Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1

    Default Tabac Original - Where's the tobacco?

    As I mentioned on another tobacco frag thread, I recently tried Tabac Original and had a hard time detecting the tobacco note. I didn't like it because it had a soggy, musty smell to it, which made it smell cheap to me. However, I'm now wondering if that soggy smell is actually the tobacco note. Any thoughts on this?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Tabac Original - Where's the tobacco?

    I always found that the soap smells of tobacco, not the cologne. But once you are used to the soap you can actually detect tobacco in the cologne also. Also, everything has changed since the sixties, and TO is no exception. A different musk perhaps? .
    Last edited by narcus; 20th May 2009 at 10:23 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Tabac Original - Where's the tobacco?

    I have nothing against cheap scents per se, but this one is so atrocious, especially if compared to the more-expensive-but-still-a-bargain Alt-Innsbruck, which really does smell like tobacco, because it actually contains only naturals.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Tabac Original - Where's the tobacco?

    Musty can be used to describe the aroma of tobacco, I guess. On an unrelated note, Feuilles de Tabac has a great tabac flower accord that I think you'll appreciate. I wore it to the bar last evening and it won me two compliments.


    PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather




  5. #5

    Default Re: Tabac Original - Where's the tobacco?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post
    Musty can be used to describe the aroma of tobacco, I guess. On an unrelated note, Feuilles de Tabac has a great tabac flower accord that I think you'll appreciate. I wore it to the bar last evening and it won me two compliments.
    Everyone keeps mentioning this one, so I'll definitely have to try it out.

    I hope it doesn't smell like a tobacco flower scent my wife used to own (I forget the name), which, again smelled musty and awful to me.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Tabac Original - Where's the tobacco?

    Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    I always found that the soap smells of tobacco, not the cologne. But once you are used to the soap you can actually detect tobacco in the cologne also. Also, everything has changed since the sixties, and TO is no exception. A different musk perhaps? .
    Interesting. I find this to be a very soapy cologne. And BTW: a badger brush and a Tabac Shaving Soap is the single best thing you can do to improve your shaving routine
    Last edited by irish; 20th May 2009 at 09:48 PM.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Tabac Original - Where's the tobacco?

    Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    I have nothing against cheap scents per se, but this one is so atrocious, especially if compared to the more-expensive-but-still-a-bargain Alt-Innsbruck, which really does smell like tobacco, because it actually contains only naturals.
    Ouch! I like Tabac Original, but I don't smell any tobacco leaf in it. I think of it as more a carnation (or am I thinking of geranium) fougere.

    Anyway, I had never heard of Alt-Innsbruck, so I am intrigued. It does seem as if it would be a relatively inexpensive, handy scent to have. I know that you are usually skeptical of "all-natural" claims -- what do you know of Alt-Innsbruck? It has very little Internet presence from what I can find.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Tabac Original - Where's the tobacco?

    Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    Anyway, I had never heard of Alt-Innsbruck, so I am intrigued. It does seem as if it would be a relatively inexpensive, handy scent to have. I know that you are usually skeptical of "all-natural" claims -- what do you know of Alt-Innsbruck? It has very little Internet presence from what I can find.
    Last December, there was a very good thread on Alt Innsbruck and where to purchase it domestically: Alt Innsbruck Eau de Cologne
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

  9. #9

    Default Re: Tabac Original - Where's the tobacco?

    Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    Last December, there was a very good thread on Alt Innsbruck and where to purchase it domestically: Alt Innsbruck Eau de Cologne
    Danke, TwoRoads!

  10. #10

    Default Re: Tabac Original - Where's the tobacco?

    Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    Last December, there was a very good thread on Alt Innsbruck and where to purchase it domestically: Alt Innsbruck Eau de Cologne
    Danke, TwoRoads!

    Edit: I just checked razorandbrush.com and it shows sold out. Superlather.com still has the plastic "refill" bottle for $20.00 but the glass bottle is sold out.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Tabac Original - Where's the tobacco?

    Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    Danke, TwoRoads!

    Edit: I just checked razorandbrush.com and it shows sold out. Superlather.com still has the plastic "refill" bottle for $20.00 but the glass bottle is sold out.
    Although I prefer glass bottles and almost went that way, I am very pleased with the "refill" bottle. The bottle's capacity is larger than 100ml, so don't be disappointed if it isn't full to the brim.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

  12. #12

    Default Re: Tabac Original - Where's the tobacco?

    shamu1

    Which did you tried? Aftershave or the EDT?

    Tabac original aftershave has what narcus described "soap smells of tobacco", I also get the musk. It's soapy and clean with hint of tobacco.

    But EDT is totally different one!
    I ordered a bottle of EDT version, hoping it's stronger version of aftershave, and end up with dissapointment.
    Tiny Cat

  13. #13

    Default Re: Tabac Original - Where's the tobacco?

    Quote Originally Posted by sophywt View Post
    shamu1

    Which did you tried? Aftershave or the EDT?

    Tabac original aftershave has what narcus described "soap smells of tobacco", I also get the musk. It's soapy and clean with hint of tobacco.

    But EDT is totally different one!
    I ordered a bottle of EDT version, hoping it's stronger version of aftershave, and end up with dissapointment.
    I think this is an important point. I have not smelled the aftershave, but I think this is what generally gets all the good reviews (from what I've read). I had the EDT and it was sharp and harsh - not what I expected. I eventually traded it away.
    mc

  14. #14

    Default Re: Tabac Original - Where's the tobacco?

    Quote Originally Posted by marcuccio88 View Post
    I have not smelled the aftershave, but I think this is what generally gets all the good reviews (from what I've read). I had the EDT and it was sharp and harsh - not what I expected.
    I had Tabac Original in the EDT, which I liked, but I did not detect any tobacco notes in it.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 14th April 2010, 09:36 PM
  2. Givenchy III: Original vs. reformulation?
    By JaimeB in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11th August 2009, 02:13 AM
  3. Various treatments of tobacco
    By Renaissance_Man in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 15th March 2009, 12:49 PM
  4. Spinoff better than the original?
    By castorpollux in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 5th August 2006, 04:15 AM
  5. Tabac Original
    By wolfpackfan in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 17th January 2006, 07:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •