Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Best Cheapo/Drugstore scents

We're talking those scents in and amongst the deodorant cans, the aftershaves/EDTs that are usually under a fiver and not considered swankiy enough to be included in the designer frangrance sections.

Out of all the current available ones, I like quite a few and think they are up there with some of the designer frags but a fraction of the cost!

I'm a fan of Brut (obviously) and think it has it's charms, as does Brut Musk, and Brut Oceans. You can get these for easily under £5 although, they are an acquired taste.

Other ones I found that are actually very good, are Adidas Victory League (Got 3 bottles of this on Saturday at £1.49 a 50ml bottle... I think they might be getting discontinued since all the other Adidas frags were nearly £5 each), Lynx Africa, Lynx Instinct and Umbro Skill. They all last pretty well and smell very pleasing.

I don't mind Mandate, but it is a bit overpowering and I personally wouldn't buy it.

I did try on a variety on Saturday but was amazed at how expensive some of the 'cheapo scents' are. Jovan Musk, Old Spice, Old Spice Whitewater and Tabac Original were all nearer the £10 mark, with TO actually nearer £14!!! For that you could get a lower end designer like Versace Blue Jeans or CK1 and they are infinitely better scents IMHO. I really didn't like any of the ones I tried on Saturday, other than Victory League. Tabac was the worst one and the most expensive!!!

It's a big shame they no longer make/sell Addiction Spice Fire or the other Addiction scents from the 90s... they were actually VERY nice scents.

Seems they like discontinuing the good scents (old Lynx, Addiction etc.) but the vile ones (Tabac, Old Spice) live on.

FAIL.
    My Current 5 stars..... Brut, Lynx Java, Lynx Oriental, Lynx Musk, Lynx Inca, Lynx Fever, Addiction Spice Fire, Hugo Energise, Sean Jean Unforgivable, Burberry Touch, Jean Paul Gaultier Le Māle, cKBe & cK1

I like what I like, so sue me!

Default Re: Best Cheapo/Drugstore scents

cheapsmells.com and extrascents have good value and very cheaper for your favourite brand frag im sure.

You can get a 125ml bottle of Iceberg Twice Homme for about £5 in any supermarket and that's supposed to be quite a nice scent.

Versus Blue Jeans is another just under £10. I think Diesel Zero Plus was also cheap but has been discontinued.

I think a lot of fragrances get reduced in price, some by quite a margin, around special occasions such as fathers day, valentines day, christmas etc, and I managed to snag a bottle of Emporio Armani He for just over £15.
    Last edited by somnambulist07; 20th May 2009 at 04:33 PM.

Cusson's Imperial Leather, though only available now in soap form, hss a great, classic scent (and it is cheap).

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo1979 View Post
    Seems they like discontinuing the good scents (old Lynx, Addiction etc.) but the vile ones (Tabac, Old Spice) live on.
    Yes, the vile ones are like the un-dead. Impossible to kill.
    Seriously, beyond Brut and Old Spice and perhaps the Pinauds, the US doesn't have a great tradition of 'drug store' brands like Europe and the UK. I once tried Sir Irisch Moos in Germany and loved it for what it is.

Give Avon a chance, you might find a surprise.

Bigsly, please pick up the white courtesy phone...

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    LOL!

I would suggest Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Ones I was able to get very cheap and I really like: Samba Heat for men, Samba Kiss Me for men, Jacomo Silver for men (tester was $12 for 100 ml), Rouge Royal (same price for tester), Francesco Smalto ($8 for 100 ml), Cuba Red ($12 for 125 ml), Escada's original for men should be cheap (40 ml), Jacomo Rouge ($12 or less for 100 ml tester), 101 by Giorgio Valenti (men's), FUBU Plush for men used to be cheap but is getting rare, so grab one if you can find one for $15 per 100 ml or so.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Best Cheapo/Drugstore scents

What about the prestigious (LOL) Addias Victory League? Not a masterpiece but, not bad for under $10.00 for 3.4oz. For less than $100.00 you could buy a Liters worth, enough for a lifetime.

If you can find it in a store, Jade East is still a very good old-school aromatic fougere. Easy to find online too. I bought a 4 oz. splash bottle a couple of years ago in a drugstore for $8.00. I really like it, particularly for its excellent drydown (top notes are a bit harsh, though).

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    LOL!

I'd second that, particularly if you like old-school barbershop-style fougeres.

Careful with some of the Pinauds, though. They make this totally disgusting brew called "Lilac Vegetal" which is the worst fragrance I have ever smelled. To quote a fellow BN'er, it smells like an abandoned gas station toilet with old piss encrusted on the side walls - with a bucket of old boiled corned beef and cabbage poured down the shitter.

Nautica Original! I found it at Walmart for $12.00 for a 3.4 oz bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    To quote a fellow BN'er, it smells like an abandoned gas station toilet with old piss encrusted on the side walls - with a bucket of old boiled corned beef and cabbage poured down the shitter.
    That's VIVID!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    That's VIVID!

You'd know that it's also ACCURATE, if you've ever smelled Lilac Vegetal.

That's assuming I have experienced a corned beef enriched men's room.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 21st May 2009 at 02:55 AM.

Also, Witness, Horizon, One Man Show, and Everlast Original 1910.

Agree, it's total freekin' road kill rotting on searing blacktop on a blistering summer day. Buzzards even pass on this one.

To be fair, Pinaud classic original is very nice, on the lines of Canoe and Brut but slightly better with EDT longevity.
    Peace ~ Markymark

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    LOL!

AND Pinaud's Bay Rum. Posssibly the best of the Bay Rum's.
    Last edited by richard d; 21st May 2009 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Markymark View Post
    Agree, it's total freekin' road kill rotting on searing blacktop on a blistering summer day. Buzzards even pass on this one.

To be fair, Pinaud classic original is very nice, on the lines of Canoe and Brut but slightly better with EDT longevity.

I don't agree with the "searing blacktop" comment - I think that a searing blacktop top note would make Lilac Vegetal more appealing. It would be nice complement to the pee pee heart note and the corned beef and cabbage base notes.

Jovan White Musk for Men - Very classy for a drugstore fragrance.
    Royal Copenhagen - My father swears by this -- he absolutely loves it.

Personally I'm always amazed what you can get on ebay for not many dollars/pounds/euros. Surely there's no need to go down the Lynx route?

Quote Originally Posted by atrac View Post
    Jovan White Musk for Men - Very classy for a drugstore fragrance.
    Royal Copenhagen - My father swears by this -- he absolutely loves it.

I agree that Royal Copenhagen is a great one. Very underrated floral musk, in a similar vein as Caron's Troisieme Homme.

I actually rather like Murray & Lanman's Florida Water for under $5.
    - E.J.

So now I have to go out and try all the Adidas offerings? I'm going to save this outing for a rainy day.

Dependent

I have to repeat on blue jeans - one of the cheapest and best designer frags out there....

Adidas Moves,
    Old Spice Fraiche. I find this one to be quite special and I would have to go to niche brands to find something similar.
    Ungaro III
    A couple of the Beckham scents.
    Carlos Santana.
    Aqua Velva and AV Musk are nice and the two best alcohol based AS out there.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

One of my favorite summer frags is Adidas Moves, so that gets my vote. Hvent tried Victory League yet, will try to do so soon. Brut isnt bad as well.

I find notes in common between Avon's Black Suede and Dunhill for Men: the last one being more citrous-- like in the top notes and leatherish in the dry down. Black Suede is subtler, not so long lasting and lesser sillage.
    Last edited by Pollux; 19th November 2009 at 12:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dazhel View Post
    Personally I'm always amazed what you can get on ebay for not many dollars/pounds/euros. Surely there's no need to go down the Lynx route?
    Well some people may actually *like* the Lynx scents. I for one like the older Lynx scents, and the current crop isn't too bad either. Instinct is a grower, and Africa is a classic. Lynx did go real bad between 2000 and 2007 though IMHO.
    My Current 5 stars..... Brut, Lynx Java, Lynx Oriental, Lynx Musk, Lynx Inca, Lynx Fever, Addiction Spice Fire, Hugo Energise, Sean Jean Unforgivable, Burberry Touch, Jean Paul Gaultier Le Māle, cKBe & cK1

For what it's worth, I've always thought there is something pleasant about Tabac Original (it has to be worn for a couple of hours for this to be true; the beginning is a little scary). And I think 99% of the Lynx/Axe scents are vile, but there have been a couple that are not too bad. I really like the Nivea scents for men, apart from the new silver deo (it smells really headache-inducing for me).

For girls, the Impulse body sprays are actually not bad at all (the nose is Ann Gottlieb). Some of the Creed feminine scents smell pretty much the same as Impulse.

Dependent

I got 200ml ck one and 200ml ck be for about 35-38++USD each. its cheap by my standards, where im from. how do they fare in the West?
    Last edited by MFJ; 23rd May 2009 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    I got 200ml ck one and 200ml ck be for about 35-38++USD each. its cheap by my standards, where im from. how do they fare in the West?
    In the UK I'd say they are a mid-range priced scent... certainly not in the cheapo/drugstore category the thread is discussing. To me, cheapo is anything under £10, which is why I was amazed when I saw a bottle of Tabac Original being sold commercially for just under £15!!!! For that sort of money you could get something NICE like CK1 or Blue Jeans!!

Quote Originally Posted by richard d View Post
    AND Pinaud's Bay Rum. Posssibly the best of the Bay Rum's.
    If you like cloves, you'll love Pinaud's Bay Rum.

To me, Pinaud's Clubman Special Reserve is their best offering. An awesome leather opening followed by a sweet vanilla/amber drydown.

Considering that you can pick up Curve for $12 at some places, I'll have to add it to the list.

I bought it the day it came out, and still wear it all the time. It's my all time fave, and no amount of GIT will convince me otherwise.

i did try some ulric de varens today. couldn“t find an tester for ulric de varens man but from black, extreme and vip.

find black the best of them. longevity is really good on my skin. extreme was a little bit like rochas man and vip was also to sweet for me. Longevity of both was weak.
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

I think we should all move to Italy where the drugstores sell things like Brummel. Honestly? One of the best things I've ever worn and according to Dry Martini it's around just about every corner and priced accordingly.

i did try today varens vip again and did buy varens for men 2004 (100 ml for 6 €)

vip is flowery and i think it have similarities with Narciso Rodriguez for Him & Dior homme. Longevity is better than yesterday and i find it today not so sweet.

Varens for men is an allrounder not very woody but soapy. Longevity is fine especially for 6 €.

Banned

Excellent suggestions.
    Cuba Gold(known to be similar to Le Male) is a very good cheapo frag. Available @ your local perfumania for $4.
    Last edited by play; 28th May 2009 at 06:46 AM.

Iceberg Twice pour homme
    One Man Show - Bogart
    Jovan Musk
    Lomani for Men

All of the above can be had for around $10 for a full size bottle and I think they are amazing value for money.

Could also try Tonino Lamborghini Mitico & Feroce. ( 50 ml for 10 € ) am surprized. they smell much better than i expected. Longevity was also good enough.

Mitico is rochas man like sweet.

Did find Feroce similar to opium ph but woodier.

I am now surprized how Forza and the new Explosive are.
    Last edited by sanatik; 28th May 2009 at 07:36 AM.

The only Axe/Lynx frag I've ever liked is Tsunami (not sure what the lynx version is called). As for non-aerosol frags, I really like Brut, Adidas Moves, and Adidas Deep Impact. Never tried that blue jeans scent though...

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    LOL.......He is da king of bargain basement frags for sure.

I have Tomorrow for Men by Avon which isn't half bad. It's in the same vein as Michael Kors.

Old Spice and Tabacß the initial, "original" version of both. Some C&E frags are not bad either- although it remains debatable up to which extent Crabtree and Evelyn is still mass market.

Quote Originally Posted by gekko View Post
    The only Axe/Lynx frag I've ever liked is Tsunami (not sure what the lynx version is called). As for non-aerosol frags, I really like Brut, Adidas Moves, and Adidas Deep Impact. Never tried that blue jeans scent though...
    You should try Versace/Versus Blue Jeans... it's awesome value for money these days!! Good call with the mighty Brut! Seriously good value for money there.

You should try Versace/Versus Blue Jeans... it's awesome value for money these days!! Good call with the mighty Brut! Seriously good value for money there.
    With my recently ordered Cacharel Pour Homme I got a sample of Van Gils V.
    To me it smells like a better, less synthetic Versace Blue Jeans.
    It almost smells identical at some stage, although the dry-down is better balanced with its wood and vanilla tones, whereas Versace Blue is all sweet vanilla till the end.

Not that I'm gonna buy bottle, I can't stand the smell of vanilla on my skin for longer than 10 minutes or so.

But for anyone looking for a cheaper Versace Blue Jeans, Van Gils V is a good one.
    Versace's bottle is cooler though.
    Last edited by nout; 29th May 2009 at 07:04 PM.

Blue Seduction/Antonio Banderas/Puig
    Snarky is as snarky does.

I am now surprized how Forza and the new Explosive are
    I dont mind Forza. To me it smells like a mix of Versace Man Eau Fraiche and Adidas Moves. A bit lighter and doesnt last as long. Good for the price though.

