Code of Conduct

Default An "impossible" scent by Villoresi: Virginia

I received a sample from Gianni Campagna Zagara from a friendly German perfumista (too feminine) and as an extra she put in a vial of a Villoroesi scent I have never heard of (it's not on the V. website either). It's named Virginia and it's impossible because it is built around an immortelle note - and I actually like it . I could never bear Sables and absolutely despise Eau Noire, really had written off immortelle because it always came across as "Maggi" (Swiss liquid spice) to me. But this scent emphasizes the sheer herbacity, upping it too almost boozy degrees (Jägermeister anyone?) and adding anisic-licorice and dry woody notes and it's rather intriguing. Has anyone ever heard of this stuff? A discontinued scent or a limited edition?
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Default Re: An "impossible" scent by Villoresi: Virginia

God damn it! Now I'm in intrigued!! I LOVE immortelle; I like Sables and looove Eau Noire. Even when I smell a perfume I've never heard of before and I wonder why I like it so much, after researching I discover it has immortelle. Well, one thing's for sure, I'll look into it

I've never heard of it either! Perhaps it was in the same era as Tropicana. Villoresi's fragrances are beautiful things.

He seems fairly approachable, perhaps consider giving him a call: +39 055 23 41 187
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

It might be a bespoke perfume for her or for someone else by Villoresi.
    -

Basenotes Plus

Could be, like zz says.

He (LV) does seem to be rather approachable. I'm sure you could contact him & inquire.

Also, you could ask your friend where she got it.

Yes Virginia, there's a Lorenzo Villoresi.

My source told me, Virginia and Ylang Ylang were two limited edition perfumes created for selected perfumeries (she bought it in Italy). She's offering me the whole bottle, I may actually consider that.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Oooh! That sounds fab t_g_l! Any kind of LV limited edition would be wonderful to have

Yes, that's it. I had inquired a few years ago at the same time I purchased the (supposedly) last two bottles of Tropicana in his studio. They sent me the contact information to obtain Virginia but sadly, the computer it was on crashed and I never got it back.
    I recall a review stating it was a simple tobacco scent, other than that, I don't have any specifics.

BTW, Tropicana is very gourmand with a few different fruit notes and some vanilla/chocolate. It's not heavy at all though. I would have thought it would have been very popular if it had the same distribution,(initially) that his other work got. This one was not made for any other perfumery though, it was an original part of the LV lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    My source told me, Virginia and Ylang Ylang were two limited edition perfumes created for selected perfumeries (she bought it in Italy). She's offering me the whole bottle, I may actually consider that.
    Last edited by evogel; 21st May 2009 at 10:58 PM.

So it was a bespoke fragrance of sorts. Any information on the notes pyramids ?
    -

Quote Originally Posted by evogel View Post
    I recall a review stating it was a simple tobacco scent, other than that, I don't have any specifics.
    The tobacco that's in it is rather like Vintage Tabarome's, dark with a hint of bitter chocolate. It is not nearly as complex and also not as "stuffy" as VT. But the kitchen-herb / celery salt aspect in it puts this more in the Phileas/Yatagan camp for me than than in the Tabaco / Acqua di Cuba / Alt-Innsbruck group. From what I can tell it seems rather static.
    My Wardrobe

Very interesting. The kitchen herbs, celery salt combo sound like a turn off to me. I hope the tobacco, etc. balances it out. Yatagan with tobacco does actually sound intriguing. :-) I do recall the mention that is was simple and static.
    If you e-mail LV, I am sure they can give you more specifics. I wish I could somehow get that e-mail back that was lost. Aside from specifics on Virginia and Tropicana, it had a wealth of other information about notes,origins and the original names of some of his scents that I haven't seen elsewhere.

The tobacco that's in it is rather like Vintage Tabarome's, dark with a hint of bitter chocolate. It is not nearly as complex and also not as "stuffy" as VT. But the kitchen-herb / celery salt aspect in it puts this more in the Phileas/Yatagan camp for me than than in the Tabaco / Acqua di Cuba / Alt-Innsbruck group. From what I can tell it seems rather static.

Can somebody volunteer to get in touch and share the knowledge they receive? I think I speak for quite a few Villoresi fans when I say that I'm really anticipating the new releases and am curious what the plans are for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by evogel View Post
    Very interesting. The kitchen herbs, celery salt combo sound like a turn off to me. I hope the tobacco, etc. balances it out. Yatagan with tobacco does actually sound intriguing. :-) I do recall the mention that is was simple and static.
    If you e-mail LV, I am sure they can give you more specifics. I wish I could somehow get that e-mail back that was lost. Aside from specifics on Virginia and Tropicana, it had a wealth of other information about notes,origins and the original names of some of his scents that I haven't seen elsewhere.

I thought I'd resurrect this thread to let you know I was finally able to purchase that bottle of Villoresi Virginia. I wore some from my small decant today and still love it. Dry tobacco leaf, salty immortelle, a dab of earthy patchouli, full, but in no way dense, it's quite close to a fine cigar.
    My Wardrobe

I thought I'd resurrect this thread to let you know I was finally able to purchase that bottle of Villoresi Virginia. I wore some from my small decant today and still love it. Dry tobacco leaf, salty immortelle, a dab of earthy patchouli, full, but in no way dense, it's quite close to a fine cigar.
    Hey Tom,

How does it compare to Profumo.it Tabac?

I just got a message from one of Lorenzo Villoresi's assistants that Virginia will be joining the recently introduced "Vintage Collection," but she couldn't tell me exactly when. I'm really looking forward to trying this one!

Interesting news, thanks!

I'm an immortelle-phobe - I 'respect' the note and can see how it has been masterfully employed in Sables, Eau Noire et al, also the recent Fate Man - but you won't catch my dead wearing it . . . altho I do own the first release of 1740.

That said, and five years since tgl mentioned he enjoyed Virginia, I absolutely love l'Occitane's Immortelle de Corse from a couple of years ago. I would recommend it to anyone who likes the note and even one or two here who may not - almost a floral tobacco with a unique sparkle about that blew me away. It won a 'new perfumer' award in Paris for the lady who created it.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov