent. If you do have a dab vial and want to get the best feel for the scent, put a few dabs on your neck, neckline, and upper chest. Same applies to spray samples - be sure to judge a frag wearing it the same way you'd normally wear it (so if you normally spray your chest, do so when sampling, too.. sampling on the arm never does justice to a frag; it will give you an idea of what it smells like but not of how it 'feels' when wrapped in its aura).
    I've been ordering the 1.5 ml spray vials from TPC as well. A scent does develop differently depending on how you apply it. I get about 2-3 wearings from each spray vial, using about 6 sprays per use. (I have dry skin and require more to let my fragrances project). I think a 1.5 spray vial would be enough to get an idea of how the scent behaves thoughout a few full wearings.