Just acquired Faberge's Denim from cheapsmells today... looking forward to trying this old skool classic for the first time! Faberge always seemed to hit the right notes for me in the past so I'm holding high hopes with this one!

The first range of Lynx/Axe I remember been the best with oriental, musk, amber, spice all good cheap body sprays for their day. But the company did not know when it was on to a good thing as a lot since have been awful. Though they have redeemed themselves with a few good fragrances since those days.

And I do like the new bullet size deodorants that Lynx/Axe do, handy for when you are out and about.

Spot on Jack. Voodoo ('99) was the last good one until Dark Temptation in 2008, followed by Instinct and Fever late last year/early this year.

Thankfully Africa seemed to be unique in avoiding the Lynx cull!

To follow up on Brut: one of the things that gets way overplayed is the reformulation. True, the orginal was more dimensional and richer. I have said this before: the original was better than Rive Gauche, IMO. But the current more linear scent esp. in the cologne is fine. Compartively and proportionately, it is closer to its original sense than Old Spice's reformulation, IMO. What also gets overplayed with Brut is overapplication. In my experience walking around, I have encountered far more overapplications of Old Spice. While I can recommend Old Spice, there are few scents worse in overapplication results than Old Spice which as a skin scent is fine, IMO, only using the cologne.

Will be putting on some Brut in just awhile...
    Last edited by ortho123; 25th September 2009 at 06:57 PM.

Canoe, 2 oz bottle is about 10 dollars. it's a great Classic. Pinauad Clubman After shave / EDC. very large bottle about 8 dollars, Also Clubman Special Reserve. Stetson, Aspen, English Leather, Brut.

Haha yeah Avon ftw!

Quote Originally Posted by ortho123 View Post
    Will be putting on some Brut in just awhile...
    Good choice!

As for overapplication... if someone wants to over-do it with the application, I suggest getting the splash-on lotion of Brut since that is designed for liberal application. The aftershave only needs a small splash by comparison for a good effect, and the cologne, well that really only needs one of two sprays at most IMHO.

Brummel!

The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

I think the most satisfying thing is getting a good cheapo. Of course, you strike out most of the time, but what will you do? All of the following are readily available for ten bucks or under.

Everlast Original 1910
    Bod Body Heat
    Axe Lab
    Adidias Victory League
    Cuba Gold/Red
    Paris Hilton for Men
    Just Me Paris Hilton for Men
    Hummer H2
    Zirh by Zirh

Another underrated drugstore/mass-market frag my be Pitralon classic (the green package, containing reportedly genuine, pure cedar oil) sadly almost unobtainable outside the German-speaking European countries (Germany, Austria, Switzerland), but once available, real good value for money, sharing some common notes with YSL pour Homme Concentree and even YSL Rive Gauche, all this at only 3-5 Euros the 100 ml EDT bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by ortho123 View Post
    To follow up on Brut: one of the things that gets way overplayed is the reformulation. True, the orginal was more dimensional and richer. I have said this before: the original was better than Rive Gauche, IMO.
    I've heard people rave about Rive Gauche on here so tried it today for the first time. I thought it was awful. Dated and too feminine... and by feminine, I'm talking something my dear old Nan would have worn. Brut, even in it's current form is miles ahead of this over-priced out-dated scent of fail.

Ooops, think I may have just opened a can of worms! LOL

Back on topic... acquired one of the new ADDICTION scents today for a couple of quid.... Addiction Fever.... it's not bad. Well worth the cheap price. When Addiction was owned by Faberge, they had some awesome scents (especially Spice Fire) but I can't stand the new ones (especially the red one "with pheromones") but this one is at least okay.
    Last edited by Robbo1979; 27th September 2009 at 08:39 PM.

I've heard people rave about Rive Gauche on here so tried it today for the first time. I thought it was awful. Dated and too feminine... and by feminine, I'm talking something my dear old Nan would have worn. Brut, even in it's current form is miles ahead of this over-priced out-dated scent of fail.

Ooops, think I may have just opened a can of worms! LOL

Back on topic... acquired one of the new ADDICTION scents today for a couple of quid.... Addiction Fever.... it's not bad. Well worth the cheap price. When Addiction was owned by Faberge, they had some awesome scents (especially Spice Fire) but I can't stand the new ones (especially the red one "with pheromones") but this one is at least okay.
    Let me add some worms...

...the current Brut I also like better than Rive Gauche...with the patchouli in RG somehow either downplayed (ignored) or highlighted by its admirers.
    Last edited by ortho123; 30th September 2009 at 01:45 PM.